Prices 2024 Europe

Looking at prices for sailing on Anthem to Europe from Southampton 2024 and the prices are waay too expensive. The balcony grade we normally have is £1000pp more than this year on one 14 day cruise and another cruise is £2000pp more than we normally pay.

I know cruiselines are playing catch up but I doubt many cruisers from the UK can justify spending an extra £2000 for a 2024 cruise.

Also, itineraries are getting repetitive and there don't seem to be many Med cruises from Southampton for 2024.

Has anyone else in the UK noticed the hike in prices and lack of Med cruises from Southampton?

• Like 3

My 7-day Europe cruise for July 2024 is $500 more than my 12-day Asia cruise for July 2023. Not an apples to apples comparison, but I just put the deposit down on the Europe cruise (13 months in advance) and I didn't put my deposit down for the Asia cruise until 10 months in advance, so the fact that the shorter cruise being booked further in advance is already more expensive than a cruise that's almost twice as long, leads me to believe I shouldn't expect any price drops.

The cruise I booked for Asia never had a price drop. The price went up almost daily and was almost sold out 6 months ago. 

38 minutes ago, DisneyQueen999 said:

Looking at prices for sailing on Anthem to Europe from Southampton 2024 and the prices are waay too expensive. The balcony grade we normally have is £1000pp more than this year on one 14 day cruise and another cruise is £2000pp more than we normally pay.

I know cruiselines are playing catch up but I doubt many cruisers from the UK can justify spending an extra £2000 for a 2024 cruise.

Also, itineraries are getting repetitive and there don't seem to be many Med cruises from Southampton for 2024.

Has anyone else in the UK noticed the hike in prices and lack of Med cruises from Southampton?

Hi.

I have also noticed the price differences between this year and 2024.

I am hoping they are just testing the water and may bring them down if they have poor sales.

Have to wait and see.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, DisneyQueen999 said:

Some UK pax say that its cheaper to book through an American online travel agent. I guess you would get the benefit of price drops as well 🤷...maybe someone else whos done it can confirm. 

I've booked a couple years ago through a USA agent ,  but they were American cruises.

47 minutes ago, ARandomTraveler said:

My 7-day Europe cruise for July 2024 is $500 more than my 12-day Asia cruise for July 2023. Not an apples to apples comparison, but I just put the deposit down on the Europe cruise (13 months in advance) and I didn't put my deposit down for the Asia cruise until 10 months in advance, so the fact that the shorter cruise being booked further in advance is already more expensive than a cruise that's almost twice as long, leads me to believe I shouldn't expect any price drops.

The cruise I booked for Asia never had a price drop. The price went up almost daily and was almost sold out 6 months ago. 

I think European cruises have always been a bit more expensive, especially those that include Rome and Florence. But I'm not sure if RCI will have many UK passengers next year. It almost feels like they don't know the UK holiday market. There are far too many Norway/iceland cruises on sale from Southampton. We generally don't get a hot dry summer in the UK, so most Brits look to the warm areas in the Med for holidays not Scandinavia. Do RCI not realise that?

They are also building cruise ships bigger and bigger every year. It seems to be more of a pack em in and make more $$$'s mentality. I would rather cruise on a smaller ship that can go to more of the smaller ports and therefore get to see more places. Med itineraries are the same year on year and are lacking in variety.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, DisneyQueen999 said:

I think European cruises have always been a bit more expensive, especially those that include Rome and Florence. But I'm not sure if RCI will have many UK passengers next year. It almost feels like they don't know the UK holiday market. There are far too many Norway/iceland cruises on sale from Southampton. We generally don't get a hot dry summer in the UK, so most Brits look to the warm areas in the Med for holidays not Scandinavia. Do RCI not realise that?

They are also building cruise ships bigger and bigger every year. It seems to be more of a pack em in and make more $$$'s mentality. I would rather cruise on a smaller ship that can go to more of the smaller ports and therefore get to see more places. Med itineraries are the same year on year and are lacking in variety.

Independence is apparently coming in 2025 , she's big but a change from Anthem. Love Viking Crown Lounge and Grease show 

• Like 1

@DisneyQueen999 have you checked some of the Explorer and Voyager med itineraries next year… some nice itineraries! 

My friends are on Jewel in Flam, Norway today and it’s 80f! 

And it seems the UK had been put on the naughty step as it looks like a 18 year old ship will be sent to Southampton in 2025 to delight and entertain us 🤦‍♀️so be grateful for what Anthem offers us in 2024!!

54 minutes ago, DisneyQueen999 said:

But I'm not sure if RCI will have many UK passengers next year. It almost feels like they don't know the UK holiday market. There are far too many Norway/iceland cruises on sale from Southampton. We generally don't get a hot dry summer in the UK, so most Brits look to the warm areas in the Med for holidays not Scandinavia. Do RCI not realise that?

I think RCI realizes that they are a US based cruise line and they need to cater to Americans, not just Brits.

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Another_Critic said:

I think RCI realizes that they are a US based cruise line and they need to cater to Americans, not just Brits.

That’s an interesting point. Any idea as to the percentage of cruisers out of the Southampton that are not British?

It’s several years since I sailed from there and I wouldn’t be in a rush back but it seemed like the vast majority were British. 

From a very un scientific scan on my last anthem from uk I'd say over 80% were British.

My anthem in march from Bayonne we were told we were the only Brits on board as passengers. Joff told us that when we said hello! No idea if that was true but every voice was American/ Canadian that we heard.

I'd say the USA Market is vital to them but with more ships and bigger ships coming on line they have to seek out new markets. You can't sail all those big ships to Coco cay at once !

I'm not looking forward to Indi from UK..the way the economy is going with inflation and interest rates I got a feeling they will have to cut prices especially on an older ship. Maybe it will turn into a bargain. Who knows

• Like 3

1 hour ago, gavvy said:

From a very un scientific scan on my last anthem from uk I'd say over 80% were British.

My anthem in march from Bayonne we were told we were the only Brits on board as passengers. Joff told us that when we said hello! No idea if that was true but every voice was American/ Canadian that we heard.

I'd say the USA Market is vital to them but with more ships and bigger ships coming on line they have to seek out new markets. You can't sail all those big ships to Coco cay at once !

I'm not looking forward to Indi from UK..the way the economy is going with inflation and interest rates I got a feeling they will have to cut prices especially on an older ship. Maybe it will turn into a bargain. Who knows

1 hour ago, gavvy said:

We've sailed from Southampton for several years now (DH hates flying) and I'd say the majority of passengers have always been brits.

We've started looking at P&O now as their prices are more realistic. I've been told the food isn't quite as good as RCI but I can live with that for the price. Also P&O pricing includes gratuities so you know there's no add-on's. Itineraries are different too.

There was a 15 day Scandinavian cruise we were looking at with RCL (because it's more Baltics rather than Norway) but a balcony was over £4000 each 😱. You can do a caribbean cruise with P&O for over  3 weeks for that price.

4 minutes ago, DisneyQueen999 said:

There was a 15 day Scandinavian cruise we were looking at with RCL (because it's more Baltics rather than Norway) but a balcony was over £4000 each 😱. You can do a caribbean cruise with P&O for over  3 weeks for that price.

If its Serenade, its part of her world cruise and is mostly sold out now, hence the remaining few cabins are very expensive. Its a one off segment 

Edited by sgmn
  • Like 2

I agree with the OP. Royals prices out of southampton are very expensive and the itinary is repetitive if you have already done it. On top of that Anthem has been here a number of years now and is due to be replaced. Indy having been on her from sputhampton pre her make over i really enjoyed. Nothing to so with us "Brits" hating Anthem just fed up with lack of choice from royal in the UK.

There is so much competition now sailing from southampton, P&O very competitive and what you pay is what you pay, no exta service charge.....sorry graturites. MSC will soon have two brand new ships out of the UK, Virtuosa and Euribia??? 

Yes its a short flight to the Med for further Royal ships, but again expensive when you start to add filghts compaired to their competition. 

I think royal is putting Indy into southampton simply so they can lower prices as they do for all their older ships. Maybe they understand that we "Brits" are not loyal to one cruise line but want value for money. 🤷

• Like 3

1 hour ago, sgmn said:

If its Serenade, its part of her world cruise and is mostly sold out now, hence the remaining few cabins are very expensive. Its a one off segment 

I didn't notice what ship it was, I must have fainted when I saw the price.

Anyone who pays £4000 for that needs their head read.

I agree with FamilyCruiserUK I don't think RCI realise how much people earn in the UK....there's a cost of living crisis didn't you know! Brits are looking for value for money these days.

Edited by DisneyQueen999
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, FamilyCruiserUK said:

Nothing to so with us "Brits" hating Anthem just fed up with lack of choice from royal in the UK.

We will have had Anthem as the only ship sailing Nov to April from Cape Liberty for 8.5 years when she leaves in May 2024.  IIRC, she was the only ship until they started bringing in other ships during the spring to fall season.

Yes, we can drive to Baltimore to sail on a 25+ year old Vision class ship.  Otherwise, we have to fly to other ports.

Edited by Another_Critic

6 hours ago, FamilyCruiserUK said:

I agree with the OP. Royals prices out of southampton are very expensive and the itinary is repetitive if you have already done it. On top of that Anthem has been here a number of years now and is due to be replaced. Indy having been on her from sputhampton pre her make over i really enjoyed. Nothing to so with us "Brits" hating Anthem just fed up with lack of choice from royal in the UK.

There is so much competition now sailing from southampton, P&O very competitive and what you pay is what you pay, no exta service charge.....sorry graturites. MSC will soon have two brand new ships out of the UK, Virtuosa and Euribia??? 

Yes its a short flight to the Med for further Royal ships, but again expensive when you start to add filghts compaired to their competition. 

I think royal is putting Indy into southampton simply so they can lower prices as they do for all their older ships. Maybe they understand that we "Brits" are not loyal to one cruise line but want value for money. 🤷

Looks like Celebrity will have the Apex sailing from Southampton next summer. I came across that today while looking at an alternative to Royal out of Barcelona/Rome. 

Edited to add that the Apex is apparently the newest ship. Not a mega ship like the Oasis class, but looks pretty modern and nice. Not sure how the cost compares to Anthem.

Edited by ARandomTraveler
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Don’t book early! Just got an offer in for Celebrity Beyond for 10n end of July from Rome, fab itinerary starting at £701pp for inside.

X also do all inclusive tips/ Wi-Fi/ drinks for a few £££ more 

Edited by little britain
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, DisneyQueen999 said:

We've sailed from Southampton for several years now (DH hates flying) and I'd say the majority of passengers have always been brits.

We've started looking at P&O now as their prices are more realistic. I've been told the food isn't quite as good as RCI but I can live with that for the price. Also P&O pricing includes gratuities so you know there's no add-on's. Itineraries are different too.

Good luck with P & O.

just got back and said never again.

the food is like Roast Dinners all the time. 

the staff in the Dining room are so Miserable. as though they don,t want to be there.

but their not working for Tips now.

And that is when you actually get into the Dining Room with their Annoying App System.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

16 hours ago, little britain said:

And it seems the UK had been put on the naughty step as it looks like a 18 year old ship will be sent to Southampton in 2025 to delight and entertain us 🤦‍♀️so be grateful for what Anthem offers us in 2024!!

Naughty or is it the fjords are off limits in 2025?  Isn't 2025 when the new Norwegian emissions standards go into effect?

• As mentioned before, the Regulations on environmental safety for ships and mobile offshore units were amended by gradually phasing in strict environmental requirements in the world heritage fjords, including NOx emissions requirements with the Tier II requirements, effective as of 1 January 2002, and the Tier III requirements, which will come into effective on 1 January 2025

Edited by twangster
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, twangster said:

Naughty or is it the fjords are off limits in 2025?  Isn't 2025 when the new Norwegian emissions standards go into effect?

• As mentioned before, the Regulations on environmental safety for ships and mobile offshore units were amended by gradually phasing in strict environmental requirements in the world heritage fjords, including NOx emissions requirements with the Tier II requirements, effective as of 1 January 2002, and the Tier III requirements, which will come into effective on 1 January 2025

Yes, so we will have an 18 yr old ship that isn’t even allowed to go to Norway!!!  So even less choice of itineraries… 

2 minutes ago, little britain said:

Yes, so we will have an 18 yr old ship that isn’t even allowed to go to Norway!!!  So even less choice of itineraries… 

Neither is Anthem.  Likely why they pulled her out of the region.

CNBC just said prices are only 9% above 2019 prices lol. This means that despite all the hikes in prices they only actually sell rooms slightly above 4 year old prices. Carnival Group cant even get the 9%. 

As for 2024 i wouldnt worry about it. Prices always come down as they never sell cabins for the current prices. Give it 6 months and they will be same as this year. Booking for 2024 is a terrible idea during holiday season of 2023. Its a psychological trick to make you pay more. 

In 10 years ive never managed to book another cruise whilst on board for 12 months later. This should tell you everything you need to know. Ive always booked 3-6 months out. 

12 minutes ago, Pandamonia said:

CNBC just said prices are only 9% above 2019 prices lol. This means that despite all the hikes in prices they only actually sell rooms slightly above 4 year old prices. Carnival Group cant even get the 9%. 

As for 2024 i wouldnt worry about it. Prices always come down as they never sell cabins for the current prices. Give it 6 months and they will be same as this year. Booking for 2024 is a terrible idea during holiday season of 2023. Its a psychological trick to make you pay more. 

In 10 years ive never managed to book another cruise whilst on board for 12 months later. This should tell you everything you need to know. Ive always booked 3-6 months out. 

We're a bit limited because we don't do fly-cruises. We booked this month for a cruise sailing to the Canaries from Southampton early Oct 23 and there were only a handful of balconies left. I think if you are willing to fly there's more availability, but if you don't the pool to choose from is smaller and you are taking a chance if you book late unless you're not fussy about room category/deck/location.