Detailed thoughts after June 23 QM2 Crossing

NE John

Host Hattie
This post was recognized by Host Hattie!

"Thank you for sharing your experience with everyone in the community. We'd like to encourage your to submit your review for publication to Cruise Critic as well."

NE John was awarded the badge 'Great Review'

In the wake of the the Halifax medical emergency delay and the horrible experience for those embarking after our Crossing, here are some thoughts to focus solely on our just finished TA experience. Note it’s our first time in “Grills” - PG for our 30th anniversary. Also, we’re not big cruise ship goer’s, we just like the Cunard vibe. 
Princess Grill Experience:

Cabin is certainly a nice upgrade with tons of storage and a real bathroom. The sitting area seemed cramped but the sofa is huge and the balcony is very large. All very livable for days of a Crossing or more. The bathtub used as a tub is not usable however. The dining experience was very good with 80% of the offerings we’d say very good to excellent. Everything we ordered from the a la carte menu was superb: Dorset lamb, Turbot, Chateaubriand, aged Prime beef. We had a off-menu request for an Indian curry vegetarian dinner and that was truly outstanding. The only failure was potato gnocchi (my Italian born wife offered to go back in the kitchen and show them how to really make gnocchi!) The service is efficient and kind; the service staff do not make themselves the center of attention. The room is certainly not as grand as Britannia but quiet and elegant. Lots of flambés and table side service. 
We loved the Grills lounge for drinks and afternoon tea. Kim, the server, remembered us and our room # after the first visit.  Outside Grills Terrace is not as bad as I read, there are plenty of loungers and drink service. 

State of QM2:

Contrary to all the negative reviews, there is some rust and west and tear but everything looked great. Every staff member was pleasant and welcoming. I saw little to detract from our voyage. Some pax may be used to more modern cruise ships and QM2 is not one of those ones. We enjoyed being onboard. 

Activities, Evenings, Dress Code:

Highlights were a top-notch 2 1/2 hour wine tasting one afternoon, a one woman play about female authors through history, and a lecturer about the how the brain works and psychology. 

The dress code was widely followed with 95% of pax looking great. We enjoy following the dress code and appreciate how everyone looked. The performances at the theater are fun and high energy. There was a duo called Forever Tenors who we not that good and acted like baffoons on stage with stupid jokes. They seemed drunk. Oh well, most entertainment was really good. 

Now…here’s my hang-ups: Music in the Queen’s Room and these dumb Theme nights. We had Red and Gold and Masquerade. These theme nights get talked up a lot by Cunard pre-voyage but no effort is made during the actual Gala night to make that theme feel special. I saw several people walking around with masks on expecting some “magical” to happen and there really wasn’t any.  My other problem is that the Queens Room dancing is virtually 100% ballroom dancing; 8-10 great couples danced most dances but many of us don’t know the Quickstep, Jive, Basso Nova, and Tango. This focus on ballroom dancing only excludes many to enjoy the QR. When we did dance the waltz and Rumba, the band played awkward arrangements such as the Beatles “Yesterday” as a waltz but it sounded more like a knee-bending German oom-bah-bah dance. Overall, we found the environment in the Queen’s Room unwelcoming to “regular” dancers and we avoided it for most nights. Unfortunate as we had more fun nights there in previous voyages. G32 offered some dancing but also had Karaoke and Silent Disco nights too. 
Overall, we enjoyed the perks of being in PG and would love to do so it again. Cunard still has a problem with raising expectations of the atmosphere of Gala nights with the onboard reality never matching that expectation. Most pax are not 30 something year old models strolling around the ship etc. Also, I would like the Queens Room to be more welcoming to non-ballroom dancing. BTW, my frustration is not against the wonderful dancers we saw but the QR program set by Cunard. 
Thanks for reading my thoughts. 

Edited by NE John
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 2

What is a 'regular' dancer?  Why do you think that ballroom dancers in their 60s and 70s, and even 80s can't dance a quickstep?  Why do you think that the Queen's Room would be better suited to non-ballroom dancing?  Tribute acts are occasionally held in that room, when they could just as well be in the theatre, and that then locks out ballroom dancers for the evening. Disco party nights are put into the Queen's Room too, and in our experience they usually mean lots of people coming in for a while to watch, and a bunch of staff come and start disco dancing spread around the dance floor - a few passengers join in but usually the staff outnumber the passengers dancing!  That seems to be a regular occurrence on such nights.  Significant numbers of passengers come to the Queen's Room, who are not dancers themselves, specifically to watch good dancers on the floor.  People have told us so very regularly across every voyage we have been on.  The waiters are run off their feet serving spectators in the ballroom when people are dancing, so the bar in G32 does well, and a lot better, from spectators in the Queen's Room compared to people dancing in G32.  Yes it is a shame that the music is dictated by headquarters without real regard for what passengers dancing actually want to hear to dance to!

Edited by ballroom-cruisers
typo
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, NE John said:

My other problem is that the Queens Room dancing is virtually 100% ballroom dancing; 8-10 great couples danced most dances but many of us don’t know the Quickstep, Jive, Basso Nova, and Tango. This focus on ballroom dancing only excludes many to enjoy the QR. 

NE John, DH and I are with you. Don't get me wrong; we love ballroom dancing. We're just not very good at it, despite taking lessons. When we first sailed QM2 four years ago, we tried the Queens Room but felt completely intimidated and gave up. It wasn't enjoyable for us; we just didn't feel welcome. We're much more comfortable with listening to the jazz or string trios in the Chart Room - and that's where we were after dinner during last week's cruise.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, NE John said:

Basso Nova

I quite liked that. I think you mean the Bossa Nova 😀. I don't recall music for that being played in our 14 nights. It's about 20 years since we did that, but I'm sure we'd remember some of it.

Quickstep, Foxtrot and Waltz are the most common ballroom dances, not necessarily in that order. Then you've the complication with waltz; we learned slow waltz, (aka modern waltz or English waltz) from our professional teachers. At school in late 60s early 70s my gym teachers taught a version of old time waltz, and of course you have the Viennese Waltz. Depends what you know!

I don't always approve of fitting songs to a dance but it is simply a case of counting the beats. If you can count one, two, three at an acceptable speed, you can waltz to it. "Yesterday" probably isn't that bad although one web page claims it's 83bpm. Slow waltz should be about 28-30bpm, so you need to dance fast or pick out every 3rd beat.

Other than where the floor is completely full of couples doing the same dance, the floor utilisation could be improved if the performers announced that those doing progressive dances (those travelling around the floor in an anti-clockwise direction) stick to the perimeter of the floor and those doing static (jive etc) dance in centre.

We'd prefer G32 just stuck to providing a different type of music to QR. We can still pick out ballroom and latin dances from their beats. Silent disco would be a major problem for us. What if Nora was hearing one set of music and David another. On second thoughts, since David leads; no problem at all! 🤣

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, nybumpkin said:

NE John, DH and I are with you. Don't get me wrong; we love ballroom dancing. We're just not very good at it, despite taking lessons. When we first sailed QM2 four years ago, we tried the Queens Room but felt completely intimidated and gave up. It wasn't enjoyable for us; we just didn't feel welcome. We're much more comfortable with listening to the jazz or string trios in the Chart Room - and that's where we were after dinner during last week's cruise.

I feel quite sad when I read comments like that.

Admittedly we experienced a less friendly atmosphere eastbound to the previous week westbound (although I think the dancers westbound were generally better). Excepting those who were also doing round trip.

We started lessons over 30 years ago, continuing for about 23 years. We've learned some very complex variations over the years, but can hardly remember any. We concentrate on doing basics as well as we can. More importantly we progress around the floor and attempt not to hit anyone. If we can achieve that, we're happy.

If you are doing what you've been taught, just get up and do it. Make sure you don't hit anyone in front, but if someone is approaching at speed from behind it's their job to leave you space. Hold your ground!

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, steve4031 said:

Well I won’t suggest one night with a DJ spinning house music mixes . . .  Sorry.  I couldn’t resist teasing.  

Hmm..  120 bpm could be split into 30, 40 or 60 bpm. You just never know what could be danced to it!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ballroom-cruisers said:

By wedding dancing if you mean gentle shuffling on the floor to romantic music that doesn't really fit any of the standard dance rhythms, then they already do that sometimes most evenings.

I admire the ballroom dancers and my concern is not with them. Enjoy! 

DW and I felt this time around an invisible wall around the QR that was not welcoming. It’s hard to explain. Also, some of the arrangements were odd. I was in high school and college marching band and played in bands and took a lot of music so maybe I’m just too sensitive to tonal nuances and off-beat arrangements. 

We are definitely not dancers, but when we were on QM2 previously I finally got my husband to get on the dance floor and dance with me.  Now what I mean is are around each other and slowly turning in a spot just enjoying each other's company.  We stayed to the outside close to our table.  We got the most mean looks and eventually just left.  We went to G32 once and it was quite a time ago, but we remember the smoke from the upper portion so left quickly.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, D&N said:

I feel quite sad when I read comments like that.

snip

We started lessons over 30 years ago, continuing for about 23 years. We've learned some very complex variations over the years, but can hardly remember any. We concentrate on doing basics as well as we can. More importantly we progress around the floor and attempt not to hit anyone. If we can achieve that, we're happy.

Yes, people frequently learn complex sets of figures so that they look experienced as dancers, but quite often the figures don't flow well or are executed inelegantly.  Like you we do simple basic figure groups as well as possible, which often feels nicer and looks nicer. Learning to move around the floor maintaining smooth flow in tune with the music, and not interrupting anybody else takes skill, but is such a valuable skill to learn. If everyone does that then the dance floor is a happy and enjoyable place to dance.

8 hours ago, alibabacruisers said:

We are definitely not dancers, but when we were on QM2 previously I finally got my husband to get on the dance floor and dance with me.  Now what I mean is are around each other and slowly turning in a spot just enjoying each other's company.  We stayed to the outside close to our table.  We got the most mean looks and eventually just left.  We went to G32 once and it was quite a time ago, but we remember the smoke from the upper portion so left quickly.

Well done you for having the guts to get up and dance.

We are lurkers and I love watching all dancers and give me 'slow turners'  who are enjoying themselves to the outrageous arm flingers any day and as I'm a contrary so and so who doesn't like 'mean' in any form, I would have stuck it out in your little patch and possibly glared back. It's your floor as much as anyone's.👍

• Like 4

3 hours ago, ballroom-cruisers said:

Yes, people frequently learn complex sets of figures so that they look experienced as dancers, but quite often the figures don't flow well or are executed inelegantly.  Like you we do simple basic figure groups as well as possible, which often feels nicer and looks nicer. Learning to move around the floor maintaining smooth flow in tune with the music, and not interrupting anybody else takes skill, but is such a valuable skill to learn. If everyone does that then the dance floor is a happy and enjoyable place to dance.

So are you saying we shouldn’t get on the dance floor unless we can follow the rules?

If we were to dance at all we would be in the untrained “slow turner” category.

Sadly on QM2 as well as HAL, Princess, and Celebrity we have been literally pushed off the floor by the hardcore performing types. Not pleasant or welcoming in the least.

I’m sure all well schooled ballroom dancers don’t behave like this but it is very prevalent unfortunately.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CABINET said:

Why was the bathtub not usable as a bath tub?

The tub tapers and was too narrow. DW is petite and had a hard time getting out of the tub.
The shower curtain is not clingy however. 
The bath/shower combo is perfectly suitable and the entire bathroom itself is worth the PG upgrade. 

• Thanks 1

I agree with the OP about the Queens room on QM2 and the music , is a minority "sport".

It is the biggest public space (lounge or bar ...) on the ship,  and as such should be brimming with at least a few hundred every night. It isn't, it's rarely that full.

Yes many many people defend it and love their ball room dancing, but not enough.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NE John said:

The tub tapers and was too narrow. DW is petite and had a hard time getting out of the tub.
The shower curtain is not clingy however. 
The bath/shower combo is perfectly suitable and the entire bathroom itself is worth the PG upgrade. 

Thanks.   That's not great news because I am far from petite.

• Haha 1

It has been regularly expressed that the Queen's Room should be more used for party dancing - and yet every time there is a 'party' there with a pop band the floor is hardly ever full, and often there are less passengers who are on the floor disco dancing, than the number of entertainment staff spread across the floor trying to encourage others to join them.  So whilst there is certainly a vocal minority who repeatedly express the opinion that there should be more opportunity for the majority to do disco dancing, or other expressions representing the same thing, the reality is that in fact it is only a minority who want to do so, and on most of the voyages I have been on, it is actually the regular ballroom dancers who are on the floor at various times during the evening. There are certainly some times each evening when the floor is not busy - but even when there is recorded disco type music there are usually only a few people doing disco dancing, and occasionally the music plays with nobody doing disco dancing even when they could and have the floor to themselves.

So even if there are folk who feel that ballroom dancing is for the minority, it seems from my experience that the disco dancing is supported by a yet smaller minority on board. There are times when the room is full in the seating area around the tables if there is a tribute band, but most people who are there, want to listen and watch, and not get on the floor themselves. In that case any venue that can accommodate the band and the audience will be fine - such as the theatre, the pub, or G32.

Edited by ballroom-cruisers
typo and new sentence
  • Like 1

Just now, CABINET said:

Thanks.   That's not great news because I am far from petite.

I’ve also read complaints about getting in/out of tubs in higher QG categories. 
The tub situation didn’t distract from our enjoyment in PG though. Just some information to pass along to manage expectations.