My first Crossing. A first timer’s perspective.

steve4031

I forgot to inform Cunard about my CPAP machine.  I went to the Pursers desk and asked for an extension cord.  I got one within the our.  It had the UK outlet.  I had a converter plug and used that to plug in my cpap.  

The first day has been spent resting and eating.  I did go to the planetarium.  That was cool.  

I’ve had no problem finding my way around.  The key for me is noting which elevator/stairway to use.  A/b/c/d.  

• Like 3

you guys are tempting me with a crossing....

we spoke about our next cruise being Japan..... but taking that our interest in Cunard started by Queen Mary..... I maybe able to talk my daughter into a change of itinerary.....

• Like 1

The old-school art deco decor really makes this ship special.  We are in the ballroom watching the dancing.  Amazing.   

Dinner was good.  The roll guy is a little off in our section.  I had to ask for him to come buy.  Once delivered the rolls were excellent.  I had one of each type.  The Beef Wellington was good.  The ice cream exquisite.  

The seas have been pretty smooth.  The ship glides.  You don’t feel anything.  

Last night we saw a full moon from the balcony.  First through fog and the the fog cleared.  Today it’s been foggy or a combination of fog and sun.  I heard the horn a few times.  

• Like 3

The musicians in the ballroom are amazing. My GF requested Simply the Best by Tina Turner.  The lady singer pullled it off like a champ.  The band rocked it.  Then they play every Breath you Take by the Police.  The dancers filled the floor for both songs.  Amazing talent everywhere.  

• Like 4

Thanks for the excellent reporting steve4031. 

A couple of questions please:

How have the outside temperatures been? Have you had a chance to relax in one of the Promenade deck chairs. In 3 crossings we have seen many pods of porpoise and one whale.

What time are the moving the clocks forward, or have they done that yet?

Have any of the insight speakers sparked your interest?

It was cool here in Chicago today with temps in the 60's.

Thanks

Jack

4 hours ago, shippmates said:

MrsPeel55 you would not be disappointed if you changed your itinerary and did a TA's.  To really get a great feel and experience do a roundtrip TA from Southampton.

Thanks, I m sure it would be amazing! Gonna go have a look at the site see what possibilities are 🙂

@steve4031 thanks for this wonderful insight on the qm2...am more and more tempted with every post of yours!!!!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Jack E Dawson said:

Thanks for the excellent reporting steve4031. 

A couple of questions please:

How have the outside temperatures been? Have you had a chance to relax in one of the Promenade deck chairs. In 3 crossings we have seen many pods of porpoise and one whale.

What time are the moving the clocks forward, or have they done that yet?

Have any of the insight speakers sparked your interest?

It was cool here in Chicago today with temps in the 60's.

Thanks

Jack

The last two days the temperature has been 72.  It was foggy or sunny.  I have been out in my balcony.  Not on the deck.  

The clocks move forward at 12:00.  There’s one on hurricane alley today that is interesting.  There was one on crime investigation yesterday.  I’m going to the hurricane alley.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, steve4031 said:

There’s one on hurricane alley today that is interesting.  There was one on crime investigation yesterday.  I’m going to the hurricane alley.  

Insights Lectures for the first 2 days:

PXL_20230708_1211408402.thumb.jpg.cf06ef4811aea11cd19d2b10f2f21b6d.jpg

PXL_20230709_1501251012.thumb.jpg.44a37e240aece6a4a1f13d013d6e43ff.jpg

Ben the Royal Marine was excellent - searingly honest and so positive. I zoned out on the Global Village lecture but my other half loved it. Hoping to catch the Forensics lecture on the stateroom TV later.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Well I waited too long to book the steakhouse for dinner.  I called and was able to get in for lunch today.  I enjoyed it. I suspect it would be better for dinner.  

I was careless filling out the laundry form for GF’s laundry Sunday.  We could not figure out the category for some of the items.  So I chose the 15 items for 52 dollars.  The laundry was returned undone and a terse note that we needed to itemize.  Initially I was irritated and raised a fuss.  The head laundry guy came and explained the reason for returning the laundry. Their view is itemized lists protects from lost items.  

I regretted yelling at the room steward. I apologized profusely and tipped him.  This was not his fault.   

I’m experiencing difficulty making posts.  I complete one and submit only to come back later to find it didn’t post and only half of it was saved.  

• Like 1

The service at dinner is improving.  I think they just need to get to know us.  GF has dietary needs and the waiter discreetly supported her after she got something she couldn’t eat.   He had been giving her the next day’s menu so she can mark out her choices.  I like this because I can look and get a preview.  I tipped the waiter.  

The ice cream in here is exquisite.  I had the Coffee ice cream tonight.  

It has been foggy all day and the temperature is cooling. It’s 66 and water temperature is 62.  Someone at breakfast said it would be colder after we got beyond Greenland.  

• Like 1

Sorry about the repost.  I knew there were dance host for women.  But not for men.  We were in the ballroom watching the dancing. They did a line dance and we joined for fun not really knowing the steps.  The lady dance host paired up with me and the male dance host paired up with her.  I don’t think I got one step right but everyone was encouraging.  I was very impressed by how the two hosts seamlessly accommodated both of us.  

• Like 3

Steve4031 the next time you book a sailing make sure you tell the cruise line about your dietary needs and they will be aware of that when you board the ship.  The crew take wonderful care of me with my dietary needs.  So glad you are enjoying your adventure.

• Like 1

It would have been better to plan ahead about the eating.  However there are so many details keep track of getting ready I forgot about that.  

The Skype calling is working well.  My father appreciates the calls.  I got a Skype number snd he was able to call back.  

• Like 2

I’ve had no problems getting around.  I use the stairway letters to help me navigate.  The only place that’s kind of difficult to find is the planetarium.  I figured it out pretty quickly. I have not found the scenic elevators.  I’m not sure what makes them scenic.  

Today I am trying the fish and chips for lunch. Than we do afternoon tea.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Host Hattie said:

VideoCapture_20230710-142248.jpg

We have just seen that exact view from the scenic elevator on the other side - found the Library and Bookshop (bought a lanyard and magnets for our collection). Then up again to the Commodore Club for a coffee & hot chocolate. Then the marvellous scenic elevator up to the Atlantic Room and Observation Deck (which was unfortunately closed off).

Edited by dides
  • Like 3

I found my lunch spot.  The pub. The fish and chips are perfect.  The captain there would be some movement.  I think he said pitch. We are on deck six near the back.  It’s a relaxing, gentle sway.  Whatever it’s called.  The sea condition is slight seas.  So apparently no big deal. 

• Like 2