How strict is the dress code onboard?

RonWL

3 minutes ago, Tothesunset said:

And to cap it all I've even seen men in white  dinner jackets (tuxedos) outside the tropics! Now that really is the end of days. 

Then I saw when the Lamb broke one of the seven seals, and I heard one of the four living creatures saying as with a voice of thunder, "Come." I looked, and behold, a white dinner jacket, and he who sat in it had a bow; and a crown was given to him, and he went out conquering and to conquer.

— Revelation 6:1–2

• Haha 2

27 minutes ago, Tothesunset said:

And to cap it all I've even seen men in white  dinner jackets (tuxedos) outside the tropics! Now that really is the end of days. 

I thought the white dinner jacket was also acceptable between Easter and end of summer in the Northern hemisphere…not sure of the rules in the Southern.

7 minutes ago, Gourmet Gal said:

I thought the white dinner jacket was also acceptable between Easter and end of summer in the Northern hemisphere…not sure of the rules in the Southern.

Here's a very good explanation of the (off) white dinner jacket...

https://www.gentlemansgazette.com/tuxedo-black-tie-guide/classic/off-white-dinner-jacket/

2 minutes ago, no1talks said:

Here's a very good explanation of the (off) white dinner jacket...

https://www.gentlemansgazette.com/tuxedo-black-tie-guide/classic/off-white-dinner-jacket/

The Black Tie Guide is an excellent resource.

I've never seen the reverse warm weather combo.  That would be quite the spiffy look to pull off.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Rothko1 said:

The Black Tie Guide is an excellent resource.

I've never seen the reverse warm weather combo.  That would be quite the spiffy look to pull off.

I wear this for dinners on White Nights, but my double-breasted tux jacket has satin faced buttons and not the metallic naval buttons described in the guide.

After dinner, I leave the jacket in our room and switch to white shoes for the remainder of the White Night.

42 minutes ago, Gourmet Gal said:

Or if you are a waiter at Cipriani

• Haha 1

Just another observation that is a sign of the times perhaps: Kiwi have stopped making shoe polish. I know! 

While I don't use Kiwi, preferring shoe cream, brush, duster and elbow grease, it's sad that so few people either don't polish their shoes, don't own polishable shoes, or both. 

Am I the only one left who polishes shoes each time they've been worn? 

6 minutes ago, Tothesunset said:

Just another observation that is a sign of the times perhaps: Kiwi have stopped making shoe polish. I know! 

While I don't use Kiwi, preferring shoe cream, brush, duster and elbow grease, it's sad that so few people either don't polish their shoes, don't own polishable shoes, or both. 

Am I the only one left who polishes shoes each time they've been worn? 

No,there is another who does the same.

He's off this week so I have had a go myself.

My wife said that it won't come out of the towels and she's off to Harrods to get new ones.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Tothesunset said:

Kiwi have stopped making shoe polish.

I believe SC Johnson is no longer distributing Kiwi to the UK, but still making the products for sale elsewhere.

I've not looked for it here (US) for years, because I prefer other brands.

4 minutes ago, no1talks said:

I believe SC Johnson is no longer distributing Kiwi to the UK, but still making the products for sale elsewhere.

Thanks. Long way for me to go for a tin of polish, though 😄

I use Herring's shoe cream. It leaves a lovely finish. 

Kiwi, as UK ex-military will attest, is the product of choice for "bulling" shoes DMS and boots DMS. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tothesunset said:

But not for an event starting before 6pm, right? 😁

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Tothesunset said:

I have.  But they always had a name tag that said "maitre d' "  🤣

• Like 1

I Once witnessed a very confused Japanese gentleman on the steps of the River Restaurant at the Savoy. He turned up for lunch in full white tie and seemed flummoxed that he was the only one wearing it. He'd obviously done some research but not quite enough. 

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, Rothko1 said:

At least for me, suits have always been associated with business.  I would never wear a suit to a social event.  It's either black tie, or blazers and tie (or no tie).  

So I would never pack a suit to wear on a cruise ship.

Then maybe you shouldn't be booking on Silversea, since formal nights list suits as an option, but not blazer.  To us, a suit is a better option than a tuxedo, which we would not bother bringing on a cruise since we would only rent a tuxedo for a special event at home. The need for a tuxedo otherwise is so rare that a different size would usually be needed, and on a cruise, a much larger size might be needed by the end of a long cruise. The suit jacket can always be left unbuttoned by the end of the cruise, and would be less noticeable than an unbuttoned tuxedo jacket.

20 minutes ago, SWFLAOK said:

Then maybe you shouldn't be booking on Silversea, since formal nights list suits as an option, but not blazer.  To us, a suit is a better option than a tuxedo, which we would not bother bringing on a cruise since we would only rent a tuxedo for a special event at home. The need for a tuxedo otherwise is so rare that a different size would usually be needed, and on a cruise, a much larger size might be needed by the end of a long cruise. The suit jacket can always be left unbuttoned by the end of the cruise, and would be less noticeable than an unbuttoned tuxedo jacket.

Of course he should cruise ss. All he has to do is avoid Atlantide on formal nights. He does not need a suit or a tie. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Rothko1 said:

At least for me, suits have always been associated with business.  I would never wear a suit to a social event.  It's either black tie, or blazers and tie (or no tie).  

So I would never pack a suit to wear on a cruise ship.

We agree. You don’t need anything more than a sport jacket on ss as long as you don’t dine in Atlantide on formal nights. 

we do black tie on Cunard because we want to. It’s the norm. Totally different vibe