How strict is the dress code onboard?

RonWL

37 minutes ago, Rothko1 said:

Down in South Florida, its very common not to wear socks.  I've even seen some guys in tuxedos without socks.

No socks here in the desert also for 2/3 of the year. Actually, most wear the little socks that are not visible so it looks like no socks.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, bitob said:

That’s the dress code. The dress code is clear.

I think a big part of the problem is that this actually isn't true! The dress code is anything but clear. Seriously… follow me here…

Go to the Silversea web site and find where the dress code is posted. I'll wait…

Ah, you can't! Because Silversea does not post anything called a dress code. When you poke around, if you're diligent enough, you may find the information they provide. It's on the General Information page, buried under the heading for "Packing Your Cruise Luggage". So it's understandable that many new-to-Silversea cruisers likely never even find this information.

Then look at what Silversea actually says. First, as I said, there is nothing called "Dress Code". Instead, all you'll find is "Clothing Suggestions – Shipboard Attire". Well, "Suggestions" is quite different than "Code".

The text then talks about what is "appropriate" clothing for men and women for each of the three categories of evenings. 

"Evening attire falls into three categories: casual, informal and formal. On casual evenings, pants, blouses, skirts and casual dresses for ladies; open-neck shirts and slacks for gentlemen are appropriate. On informal evenings, ladies usually wear dresses or pantsuits; gentlemen wear jackets (tie optional). Appropriate formal evening wear for ladies is an evening gown or cocktail dress; gentlemen wear tuxedos, dinner jackets or dark suits. Tie is required."

So the only thing stated as a firm requirement is a tie, for men, on formal nights! Then things fall apart even further. The "Clothing Suggestions" section continues:

On formal nights, guests may dine in La Terrazza and choose to dress informal; dresses or pantsuits for ladies, jackets for gentlemen (tie optional). This option also applies to Seishin on board Silver Spirit, Kaiseki on board Muse, Moon and Dawn. Dining at The Grill and Spaccanapoli is optional casual all nights. Following dinner, all guests are free to take advantage of any or all public spaces, however, jacket is required.

So SALT Kitchen and La Dame, in addition to Atlantide, are formal on formal nights (which is contrary to what some have posted in this thread). Next, this states that a jacket is required in any public spaces on the ship of formal nights. So even if you dine at Hot Rocks in shorts and a polo shirt, you need to change to put on a jacket to go to a bar or theater, according to what Silversea has posted — even though posts in this thread state that the dress code only applies to the restaurants.

Additionally, there is no mention in the Silversea language about Formal nights actually being "Informal/Formal Optional" on 7 night cruises.

Additionally, there is no mention of different rules applying for expedition cruises, including the lack of formal nights and a jacket being optional on informal nights, even though one-third of Silversea's current fleet is expedition ships. 

The Silversea statement also says: "Casual wear is appropriate for daytime aboard ship or ashore and consists of standard sports outfits as worn at five-star resorts." But I think almost everyone agrees that jeans and shorts are acceptable clothing during the day — despite this not being what SS says.

There is no mention of jeans not being allowed; in fact, the word "jeans" does not appear in the document. So it's left up to the reader to decide if nice jeans are or are not "pants" or "slacks".

Note that what's posted on the Silversea website does not match the language often printed in Chronicles aboard the ships. 

So my point is that Silversea's dress code is not clear, especially to new passengers. It would be easy to correct the discrepancies, close the loopholes, make clear the intent, and replace "suggestions" with "Our Dress Code". Yet despite this being an ongoing topic of strife both here and on FB, Silversea has chosen not to. Longtime passengers who think the rules are clear should understand that they are not — and that the fault lies not with new customers who understandably have questions, but with Silversea for not making them clear.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 5

6 minutes ago, cruiseej said:

I think a big part of the problem is that this actually isn't true! The dress code is anything but clear. Seriously… follow me here…

Go to the Silversea web site and find where the dress code is posted. I'll wait…

Ah, you can't! Because Silversea does not post anything called a dress code. When you poke around, if you're diligent enough, you may find the information they provide. It's on the General Information page, buried under the heading for "Packing Your Cruise Luggage". So it's understandable that many new-to-Silversea cruisers likely never even find this information.

Then look at what Silversea actually says. First, as I said, there is nothing called "Dress Code". Instead, all you'll find is "Clothing Suggestions – Shipboard Attire". Well, "Suggestions" is quite different than "Code".

The text then talks about what is "appropriate" clothing for men and women for each of the three categories of evenings. 

"Evening attire falls into three categories: casual, informal and formal. On casual evenings, pants, blouses, skirts and casual dresses for ladies; open-neck shirts and slacks for gentlemen are appropriate. On informal evenings, ladies usually wear dresses or pantsuits; gentlemen wear jackets (tie optional). Appropriate formal evening wear for ladies is an evening gown or cocktail dress; gentlemen wear tuxedos, dinner jackets or dark suits. Tie is required."

So the only thing stated as a firm requirement is a tie, for men, on formal nights! Then things fall apart even further. The "Clothing Suggestions" section continues:

On formal nights, guests may dine in La Terrazza and choose to dress informal; dresses or pantsuits for ladies, jackets for gentlemen (tie optional). This option also applies to Seishin on board Silver Spirit, Kaiseki on board Muse, Moon and Dawn. Dining at The Grill and Spaccanapoli is optional casual all nights. Following dinner, all guests are free to take advantage of any or all public spaces, however, jacket is required.

So SALT Kitchen and La Dame, in addition to Atlantide, are formal on formal nights (which is contrary to what some have posted in this thread). Next, this states that a jacket is required in any public spaces on the ship of formal nights. So even if you dine at Hot Rocks in shorts and a polo shirt, you need to change to put on a jacket to go to a bar or theater, according to what Silversea has posted — even though posts in this thread state that the dress code only applies to the restaurants.

Additionally, there is no mention in the Silversea language about Formal nights actually being "Informal/Formal Optional" on 7 night cruises.

Additionally, there is no mention of different rules applying for expedition cruises, including the lack of formal nights and a jacket being optional on informal nights, even though one-third of Silversea's current fleet is expedition ships. 

The Silversea statement also says: "Casual wear is appropriate for daytime aboard ship or ashore and consists of standard sports outfits as worn at five-star resorts." But I think almost everyone agrees that jeans and shorts are acceptable clothing during the day — despite this not being what SS says.

There is no mention of jeans not being allowed; in fact, the word "jeans" does not appear in the document. So it's left up to the reader to decide if nice jeans are or are not "pants" or "slacks".

Note that what's posted on the Silversea website does not match the language often printed in Chronicles aboard the ships. 

So my point is that Silversea's dress code is not clear, especially to new passengers. It would be easy to correct the discrepancies, close the loopholes, make clear the intent, and replace "suggestions" with "Our Dress Code". Yet despite this being an ongoing topic of strife both here and on FB, Silversea has chosen not to. Longtime passengers who think the rules are clear should understand that they are not — and that the fault lies not with new customers who understandably have questions, but with Silversea for not making them clear.

Excellent  analysis of this thorny subject. Thank you for taking the time to research this. I will be on the Nova 8-21-23 and looking forward to the new ship. Bon voyage!!

13 minutes ago, cruiseej said:

Well done

my friends were just on the silver wind. On an expedition. Jacket required. He did not bring one so they provided one 

what is clear is that you can survive indeed thrive on silversea without a tie. Jacket is a must. For us, that’s enough to know to be in compliance. 

maybe someone at silversea will read this and start drafting lol

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, bitob said:

Well done

my friends were just on the silver wind. On an expedition. Jacket required. He did not bring one so they provided one 

what is clear is that you can survive indeed thrive on silversea without a tie. Jacket is a must. For us, that’s enough to know to be in compliance. 

maybe someone at silversea will read this and start drafting lol

Just to clarify - I am the friend bitob mentioned.  We were on a B2B expedition cruise.  On each leg (12 and 14 days) there were two informal nights where jackets were supposedly required.  This was clearly not enforced as at least one guy was wearing a Hawaiian shirt.

It had been my (apparently wrong) understanding that jackets were never required on expedition cruises. We have been on Silver Origin in Galapagos and jackets were never even suggested.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, cruiseej said:

Good reminder of the suggested attire.  Seems SS really doesn’t want to insist or require anything more than “appropriate” attire mostly, a tie in certain venues and jacket aftef dinner.  Also seems they do not want to turn off potential customers with an overly strict “dress code”.  Lot’s of room for discretion.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, LAexNY said:

Just to clarify - I am the friend bitob mentioned.  We were on a B2B expedition cruise.  On each leg (12 and 14 days) there were two informal nights where jackets were supposedly required.  This was clearly not enforced as at least one guy was wearing a Hawaiian shirt.

It had been my (apparently wrong) understanding that jackets were never required on expedition cruises. We have been on Silver Origin in Galapagos and jackets were never even suggested.

I almost had it right!!

3 hours ago, no1talks said:

And were their shoes Birkenstocks?

Their attire, so their call. However, I'd sooner go commando while in a tux, than sockless. (Neither omission has ever occurred, I'm happy to report.)

No.  The thing here is to wear Stubbs & Wooten dress slippers with the tuxedo, without socks.  "Stubbies" are very chic here, and rather expensive - around $600 or so for a pair.  Here's an example:

th?id=OIP.-S6Hu8S0XYKxM2D1rbojKgHaHa&pid=Api&P=0&h=180

• Like 2

From Silversea's website:

CLOTHING ABOARD THE SHIP
Silversea operates an on board dress code after 6pm, while during the day casual wear is appropriate for daytime and consists of standard sports outfits as worn at five-star resorts. 
Shoes should be flat or low heeled for deck activities. Evening wear falls into three categories: casual, informal and formal. 
On casual evenings, pants, blouses or casual dresses for women; open-neck shirts and slacks for men are appropriate. 
On informal evenings, women wear dresses or pantsuits; men wear jackets (tie optional). Appropriate formal wear for women is an evening gown or cocktail dress; men wear tuxedos, dinner jackets or dark suits. Tie is required.
On formal nights, guests may dine in La Terrazza and choose to dress informal. Same applies to Seishin and Stars on board Silver Spirit and Kaiseki and Silver Note on Muse. Dining at The Grill is optional casual all nights. Same applies to Spaccanapoli on Muse. Following dinner, guests may take advantage of public spaces, however, jacket is required.
On 7-day sailings or less, the formal night is per guest discretion. Meaning that while the ship will operate one formal night, appropriate formal evening wear is optional. A guideline for reference is below.
On sailings of 7 days or less, expect 1 formal night (dress optional).
On sailings of 8-9 days, expect 1 formal night.
On sailings of 10-14 days, expect 2 formal nights.
On sailings of 15 days and above, expect 3 formal nights.

10 minutes ago, Rothko1 said:

No.  The thing here is to wear Stubbs & Wooten dress slippers with the tuxedo, without socks.  "Stubbies" are very chic here, and rather expensive - around $600 or so for a pair.  Here's an example:

th?id=OIP.-S6Hu8S0XYKxM2D1rbojKgHaHa&pid=Api&P=0&h=180

Are they like Church's for poor people?

• Haha 2

48 minutes ago, RonWL said:

From Silversea's website:

CLOTHING ABOARD THE SHIP
Silversea operates an on board dress code after 6pm, while during the day casual wear is appropriate for daytime and consists of standard sports outfits as worn at five-star resorts. 
Shoes should be flat or low heeled for deck activities. Evening wear falls into three categories: casual, informal and formal. 
On casual evenings, pants, blouses or casual dresses for women; open-neck shirts and slacks for men are appropriate. 
On informal evenings, women wear dresses or pantsuits; men wear jackets (tie optional). Appropriate formal wear for women is an evening gown or cocktail dress; men wear tuxedos, dinner jackets or dark suits. Tie is required.
On formal nights, guests may dine in La Terrazza and choose to dress informal. Same applies to Seishin and Stars on board Silver Spirit and Kaiseki and Silver Note on Muse. Dining at The Grill is optional casual all nights. Same applies to Spaccanapoli on Muse. Following dinner, guests may take advantage of public spaces, however, jacket is required.
On 7-day sailings or less, the formal night is per guest discretion. Meaning that while the ship will operate one formal night, appropriate formal evening wear is optional. A guideline for reference is below.
On sailings of 7 days or less, expect 1 formal night (dress optional).
On sailings of 8-9 days, expect 1 formal night.
On sailings of 10-14 days, expect 2 formal nights.
On sailings of 15 days and above, expect 3 formal nights.

Confirms my experience on Silversea. 

37 minutes ago, Daveywavey70 said:

Are they like Church's for poor people?

They seem similar to one of the Church's slippers, at around the same price point.  Except the Stubbies are more elegant, I think, and have a lot of different options for monograming on the top of the shoe.  Here's the Church slipper I am thinking of:

Church's Limos 4 f 64 Daino Leather Grecian Slipper Blue

1 hour ago, cruiseej said:

The “dress code” for expedition cruises is detailed in the Set Sail Guide for Silversea Expeditions:

Evening attire is casual with the exception of the Captain’s Welcome Aboard and Farewell Dinners, which are informal. On casual evenings, open-neck shirts, trousers and casual wear are appropriate. On the two informal evenings, women usually wear dresses or trouser suits; men wear jackets (tie optional).

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Rothko1 said:

They seem similar to one of the Church's slippers, at around the same price point.  Except the Stubbies are more elegant, I think, and have a lot of different options for monograming on the top of the shoe.  Here's the Church slipper I am thinking of:

Church's Limos 4 f 64 Daino Leather Grecian Slipper Blue

Good grief no, they are awful. I was thinking more along those lines. There are,of course, always Loubies too. 

IMG_0688.webp

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Rothko1 said:

No.  The thing here is to wear Stubbs & Wooten dress slippers with the tuxedo, without socks.  "Stubbies" are very chic here, and rather expensive - around $600 or so for a pair.  

So  STUBBIES  in Australia are popular too   but ours looks like this =

image.jpeg.9e4c425f10673d1ba1d2b7444ad7a536.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

55 minutes ago, Mark_K said:

On the two informal evenings, women usually wear dresses or trouser suits; men wear jackets

This is another example of Silversea using imprecise language. The sentence starts with "women usually wear…" — which sounds like a suggestion rather than an edict. So for men, do they "usually wear jackets" or is it "jackets are required"? Why not say one or other other? And does that mean men must wear jackets even if dining outdoors at The Grill, which is casual on all other ships on all nights?

If they just wrote it clearly and unambiguously, there wouldn't be so much chatter offering personal interpretations of what they mean or what they say.

Meanwhile, my point to people who read and post on threads about dress code is that very little is completely clear. You can say "in our experience, most people…" or "for us, we like to wear…", but there are very few absolutes you can state from what Silversea says on their website.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Daveywavey70 said:

So would you recommend this look for a Celebrity cruise around New Zealand Rojaan?

116002218_10163943653070577_5262257440131137197_n.jpg

That looks about 1960s  -  so perfect  for  NZ  Daveywavey  !!   🙃

• Haha 3

46 minutes ago, cruiseej said:

This is another example of Silversea using imprecise language. The sentence starts with "women usually wear…" — which sounds like a suggestion rather than an edict. So for men, do they "usually wear jackets" or is it "jackets are required"? Why not say one or other other? And does that mean men must wear jackets even if dining outdoors at The Grill, which is casual on all other ships on all nights?

If they just wrote it clearly and unambiguously, there wouldn't be so much chatter offering personal interpretations of what they mean or what they say.

Meanwhile, my point to people who read and post on threads about dress code is that very little is completely clear. You can say "in our experience, most people…" or "for us, we like to wear…", but there are very few absolutes you can state from what Silversea says on their website.

I was just mentioning that there actually is a different “code” for expeditions, which you said there wasn’t.

But aside from that no male, nor any company, wants to get too precise over what women may wear in any social situation. It’s a losing proposition all the way around. The best bet, unless it’s egregious, is to just let it go.

• Haha 1