Oasis of the Seas June 16 semi live review

Haven't had a kimmelweck yet, I'll let you know. Tonight was formal night, lots of folks dressed up and lots of folks like me not. We had dinner in the solarium, I made a nice salad so I was happy. It was delicious. I am currently on my balcony debating going out tonight or enjoying this lovely breeze and the calmness of the ocean. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, tennislvr8 said:

Haven't had a kimmelweck yet, I'll let you know. Tonight was formal night, lots of folks dressed up and lots of folks like me not. We had dinner in the solarium, I made a nice salad so I was happy. It was delicious. I am currently on my balcony debating going out tonight or enjoying this lovely breeze and the calmness of the ocean. 

Enjoy your balcony and a private moment with the sea!

Thanks for sharing your voyage with us.

😉

11 hours ago, Engineroom Snipe said:

Last April, on The Enchantment of the Seas,  the kummelweck sandwich that I ate was OK. Not great, not terrible. It used to be that these sandwiches were superb and everyone raved about them. I hope things improve.

Those sandwiches have always been the same; meat sliced too thick and difficult to chew.   

19 hours ago, Engineroom Snipe said:

Like yourself,  I love cruising: I used to really enjoy the salad bar.

Could you describe or take a picture of the spread? There used to be like twenty plus items to make a meal from the salad bar. The last two cruises were disappointing. I am hoping that they change things to "go back to the future."

Hoping for the best......

So went to windjammer again today lunch. That's what the kids wanted. The salad bar literally was lettuce, tomatoes, cucumbers, peppers and carrots. They had three salad dressings: creamy Italian, honey mustard and balsamic. They had tuna salad and egg salad. It appears lots of people stayed on the ship while docked in Florida 

22 hours ago, Another_Critic said:

I leave the ship if it docks at CT-1.

I think PC is a refueling and restocking port for that itinerary.

Exactly. Much cheaper than restocking and fueling in NJ.

On 6/17/2023 at 7:47 PM, Mapleleafforever said:

I use to love those kummelweck sandwiches but sadly last month they were barely edible. The beef was so tough that it was next to impossible to take a bite without the entire slice coming out of the bun. Tried it a few times on different days and same thing. Jaw got a good workout when I did manage to rip a piece off....rip, not bite. 

They were good a few years ago , i am not a fan anymore . Way overrated in my opinion.

The salad bar was good though.

17 hours ago, tennislvr8 said:

So went to windjammer again today lunch. That's what the kids wanted. The salad bar literally was lettuce, tomatoes, cucumbers, peppers and carrots. They had three salad dressings: creamy Italian, honey mustard and balsamic. They had tuna salad and egg salad. It appears lots of people stayed on the ship while docked in Florida 

I appreciate your response. That is exactly what I have noticed too!

🥹

On 6/17/2023 at 2:38 PM, tennislvr8 said:

Lunch at the windjammer. It was lackluster and I generally prefer the windjammer. I had a difficult time finding something to eat. I didnt even like lettuce, it was iceberg.. last night they had spring mix. I know first world problems. I will be finding somewhere for lunch tomorrow:  playmakers, the solarium or the BBQ place.... Thats where I'll have lunch from now on... I'll also go to El loco fresh. 

The love and marriage game show, one of my favs was at 2pm.on the second day. I feel like it should be a night time activity. 

Shocked to hear that the love and marriage show is during the daytime.  Never seen that before.  We were on Oasis in March and will be again in a few weeks from NJ this time around.  Did you have to pre-book for the comedy show?  We did back in March, but it was not available for pre-booking for July.  Is it first come, first seated now?

The Windjammer was very poor in March on the Oasis compared to all other RCCL cruises we have done in the past.  Really thought when the ship got Amped, they would have made the Windjammer better.  The only good thing about it is there are lots of seats (Unfortunately, food selections are very poor to what they were offering in 2022 - case in point, the salad selections...or lack thereof).

23 hours ago, tennislvr8 said:

I agree with the lack of choices in the Windjammer on Oasis. I was glad to see that it wasn’t the same on Liberty. What really disappointed me was the breakfast and lunch changes in the Solarium Bistro. There was practically no choices there for either meal and it was almost like they combined the 2 meals and just served the same things for both. I tried to go a couple of times and left without eating every time. Have you gone there for either breakfast or lunch? 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Russ Lomas said:

The only good thing about it is there are lots of seats (Unfortunately, food selections are very poor to what they were offering in 2022 - case in point, the salad selections...or lack thereof).

I could always count on the salad bar to be a great back-up option.

"Those were the days my friend, I thought they would never end...." (Mary Hopkin)

Oh the inhumanity of it all, not the salad bar!

😭

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Engineroom Snipe said:

I could always count on the salad bar to be a great back-up option.

"Those were the days my friend, I thought they would never end...." (Mary Hopkin)

Oh the inhumanity of it all, not the salad bar!

😭

I used to love the salad bar they offered in the MDR at lunch, but that disappeared post-Covid.  The salad selections in the Windjammer were good, but then came the food cut costs of January 2023 and what once was a strength is now a definite weakness.  We are trying Princess for the 1st time in March due to RCCL high prices and cutbacks.  Not sure if it will be any better, but come March we will know for ourselves how Princess compares to RCCL for food.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Russ Lomas said:

Shocked to hear that the love and marriage show is during the daytime.  Never seen that before.  We were on Oasis in March and will be again in a few weeks from NJ this time around.  Did you have to pre-book for the comedy show?  We did back in March, but it was not available for pre-booking for July.  Is it first come, first seated now?

The Windjammer was very poor in March on the Oasis compared to all other RCCL cruises we have done in the past.  Really thought when the ship got Amped, they would have made the Windjammer better.  The only good thing about it is there are lots of seats (Unfortunately, food selections are very poor to what they were offering in 2022 - case in point, the salad selections...or lack thereof).

You do have to reserve the comedy shows but you can't until on the ship. I was on oasis out of NJ last July and windjammer was better than this time around. 

• Like 1

So I know there was a whole thread about cheapening royal Caribbean due to no creamer or whatever it was. 

No one can imagine disappointment in there NOT being oxtails. Caribbean night was a bust. No plantains either. Did I get enough to eat, yes I did. Did I over eat oxtails and plantains like you are supposed to on Caribbean night no I didn't.  

Today was a nice day in Nassau. But it rained very heavy for an hour or so. I had a salad for lunch in windjammer had a few more choices that yesterday, it was difficult not to though. I was saving space for Caribbean night in the windjammer. 

They cancelled the first water show yesterday due to lightening but the 10:30 show wasn't. 

I was on the Oasis last August. I don't know who the entertainment director is, but they must LOVE classic rock.

As you pass the English pub on deck 6, you'll hear classic rock songs played on guitar like Rocketman by Elton John and Hotel California by The Eagles. The next stop is the Schooner Bar on the deck above. You can hear the piano player belt out tunes like Rocketman by Elton John and Hotel California by The Eagles. Up a few decks is the Music Hall. We had a band play 8 times...and they played the same exact set 7 of the 8 times. They played classic rock tunes like Rocketman by Elton John and Hotel California by The Eagles. The last performance included Jazz music for some reason. Walking towards the back of the ship, you can enjoy a meal at Playmakers while listening to music like Rocketman by Elton John and Hotel California by The Eagles.

• Haha 5

7 hours ago, DiscoingGD said:

You guys are breaking my heart with your sandwich experiences 💔

"Don't go breaking my heart....." (Elton John and Kiki Dee) which was sung right after Rocket Man and Hotel California referred to in post #42 @Sizzlechest.

🤣

Edited by Engineroom Snipe
emphasis
  • Haha 6

Today we are in coco cay and there is a very nice breeze. We got a south beach cabana and I know this is a first

World problem but I don't like how people choose the spot right in front of our cabana on the beach. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, tennislvr8 said:

We got a south beach cabana and I know this is a first

World problem but I don't like how people choose the spot right in front of our cabana on the beach. 

Whenever I've been to Chill Island, the cabana area was roped off.  It's not at South Beach?

23 minutes ago, Another_Critic said:

Whenever I've been to Chill Island, the cabana area was roped off.  It's not at South Beach?

The back is not the front. People can walk up and down the beach at will. Some think it's a good decision to squat right in front. 

2 minutes ago, tennislvr8 said:

The back is not the front. People can walk up and down the beach at will. Some think it's a good decision to squat right in front. 

Actually, Chill Island was roped from the side ... cabana section down to the water.

But, I understand your frustration.

9 minutes ago, Another_Critic said:

Actually, Chill Island was roped from the side ... cabana section down to the water.

But, I understand your frustration.

Welp. We are in the first cabana closest to the snack shack. The people next to us asked those in front of their cabana to leave a walk way. So they moved more on front of ours. A out 20 min later here comes the dad. He was MAD. he said it's a free beach and they can be a anywhere they want. The other family said we paid for this cabana. He then said well we can't afford that. All unnesessery, he felt like he had the right to be in front of our cabanas. 

On 6/17/2023 at 7:03 PM, Engineroom Snipe said:

Like yourself,  I love cruising: I used to really enjoy the salad bar.

Could you describe or take a picture of the spread? There used to be like twenty plus items to make a meal from the salad bar. The last two cruises were disappointing. I am hoping that they change things to "go back to the future."

Hoping for the best......

nowhere near that on our April Oasis cruise. It was sad. Even the Park Cafe which used to have a fantastic salad bar went down in quantity of salad fixings available.

• Like 1