How strict is the dress code onboard?

RonWL

My wife doesn't want to go way back to the early days of cruising when all men wore jackets and ties and even tuxedos.  We're going on the Silver Shadow in a little over a month, and packing all that garb will require us to check bags (which is something we haven't done for years now).  Just how strict are the dress codes?  Can I get away with just a sport coat and tie, or must I bring a dark suit?

Edited by RonWL
Misspelled

I imagine they won't throw you out of the restaurant if you're wearing a sports coat with a tie. I have a navy sports coat (not a blazer with the gold buttons - it looks like a suite jacket) and a pair of navy pants I plan to wear with a tie and will most likely eat in the main dining room on formal nights (2 scheduled). I'm sailing next week so I'll let you know if they throw me out.

All my suits are pre-covid size. 😞  I haven't worn my tux in over decade so good luck getting that on. I don't see needing a suit for any other reason for the foreseeable future. This will have to do.

Edited by erikzen
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, dusababy said:

Why is it so hard to question and comply with a long established, reasonable dress code that elevates ladies and gentlemen for an evening or two of an adult dining experience ?

Times have changed.  We have retired.  I haven't worn a suit in at least 4 years, and my wife doesn't like such "elevated" affairs.  We also haven't checked a bag at the airport for quite some time - prefer not worrying about the airline losing them and waiting for them at the baggage claim.  OK, we can (and will) pay for a luggage concierge service, if necessary, but sure would prefer getting by with as little baggage as possible.  Yes, we did have many formal affairs aboard cruise ships in the past.  However, like ErikZen, my tuxedo hasn't been worn in ages.  (Remember the days when you could rent a tuxedo onboard?)  We have been on many cruises recently and have not found a need for suits and ties.  (Some cruise lines will have a special night - like the "White Night" on Azamara - but they have been quite lenient with the guests' compliance.)

• Like 14

2 minutes ago, RonWL said:

Times have changed.  We have retired.  I haven't worn a suit in at least 4 years, and my wife doesn't like such "elevated" affairs.  We also haven't checked a bag at the airport for quite some time - prefer not worrying about the airline losing them and waiting for them at the baggage claim.  OK, we can (and will) pay for a luggage concierge service, if necessary, but sure would prefer getting by with as little baggage as possible.  Yes, we did have many formal affairs aboard cruise ships in the past.  However, like ErikZen, my tuxedo hasn't been worn in ages.  (Remember the days when you could rent a tuxedo onboard?)  We have been on many cruises recently and have not found a need for suits and ties.  (Some cruise lines will have a special night - like the "White Night" on Azamara - but they have been quite lenient with the guests' compliance.)

Why did you book Silversea?  Just a question.   

• Like 10
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, mysty said:

Why did you book Silversea?  Just a question.

Heard that it may be the very best of cruise lines, and have always wanted to give it a try.  This particular itinerary (Quebec to Quebec) sounded very interesting.  Our favorite line had been Crystal - wondered how Silversea compared to the "old Crystal."  (We've got a cruise on the "new Crystal" booked for next year.)

• Like 2

You can definitely get by with a sport coat and tie.  On formal nights, simply dine at Hot Rocks (casual) or LaTerrazza (where informal --jacket but no tie needed) is accepted on formal nights.  Formal nights are of course infrequent.  I suggest you make reservations for LaTerrazza for formal nights.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Observer said:

I suggest you make reservations for LaTerrazza for formal nights.

Thank you!  This cruise has two formal nights and I just booked LaTerrazza for both of them!

• Like 3

A few things about formal nights.  You have lot’s of options not to wear formal.  And some people look great doing formal, others—be honest — some of those formal outfits (both men and women) are just to old or don’t fit, they would have been better off not dressing formal.  I think SS is getting the massage - the times are changing, people don’t dress like they use too.  It’s going to be all about profit—who’s willing to pay for a cruise and what comfort they want.  

• Like 8

2 hours ago, dusababy said:

Why is it so hard to question and comply with a long established, reasonable dress code that elevates ladies and gentlemen for an evening or two of an adult dining experience ??

Many of us feel that an adult dining experience does not or should not require formal dress.  It’s not a matter of questioning and complying.  Some of you old guard formal night proponents will find that fewer and fewer cruise lines are going to require formal dress.  Does it really diminish your dining experience if I am not wearing a tie to dinner?

• Like 10

By the way, on the first formal night I am waitlisted for LaTerrazza.  Sounds like there are plenty of others not wanting to harken back to the old days of cruising.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Daveywavey70 said:

I’m more worried about how underdressed I’ll make the rest of the room feel on my first Celebrity cruise next January when I turn up in my Bentley diamond velvet smoking jacket and Loubie dandelions. I’d hate to embarrass them. 

I would not be embarrassed by you turning up dressed that way.  My jaw might be on the floor, but I wouldn't be embarrassed!  😉

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, LAexNY said:

Many of us feel that an adult dining experience does not or should not require formal dress.  It’s not a matter of questioning and complying.  Some of you old guard formal night proponents will find that fewer and fewer cruise lines are going to require formal dress.  Does it really diminish your dining experience if I am not wearing a tie to dinner?

That's pretty much a put-down of those who enjoy Silversea's ambiance and style, Many feel they have a lovely "adult dining experience" on Silversea wearing formal clobber together with others doing the same thing. (sorry, clobber is slang for clothes!) Of course, times are always changing and "the old guard" may be diminishing. Silversea, though it's definition of formal is not what it was not too many years ago, is pretty much hanging out. I'm sure Silversea will change when they determine that it is in their best interests to do so. They are, after all, a business.

• Like 6

Ron – DW and I are booked on our first Silversea cruise in January.  A great itinerary for NZ and Oz, and like you we heard lots of good things about Silversea.  Like you we didn't realize how formal the line is until we were committed.  [16 days = 3 formal nights!]  I've been hoping that Silversea's new corporate owner would clue them in to 21st Century dress standards, but I have given up on any changes before our cruise.  I will bring a dark suit for formal nights, plus a light sport coat for informal nights – and a Pink Flamingo bow tie to register my feelings!

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, RonWL said:

By the way, on the first formal night I am waitlisted for LaTerrazza.  Sounds like there are plenty of others not wanting to harken back to the old days of cruising.

That’s us. We did not bring tie on our previous silversea cruises. We look smashing and elegant but a tie is a non starter. Leaving tues for 3rd cruise on Moon. No tie. Formal nights booked in la terraza and hot rocks. Very doable 

on Cunard we bring the tux and all the bells and whistles. No need to do so on silversea 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bitob said:

That’s us. We did not bring tie on our previous silversea cruises. We look smashing and elegant but a tie is a non starter. Leaving tues for 3rd cruise on Moon. No tie. Formal nights booked in la terraza and hot rocks. Very doable 

on Cunard we bring the tux and all the bells and whistles. No need to do so on silversea 

Cunard turns me off as I find the class system attracts the wrong sort. I Quietly put them in their place when I mention I’m good friends with the family (not the son that inherited the line but even so). 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, turtlemichael said:

That's pretty much a put-down of those who enjoy Silversea's ambiance and style, Many feel they have a lovely "adult dining experience" on Silversea wearing formal clobber together with others doing the same thing. (sorry, clobber is slang for clothes!) Of course, times are always changing and "the old guard" may be diminishing. Silversea, though it's definition of formal is not what it was not too many years ago, is pretty much hanging out. I'm sure Silversea will change when they determine that it is in their best interests to do so. They are, after all, a business.

That a very Northern term Turtle! Where do you hail from? 

There are many wonderful things about Silversea besides what you are wearing for dinner.  We do everything possible to avoid checking luggage for all the same reasons you do.  We bring clothes that are appropriate for dinner at a nice restaurant (my husband does bring a jacket but I think he ‘wears’ that on the plane) and we happily eat at the Grill or La Terrazza on formal nights and bypass the whole formal business.  Some people do get all dressed up and some don’t. Don’t worry about it and you will be fine.  I think the formal dress code business is going to quietly fade into the sunset over the next few years.

• Like 6

9 minutes ago, Daveywavey70 said:

Cunard turns me off

I was going to mention Cunard as the only other highly formal line I know about.  Been on Cunard once - but not in one of the "Grills."  Their food was fine - not super great, but OK.  Their dance floors could not be beat.  They did a great job of embarkation and debarkation.  Funny how they kept all those old customs.  Recall another line that Cunard bought - I think their first class was very formal.  That line was White Star.  Dancing as the Titanic sank.

14 minutes ago, RonWL said:

I was going to mention Cunard as the only other highly formal line I know about.  Been on Cunard once - but not in one of the "Grills."  Their food was fine - not super great, but OK.  Their dance floors could not be beat.  They did a great job of embarkation and debarkation.  Funny how they kept all those old customs.  Recall another line that Cunard bought - I think their first class was very formal.  That line was White Star.  Dancing as the Titanic sank.

We enjoy Cunard but not as our go to line. We are doing a b2b transatlantic in September — our second Cunard cruise  We book the queens grill where the food is best. We love the speakers and entertainment and it’s fun to dress up. I can play duplicate bridge every day. Great change of pace 

1 hour ago, Daveywavey70 said:

That a very Northern term Turtle! Where do you hail from? 

Australia. The convicts apparently brought in the term “clobber”. Indeed, there are quite a few like that though most young people wouldn’t know them.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, LAexNY said:

Does it really diminish your dining experience if I am not wearing a tie to dinner?

Old, OLD argument.  Let me try to put it to bed one last time.

To answer your question, no, not much, but it does show your disrespect for the line's business model, and in some fashion, those who might have chosen the line because of it.

Let's assume for just a moment that it is Silversea's intent to attempt to differentiate their product from others by, among other things, continuing to cater to those who still enjoy this style of dining, and hope to capture that segment of the cruising public by doing so.  Who are you to object? 

• Like 12