Simply more's impact on current bookings?

Nashna

28 minutes ago, jonthomas said:

Correction...transfers have  always been included since we have done our 3 cruises this year, so it's not new.

Jon you are new to cruising with Oceania but the transfers were always extra  charge with Oceania.

When you said always I was under the impression youmeant since we started..20 years ago

Not sure the exact date it changed but it was after Covid....I do agree it was a good change..

Jancruz1

Edited by Jancruz
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, Jancruz said:

You are incorrect it did come from Oceania

Jancruz1

Thanks Jancruz, most definitely you are right. While you’re much better informed I responded to the the post of the person who provided their TA’s interpretation of the information collected during the webinar with Oceania. Hopefully, we all will find the details directly on the Oceania website soon.

22 minutes ago, osandomir said:

Thanks Jancruz, most definitely you are right. While you’re much better informed I responded to the the post of the person who provided their TA’s interpretation of the information collected during the webinar with Oceania. Hopefully, we all will find the details directly on the Oceania website soon.

No, I never said they were the TAs' interpretations.  That was your characterization.  I said I was not quoting a document fro O, but posting the notes from a TA that agreed with what was posted by 2 other TAs.  Sorry if you misunderstood.

Edited by 1985rz1

1 hour ago, 1985rz1 said:

No, I never said they were the TAs' interpretations.  That was your characterization.  I said I was not quoting a document fro O, but posting the notes from a TA that agreed with what was posted by 2 other TAs.  Sorry if you misunderstood.

Actually, that’s exactly how I understood your post. It’s great you were able to get your information from 3 different TA. I just mentioned it wasn’t from Oceania that you also confirmed in your other post. But it’s really not that critical right now as we’ll learn from the source (Oceania) soon.

9 minutes ago, osandomir said:

Actually, that’s exactly how I understood your post. It’s great you were able to get your information from 3 different TA. I just mentioned it wasn’t from Oceania that you also confirmed in your other post. But it’s really not that critical right now as we’ll learn from the source (Oceania) soon.

So the information that was provided to the TA's in the webinar put on by O which included flyers (prepared by O) and details of the aspects of Simply More that were in print with bullet points,  you consider the source not Oceania?  The fact that every TA that has commented on this topic and other topics concerning Simply More have all stated the exact same information is interpretation and they all interpreted exactly the same....  The only information that has not been conveyed by O is the pricing for the cruises after Simply More takes effect.  Not sure if your problem is you don't like the message and are hoping that it will be different when it take effect on 01JUL?  

• Like 1

On 6/16/2023 at 12:22 PM, Sthrngary said:

I have seen this happen on other brands in the past.  Specifically change.  The post here represent the exact same posts from the past.  The question is why?  Change is difficult for MOST of us.  MOST of us like knowing the rules to the game and accepting them.  Human nature really.

I have been on this board now since I booked my first Oceania Cruise mid-2022.  I read, learn, post and appreciate most of the quality of members.  The tone that Oceania had to change some of their policies have been discussed, rehashed and debated. The general consensus was, clean up your act Oceania, you are confusing some folks especially the new folks. For me, it took a bit to get the program but after some thought, I got it.  That was with the help of some loyal long time guests so thank you.

Now my personal opinion which I don't expect for anyone to agree with or take as important.  Oceania is now attempting to establish themselves with things that would me more like the "All-Inclusive" luxury brands. Reading the notes above, it is more like All Inclusive Lite. If you look at the drink program, nothing much really changes per the notes.  The only real change is you get it and there for pay for the wine and beer program.  If you don't drink, you still have it.  that will make a certain group upset.  On the excursions, many folks don't like the cost of the brands excursions so they do it on their own.  Now they have to use some of what they believe is over price excursions with the credit provided.  Those that so often claim "The only way to go is Cruise-Only" lose that opportunity and feel upset about that. 

The reaction is we won't use Oceania again or we will think twice.  From Oceania standpoint, their future if they want truly grow are the converts from Main Stream Brands that want to lift their experience.  This was a business decision to create a much better competitor to brands like Viking. 

Change is hard only for those that remember the way it used to be.  The future growth often looks at those that have no frame of reference.  Just my two cents.

Cruise well and enjoy every moment. 

Here’s my two cents from a loyal customer with 20 O cruises, all Cruise Only.  As I wind up with extensive shipboard credit…$500 Platinum, TA and Shareholder, we’ve lately taken one O excursion to use up some of the credits. They are way overpriced, often delayed with long wait time in lounge, shortened time than advertised and overall quite poor.
On one, majority of Catamaran seating was on the floor. On another, dropped off at the wrong place and long walk in hot sun. On return, bus was an hour late and waited along the road.  My leg was cut from a sharp piece of metal protruding from seat leg.

I respect your two cents regarding future growth, but yes, you haven’t sailed previously sailed O. 
BTW: if my math is correct, being given cash credit to pay for “full price” excursions compared to paying $100 pp on OLife for excursions priced up to $199 pp, plus a higher priced cruise is a double price hike. Implementing cash credit for any purchase would have been more flexible…..spa, wine tastings, bingo, cosmetics, etc. 
Regarding lunch/dinner with drinks, those on full day private tours do not have lunch onboard. MDR ceased being open everyday for lunch several years ago. Now only sea days. Drinks at lunch in Terrace/Waves will likely be under utilized. 
We’re booked Cruise Only into 2025 and def turned out to be a good thing. Will reevaluate choices comparing to SS or SB. 

• Like 7

1 hour ago, basor said:

So the information that was provided to the TA's in the webinar put on by O which included flyers (prepared by O) and details of the aspects of Simply More that were in print with bullet points,  you consider the source not Oceania?  The fact that every TA that has commented on this topic and other topics concerning Simply More have all stated the exact same information is interpretation and they all interpreted exactly the same....  The only information that has not been conveyed by O is the pricing for the cruises after Simply More takes effect.  Not sure if your problem is you don't like the message and are hoping that it will be different when it take effect on 01JUL?  

No, I didn’t say that interpretation was wrong or right. I actually appreciate the information that was provided. All I mentioned that I’ll still be interested to learn from the source - official Oceania website. BTW, it wasn’t possible for me to figure out that some comments were from the TAs themselves. I’m sorry if my post offended anyone personally.

Personally, I’m not hoping that something will be critically different about Simply More. From my posts you can see that I never complained about any aspects of the posted information . The “cruise only fare” isn’t that important to us as we started to book more ship tours from the time when OLife was introduced. So, generally we don’t mind the excursion credit. We also will gladly pay more for the drinks if it is more choices and we can find something to our taste.

It wasn’t my intention to argue with anybody. You are correct - all will depend on the total price for that inclusions. Let’s leave it there and wait until this information is available.

Edited by osandomir
  • Like 1

OK, this is pure speculation, but I'm guessing tha O used the webinar to leak out the Simply More program to see the reactions from TAs and pax, mostly TAs.  I don’t expect any major changes, but there could be minor tweaks if the TA blowback is strong.

Just stirring the pot 👿.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

31 minutes ago, Jayne E said:

Here’s my two cents from a loyal customer with 20 O cruises, all Cruise Only.  As I wind up with extensive shipboard credit…$500 Platinum, TA and Shareholder, we’ve lately taken one O excursion to use up some of the credits. They are way overpriced, often delayed with long wait time in lounge, shortened time than advertised and overall quite poor.
On one, majority of Catamaran seating was on the floor. On another, dropped off at the wrong place and long walk in hot sun. On return, bus was an hour late and waited along the road.  My leg was cut from a sharp piece of metal protruding from seat leg.

I respect your two cents regarding future growth, but yes, you haven’t sailed previously sailed O. 
BTW: if my math is correct, being given cash credit to pay for “full price” excursions compared to paying $100 pp on OLife for excursions priced up to $199 pp, plus a higher priced cruise is a double price hike. Implementing cash credit for any purchase would have been more flexible…..spa, wine tastings, bingo, cosmetics, etc. 
Regarding lunch/dinner with drinks, those on full day private tours do not have lunch onboard. MDR ceased being open everyday for lunch several years ago. Now only sea days. Drinks at lunch in Terrace/Waves will likely be under utilized. 
We’re booked Cruise Only into 2025 and def turned out to be a good thing. Will reevaluate choices comparing to SS or SB. 

We had only 4 cruises with O, but unfortunately I have to agree with every word. We were on the same cruise, took 3 ships tours and 2 private tours, and you can clearly see the difference. 14-18 people compared to 40 people, guides who didn't know when the ship departs etc. Till now O was our favorite line, but we will definitely re evaluate once the new pricing is published (and I'm not optimistic, my estimate is at least 10-15% increase).  

Edited by ak1004
  • Like 4

This is just my opinion on a new program that has not even materialized, but I am going to hold my judgment about this until later.  Here are my reasons:

1.  This program has not even been implemented.  So we may not know exactly how it will be.

2.  We all know that the details of this program will be tweaked, perhaps greatly, even before it is fully implemented.  I think Oceania is revealing it now with minimal details so that they have some room to modify it before they put it in writing after hearing the reaction from the TAs.

3.  Unless I am mistaken, what is proposed is very similar (not exactly the same, though) to higher-end river cruises, like the now-defunct Crystal River Cruises.  We liked the inclusiveness of the pricing offered by Crystal River Cruises, especially on itineraries that visit cities new to us.  It just made our planning process simpler (though more “restricted”).

Anyways, I’m just going to see how this materializes.  And based on it, I might consider converting our current November reservation to the new program.

• Like 2

One thing I think is a given - Oceania is not going to loose money on any new programme that is introduced.  Current bookings - for those who wish to switch them to the new programme - will be repriced.  Upwards.  at the end of the day I think it will be "swings and roundabouts" but it will make Oceania sound better !!

• Like 5

9 hours ago, Jancruz said:

Jon you are new to cruising with Oceania but the transfers were always extra  charge with Oceania.

When you said always I was under the impression youmeant since we started..20 years ago

Not sure the exact date it changed but it was after Covid....I do agree it was a good change..

Jancruz1

Jan, if I remember correctly it was rolled out prior to Covid but was scheduled to start sometime in 2020. Then there was the shutdown and the transfers started with the restart. My only experience with it was last week from LHR to Southampton and was very impressed.  Excellent breakfast at the Sofitel hotel, a short wait, then a bus ride to the port

13 hours ago, Jancruz said:

Jancruz1

Yes always meaning for our last 3 cruises. O makes it sound like something new is coming. It is not new. Yes a very good change, so is no charge for deviation if you want to come in a day or two early. This allows for less stress making the ship. Crazy times with airlines. Although once we reach 15, that will be included anyway.

We are not experienced with Oceania Cruises but seriously looking at a couple itineraries. We have sailed Viking several times. One of the things that we do not like about Viking are the ‘included’ excursions in the pricing.  Add to that, their included excursions are either bus rides or walking tours.  We do not enjoy ship excursions. They are the same with every cruise line. They are the same tour guides for the most part. Case in point, we just sailed Seabourn and booked two excursions to use OBC. It was a lesson in that no matter whom you sail, if you do not care for ship excursions, you will not care for them on any line. They were not the highlight of our trip, that is certain. We also did not enjoy the included wine with Viking and always upgraded our package, but at least it was at a reasonable cost. In reading through this thread, I do see Oceania changing their model to look more like Viking, and the per day cost of sailing Viking has ramped up to the point that we can sail on Seabourn for a similar price as Viking, or slightly less on Oceania per the current Oceania options. I think that the idea to allow one to choose their excursions to apply your credit to is a step up from Viking…..but only if that holds value to you. Which for us, it does not. 
So I guess we need to make a decision on the itineraries we are looking at fairly quickly but I appreciate all the input and expertise on this thread, and others, regarding Oceania. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, ORV said:

Jan, if I remember correctly it was rolled out prior to Covid but was scheduled to start sometime in 2020. Then there was the shutdown and the transfers started with the restart. My only experience with it was last week from LHR to Southampton and was very impressed.  Excellent breakfast at the Sofitel hotel, a short wait, then a bus ride to the port

Orv, Thanks for the help..looking back you are correct..So glad you and Teresa are enjoying your RVA cruise..How is the trivia going??I will be so happy after July 1st when all the fuss is over and everything is cleared up..

Regards,

Jan

• Like 2

We have been coming in 3rd and a couple of times second, mostly by ourselves but occasionally with another couple. I’m ok with that score when it’s just the 2 of us. 

9 minutes ago, ORV said:

We have been coming in 3rd and a couple of times second, mostly by ourselves but occasionally with another couple. I’m ok with that score when it’s just the 2 of us. 

Aslong as you are getting those points..Whos the CD and do you like him/Her??

Jancruz1

13 minutes ago, Jancruz said:

Aslong as you are getting those points..Whos the CD and do you like him/Her??

Jancruz1

It’s John Clelford, he’s British. Speaks very proper English. 

• Haha 2

On 6/16/2023 at 7:12 AM, grifdoglover said:

Basically it’s the same as Viking now.

Viking includes one shore excursion EACH DAY AT PORT!!  Not just a set small amount of shore excursion credit which is not enough to cover a shore excursion each day at port.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Godblessourhome said:

Viking includes one shore excursion EACH DAY AT PORT!!  Not just a set small amount of shore excursion credit which is not enough to cover a shore excursion each day at port.

Do you have multiple excursions to choose from in each port and are they more than a walking or bus tour on Viking?  From what I have read of various Viking forums, you need to pay extra for any more in depth excursions.  For a 7 day cruise, each person receives $600.00 of credit which, if there are 5 ports would be $120.00 per port and you can decide which port to use it and which to DIY and then use on a more expensive excursion.  I prefer to have a choice of excursions and where to use the money since we like to DIY many ports.  That said, many prefer to DIY all ports and thus do not find value on Viking or the Simply More soon on Oceania.

28 minutes ago, basor said:

Do you have multiple excursions to choose from in each port and are they more than a walking or bus tour on Viking?  From what I have read of various Viking forums, you need to pay extra for any more in depth excursions.  For a 7 day cruise, each person receives $600.00 of credit which, if there are 5 ports would be $120.00 per port and you can decide which port to use it and which to DIY and then use on a more expensive excursion.  I prefer to have a choice of excursions and where to use the money since we like to DIY many ports.  That said, many prefer to DIY all ports and thus do not find value on Viking or the Simply More soon on Oceania.

I think the excursion credit is per stateroom, not per person.

Interesting, we have an October 17th booking, will watch for any info on this. We already had Olife added from one of the promotions, OBS, drink package and certain excursions up to $600 for the stateroom. We may re-evaluate our excursions, but will wait and see what the official word is.

• Like 2

From my experiences sailing SB, AZ, and Regent.  The packages they offer are preferable to us compared to O's.  Unless the new pricing is much higher, we prefer O's simply more over their current packages.  It would have been nice for O to include the gratuities in the new pricing instead of the shore excursions.  However, our TA always includes the gratuities on our bookings so that is not a major issue.  Hopefully, O will settle some past passengers' angst with the new program by modestly increasing their rates at the beginning of the simply more rollout.

• Thanks 1