How strict is the dress code onboard?

RonWL

1 minute ago, RonWL said:

Of course they do have that right.  But the smart business decision is to listen to the customer.  Sounds like Silversea is doing just that by making formal nights "optional" on some (if not all) cruises.

And which customers should they listen to?  Those who have faithfully sailed with them?  Or new passengers used to other cruise lines?  Which is the smarter business decision? 

3 minutes ago, mysty said:

And which customers should they listen to?  Those who have faithfully sailed with them?  Or new passengers used to other cruise lines?  Which is the smarter business decision? 

Loyal clientele would be the thing but keep eyes and ears open to all

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, mysty said:

That's the rub - and why some businesses are more profitable than others - why some profit and others fail.  I am one of those "new to Silversea" passengers.  I am looking forward to my 11-day Silver Shadow cruise next month.  If the dress code were overly strict, I would abide by it, but I would never come back.  I am very happy to learn that the dress code, while quite a bit more strict than I am accustomed to, has quite a bit of flexibility and it seems to be getting more so with "formal optional."

Edited by RonWL
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, RonWL said:

Sounds like Bob Dylan is still right - "the times they are a-changin'."  Just like the fixed tables and times for dinner (of which I originally lamented the loss).  I used to wear my tuxedo two or three times a year.  Haven't worn it for at least a decade now.  Even work attire has become more casual at many places of business.  Wonder who was the last one to wear a powdered wig?  Or a top-hat?

I'll bring a dark blazer and pants and will dine at La Terrazza anyway (on at least one of the two formal nights).

You can dine anywhere in that attire plus tie on “formal” nights.

8 minutes ago, RonWL said:

That's the rub - and why some businesses are more profitable than others - why some profit and others fail.

SS faces the reality that many of the old guard are just that…sorry to say, old and will not be cruising indefinitely.  The next generations are simply not wedded to the concept that luxury means dressed to the nines.  

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Gourmet Gal said:

The next generations are simply not wedded to the concept that luxury means dressed to the nines.

And many of us "old folks" agree 😉.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, RetiredandTravel said:

It may be a stretch to equate people who don't want to wear a tie to people wearing baseball hats & sweatshirts. 

It's a reflection of what has already occurred on other lines (e.g. Celebrity), even in their venue on par with La Dame.  Remember my note that I'd be sad to see another line go "least common denominator".  I'll grant there's a bit of sophistry employed with that 'slippery slope' argument, but we've watched it play out in exactly that way on a line we used to sail with often.  I really believe that there's enough diversity in cruise 'style' preferences that every line doesn't have to try to be all things to all people.  Cunard continues to do well, but it's nice to have a smaller ship alternative for other itineraries.  A line with smaller ships that finds middle ground between Cunard and the mass market lines suits us well, and I would think suits enough others to continue to make a good business of it.

• Like 3

Like any business, SS must keep the current customer base happy but also appeal to new customers -- or they won't survive.  Remember the old Girl Scout song:  Make new friends but keep the old.  One is silver and the other gold.

If the "dress up" crowd becomes annoyed at easing of the dress code, what line will they go to?  Not manny that are stricter than SS.   If the new customers don't like SS's dress code, there are lots of other options.  Also, one can always dress up.  You can wear a tux on casual night if that's your thing. 

When I started cruising 40 years ago, even mainstream lines had formal nights and almost everyone wore  true formal. However, in those days, most white collar workers wore suits to work every day.  The "world" has changed wrt attire -- even more so after COVID.  Recognizing that fact is being smart from a business perspective.  Trying to ensure loyal customers aren't annoyed has to be part of the strategy.

BTW, I'm NOT one who wants to see shorts and baseball caps at dinner.  My idea of "perfect" is a collared shirt and pressed slacks or nice jeans for men and slacks/skirts with blouse for women.  With a couple of "formal" nights where men should wear jackets and women dressier outfits.  I thought the old Crystal had it done pat.  But that's just me -- I understand and respect that YMMV.

Edited by ggo85
I’m older than I like to think.
  • Like 1

IMG_20230618_141701.thumb.jpg.3cc93c6862be05293add5316843c2bf6.jpgIMG_20221106_225133.thumb.jpg.d978387af73001982b8e3e4a4000979e.jpgIMG_20221106_225133.thumb.jpg.d978387af73001982b8e3e4a4000979e.jpgIMG_20221106_225055.thumb.jpg.2d68809bca96b69532368ee2b13abb42.jpgI can't understand why so many people going on a silversea cruise question the dress code !! You dress how you feel you feel comfortable.. for my husband & I we enjoy dressing for dinner & to my husband there is no such thing as a casual evening so please don't try to bring it down... Yes dress how you want to but if others still want to keep the traditional dress code of silversea then let us ... We can do casual anytime,but dinner on silversea we like to dress up & I know some of you out there have questioned does it make for a better experience well for us yes but to others maybe not..I have posted several times on this subject & I can't believe its still being questioned... Few photos of dear husband and I ( have posted several times) ...we can do dress code & causal..

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, Lvshack said:

IMG_20230618_141701.thumb.jpg.3cc93c6862be05293add5316843c2bf6.jpgIMG_20221106_225133.thumb.jpg.d978387af73001982b8e3e4a4000979e.jpgIMG_20221106_225133.thumb.jpg.d978387af73001982b8e3e4a4000979e.jpgIMG_20221106_225055.thumb.jpg.2d68809bca96b69532368ee2b13abb42.jpgI can't understand why so many people going on a silversea cruise question the dress code !! You dress how you feel you feel comfortable.. for my husband & I we enjoy dressing for dinner & to my husband there is no such thing as a casual evening so please don't try to bring it down... Yes dress how you want to but if others still want to keep the traditional dress code of silversea then let us ... We can do casual anytime,but dinner on silversea we like to dress up & I know some of you out there have questioned does it make for a better experience well for us yes but to others maybe not..I have posted several times on this subject & I can't believe its still being questioned... Few photos of dear husband and I ( have posted several times) ...we can do dress code & causal..

Love the photos!  No one is telling anyone they cannot dress up.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Lvshack said:

but if others still want to keep the traditional dress code of silversea then let us

By all means.  I don't think anyone is saying you shouldn't be able to wear formal attire if you want to do so - no matter what.  "Whatever floats your boat."  I was pleased to learn that the dress code isn't forced on us everywhere (same issue in reverse).

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Gourmet Gal said:

No one is telling anyone they cannot dress up.  

Exactly.   But I am being told that not fully complying with the Silversea dress code is disrespectful to other passengers and the cruise line.  

The Silversea dress code is much stricter than people here admit:  "Appropriate formal wear for women is an evening gown or cocktail dress; men wear tuxedos, dinner jackets or dark suits. Tie is required... Following dinner, guests may take advantage of public spaces, however, jacket is required."  Nothing here about sport coat on formal night, even if dark color.  And having a requirement that goes beyond the dining room is definitely old fashioned.  But I must be "respectful."

3 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Exactly.   But I am being told that not fully complying with the Silversea dress code is disrespectful to other passengers and the cruise line.  

The Silversea dress code is much stricter than people here admit:  "Appropriate formal wear for women is an evening gown or cocktail dress; men wear tuxedos, dinner jackets or dark suits. Tie is required... Following dinner, guests may take advantage of public spaces, however, jacket is required."  Nothing here about sport coat on formal night, even if dark color.  And having a requirement that goes beyond the dining room is definitely old fashioned.  But I must be "respectful."

4 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

You’re perfectly free to be respectful.  

• Like 1