How strict is the dress code onboard?

RonWL

On 11/3/2023 at 3:59 AM, drron29 said:

Interesting I googled Smart Casual and this came up from earlier this year.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/meghanbiro/2023/05/23/how-to-dress-smart-casual-what-you-need-to-know/?sh=289e71621900

If that's what people think deserves the word "smart" anywhere in the definition then I have to say that the descent to sloppiness is faster than I thought. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 3 months later...

I love reading people's responses on here, such a variety. My only SS cruise so far has been the Galapagos islands so of course the dress code was very casual.

However, I am taking a 23 day cruise on SS in May, San Fransisco to New York, and so have been reading up about the dress code on the Silver Shadow. Sure enough it is much more formal dress and strictly enforced they say. As someone who lives in the heat in Palm Springs California I live in shorts and nice shirts, so a challenge. I am happy to rise to the challenge, dust off my sports coats, add my individual flair to each outfit, and enjoy the change.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Silver Spectre said:

Currently on the Spirit. Last night's formal attire was followed by the vast majority of guests, except for one male person who had the temerity to appear in the Dolce Vita in a short sleeved shirt.

Oh my God!! I hope that did not make you ill or ruin your dinner!!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 11/1/2023 at 7:14 PM, Host Jazzbeau said:

there was one – and one only – man in a tux.  He stuck out like a sore thumb, just as much as Onslow would have in his [don't know the British term] 'wife-beater' t-shirt.  

We were on Abercrombie & Kent to Antarctica years ago and there was a British Lord and Lady who dressed to the nines every single night even after the cruise director announced formal nights on expedition ships made anything acceptable from formal wear to a clean t-shirt. 

After wading around in penguin poop and being wind-blown and water spashed in a rubber boat and for several hours each day, the rest of us were ready to go slightly more casual.

• Haha 3

On 2/14/2024 at 8:16 AM, Silver Spectre said:

Currently on the Spirit. Last night's formal attire was followed by the vast majority of guests, except for one male person who had the temerity to appear in the Dolce Vita in a short sleeved shirt.

Oh heavens!  I hope nobody jumped overboard in protest or horror.

Hank

• Haha 2

• 3 weeks later...
17 minutes ago, Will Work for Tiramisu said:

This fashion suggestion from a popular song from 1959:

Or perhaps this one from 1957:

"A white sport coat and a pink carnation
I'm all dressed up for the dance"

2 hours ago, Will Work for Tiramisu said:

This fashion suggestion from a popular song from 1959:

"He wore, tan shoes and pink shoelaces,

A polka dot vest and man-o-man, 

He wore, tan shoes and pink shoelaces,

A big panama with a purple hat band".

I'd like to show up at a SS dining venue in that get up!  

As long as it's not your itsy-bitsy, teeny-weeny, yellow polka-dot..... 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, Tothesunset said:

As long as it's not your itsy-bitsy, teeny-weeny, yellow polka-dot..... 

That's just so thong.

It was meant to be a secret! 🤣 

• Haha 5

Went to Indochine on an Informal night with the CD, wearing a very snazzy weskit. Being polite I ascertained from the Head Waiter whether I should be wearing a jacket, so I changed to one. On spotting another guest who hadn’t bothered with a jacket I enquired and was told by the same HW that he could do absolutely nothing to stop the other guest from coming in. What a complete waste of space!

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Silver Spectre said:

Went to Indochine on an Informal night with the CD, wearing a very snazzy weskit. Being polite I ascertained from the Head Waiter whether I should be wearing a jacket, so I changed to one. On spotting another guest who hadn’t bothered with a jacket I enquired and was told by the same HW that he could do absolutely nothing to stop the other guest from coming in. What a complete waste of space!

Even worse not so long ago a guest wandered in to Kaiseki at about 7.30 pm in shorts and asked for a table for 8 people. The Matre'd said no. About 10 minutes later the restaurant manager came in and blasted the Maitre'D and said they are coming in half an hour to be seated. I immediately complained to the HD director and from the following day the dress code was enforced.

Edited by drron29

I love reading all the comments and seeing how we can differ on attitudes and on what really matters. As regards KUA I would certainly never dine with Onslow and not Hyacinth either but would love to get Richard to open up. My pet beef in a restaurant would be baseball caps, especially when worn back to front. I love wearing very colourful shirts but appreciate that if I was allowed to enter the restaurant in the shirt with no jacket then others would appear in less interesting attire. Maybe the fashion police should be on the door and leave it at that. Please do not take me seriously. 

Whilst on the subject of the use or non use of a knife reminds me of a private dinner reception I went to in a DC restaurant for Lord Adair Turner. Not being accustomed to dining with Lords and senators I took in the surroundings during the evening. Lord Turner and I were the only Brits in the room and I noticed we were the only ones using our knives all of the time. Since moving to America I often have to ask for a knife as I cannot seem to eat anything at all without one, and certainly do not hold the fork in my right hand. At home now I no longer lay the table with all the forks other than desert fork on the left and simply place all the cutlery on the right with napkin. I did read that it is acceptable in Europe to hold the fork in the right hand and turn it over to eat garden peas. That takes me to another story about a friend who was serving peas to the Queen on the Royal yacht Britannia, and asked her majesty if she would care for more peas. Her response was “no thank you Jennings, I seem to have quite enough down my back”. God love her. 

• Haha 2