How strict is the dress code onboard?

RonWL

Maybe it’s just me, but I’m not concerned with anyone else. In fact, I’m with my family and rarely pay attention to others, and would actually prefer to drive my imaginary Ferrari on  a road filled with Hondas, Buicks and mini vans. 😜

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, gcornell said:

Maybe it’s just me, but I’m not concerned with anyone else. In fact, I’m with my family and rarely pay attention to others, and would actually prefer to drive my imaginary Ferrari on  a road filled with Hondas, Buicks and mini vans. 😜

As long as there aren't Volvos driven by old men wearing hats [= s-l-o-w-l-y !!!]

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, SLSD said:

I always enjoy your commentary on the itineraries you choose.  May I ask which upcoming Silversea classic cruise you have chosen?  

Thank you SLSD.  It's the Spirit, Athens-Athens, 18 October.  I'm there mainly for the overnighter to Jerusalem.

• Like 1

On 7/7/2023 at 11:18 PM, dusababy said:

Why is it so hard to question and comply with a long established, reasonable dress code that elevates ladies and gentlemen for an evening or two of an adult dining experience ??

Because a lot of people give up their formal attire when they retire.   Suits for elderly gentlemen are usually only worn for funerals, if at all!   Ladies can look lovely in smart tops and smart (maybe floaty) trousers and men can wear a decent pair of trousers and a jacket and tie and be perfectly acceptably well dressed.   Many people these days are choosing to travel without hold baggage but they can still be smart even without a tux.  The secret is to look as if you have made an effort to dress up even if not as far "up" as the full evening wear.

• Like 5

13 hours ago, ggo85 said:

My DH wore a sport coat, dress slacks and a tie for formal night.  No one said a thing.  In my (albeit limited) experience of 2 SS cruises, I would estimate for men:  20% wear formal, 20% wear coat and tie, and the remainder wear a dark suit.

For women, 5% wear long, 50% wear true cocktail (short formal), 35% wear very nice dresses or dressy slacks with silk or sequined top, and the remainder wear . . . not much more than dressy casual.  I suspected that the last group consisted of women who didn't own a more formal dress and didn't want to buy one for the cruise.  it was clear they'd made an attempt to look nice (never saw jeans, etc.) but dressing up just wasn't their thing.  Just my perception -- I could well be wrong.

Thank you.  Exactly the information I was looking for.  I'll probably go with the suit.

My $0.02 on why some don’t love the SS dress code. My DH doesn’t own a tux.  He had one years ago, but hadn’t worn it for more than 20 years so got rid of it. He has quite a few gorgeous suits- also from 15-20 years ago, but most have shrunk so no longer fit. 😀. His current job doesn’t require a suit; a coat and tie work for almost every “formal” social engagement where we live, so no need to buy a new one.  Finally, he’s a minimalist packer. 

He doesn’t want to buy a tux or suit just for a cruise.  He doesn’t want to pack a bunch of extra clothes for 1-2 nights.  So he goes with the dark blazer and dark grey slacks, both of which he can also wear on informal nights.  And a couple of ties. 

Women have more flexibility and many cocktail dresses aren’t bulky or heavy to pack. But I also hate bringing something to wear just once - so I wear the same dress on both formal nights!

I fully understand and appreciate that many, including retirees, love the opportunity to dress up.  Go for it!  But don’t look askance at those who see things differently and enjoy SS for its many other benefits.  

• Like 6

20 minutes ago, ggo85 said:

My $0.02 on why some don’t love the SS dress code. My DH doesn’t own a tux.  He had one years ago, but hadn’t worn it for more than 20 years so got rid of it. He has quite a few gorgeous suits- also from 15-20 years ago, but most have shrunk so no longer fit. 😀. His current job doesn’t require a suit; a coat and tie work for almost every “formal” social engagement where we live, so no need to buy a new one.  Finally, he’s a minimalist packer. 

He doesn’t want to buy a tux or suit just for a cruise.  He doesn’t want to pack a bunch of extra clothes for 1-2 nights.  So he goes with the dark blazer and dark grey slacks, both of which he can also wear on informal nights.  And a couple of ties. 

Women have more flexibility and many cocktail dresses aren’t bulky or heavy to pack. But I also hate bringing something to wear just once - so I wear the same dress on both formal nights!

I fully understand and appreciate that many, including retirees, love the opportunity to dress up.  Go for it!  But don’t look askance at those who see things differently and enjoy SS for its many other benefits.  

The dark blazer and charcoal slacks is exactly what my DH prefers and we’ve dined in every venue on formal night without him feeling underdressed compared to fellow diners.  He actually does have an up-to-date tux and wears it 2-3 times a year but thinks it’s no vacation to have to lug it onto a cruise ship.  Even at so-called formal events (charity and performing arts galas) we’ve noticed fewer actual tuxes and more sharp suits.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, labrasett said:

Because a lot of people give up their formal attire when they retire.   Suits for elderly gentlemen are usually only worn for funerals, if at all!   Ladies can look lovely in smart tops and smart (maybe floaty) trousers and men can wear a decent pair of trousers and a jacket and tie and be perfectly acceptably well dressed.   Many people these days are choosing to travel without hold baggage but they can still be smart even without a tux.  The secret is to look as if you have made an effort to dress up even if not as far "up" as the full evening wear.

I am not one of those that you describe here.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, labrasett said:

I never HAD formal attire. I haven't owned a suit since my first job interview in 1980. In my profession (teaching) jeans were acceptable attire. I usually went the extra mile and wore a sports coat, that I removed once I got warmed up.

Look- all you have to do is bring a sports coat and a tie. I went the extra mile again and bought a pair of black travel slacks, and got the old black shoes out of storage. This kept the packing down to the point where I could go carry-on only. For novelty value I brought (and wore) a tie. Haven't worn a tie in ages.

I don't recall actually seeing ANY guests in tuxedos. The only tuxedos I saw were on butlers. I've never wanted to look like a butler.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

5 hours ago, labrasett said:

I am another who does fit that profile.

2 hours ago, ggo85 said:

so I wear the same dress on both formal nights!

My wife would not wear the same dress more than once on a non formal night so there is no way that if I value my life (or other parts of my anatomy) that I would suggest she wears the same dress more than once on a formal night.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, bitob said:

I will repeat

You did not need a dark suit, a tux or even a tie to sail on Silversea.

They intentionally provide alternative options.

You do need a dark suit and especially a tie to enjoy the 'run of the ship' that you paid for on formal nights.  Telling me to go to my room sounds like punishment, not an alternative.

• Like 1

Just now, Host Jazzbeau said:

You do need a dark suit and especially a tie to enjoy the 'run of the ship' that you paid for on formal nights.  Telling me to go to my room sounds like punishment, not an alternative.

You do not need a tie or dark suit to enjoy the run of the ship on formal nights.  I do not know where you get that idea. You only need a tie in Atlantide (no dark suit required).  We have been on 2 cruises on Silver Moon and that was the policy and practice.

We do not go to our room nor do we suggest anyone do so.  We eat in Hot Rocks and La Terrazza on formal nights and then enjoy the ship.  We are leaving Tuesday for our third cruise on the Moon and we made our formal night dining reservations in those venues.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, david63 said:

I am another who does fit that profile.

My wife would not wear the same dress more than once on a non formal night so there is no way that if I value my life (or other parts of my anatomy) that I would suggest she wears the same dress more than once on a formal night.

My wife will have a different dress for every evening.

Twenty one nights = twenty one dresses

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Mr Luxury said:

I am not one of those that you describe here.

58 minutes ago, Mr Luxury said:

But of course, Mr. L. We would expect no less.  And all in your Louis Vuitton luggage, I imagine.

• Haha 1

On 7/7/2023 at 9:44 PM, canderson said:

Old, OLD argument.  Let me try to put it to bed one last time.

To answer your question, no, not much, but it does show your disrespect for the line's business model, and in some fashion, those who might have chosen the line because of it.

Let's assume for just a moment that it is Silversea's intent to attempt to differentiate their product from others by, among other things, continuing to cater to those who still enjoy this style of dining, and hope to capture that segment of the cruising public by doing so.  Who are you to object? 

Wow!  Some people really get worked up over the dress code.  Funny, it seems to get more attention on CC than the ship, the cuisine, the service, the itineraries, the amenities, the entertainment.  Those are some of the things I care about and the things that influence my choice of a cruise line.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, lincslady said:

But of course, Mr. L. We would expect no less.  And all in your Louis Vuitton luggage, I imagine.

That and Rimowa 

Depends on where we are.

Brings and Riley also we find to be excellent

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

My DH has never worn even a suit on SS - the dressiest is dark blazer and slacks and we’ve dined in every venue on formal nights.   So full “run of the ship” without suit or tux.  SS dress code seems to be aspirational on the part of the company.  

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Gourmet Gal said:

My DH has never worn even a suit on SS - the dressiest is dark blazer and slacks and we’ve dined in every venue on formal nights.   So full “run of the ship” without suit or tux.  SS dress code seems to be aspirational on the part of the company.  

Absolutely agree. We are currently on Dawn and a jacket is all that is required, even “formal” is now officially designated “formal optional” onboard and I wish people would stop stressing- if you want to wear a tux on any night you can, but if you really don’t need to and you will not look out of place. I’ve worn dark jeans, a shirt and blazer every night and looked perfectly smart.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, calm down dear said:

“formal” is now officially designated “formal optional”

Sounds like Bob Dylan is still right - "the times they are a-changin'."  Just like the fixed tables and times for dinner (of which I originally lamented the loss).  I used to wear my tuxedo two or three times a year.  Haven't worn it for at least a decade now.  Even work attire has become more casual at many places of business.  Wonder who was the last one to wear a powdered wig?  Or a top-hat?

I'll bring a dark blazer and pants and will dine at La Terrazza anyway (on at least one of the two formal nights).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LAexNY said:

Wow!  Some people really get worked up over the dress code. 

More like we get 'worked up' over the fact that some folks think their idea of a vacation is what matters, no matter the preferences of the line or customers who choose that line over others.  It's not just a dress code issue, either, though that's one of the more visible ways that attitude is often reflected in practice on some lines, no matter the line's preferences. 

In this and other ways, I'd be sad if yet another cruise line goes the way of the "least common denominator", leaving yet less choices for the varied tastes of the cruising public.  We find often people posting at CC who don't even believe a single venue aboard ship should ever be reserved for 'better attire' dining if it means their group has to give up their matching baseball hats and sweatshirts for one evening.

I'd be interested to hear a more direct reply to my belief that the line has every right to attempt to differentiate their product by whatever means they choose to capture whatever part of the cruising market they choose, and that one ought to respect that choice when booking with them.

Edited by canderson
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, Mr Luxury said:

Are you sure that is correct?

Twenty one nights = twenty two dresses (must have a spare - just in case)

• Haha 5

10 minutes ago, canderson said:

I'd be interested to hear a more direct reply to my belief that the line has every right to attempt to differentiate their product by whatever means they choose to capture whatever part of the cruising market they choose, and that one ought to respect that choice when booking with them.

Of course they do have that right.  But the smart business decision is to listen to the customer.  Sounds like Silversea is doing just that by making formal nights "optional" on some (if not all) cruises.

7 minutes ago, canderson said:

More like we get 'worked up' over the fact that some folks think their idea of a vacation is what matters, no matter the preferences of the line or customers who choose that line over others.  It's not just a dress code issue, either, though that's one of the more visible ways that attitude is often reflected in practice on some lines, no matter the line's preferences. 

In this and other ways, I'd be sad if yet another cruise line goes the way of the "least common denominator", leaving yet less choices for the varied tastes of the cruising public.  We find often people posting at CC who don't even believe a single venue aboard ship should ever be reserved for 'better attire' dining if it means their group has to give up their matching baseball hats and sweatshirts for one evening.

Your voice of reason is not being heard.   It's like you're screaming into the void.   It would be difficult for some folks to reply to your belief without acknowledging that their preference over-rides the right of cruise lines to differentiate their product.  

• Like 1

It may be a stretch to equate people who don't want to wear a tie to people wearing baseball hats & sweatshirts.  

Correct RonWL on the Dylan quote, I have no problem with the suit (&tie), spent my entire professional life in one.   The next generation aren't going to wear them on vacation and SS will adjust.

• Like 2