Great Lakes Submarine Dives

MSEm

We are are booked on the Sept 12, 2023 Great Lakes Cruise.  Submarine Dives are offered in 4 locations.

Thunder Bay, Silver Islet, Georgian Bay (Killarney), and Frazer Bay, This is the order of the ports for our cruise.

I know the Submarine Dive is an expensive "tour. Which one of these "ports" would be the best for a "dive".  I realize that weather can effect the viewing or result in cancellation of a dive.

Any info on these dives or other shore tours is appreciated.

Thanks for all the great info on this site.

10 hours ago, MSEm said:

We are are booked on the Sept 12, 2023 Great Lakes Cruise.  Submarine Dives are offered in 4 locations.

Thunder Bay, Silver Islet, Georgian Bay (Killarney), and Frazer Bay, This is the order of the ports for our cruise.

I know the Submarine Dive is an expensive "tour. Which one of these "ports" would be the best for a "dive".  I realize that weather can effect the viewing or result in cancellation of a dive.

Any info on these dives or other shore tours is appreciated.

Thanks for all the great info on this site.

I think that your satisfaction with a sub dive will depend greatly on your reasons for considering it.

If you are hoping for an underwater experience with colours, reefs and lots of marine life, you are likely to be disappointed. The Great Lakes are full of fish, but they are not the vibrant tropical ones featured on tropical diving shows. The bottom tends to be silty, sterile and brown - no corals.

If your are diving on a wreck, that is always very interesting and usually means a higher level of marine life present.

If you simply want a unique experience diving really deep and don't mind the price, then you will be very happy.

If you decide to go, I'd suggest Superior - it has by far the clearest water. Enjoy your encounter with some of the largest bodies of fresh water on the globe! 🥌🍺

FYI - We are leaving Wednesday for this cruise on the Octantis (Milwaukee to Toronto) and were told by Viking that the submarines are not permitted to operate in the Great Lakes. I do not know if it’s just for summer - but I know this is not an opportunity on our cruise.

9 hours ago, fdpevey said:

FYI - We are leaving Wednesday for this cruise on the Octantis (Milwaukee to Toronto) and were told by Viking that the submarines are not permitted to operate in the Great Lakes. I do not know if it’s just for summer - but I know this is not an opportunity on our cruise.

The subs operate in the Great Lakes, just not in US waters. US requires the equipment and operators to be US citizens and equipment (this is according to what an expedition staff member told us). Viking had to replace all of their non-US sourced kayaks with US manufactured ones on Polaris just before its inaugural Great Lakes cruise this summer. While on this cruise, we saw Viking donating the foreign built ones to a local nonprofit (again told by staff member)

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Iloveketo said:

This is what we saw in May of 2022 in Georgian Bay.

IMG_8354.jpeg

Thanks for the picture. I have 2 Subs booked. 7/23 Thunder Bay and 7/30 Frazer Bay. Hopefully weather conditions will allow us to dive. Both are free as we booked our cruise before the cutoff date. Otherwise, $499. Wouldn't go. 

Viking statement from our Cruise Itinerary: Submarine Dives: Dives are contingent on weather conditions, not available in all ports/landings and have limited availability. For cruise bookings made on or after April 01, 2023, a $499 USD pp fee will be charged to your onboard account, after you have completed your submarine dive. All guests will be subject to a cancellation fee of $299 USD pp if canceled on board and less than 48 hours before scheduled dive.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ropomo said:

The subs operate in the Great Lakes, just not in US waters. US requires the equipment and operators to be US citizens and equipment (this is according to what an expedition staff member told us). Viking had to replace all of their non-US sourced kayaks with US manufactured ones on Polaris just before its inaugural Great Lakes cruise this summer. While on this cruise, we saw Viking donating the foreign built ones to a local nonprofit (again told by staff member)

Something to do with cabotage laws. Viking didn't know this going in?

• Like 2

I hope you enjoy!

This was our message:

Dear Viking Guest,

Thank you for choosing Viking for your upcoming Niagara & The Great Lakesvoyage. We would like to share an update to our submarine operations on your upcoming journey.

Unfortunately, the destinations you will be visiting on your itinerary will not allow us to deploy our submarines. However, we will still be able to offer our extensive shore excursion program and other expedition activities—including the special operations boats, zodiacs and kayaks in select ports along your voyage. 

We recognize that the submarine experience is a popular and highly anticipated opportunity and share in your disappointment. Despite these circumstances, we are confident that your experience will be filled with wonderful memories. 

We appreciate your understanding and look forward to welcoming you on board.

Sincerely,

Viking

Thanks to all for the dive information.  If you dive or hear anyone talking about their dive location, please post the mini review.  Also please post any good or negative mini reviews on the other shore excursions.

Question on the bicyle tours:  Flat land or hilly?  Also how long is the actualy ride?

I was on at the end of last summer and if conditions are the same as they were then, it's just a toss up.  Several days the subs were cancelled because of weather, I guess wind?.  The people that did get on one day said they really couldn't see anything.  Really, I think it's one of those things where you pick a time and hopefully, it happens and you have good visibility. 

12 minutes ago, rmalbers said:

I was on at the end of last summer and if conditions are the same as they were then, it's just a toss up.  Several days the subs were cancelled because of weather, I guess wind?.  The people that did get on one day said they really couldn't see anything.  Really, I think it's one of those things where you pick a time and hopefully, it happens and you have good visibility. 

Good visibility doesn't count for much when there's nothing to see.

Just did the Great Lakes dive on the Polaris. The dives last 30 minutes and go to about 90 feet. We were lucky and saw a small fish.

You take a Zodiac from the ship and transfer to the Submarine. Smooth seas, no problem, otherwise they will cancel. There were far more opportunities than reservations, many of the dives and slots were filled with crew and contractors. I don't believe any passenger who was able, was denied a chance. 

The locations that a dive can take place are mostly on the Canadian side due to physical and operational constraints. Even if it was US flagged there would have been few if any locations on the US side for dives.

Overall opinion.... If it is included and you are doing it for the experience, I would recommend it. If you are paying extra for it or have expectations of seeing something interesting, skip it.

• Like 1

Thanks azdrydock.  We will not have to pay extra.  Will book just for the sub experience.

Also if you have any good or bad shore excursion info.  Plan to do the Rock & Roll and Ford museums.

Hear anything about the 2 bike rides? Read that the rides are 8 miles and hilly.

On 7/8/2023 at 10:37 AM, MSEm said:

Thanks to all for the dive information.  If you dive or hear anyone talking about their dive location, please post the mini review.  Also please post any good or negative mini reviews on the other shore excursions.

Question on the bicyle tours:  Flat land or hilly?  Also how long is the actualy ride?

Where are the bicycle tours operated?

As for submarines, the best diving conditions to see wrecks that I know of would be in Georgian Bay, since the waters are very clear.  But still, obviously no reefs or such.

But the scenery in Georgian Bay is spectacular, so I would try to find some kind of excursion either on the water (canoeing?), or hiking.  Killarney Park has great hiking trails.

• Like 1

Bike tours are offered on Mackinac Island and Georgian Bay (Parry Sound).

The sub dives are offered in Georgian Bay, Killarney, Frazer Bay, and Parry Sound.

• Like 1