Simply more's impact on current bookings?

Nashna

25 minutes ago, Nashna said:

From my experiences sailing SB, AZ, and Regent.  The packages they offer are preferable to us compared to O's.  Unless the new pricing is much higher, we prefer O's simply more over their current packages.  It would have been nice for O to include the gratuities in the new pricing instead of the shore excursions.  However, our TA always includes the gratuities on our bookings so that is not a major issue.  Hopefully, O will settle some past passengers' angst with the new program by modestly increasing their rates at the beginning of the simply more rollout.

@Nashna I love the way you write and share information.

Cruise well and enjoy every moment. 

• Like 1

On 6/18/2023 at 9:41 AM, Godblessourhome said:

Viking includes one shore excursion EACH DAY AT PORT!!  Not just a set small amount of shore excursion credit which is not enough to cover a shore excursion each day at port.

They do. One to choose from in each port generally a walking tour or a bus tour. The only time we used them was to get into a city center, we would ask the guide what time to meet back, and go DIY. We still gave the tour guide a tip, but we didn’t follow the group. For us they were a worthless inclusion in the cost - but we are also not excursions fans. We have heard from many who do enjoy excursions that some of the walking ones were good (probably greatly depends on the tour guide, as is normally the case), but the bus tours are mostly scenic drives.  

Edited by Vineyard View
  • Like 4

On 6/16/2023 at 2:19 PM, susiesan said:
  • When you choose cruise-only fare under the simplyMORE program you are excluding air only, all of the other amenity changes outlined will be included.

I'm glad my cruise is September 2023 and it will likely be my last Oceania cruise. If I can't book cruise only, which means all I want to pay for is the cabin, then I will no longer be an Oceania customer. I don't want more, I am happy with the way I travel with Oceania now. The next cruise after Sept. 2 Sirena is booked with Azamara. They will likely become my new favorite cruise line.

Don’t forget Windstar, excellent cruiseline on par with Az and O.

• Like 2

On 6/16/2023 at 12:22 PM, Sthrngary said:

I have seen this happen on other brands in the past.  Specifically change.  The post here represent the exact same posts from the past.  The question is why?  Change is difficult for MOST of us.  MOST of us like knowing the rules to the game and accepting them.  Human nature really.

I have been on this board now since I booked my first Oceania Cruise mid-2022.  I read, learn, post and appreciate most of the quality of members.  The tone that Oceania had to change some of their policies have been discussed, rehashed and debated. The general consensus was, clean up your act Oceania, you are confusing some folks especially the new folks. For me, it took a bit to get the program but after some thought, I got it.  That was with the help of some loyal long time guests so thank you.

Now my personal opinion which I don't expect for anyone to agree with or take as important.  Oceania is now attempting to establish themselves with things that would me more like the "All-Inclusive" luxury brands. Reading the notes above, it is more like All Inclusive Lite. If you look at the drink program, nothing much really changes per the notes.  The only real change is you get it and there for pay for the wine and beer program.  If you don't drink, you still have it.  that will make a certain group upset.  On the excursions, many folks don't like the cost of the brands excursions so they do it on their own.  Now they have to use some of what they believe is over price excursions with the credit provided.  Those that so often claim "The only way to go is Cruise-Only" lose that opportunity and feel upset about that. 

The reaction is we won't use Oceania again or we will think twice.  From Oceania standpoint, their future if they want truly grow are the converts from Main Stream Brands that want to lift their experience.  This was a business decision to create a much better competitor to brands like Viking. 

Change is hard only for those that remember the way it used to be.  The future growth often looks at those that have no frame of reference.  Just my two cents.

Cruise well and enjoy every moment. 

Everyone is speculating about what will be. Can't we wait until July 1st and make more  informed decision?

• Like 1

We have only sailed O since 2007. 20 cruises and 5 pending.  
I understand changes happen…..however if O’s excursions weren’t so utterly terrible, being forced to take some of them wouldn’t be such a disappointment come July 1.

Those on this thread who have never cruised O and comment that they look forward to everything being included haven’t gone on O’s overpriced and underpromised excursions.  Nor have they used O air and been assigned 3 stops to Europe. 
There’s a strong reason why many of us love O, but always book Cruise Only.

Edited by Jayne E
Typo
  • Like 7

57 minutes ago, Jayne E said:

We have only sailed O since 2007. 20 cruises and 5 pending.  
I understand changes happen…..however if O’s excursions weren’t so utterly terrible, being forced to take some of them wouldn’t be such a disappointment come July 1.

Those on this thread who have never cruised O and comment that they look forward to everything being included haven’t gone on O’s overpriced and underpromised excursions.  Nor have they used O air and been assigned 3 stops to Europe. 
There’s a strong reason why many of us love O, but always book Cruise Only.

From what I've been reading, you won't be forced to take them, but you will have credit to use towards them. I'm not quite sure how that will work. Maybe you will have to take a few to use up those credits. I don't really know.

16 minutes ago, Rainbow3fe said:

From what I've been reading, you won't be forced to take them, but you will have credit to use towards them. I'm not quite sure how that will work. Maybe you will have to take a few to use up those credits. I don't really know.

I think what @Jayne E meant was that the credit will be built into the price, so we will be paying for the excursions, whether we take them or not. So it's like being forced to take them if we want our money's worth.

Edited by 1985rz1
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 2

I just want to put in my two cents worth regarding O's excursions.  We have only taken two cruises with Oceania and booked several excursions with the cruise line.  They were all very good.  We also booked a few with other passengers that we met pre-cruise on Cruise Critic that were also very good.  And we have rented cars in some ports.  All in all, I felt we got good value for the Oceania excursions.

• Like 4

On Marina now. No mention of any changes. Perhaps the crew doesn’t know about it.  
probably, your best place to get info will be your TA.  Promo if booking onboard doesn’t include any reduced fares. When we booked onboard in 2022, we got reduced fares, OBC, and reduced deposits. It was a good deal. Now booking onboard includes reduced deposits and OBC varying with length of cruise.  

• Thanks 1

Yesterday we cancelled a Marina cruise around South America. This was mainly due to O’s new cancellation policy (151-180 Days Prior - $250 per guest administrative fee+) but also because of the “simply more” program. Under the soon to be defunct “your world, your way” OLife program Oceania offered us good value but I suspect this will no longer be the case. We’re already looking at our former preferred line for future bookings.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Classiccruiser777 said:

Yesterday we cancelled a Marina cruise around South America. This was mainly due to O’s new cancellation policy (151-180 Days Prior - $250 per guest administrative fee+) but also because of the “simply more” program. Under the soon to be defunct “your world, your way” OLife program Oceania offered us good value but I suspect this will no longer be the case. We’re already looking at our former preferred line for future bookings.

Aw that's unfortunate. We were told that previously booked cruises will not be changed when the new rates and plans are introduced.  You would have been able to keep whatever you originally chose.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Rainbow3fe said:

Aw that's unfortunate. We were told that previously booked cruises will not be changed when the new rates and plans are introduced.  You would have been able to keep whatever you originally chose.

Agree…present bookings are in accordance with a contract and if terms are Cruise Only, it would appear that booking would stay “as is”.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Rainbow3fe said:

I’m aware of that but let’s just say our perception of Oceania has changed.

• Like 4

I am awaiting my first and last O cruise this August.

We are not interested in paying for alcohol which we do not use, shore excursions that we rarely use, OBC for stuff or services we never purchase on a ship. 

We do cruise only and customize which is a major reason we moved from Celebrity to Oceania like many others.

So if the intelligence presented thus far here on CC is true, we will not patronize O again.

It appears to me to be a money grab (positive for O) and a money saving as they degrade food and service levels (positive for O). I do not see any upside for me, the Customer.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Heartfelttraveler said:

I just want to put in my two cents worth regarding O's excursions.  We have only taken two cruises with Oceania and booked several excursions with the cruise line.  They were all very good.  We also booked a few with other passengers that we met pre-cruise on Cruise Critic that were also very good.  And we have rented cars in some ports.  All in all, I felt we got good value for the Oceania excursions.

How many people did you have on average on O excursions? And where was the cruise?

3 minutes ago, Classiccruiser777 said:

I’m aware of that but let’s just say our perception of Oceania has changed.

I believe they are doing this out of necessity in order to compete with others like Viking and to maintain the premium experience. Unfortunately O may no longer be for you. I hope you enjoy your future cruises with whatever cruise lines you choose. 

• Like 1

@Classiccruiser777I also find it stressful especially since in order to get insurance that is less expensive and covers pre existing or cancel any reason etc. you have to purchase it at the time of deposit or within days of it.  So then you are already in financially for the cost of the insurance.  The deposit period is very punitive.  Forget the $250. you are quickly in the 10% penalty as well. As far as the Simply More I am a bit disappointed as I prefer to book my own private excursions and don’t drink much.  Waiting to see what the increase in costs will be.  You will have the choice of switching to Simply More if already booked but many of us understand your angst.

• Like 2

If I cancelled cruises every time a cruise line made a change in the pricing/cancellation policies, I would run out of cruise lines very quickly..

btw, as far as I know, O is still one of the very few lines that has a 100% deposit refund policy if cancelled before the penalty period starts.

• Like 4

On several occasions, within 180 days prior, O has made major changes to itinerary, forcing us to cancel. Example: 4 ports in Croatia replaced with 3 Turkey ports+sea day. 
There is nothing in O’s cancellation policy allowing no penalty cancellation for such a situation.  Will be at the mercy of pleading your case to O 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Jayne E said:

On several occasions, within 180 days prior, O has made major changes to itinerary, forcing us to cancel. Example: 4 ports in Croatia replaced with 3 Turkey ports+sea day. 
There is nothing in O’s cancellation policy allowing no penalty cancellation for such a situation.  Will be at the mercy of pleading your case to O 

I believe this can happen with any line.

We sailed with SS last year, and less than 2 months prior to the sailing, they cancelled 3 days in Qatar. This was devastating to many guests who wanted to attend the World Cup. They did not provide an option to cancel.

image.png.3a6fe381f2b7cad271aa7b09ee6bd983.png

Got this on October 19 for Dec.8 sailing.

Edited by ak1004
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Jayne E said:

Good point. Was your TA helpful in that situation?

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Jayne E said:

10% penalty for180 days out +$250 pp is harsh, especially in light of the average age of O passengers. At least the penalty should be issued as a FCC.  

As I noted before not sure if this is just another example of one area of Oceania not being able to communicate with another, but whereas above is what is indicated on their website I just booked a cruise on Monday and BOTH the Invoice and the Ticket Contract (the legal contract) indicate the cancellation penalty for my cruise of under 15 days for the 180-91 days to be only the $250 Application fee. 🤷🏻‍♂️

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, EJL2023 said:

As I noted before not sure if this is just another example of one area of Oceania not being able to communicate with another, but whereas above is what is indicated on their website I just booked a cruise on Monday and BOTH the Invoice and the Ticket Contract (the legal contract) indicate the cancellation penalty for my cruise of under 15 days for the 180-91 days to be only the $250 Application fee. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Interesting. Maybe this is a recent change and they have some kind of grace period?