How strict is the dress code onboard?

RonWL

On 7/7/2023 at 9:44 PM, canderson said:

Old, OLD argument.  Let me try to put it to bed one last time.

To answer your question, no, not much, but it does show your disrespect for the line's business model, and in some fashion, those who might have chosen the line because of it.

Let's assume for just a moment that it is Silversea's intent to attempt to differentiate their product from others by, among other things, continuing to cater to those who still enjoy this style of dining, and hope to capture that segment of the cruising public by doing so.  Who are you to object? 

But that is NOT silversea’s business model. You are free to dine in other venues without a tie. Silversea is making that clear 

2 hours ago, bitob said:

But that is NOT silversea’s business model. You are free to dine in other venues without a tie. Silversea is making that clear 

We seem to be talking at crossed purposes.  The challenge in the post to which I responded didn't address the casual venues where wearing a tie has no relevance to the discussion as far as I could tell.  I certainly never suggested anyone need wear one where unnecessary. 

???

Edited by canderson
typoz

6 hours ago, RetiredandTravel said:

"The next generation aren't going to wear them on vacation and SS will adjust."

To hear the next generation talk of hoped-for travel, I expect the cruise industry will shrink considerably. SS will have to find a way to reinvent itself as a less costly proposition, to compete for the discretionary income of the next generation.

I Work 334 days a year to enjoy my month off. I couldn’t give a bugger what the programme says I’m never going to be the least dressed person in the room. I,For one, embrace the chance.to get my glad rags on. Grumble and gripe all you like but if you want to wear shorts to dinner then chuck £499 in P&os direction for a weeks all inclusive but don’t complain when you get glassed at the bar. You takes your chances. 

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, canderson said:

We seem to be talking at crossed purposes.  The challenge in the post to which I responded didn't address the casual venues where wearing a tie has no relevance to the discussion as far as I could tell.  I certainly never suggested anyone need wear one where unnecessary. 

???

But it can reward you if you do dress up when not called for. Some of the crew really do like it. This is what happened to me on the Silver Explorer on the night of the Captain's farewell. Note the jacket and tie.

ss458.JPG.9531d84493b0b38218cdc078e0cc773e.JPG

Some may recognise Karolina a polar bear guard AKA the Chick with a Gun.

• Like 5

9 hours ago, Gourmet Gal said:

SS faces the reality that many of the old guard are just that…sorry to say, old and will not be cruising indefinitely.  The next generations are simply not wedded to the concept that luxury means dressed to the nines.  

The World is always evolving 

The issue of dress codes on cruise ships applies across most (all?) cruise lines and is largely territorial.

In general the American passengers do not want to be told what to wear, when and where and prefer to "dress down" whereas, again in general, the European passengers prefer to "dress up".

This becomes more apparent when an American cruise line sails out of Europe as opposed to sailing out of the US - and actually comes as a surprise to many American passengers.

• Like 1

There is a live thread from the Dawn.

Apparently there are few ties on board and men are removing their jackets.

Don't shoot the messenger.

Might have to do with the new "formal optional"

I  will know more when I board Moon in a few days

3 hours ago, labrasett said:

I dont even own 21 (or 22) dresses and only two of those are posh (evening) dresses.

I don't own any dresses. I am not a "dress" gal. Slacks are my clothing of choice and I have never had an issue. Formal nights? Dressy slacks are always acceptable.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Mr Luxury said:

The problem comes when you have to wear medals and sashes.

Very strict rules apply.

Indeed.  Different for all three styles of dress.  Where's Bates when you need him?

No white tie attire in my closet, so need to worry over the medals there.  If I'm ever invited to a State dinner, a bespoke tailor might be the only choice in this part of the world unless one is willing to search for something 'vintage', but finding the bits and pieces to go along with it would be near impossible.  The words "bibbed shirt" would draw nothing but blank faces in any clothier in Colorado (though I do own one, but with a contemporary collar - so I'd be out of luck there, too). 

Is Darcy still doing business in the UK, I wonder? 

16 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Exactly.   But I am being told that not fully complying with the Silversea dress code is disrespectful to other passengers and the cruise line.  

The Silversea dress code is much stricter than people here admit:  "Appropriate formal wear for women is an evening gown or cocktail dress; men wear tuxedos, dinner jackets or dark suits. Tie is required... Following dinner, guests may take advantage of public spaces, however, jacket is required."  Nothing here about sport coat on formal night, even if dark color.  And having a requirement that goes beyond the dining room is definitely old fashioned.  But I must be "respectful."

Here on Dawn, it most definitely is not that, the formal night is now officially in the chronicles and on the app “formal optional”. It does not require a tie and on that night most were in jackets but not all, especially before dinner when many were casual taking advantage of the great light evenings as we sailed out on the fjords. Talking to Bruno the CD he says ‘formal optional’ is the new official name on these 7 day cruises.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, canderson said:

Indeed.  Different for all three styles of dress.  Where's Bates when you need him?

No white tie attire in my closet, so need to worry over the medals there.  If I'm ever invited to a State dinner, a bespoke tailor might be the only choice in this part of the world unless one is willing to search for something 'vintage', but finding the bits and pieces to go along with it would be near impossible.  The words "bibbed shirt" would draw nothing but blank faces in any clothier in Colorado (though I do own one, but with a contemporary collar - so I'd be out of luck there, too). 

Is Darcy still doing business in the UK, I wonder? 

Yes

Darcy clothing dot com

I got rid of Bates as I couldn't cope with his falling over and now he and Mrs Bates have twelve children.

Six boys with a limp and six girls who want to be pregnant.

24 minutes ago, Mr Luxury said:

I got rid of Bates as I couldn't cope with his falling over and now he and Mrs Bates have twelve children.

Six boys with a limp and six girls who want to be pregnant.

Can't beat genetics, I guess!

2 hours ago, calm down dear said:

‘formal optional’ is the new official name on these 7 day cruises.

I suspect that may be the key phrase "7 day cruises" - the question is what is the definition on cruises greater than 7 days?

• Like 1