My first Crossing. A first timer’s perspective.

steve4031

We arrived at 12:56. It took us 30 minutes clear security and complete the check in process.  There was a brief delay when one of our passports wouldn’t photograph.  Eventually it went through.  We are in boarding group 59.   They were calling 50 when we sat down.  At 1:40 I heard 55.  

I took the photos.  I don’t see rust. That big Queen Mary 2 sign says it all.  Bon Voyage. 

IMG_1894.jpeg

IMG_1896.jpeg

IMG_1897.jpeg

• Like 8

We are on board at 2:01. Overall an efficient process.  Everyone was pleasant and professional.  There is a sign right before you board the ship that says “Leaving Brooklyn? Fugeddaboutit.”   The sign’s humor attracts photos.  I got a scold for taking a photo in the customs zone.  

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Walking onboard the ship is amazing.  The elegance as soon as you enter is immersive.  We settled into two comfortable chairs by the shops.  After we got our breath we headed to the cabin.  One of our three pieces of luggage was already there.  The other two arrived 10 minutes later.  

We are adjusting to the cabin size.  We had a huge aft balcony on HAL last year. The cabin seems to be similar to balcony cabins I’ve had on Carnival.  But a much more elegant decor.  

I easily logged on to access my Wi-Fi.  I’m reporting using the ships Wi-Fi.  I did a test Skype call to my father.  That worked well too.  I’m sure from the middle of the Atlantic will be different.  

I explored the bathroom briefly.  I started to think about a shower but noted the here were no bath towels.  Or I hadn’t discovered them.  

• Like 5

I also couldn’t find the remote for the tv.  I called and asked for assistance in finding it and the towels. As soon as the room attendant started looking for it I spied it peeking out from beneath the bed.   The attendant got the towels. I’ve spoken with several crew members now.  I’ve observed a difficulty communicating.  They are polite and helpful and the long run.  

We watched the safety video and found the muster station.  I think I went the long way.  I knew the approximate area but ended up walking around a bit to find the muster station.

I’m now eating pizza in the buffet area.  Much nicer.  And I got a bottle of coke.  

• Like 3

It is hot and humid.  And a long day.  We decided not to sit on the balcony because of f the heat.  It’s 5:30.  I’m not sure when we are supposed to leave.  The captain gave the safety announcement at 4:30.  So I’m thinking they are about ready.  

• Like 1

Hi all, we boarded today too and it was very smooth as the OP reported. Our first QM2 and crossing as well. 

I have one question if anyone can help? Not intending to hijack the thread!  My other half is a picky eater and cannot find any entrees on the first night's menu in the Britannia restaurant that he could eat. I have read that there might be 'always available' alternatives but what are they?

Thanks in advance. 

Edited by dides
  • Like 1

You may want to head up to the top of the ship (on top of Deck 13, use stairway A) to see the Statue of Liberty as you sail by then stay there until you pass under the Verrazzano Bridge. Quite specular. The ship just barely squeezes under it with about 15-20 feet to spare. 

Jack

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, dides said:

I have one question if anyone can help? My other half is a picky eater and cannot find any entrees on the first night's menu in the Britannia restaurant that he could eat. I have read that there might be 'always available' alternatives but what are they?

As of May of last year they were Chicken Breast, Salmon, Steak and a Cesar Salad with the option of adding any of those 3 items. 

Edited by Jack E Dawson
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, dides said:

Hi all, we boarded today too and it was very smooth as the OP reported. Our first QM2 and crossing as well. 

I have one question if anyone can help? Not intending to hijack the thread!  My other half is a picky eater and cannot find any entrees on the first night's menu in the Britannia restaurant that he could eat. I have read that there might be 'always available' alternatives but what are they?

Thanks in advance. 

Before our cruise (we just left the QM2 this morning) I asked for low sodium meals. Every evening the server brought me a copy of the next day's menu and I indicated what I wanted. The food was superb, brilliantly seasoned, and not salty at all. You can ask what kinds of special menus they can cater to.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Jack E Dawson said:

As of May of last year they were Chicken Breast, Salmon, Steak and a Cesar Salad with the option of adding any of those 3 items. 

Thank you - he should be fine with chicken or beef as his go-to's ☺️

Edited by dides

My GF is adjusting to a challenging travel schedule.  Her stomach said eat at 4:00 and I said go ahead. You are on vacation.  I wasn’t surprised when she was ready to unwind in the cabin.  So my first night in the Britannia is a solo effort.  I’m cool with that.  The other two tables in our group of 6 our empty. So I think others our doing their thing. We are still docked.  No big deal to me.  Just giving info that will help future crossing passengers.  

• Like 2

The captain gave his departure announcement. We should be leaving in about 10 minutes.  The ship will have plenty of clearance under the Verrazano bridge.  Then a bunch of nautical terms and then a prediction of a calm crossing.  

Everyone in the dining room quieted to here the announcement.  

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Host Hattie said:

That's probably the best, do you wear a watch?

I found the easiest was to wear an old-fashioned wristwatch and change the time manually. Each morning I'd check the phone in our cabin where ship time was displayed to make sure I was on the correct time.

• Like 1

At some point while I was eating we started moving.  I didn’t feel a thing.  I looked up from my book I was reading on my phone and we were in the middle of the bay heading out.  The lamp chops were perfect.  I enjoyed the cheese and petit something or other.   Heading back to out cabin to see if the captain was right about fitting under the bridge.  

• Like 5

We made it under the bridge.  There is a lot of boat traffic in and out of NYC.  

GF and I enjoyed the Chart Room.  Those maps on the wall are cool.  I made the rookie mistake of forgetting to notify Cunard that I had a CPap machine.  So I went to the purser’s desk and they said they would have housekeeping deliver one.  

• Like 2

Have a great time Steve4031- QM2 is my favorite ship.Crossings is what she is doing best- that´s what´s she´s been built for. Just left QM2 two weeks ago- and already I am kind of " homesick"! LOL.

As soon as I enter into the Grand Lobby it´s is by now almost like a homecoming.

Have a wonderful crossing. I am almost sure you will love it.

Wonderful that you take us all with you.

• Like 1

The AC struggled to keep our cabin cool in the hot humid weather of NYC.  It’s cooling off now.  We woke up and went on the balcony to get some fresh air.  We saw fog shrouding the moon.  After awhile we emerged into clearer views.  The moon reflected off the water.  

IMG_1914.jpeg

• Like 14