Oasis of the Seas June 16 semi live review

LauraS
This post was recognized by LauraS!

"And another from tennislvr8! Thank you for generously sharing your time at sea with everyone at Cruise Critic! Please consider submitting a review it to the site for publication when you return: Click: Write a Review."

tennislvr8 was awarded the badge '"Live from...."'

We, DH, DD, GS (9) and GD (4). We arrived at about 10:30-11:00, there was not very much traffice. The garage was for handicapped only we parked in the overflow lot. After security and check-in we walked right on the ship. It was chilly and cloudy all day. It rained a little before sail away which was freezing. They had a dance party on the promenade which was lively. We are on a GS and we get room cleaning two times a day and the movies are no longer free. I always say I'm going to do a love thread and start strong but never finish. I'll try this time. Any questions please let me know. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I haven't been on the Oasis since 2017. The two questions I have are:

1. Does the Solarium still have those big round loungers? I think they're meant for 2 people, but I enjoyed having a few drinks, sprawling out, and just stargazing in them at night. Much comfier than a standard deck chair.

2. Does the Park's Cafe still have those delicious Kummelweck sandwiches (or something similar)? They're made with a NY Strip loin slices (it's slow roasted like a Prime Rib) & served w/ au jus and horseradish. It was 100% my favorite food outside the MDR. Ate 3-4 of them every day after the gym.

Enjoy your cruise!

11 hours ago, DiscoingGD said:

1. Does the Solarium still have those big round loungers? I think they're meant for 2 people, but I enjoyed having a few drinks, sprawling out, and just stargazing in them at night. Much comfier than a standard deck chair.

2. Does the Park's Cafe still have those delicious Kummelweck sandwiches (or something similar)? They're made with a NY Strip loin slices (it's slow roasted like a Prime Rib) & served w/ au jus and horseradish. It was 100% my favorite food outside the MDR. Ate 3-4 of them every day after the gym.

Enjoy your cruise!

Yes and yes. 

• Like 2

Good morning. This is a relaxation cruise for me, I just finished a difficult year of teaching and I had knee surgery on Mar 29, even with the grands joining us I'm taking it easy. 

One update for today, both my husband and I use CPAP machines. I filled out the special needs form for an extension cord. It was not in our room upon arrival. My husband called housekeeping, at that point we had yet to meet our stateroom attendant. We didn't need an extension cord. There was an outlet on the side of the bed closest to the balcony (on the floor) and I am able to use the outlet on the vanity on the other side of the bed. We thought that was interesting. Last July we sailed oasis in a crown loft suite and needed an extension cord and the same two rooms (grand suite and crown loft) on anthem needed an extension cord. 

• Like 1

Lunch at the windjammer. It was lackluster and I generally prefer the windjammer. I had a difficult time finding something to eat. I didnt even like lettuce, it was iceberg.. last night they had spring mix. I know first world problems. I will be finding somewhere for lunch tomorrow:  playmakers, the solarium or the BBQ place.... Thats where I'll have lunch from now on... I'll also go to El loco fresh. 

The love and marriage game show, one of my favs was at 2pm.on the second day. I feel like it should be a night time activity. 

I am following as will be on the July 28 cruise.   If possible, when you dock in Port Canaveral can you let me know how far it is from where you dock to transportation  to the beach as I have mobility issues and have never been to PC before.  Many thanks.

5 minutes ago, elizabethbp said:

I am following as will be on the July 28 cruise.   If possible, when you dock in Port Canaveral can you let me know how far it is from where you dock to transportation  to the beach as I have mobility issues and have never been to PC before.  Many thanks.

Transportation is directly outside of the terminal.

7 minutes ago, elizabethbp said:

I have no plans to get off in port canaveral. Sorry. I'll try and ask though. 

39 minutes ago, tennislvr8 said:

Lunch at the windjammer. It was lackluster and I generally prefer the windjammer. I had a difficult time finding something to eat. I didnt even like lettuce, it was iceberg.. last night they had spring mix. I know first world problems. I will be finding somewhere for lunch tomorrow:  playmakers, the solarium or the BBQ place.... Thats where I'll have lunch from now on... I'll also go to El loco fresh. 

The love and marriage game show, one of my favs was at 2pm.on the second day. I feel like it should be a night time activity. 

We are onboard with you and completely concur on the selection at Windjammer, which is our preference for lunch. Lackluster is a good description. As usual the crew are trying to encourage people to go to other lunch venues including of course the up-charge ones. Maybe it's a conspiracy, make the food lackluster to get us to spend more on the specialty food lol. But otherwise the crew have been excellent so far. Although the Captain's jokes are pretty weak. 🙂

We only checked one bag at the curb and by 5:30 our stateroom attendant said he couldn't find it anywhere including Security, so he sent me down to Guest Services where they told me bags were delayed due to the rain. Our attendant said they were delayed due to the short turnaround and early departure. Then my wife calls me and says the bag arrived. The cabin tag fell off and they figured it out from the name on the other tag on the bag. Lesson learned is to never staple the paper tag to the bag. I need to get those plastic holders.

• Like 5

26 minutes ago, Pratique said:

We are onboard with you and completely concur on the selection at Windjammer, which is our preference for lunch. Lackluster is a good description. As usual the crew are trying to encourage people to go to other lunch venues including of course the up-charge ones. Maybe it's a conspiracy, make the food lackluster to get us to spend more on the specialty food lol. But otherwise the crew have been excellent so far. Although the Captain's jokes are pretty weak. 🙂

We only checked one bag at the curb and by 5:30 our stateroom attendant said he couldn't find it anywhere including Security, so he sent me down to Guest Services where they told me bags were delayed due to the rain. Our attendant said they were delayed due to the short turnaround and early departure. Then my wife calls me and says the bag arrived. The cabin tag fell off and they figured it out from the name on the other tag on the bag. Lesson learned is to never staple the paper tag to the bag. I need to get those plastic holders.

Yeah I feel like the windjammer are pushing the burger and hot dog station.  The sad part about the windjammer is I'm definitely a part of the I didn't have to shop for it, cook it or clean up after it club so for me to say lackluster it's pretty bad.  We luckily saw our bags down the hall when the rooms were open. The staff has been excellent. The weather ok.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, tennislvr8 said:

Yeah I feel like the windjammer are pushing the burger and hot dog station.  The sad part about the windjammer is I'm definitely a part of the I didn't have to shop for it, cook it or clean up after it club so for me to say lackluster it's pretty bad.  We luckily saw our bags down the hall when the rooms were open. The staff has been excellent. The weather ok.  

I hear you. At home when my wife asks me what to get for lunch I always say Windjammer and she rolls her eyes.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, tennislvr8 said:

Like yourself,  I love cruising: I used to really enjoy the salad bar.

Could you describe or take a picture of the spread? There used to be like twenty plus items to make a meal from the salad bar. The last two cruises were disappointing. I am hoping that they change things to "go back to the future."

Hoping for the best......

6 minutes ago, luckyinpa said:

word of note for florida. 3 weeks ago we stayed on the ship hoping to enjoy the empty ship. everyone else had the same idea! thankfully they all got off in nassau.

I think that everyone who has sailed this itinerary once does not leave the ship after the first sailing. Especially after getting to the dock later than expected or getting stuck in traffic trying to get to the parks in general.

Should just make it another sea day except that it saves RCI fuel and makes some extra cash on excursions.

I love Bayonne and Baltimore because I do not have to fly. That said, I am not booking more than once a year until they can change the itineraries.

Flying is so unpredictable and expensive. I am starting to think of other vacations.

20 hours ago, DiscoingGD said:

Enjoy your cruise!

I use to love those kummelweck sandwiches but sadly last month they were barely edible. The beef was so tough that it was next to impossible to take a bite without the entire slice coming out of the bun. Tried it a few times on different days and same thing. Jaw got a good workout when I did manage to rip a piece off....rip, not bite. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Mapleleafforever said:

I use to love those kummelweck sandwiches but sadly last month they were barely edible. The beef was so tough that it was next to impossible to take a bite without the entire slice coming out of the bun. Tried it a few times on different days and same thing. Jaw got a good workout when I did manage to rip a piece off....rip, not bite. 

Last April, on The Enchantment of the Seas,  the kummelweck sandwich that I ate was OK. Not great, not terrible. It used to be that these sandwiches were superb and everyone raved about them. I hope things improve.

33 minutes ago, Engineroom Snipe said:

I think that everyone who has sailed this itinerary once does not leave the ship after the first sailing. Especially after getting to the dock later than expected or getting stuck in traffic trying to get to the parks in general.

Should just make it another sea day except that it saves RCI fuel and makes some extra cash on excursions.

I leave the ship if it docks at CT-1.

I think PC is a refueling and restocking port for that itinerary.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Engineroom Snipe said:

Like yourself,  I love cruising: I used to really enjoy the salad bar.

Could you describe or take a picture of the spread? There used to be like twenty plus items to make a meal from the salad bar. The last two cruises were disappointing. I am hoping that they change things to "go back to the future."

Hoping for the best......

I'll get a pic tomorrow there def are not 20 things to make a salad. 

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Mapleleafforever said:

Agreed, they definitely aren't the same as in the past.