Question re the Ascent

6 hours ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

The next Celebrity ship is in 2025 

There is 60 ships on order , with 134,457 Berths 

Going to hard to fill all these new and existing cabins 

IMG_5715.thumb.jpeg.e2b35b2292226e83b5d8e6b9cb8774b4.jpeg

Wow - this is amazing and concerning all at the same time.  Makes me fear for the future of the M class ships, which I love. I also have concerns about the continual crowding of many of the ports, which has caused some to completely eliminate cruise ships stops as of late.  As it is there are some so crowded you can barely walk around them, especially when one of the monster, floating resorts are docked there with you.  Sometimes progress is good. I guess we'll have to wait and see if all these new ships bring welcome changes, or more port restrictions and crowds.  It would be nice if it brought some prices down for sure!

7 minutes ago, phoenix_dream said:

Wow - this is amazing and concerning all at the same time.  Makes me fear for the future of the M class ships, which I love. I also have concerns about the continual crowding of many of the ports, which has caused some to completely eliminate cruise ships stops as of late.  As it is there are some so crowded you can barely walk around them, especially when one of the monster, floating resorts are docked there with you.  Sometimes progress is good. I guess we'll have to wait and see if all these new ships bring welcome changes, or more port restrictions and crowds.  It would be nice if it brought some prices down for sure!

That why we mostly do TAs , a lot of time we are the only ship in port 😁

They should Reno the M class and use them for interesting longer cruises maybe around Africa, Red Sea , could it sail down the Amazon? 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, phoenix_dream said:

I don't necessarily agree.  I completely understand it's function, purpose and efficiency.  And I don't like it.  It has nothing to do with being a new concept or that it is different.  I spend lots of time sitting on my balcony and relaxing when I cruise (which is often - 6-10 per year since retirement).  I cannot get that same experience in an IV cabin.  So unless I can afford a suite I don't sail that class.  For those who cruise differently, and don't use their balcony much, it could be a nice change.  But my point is that not everyone who dislikes it doesn't understand it.  We have good, solid reasons for not liking it.  I also don't happen to prefer the design or ambiance on E class ships overall, but that is a personal preference as well.  I will still sail them as I love Celebrity overall, but they are not my first choice for sure.

Sorry for the rant, but I get tired of people implying that the reason I don't like something new is because I can't handle something new, or don't understand change.  I am an intelligent person who has the right to have my own likes, dislikes, and opinions overall.  There are many new things Celebrity has done over the years that I am a big fan of.  IV's are not one of them.

I agree with you 100%, we will never again sail in any E Class ship in an IV cabin, if we can't get a reasonable Sky Suite or Aft facing cabin, we will look elsewhere to spend our cruising dollars.  I spend most of the time I am in my cabin sitting out on my open air balcony and sitting in a sunroom with a window that opens does not provide the same experience. On sea days I will not be sitting around the ship's pools basking in the sun, I will be enjoying my open balcony instead.  We have 3 upcoming E Class cruises all in Sky Suites. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, t18c97 said:

IMHO, if they would just change the HVAC system so it would run if the window was open but the doors going into the room were closed would eliminate a lot of the unhappiness with the cabin. 

That wouldn't change my opinion of them at all, still only a sunroom with a window that opens.

2 hours ago, t18c97 said:

IMHO, if they would just change the HVAC system so it would run if the window was open but the doors going into the room were closed would eliminate a lot of the unhappiness with the cabin. 

That's NEVER GOING TO HAPPEN for the same reason  the HVAC shuts off when you keep a traditional balcony door open. 

1 minute ago, kwokpot said:

That's NEVER GOING TO HAPPEN for the same reason  the HVAC shuts off when you keep a traditional balcony door open. 

That’s different, in your traditional room there is no second door between that door and the room. In the IV rooms there is that additional barrier/doors which can be closed to separate the outdoors from the conditioned area.

6 minutes ago, t18c97 said:

That’s different, in your traditional room there is no second door between that door and the room. In the IV rooms there is that additional barrier/doors which can be closed to separate the outdoors from the conditioned area.

Those folding bifold doors are just window dressing and act more like room dividers;they aren't airtight. People are wishing for things that are impossible for this very reason; the whole IV cabin is an indoor space, it was never and will never be a true outdoor space. Again, it's no different than opening a window in your bedroom. On the icon they did away with the bifold doors and use fabric curtains to separate the space. Again, the bifold doors were never meant to create a true outdoor space, it's all fakery. 

3 hours ago, phoenix_dream said:

I don't necessarily agree.  I completely understand it's function, purpose and efficiency.  And I don't like it.  It has nothing to do with being a new concept or that it is different.  I spend lots of time sitting on my balcony and relaxing when I cruise (which is often - 6-10 per year since retirement).  I cannot get that same experience in an IV cabin.  So unless I can afford a suite I don't sail that class.  For those who cruise differently, and don't use their balcony much, it could be a nice change.  But my point is that not everyone who dislikes it doesn't understand it.  We have good, solid reasons for not liking it.  I also don't happen to prefer the design or ambiance on E class ships overall, but that is a personal preference as well.  I will still sail them as I love Celebrity overall, but they are not my first choice for sure.

Sorry for the rant, but I get tired of people implying that the reason I don't like something new is because I can't handle something new, or don't understand change.  I am an intelligent person who has the right to have my own likes, dislikes, and opinions overall.  There are many new things Celebrity has done over the years that I am a big fan of.  IV's are not one of them.

You certainly do not have to explain yourself to me. I truly am not trying to besmirch your feelings and opinions because they differ from mine regarding Infinite Verandas. In fact, I really do not care how you or anyone else feels about them. I will continue to enjoy. Also, I have read more than once from naysayers that IV dwellers do not use the furthest outside extension of their cabins. DW and I use this area very much, perhaps more so than you use your “real balcony.”

We would have enjoyed an IV while cruising in Antarctica and spending hours outside on our balcony in sub-zero temperatures taking gorgeous pictures. An IV would have served the purpose very well in a much warmer and more comfortable environment. We did enjoy our cabin extension on more than one occasion in Europe and the Caribbean during heavy rainstorms when for several hours we would not have been able to use the “real balcony.”  

Do we enjoy the typical balconies, of course we do. And, we are happy that the different cabin extensions now have a place in our future cruising as well. I have purposely refrained from using the words balcony and veranda when referencing our IV cabin so as not to insult or offend real balcony purists. Some topics proffer sensitivities that cannot be suppressed. Of course, that is the last thing that I want to do.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, t18c97 said:

The bifold doors separating the Infinite Veranda from the cabin are not airtight. They will not effectively separate outside air from the air conditioned area. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, kwokpot said:

Those folding bifold doors are just window dressing and act more like room dividers;they aren't airtight. People are wishing for things that are impossible for this very reason; the whole IV cabin is an indoor space, it was never and will never be a true outdoor space. Again, it's no different than opening a window in your bedroom.

Exactly! The bifold doors are not airtight. The space is more useful since those ghastly huge chairs were replaced with ones that fit the space. The addition of glazing on the doors also helps when one partner (myself) wants to see the sunrise without waking the other partner (DH).

We are trying an IV cabin on the Ascent to see if we like it at all.  I think for cooler weather cruises they would be perfect.  We are on an eastern caribbean itinerary so we will see what we really think of it.  That said, we got such a great AI deal that I am not going to complain one bit.  When we were on the Edge in warm weather we spent a great deal of time out on the Edge bar and just around the ship so not sure if it will be that big of a deal.

• Like 1

On 7/1/2023 at 8:48 AM, Ex-Airbalancer said:

The next Celebrity ship is in 2025 

There is 60 ships on order , with 134,457 Berths 

Going to hard to fill all these new and existing cabins 

You aren't taking demand into consideration. In 2003 there were 12 million global cruise passengers, that number has since grown to almost 30 million in 2019 and projected at 39.5 million by 2027.

On 7/1/2023 at 8:30 AM, Silkroad said:

While it is true that RCL - like every other publicly held cruise company - emerged form the pandemic shutdown burdened with unanticipated debt, that is not the only reason Celebrity would be unlikely to commit to a new build for some time. Historically, there have been lulls between build cycles. There was a gap of six years between the launch of the last Millennium class ship (Connie) and the launch of Solstice. There was also a gap of six years between the launch of the last Solstice class ship (Reflection) and Edge. 

Edge 1 was ordered in December 2014 only 28 months after Reflection was launched. It's pretty much a given the wheels are in motion for the next class. 

On 6/30/2023 at 11:40 AM, Crazy planning mom said:

Just curious considering how controversial the infinite verandahs are, is Celebrity reducing the number of them on the Ascent?

No. It's the same as Beyond. 163 Aqua, 299 Concierge, 570 in the other IV categories for a total of 1,032. Edge has 918, Apex has 926. 

12 minutes ago, Jeremiah1212 said:

Edge 1 was ordered in December 2014 only 28 months after Reflection was launched. It's pretty much a given the wheels are in motion for the next class. 

Of course the contract with the shipbuilder is signed long before the first build begins. I didn’t say otherwise. However, given that the last Edge class ship won’t be launched until at least 2025, I wouldn’t imagine the wheels are in motion for a build just yet. I would agree that it’s possible that a design team is already floating concepts for the next build.

To the IV detractors, much to your dismay you are not going to wish the IV's away. In one form or another they are here to stay. You will just have to live with this thorn in your side, fly in your ointment, twist in your panties and elephant in your room. No doubt, someday some big pharmaceutical will have a pill or a salve to relieve the discomfort. In the meantime, have a hot cup of tea with a hot shot of bourbon and ponder the good old days when IV meant a needle in your arm with medicine flowing into your body through a plastic tube. That will certainly make you feel better. If that does not work, count backwards from Roman Numeral 4. It's not like you have no alternatives. Infinite Verandas will be full, with or without your support.

Much ado about nothing, I'm afraid.

To the OP. Did I mention how all-around good and interesting your sailing will be?

Edited by Spif Barwunkel
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Spif Barwunkel said:

To the IV detractors, much to your dismay you are not going to wish the IV's away. In one form or another they are here to stay. You will just have to live with this thorn in your side, fly in your ointment, twist in your panties and elephant in your room. No doubt, someday some big pharmaceutical will have a pill or a salve to relieve the discomfort. In the meantime, have a hot cup of tea with a hot shot of bourbon and ponder the good old days when IV meant a needle in your arm with medicine flowing into your body through a plastic tube. That will certainly make you feel better. If that does not work, count backwards from Roman Numeral 4. It's not like you have no alternatives. Infinite Verandas will be full, with or without your support.

Much ado about nothing, I'm afraid.

Agree and will always book only SV or DPV on the E class ships. I like having those options. If IVs were the only option we would move on to other ships. 

• Thanks 1