How strict is the dress code onboard?

RonWL

8 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

(a) women like to dress up more?

(b) I know from packing that women's clothes take up much less room in the suitcase

(c) the tie makes it hard to swallow my food

It's probably sexist to say so, but I suspect that (a) is correct.  

Formal night again

in dolce vita having pre dinner drink

2 tuxes

jackets with turtlenecks

jackets with open shirts 

a dark suit or two 

one red sequined gown

one woman in slacks and casual shirt 

One silver glitter gown

not sure what I will see in la terraza

4 minutes ago, bitob said:

Formal night again

in dolce vita having pre dinner drink

2 tuxes

jackets with turtlenecks

jackets with open shirts 

a dark suit or two 

one red sequined gown

one woman in slacks and casual shirt 

One silver glitter gown

not sure what I will see in la terraza

Interested in your opinion, and recognizing it is only an opinion:  From a sartorial standpoint only, who is the best dressed?

6 minutes ago, Rothko1 said:

Interested in your opinion, and recognizing it is only an opinion:  From a sartorial standpoint only, who is the best dressed?

We are. Lol

tuxes are overkill on this cruise 

I love the guy in jacket with turtleneck

he looked elegant 

Edited by bitob
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, bitob said:

We are. Lol

tuxes are overkill on this cruise 

I love the guy in jacket with turtleneck

he looked elegant 

It looks good on some men; certainly suited my DH.  (Not for formal, though).

Lola

Just now, lincslady said:

It looks good on some men; certainly suited my DH.  (Not for formal, though).

Lola

Way better than the other stuff we are seeing. 
Slobs everywhere 

Certainly ok for the grill and la terraza

• Like 1

On 7/10/2023 at 11:45 AM, bitob said:

Thanks.  I am on a b2b - one leg is 14 days; the other leg is 7 days.

On 7/10/2023 at 12:39 PM, bitob said:

Moon. Reykjavik rt then Reykjavik to Southampton. Cruise is sold out!!

I'm so confused.  Isn't the Silver Moon voyage you're currently on (Reykjavik round trip) just 10-days in length, not 14 as you noted above?  And, isn't the next leg you're on a 12-day voyage, not 7?  If true, could some of the attire you've been witnessing on this current voyage be due more to the itinerary and venue you've dined in?

I do wonder with the next segment spending half its time in the UK if the attire you've witnessed changes.

4 hours ago, Rothko1 said:

That's not necessarily a bad idea, but isn't that just lowering the bar?

So instead of having arguments about whether someone must wear a jacket, you're going to have disputes about someone wearing jeans, or shorts, or baseball caps?

You're still going to have staff interaction.  Unless you just adopt an "everything goes" policy and just let whatever happens happen.

This. Many of us have witnessed the transition in the corporate world from mandatory jackets/suits every day (or at least having a jacket on your door to put on when clients were in the office) to business casual on Fridays to business casual every day. Some peoples' interpretation of what is appropriate for business casual (men and women) has been mind-boggling.   

1 hour ago, bitob said:

Way better than the other stuff we are seeing. 
Slobs everywhere 

And therein lies the problem. Some people carp "Other people's attire doesn't impact your meal." Well, yes it does when they're dressed like slobs. 

Edited by Dolcevita Diva
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, Stumblefoot said:

I'm so confused.  Isn't the Silver Moon voyage you're currently on (Reykjavik round trip) just 10-days in length, not 14 as you noted above?  And, isn't the next leg you're on a 12-day voyage, not 7?  If true, could some of the attire you've been witnessing on this current voyage be due more to the itinerary and venue you've dined in?

I do wonder with the next segment spending half its time in the UK if the attire you've witnessed changes.

Yes. That is itinerary 

we shall see

1 hour ago, Dolcevita Diva said:

This. Many of us have witnessed the transition in the corporate world from mandatory jackets/suits every day (or at least having a jacket on your door to put on when clients were in the office) to business casual on Fridays to business casual every day. Some peoples' interpretation of what is appropriate for business casual (men and women) has been mind-boggling.   

And therein lies the problem. Some people carp "Other people's attire doesn't impact your meal." Well, yes it does when they're dressed like slobs. 

Well, I suppose so if one makes a sport of being highly attuned to whether or not others are “in compliance” AKA “dress code police”.

• Like 2

I'm on the Silver Moon right now and just finished dinner on the second formal night. For both nights the vast majority of men wore dark sports coats or blazers with a tie. There were a few suits and a couple of tuxedos. The worst dressed person I saw in the dining room had casual slacks and shoes, a sweater with a tie and a jacket hanging off the chair. On informal nights about half the men wore dress shirts and dress pants with no jacket. Nobody I saw was turned away for not having a jacket. However I did see that the tie was in enforced in SALT tonight. Overall, I'd say that most people follow the spirit of the dress code rather than the letter and make an effort to elevate their dress on formal night, even if they aren't wearing tuxes. 

Edited by erikzen
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, erikzen said:

I'm on the Silver Moon right now and just finished dinner on the second formal night. For both nights the vast majority of men wore dark sports coats or blazers with a tie. There were a few suits and a couple of tuxedos. The worst dressed person I saw in the dining room had casual slacks and shoes, a sweater with a tie and a jacket hanging off the chair. On informal nights about half the men wore dress shirts and dress pants with no jacket. Nobody I saw was turned away for not having a jacket. However I did see that the tie was in enforced in SALT tonight. Overall, I'd say that most people follow the spirit of the dress code rather than the letter and make an effort to elevate their dress on formal night, even if they aren't wearing tuxes. 

Interesting. What is the value of “wearing” a jacket if only until you get to your seat and then it is over the back of the chair? Seems so silly.

7 minutes ago, tinaincc said:

Interesting. What is the value of “wearing” a jacket if only until you get to your seat and then it is over the back of the chair? Seems so silly.

As if wearing a jacket was some sort of hardship.

22 minutes ago, Gourmet Gal said:

Well, I suppose so if one makes a sport of being highly attuned to whether or not others are “in compliance” AKA “dress code police”.

Has nothing to do with being the dress code police or evaluating compliance (and in any case, that's the Maitre' D's purview).  But ambiance and environment are important facets of an evening dining occasion in an upscale environment - and the overall ambiance is impacted if others in the more upscale restaurants are dressed like slobs. 

Fortunately, Silversea has several options for those who just want to dine in their very casual attire. Not sure why that seems to be so hard for some people to understand. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Rothko1 said:

As if wearing a jacket was some sort of hardship.

I’m a woman so it is lost on me but seems like a ridiculous rule that has out served it’s usefulness. It reminds me of when we had to wear a mask to walk to our table at a restaurant and then promptly remove it. People said the same thing “what’s the big deal” - it’s NOT a big deal but silly nonetheless.

4 minutes ago, Dolcevita Diva said:

Has nothing to do with being the dress code police or evaluating compliance (and in any case, that's the Maitre' D's purview).  But ambiance and environment are important facets of an evening dining occasion in an upscale environment - and the overall ambiance is impacted if others in the more upscale restaurants are dressed like slobs. 

Fortunately, Silversea has several options for those who just want to dine in their very casual attire. Not sure why that seems to be so hard for some people to understand. 

There is a wide distance between a slob and resort/business casual. Never heard of anyone on regent complain about slobs everywhere. 

• Like 3

Just now, tinaincc said:

There is a wide distance between a slob and resort/business casual. Never heard of anyone on regent complain about slobs everywhere. 

You are absolutely right that there is a wide difference between a slob and resort/business casual (or country club casual).   As @bitob noted above, a number of people on the Silversea voyage he is on now are dressing like slobs...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dolcevita Diva said:

You are absolutely right that there is a wide difference between a slob and resort/business casual (or country club casual).   As @bitob noted above, a number of people on the Silversea voyage he is on now are dressing like slobs...

Which goes to show you that money doesn't always equal class.

• Like 4