How strict is the dress code onboard?

RonWL

48 minutes ago, Brad1185 said:

Formal optional should be collard shirt and slacks no tie, no jacket. Otherwise remove the word optional as a tie and jacket is formal. 

So why not call it an informal night as there is no real formal element to your desires for Formal optional nights. I take Formal optional to mean you can dress formally if you want to but you don't have to.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, drron29 said:

The dress code is listed as formal, informal or casual as it has been before Nova.

So did the blue jacket make an appearance because it is a Formal optional

night or are you dining in Le Dame? It must be the former since you mention the staff enforcing the policy, correct? 

just trying to get this straight before our first trip on Nova next year.

Edited by tinaincc
Additional context
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, tinaincc said:

So did the blue jacket make an appearance because it is a Formal optional night or are you dining in Le Dame?

As Dr. Ron said, all SS Classic ships, other than Nova, still use the traditional nomenclature; formal, informal, and casual.  Based on the Silver Nova graphic you posted, it’s clear there is no longer a formal “requirement” in any dining venue.  

I do like the clarity that your graphic provides.  It certainly makes the minimal requirements expected of men clear.  And, while the graphic probably won’t resolve the age old debate of why men should even be required to dress informally at certain times, we now know that on the Nova at least, men still need to wear a jacket on formal nights, even if they choose to dress accordingly as “Elegant Casual”, i.e. what SS used to refer to as informal dress.  We also know that even if the night has been declared as casual ship wide, men will still need to wear a jacket in La Dame, should they wish to dine there.

Coming from a super casual family who initially chose SS for the formality of its dress code, I, for one, applaud SS’s efforts to try and accommodate the wishes of many who would like to dress more casually for the entirety of their cruise, while still providing an opportunity to dress formally to those of us who like to to do so.  I assume we’ll know soon enough, probably by the time Silver Ray enters the fleet, whether the attire test on the Nova was successful, or not. 🤞

• Like 2

And you are requested to wear a jacket on informal nights in Atlantide, SALT/Indochine and silver note. Hence the colourful jackets come out on informal nights. Formal I wear a dinner suit. There are the usual restaurants that allow the dress code to be relaxed so no jacket required.

It does depend on the Maitre'D/restaurant manager enforcing the dress code. some don't but it is on this cruise. I saw 2 gentlemen without jackets and a lady wearing shorts and a T shirt being turned away from Atlantide last night.

Edited by drron29
  • Thanks 3

We are on the Dawn in December in the Caribbean, 10 nights. I assume this is still enforced even on the Caribbean sailings?

Also, on formal nights, I know some dining venues allow no jackets - what about other public areas, like bars, the shows etc? 

23 minutes ago, ak1004 said:

We are on the Dawn in December in the Caribbean, 10 nights. I assume this is still enforced even on the Caribbean sailings?

Also, on formal nights, I know some dining venues allow no jackets - what about other public areas, like bars, the shows etc? 

Hi, yes, Caribbean sailings still have a dress code. When you look at the Chronicle's (on boarding day), it tells you what the dress code is for all the evenings. 

I can't remember which night was which but I sailed on The Dawn back in January to the Caribbean😃

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Stumblefoot said:

As Dr. Ron said, all SS Classic ships, other than Nova, still use the traditional nomenclature; formal, informal, and casual.  Based on the Silver Nova graphic you posted, it’s clear there is no longer a formal “requirement” in any dining venue.  

I do like the clarity that your graphic provides.  It certainly makes the minimal requirements expected of men clear.  And, while the graphic probably won’t resolve the age old debate of why men should even be required to dress informally at certain times, we now know that on the Nova at least, men still need to wear a jacket on formal nights, even if they choose to dress accordingly as “Elegant Casual”, i.e. what SS used to refer to as informal dress.  We also know that even if the night has been declared as casual ship wide, men will still need to wear a jacket in La Dame, should they wish to dine there.

Coming from a super casual family who initially chose SS for the formality of its dress code, I, for one, applaud SS’s efforts to try and accommodate the wishes of many who would like to dress more casually for the entirety of their cruise, while still providing an opportunity to dress formally to those of us who like to to do so.  I assume we’ll know soon enough, probably by the time Silver Ray enters the fleet, whether the attire test on the Nova was successful, or not. 🤞

Thanks, I pulled the graphic off another social media platform 😃 My mistake was linking this in my head to all ships, not just Nova. Now I have it straight and am grateful that our 12 day trip is on Ray (which I assume will take on the Nove dress code.)

10 minutes ago, Lois R said:

Hi, yes, Caribbean sailings still have a dress code. When you look at the Chronicle's (on boarding day), it tells you what the dress code is for all the evenings. 

I can't remember which night was which but I sailed on The Dawn back in January to the Caribbean😃

Thank you. What about the public areas other than the dining venues? I'm not talking about shorts or jeans, but specifically jackets? I assume nobody will turn you down from the show without a jacket?

Edited by ak1004

15 minutes ago, ak1004 said:

Thank you. What about the public areas other than the dining venues? I'm not talking about shorts or jeans, but specifically jackets? I assume nobody will turn you down from the show without a jacket?

Trying to give you the best answer I can----I don't know if anyone has been turned away from entering the theater without a jacket on nights they are required. I just don't really take notice (unless someone is being totally outlandish) I would probably not notice. 

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, drron29 said:

And you are requested to wear a jacket on informal nights in Atlantide, SALT/Indochine and silver note. Hence the colourful jackets come out on informal nights. Formal I wear a dinner suit. There are the usual restaurants that allow the dress code to be relaxed so no jacket required.

It does depend on the Maitre'D/restaurant manager enforcing the dress code. some don't but it is on this cruise. I saw 2 gentlemen without jackets and a lady wearing shorts and a T shirt being turned away from Atlantide last night.

Shorts and t shirt for dinner in Atlantide?😮.......so did she go change her clothes?

On 10/12/2023 at 2:46 PM, drron29 said:

So the blue jacket makes it’s first appearance.

IMG_4796.thumb.jpeg.5458279e170afb6063d12ff1c35bce13.jpeg

And in other news the Maitre’D and Restaurant Manager are enforcing the dress code in Atlantide.

Très chic! Easy to spot you now when boarding in a few days in Hongkong😊

• Like 2

2 hours ago, lincslady said:

Bit rude!!

Not a problem. At dinner tonight a fellow wearing a very expensive designer outfit said he liked my jacket and was impressed when I told him the cost. So to each his own.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, Lemorvan said:

Ah, we have the same tailor. I got two pairs of trousers plus the jacket for my $35. Can’t beat a bit of Thai tailoring. 

Tailoring?  The way that jacket fits across the fronts of the shoulders, it's definitely not bespoke work.

Yikes.

• Like 1