How strict is the dress code onboard?

RonWL

Yes, aesthetics are still relevant to some. Taken to the extreme:

Imagine if La Dame's walls were decorated with Metallica cover art.

No, it wouldn't change the food, but it might impact the ambiance a bit.

To say that there's no visual component to the dining experience is being naive.  Everyone has their own threshold of perception for such things.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Daveywavey70 said:

I’m more worried about how underdressed I’ll make the rest of the room feel on my first Celebrity cruise next January when I turn up in my Bentley diamond velvet smoking jacket and Loubie dandelions. I’d hate to embarrass them. 

If you read the Celebrity threads they are allowing shorts in the restaurants at dinner!!

4 hours ago, canderson said:

Old, OLD argument.  Let me try to put it to bed one last time.

To answer your question, no, not much, but it does show your disrespect for the line's business model, and in some fashion, those who might have chosen the line because of it.

Let's assume for just a moment that it is Silversea's intent to attempt to differentiate their product from others by, among other things, continuing to cater to those who still enjoy this style of dining, and hope to capture that segment of the cruising public by doing so.  Who are you to object? 

If that's the case, why does Silversea relax the dress code on certain cruises like Alaska?

• Like 1

I'm not sure why we have to have this discussion over and over again on every cruise form that I know of.

Every cruise line that I know of has a "dress code", both for day and for evening. Depending on the cruise line the evening dress code can be "suggested", "requested" or "required" (possibly some other definitions that I cannot recall) - for either all cruises/all ships or varied by cruise/ship depending on the cruise line's requirements. This is available at the time of booking (OK it can change after booking but that is another discussion). So far nothing contentious, I hope.

Now we get two camps where the evening dress code is concerned:

1. Those who like/agree/want the dress code and, in some cases choose the cruise line/ship because it offers what they want, and will adhere to the cruise line's request.
  2. Those who want the dress code to change to suit (no pun intended) their preferences.

Also, as far as I know, most, if not all, cruise lines have options for those who do not wish to follow the evening dress code but that in itself places restrictions on those who wish to "opt out" - and this is where the problem lies and is compounded by the fact that most cruise lines do not, or will not, enforce their own rules.

Should the dress code rules change? That is a decision for the cruise line but one thing that is for sure is that the dress code will evolve - as it has been doing for many years (there was a time when formal dress was required every night of a cruise!). Passengers that want dress codes to change should make representation to the cruise line and not try to force the change by ignoring the rules in the hope that the cruise line will take notice of them - remember there are those with other points of view.

What is the answer? In my view it is simple - the dress codes are spelt out in advance and passengers make their own decisions on whether the cruise line is what they want and if so how they will use the facilities that are available to them in respect of their own preferences. This does, however, require the cruise line to enforce their requirements.

• Like 8

I haven't looked at a 'dress code' thread for months, maybe years, as it's a sad topic and a conversational cul-de-sac.  However, I have read through this one as I am about to embark on my first 'classic' Silversea ship - ie, not an expedition ship.  Reading through this, whatever your views on the topic, whether you conform or not - and Silversea allows for both -  many will think, 'Why am I going on this ship?' It's a total turn-off.

Edited by Fletcher
  • Like 1

The reason its constantly discussed is it continuously gets more ambiguous.  I know the current SS dress code rules but many have posted that on formal night its fine to wear a dark sports coat, dark pants with a shirt & ties.  I have no problem wearing a suit & tie but would prefer not to lug it along if a jacket & tie is currently acceptable and that's what many people wear.  So its my understanding that on our upcoming 10 day Alaska cruise a jacket and tie are fine, on our other non Alaska cruises should I bring a suit or does the jacket and tie work?   Again, I know the stated rules I'm asking the actual current situation.

If someone doesn't want to wear a suit & tie there are other dining options on formal night but a jacket is still required in many places.  If you are opposed to wearing a sports jacket SS probably isn't a good choice IMO.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, RetiredandTravel said:

The reason its constantly discussed is it continuously gets more ambiguous.  I know the current SS dress code rules but many have posted that on formal night its fine to wear a dark sports coat, dark pants with a shirt & ties.  I have no problem wearing a suit & tie but would prefer not to lug it along if a jacket & tie is currently acceptable and that's what many people wear.  So its my understanding that on our upcoming 10 day Alaska cruise a jacket and tie are fine, on our other non Alaska cruises should I bring a suit or does the jacket and tie work?   Again, I know the stated rules I'm asking the actual current situation.

If someone doesn't want to wear a suit & tie there are other dining options on formal night but a jacket is still required in many places.  If you are opposed to wearing a sports jacket SS probably isn't a good choice IMO.

I’m on Dawn, in advance it stated Thursday was “formal” but it was very clear in chronicles and on the app and on the tv thing on board that it now was “informal / formal optional”. On the listing for that night it says For ladies : dresses or pantsuits, For men : jackets (tie optional). It also says no shorts or flip flop type footwear after 6pm in indoor venues. The only place enforced was la dame where the listing categorically stated “jackets required” (nothing about pantsuits or ties - I’m guessing only men need to be told!). No bar area that night enforced jackets or ties and same on informal night which also is “jackets”. I would say however that around 2/3 of male passengers were wearing a blazer or sports jacket but no ties at night. Most are also wearing smart jeans or chinos. I personally think a jacket is nice if only in case seated next to draught or for a post dinner stroll on deck.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, seaver said:

If that's the case, why does Silversea relax the dress code on certain cruises like Alaska?

Evidently they thought it would be good to create a more casual atmosphere for those itineraries --- while at the same time, NOT creating such a casual atmosphere for others.  You'd have to ask those responsible for these decisions at Silversea.  Doesn't change the fact that they're still trying to differentiate their product on the vast majority of their itineraries, and that the distinction is spelled out clearly enough in the literature.

• Like 1

Thanks.  I'm not trying to weigh in on the formal attire debate.  I will wear a jacket every night except when dress is casual and have no  intention of wearing jeans.  My question is on formal nights is wearing a sports jacket and a tie currently accepted (and that's what many wear) or should I bring a suit?  

• Like 1

14 hours ago, RonWL said:

By the way, on the first formal night I am waitlisted for LaTerrazza.  Sounds like there are plenty of others not wanting to harken back to the old days of cruising.

There’s always room service, dress code optional.

• Like 3

The infrequent formal nights are not what makes SS a great option for cruising.  It is just an element that a growing number of cruisers do not care about. Gentlemen can get by with a dark sport coat and dark pants on formal nights in any venue despite the eye-rolls from the old guard. Ladies just need dressy tops and flowy pants.  Formal nights are not worth checking luggage if your normal travel style is to carry-on. Many cruisers manage the formal night with carry-on luggage only.

• Like 5

47 minutes ago, RetiredandTravel said:

Thanks.  I'm not trying to weigh in on the formal attire debate.  I will wear a jacket every night except when dress is casual and have no  intention of wearing jeans.  My question is on formal nights is wearing a sports jacket and a tie currently accepted (and that's what many wear) or should I bring a suit?  

Perfectly acceptable.  However I don’t think you’ll blend in on formal nights with a loud plaid jacket a chinos but a dark sport coat and dark slacks should be fine.

• Thanks 1

Wow!  Never thought I would get this much action when I started this thread!  I started a roll call for my Silver Shadow cruise and it took a week for anyone to join.

I understand both sides here and, ultimately, I'm sure Silversea will do whatever is best for its "bottom line."

I was one of those passengers who actually liked sitting at the same dinner table every night.  We got to meet people that way.  Over time, the "assigned seating" was replaced by sit where you want.  There were ways to ease into the new seating regime - a "middle ground," so to speak.  But slowly things are moving farther and farther into the "sit where you want" camp.  And somehow, we're still able to meet people.

The old fashioned "formal night," with tuxedos and all, does harken back to an earlier time.  It provides much of the same enjoyment as a costume party.  We sailed Azamara last year (for the first time - and liked it) and they had a "white night."  Some would simply wear a white shirt, but yours truly wore everything white - from shoes and pants to vest and jacket.  We went on a Uniworld Nile River cruise (another line we like a lot) and I bought an Egyptian outfit for their dress up event.  (Don't think I'll ever wear that outfit again.)  So I understand.  I wore a suit to work for over 40 years and putting one on now just doesn't give me the same sort of enjoyment - it's just a nuisance.

This thread has been very informative - Thank you all.  I know now that we can skip the formal nights and have good dinners elsewhere - joining like-minded folks (and perhaps making some new friends in the process).

• Like 1

Sport jacket is all men need to respect the dress code.

On the few nights when a tie is required in Atlantide, you can opt to dine in Hot Rocks or La Terrazza or  the pizza place or  opt for room service.  It really is not an issue.  

I'm not sure why some passengers even care.  I surely do not care what any other passenger is wearing provided that the attire is respectable.  Silversea gives you options.  Use them

In fact, Cunard gives you options too.  You can avoid formal attire but it's not as much fun as puttin' on the Ritz IMO

• Like 4

22 hours ago, mysty said:

Why did you book Silversea?  Just a question.   

We looked at Regent, but didn't find a cruise that was desirable.  The 8-14 Quebec City and return on

Shadow was perfect.

About 10 year ago I told a friend that I now only wear a suit for weddings and funerals.  His reply was,  " My wedding and my funeral".  That seems to be the way most of the US thinks these days. 

I'm not buying a new suit for two night on an 11 night cruise. 

I'll be wearing my blazer with gold buttons and a tie. 

As others have mentioned traveling is a pain these days. Lack of help at airports, etc. Traveling light is desirable.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Fletcher said:

I haven't looked at a 'dress code' thread for months, maybe years, as it's a sad topic and a conversational cul-de-sac.  However, I have read through this one as I am about to embark on my first 'classic' Silversea ship - ie, not an expedition ship.  Reading through this, whatever your views on the topic, whether you conform or not - and Silversea allows for both -  many will think, 'Why am I going on this ship?' It's a total turn-off.

I always enjoy your commentary on the itineraries you choose.  May I ask which upcoming Silversea classic cruise you have chosen?  

My DH wore a sport coat, dress slacks and a tie for formal night.  No one said a thing.  In my (albeit limited) experience of 2 SS cruises, I would estimate for men:  20% wear formal, 20% wear coat and tie, and the remainder wear a dark suit.

For women, 5% wear long, 50% wear true cocktail (short formal), 35% wear very nice dresses or dressy slacks with silk or sequined top, and the remainder wear . . . not much more than dressy casual.  I suspected that the last group consisted of women who didn't own a more formal dress and didn't want to buy one for the cruise.  it was clear they'd made an attempt to look nice (never saw jeans, etc.) but dressing up just wasn't their thing.  Just my perception -- I could well be wrong.

• Thanks 1

So we have booked our first Silversea cruise and I am so excited.   We usually cruise Princess and love to dress up - well me anyway but my husband is happy to go along with the dress code.   For formal nights he usually wears black suit trousers, shirt and tie, and a plain light coloured suit jacket.   From reading this thread have I got it right that you really need to wear both dark trousers and a dark jacket for formal night?   

1 hour ago, ggo85 said:

My DH wore a sport coat, dress slacks and a tie for formal night.  No one said a thing.  In my (albeit limited) experience of 2 SS cruises, I would estimate for men:  20% wear formal, 20% wear coat and tie, and the remainder wear a dark suit.

For women, 5% wear long, 50% wear true cocktail (short formal), 35% wear very nice dresses or dressy slacks with silk or sequined top, and the remainder wear . . . not much more than dressy casual.  I suspected that the last group consisted of women who didn't own a more formal dress and didn't want to buy one for the cruise.  it was clear they'd made an attempt to look nice (never saw jeans, etc.) but dressing up just wasn't their thing.  Just my perception -- I could well be wrong.

From my observation, you have got it about right. I have not owned any sort of suit for 20 years and happily have been able to dine in any Silversea venue on formal nights whenever I wanted to. 

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, datone said:

So we have booked our first Silversea cruise and I am so excited.   We usually cruise Princess and love to dress up - well me anyway but my husband is happy to go along with the dress code.   For formal nights he usually wears black suit trousers, shirt and tie, and a plain light coloured suit jacket.   From reading this thread have I got it right that you really need to wear both dark trousers and a dark jacket for formal night?   

No rules about color 

shirt tie sport jacket slacks will be permissible if that’s your preference 

it’s the tie that’s required. Lol

On 7/7/2023 at 3:37 PM, mysty said:

Why did you book Silversea?  Just a question.   

Believe it or not, dress code is not the primary criterion upon which many choose a cruise line.

• Like 4

I have some recollection that the dining room (at least Atlantide) had a few spare ties for those without.  Could have sworn I saw them hand one out.  

On our last cruise, we noticed that the dress code was casual on nights after a day in port.  We appreciated that, though some still wore jackets. 

2 minutes ago, LAexNY said:

Believe it or not, dress code is not the primary criterion upon which many choose a cruise line.

Agreed!  However, once you've decided on the cruise line of choice why complain about the dress code?

• Like 4