How strict is the dress code onboard?

RonWL

1 hour ago, Mark_K said:

I was just mentioning that there actually is a different “code” for expeditions, which you said there wasn’t.

It's not in the section of the website on the dress code, er, clothing suggestions. 😉 After you mentioned it, I did find the PDF file you referenced by Googling it, but I'm not sure where it's linked from the Silversea website, nor if it would be apparent to new cruisers to look there for dress code information. In any case, I'm not looking to quibble, only to point out that there is legitimate confusion about dress requirements because Silversea misses the opportunity to state a clear dress code if they want their passengers to respect their intentions.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, RonWL said:

It is hyperlinked in my post....

I see that now; I thought that was just an underlined heading. In any case, I was replying to Mark's post which referenced the Setting Sail Guide document. In any case, I don't think either the Packing Your Cruise Luggage section of the website I referenced or the Setting Sail Guide PDF you linked jumps out to passengers as the place to look for a dress code. Why don't they put a "Dress Code" or "Attire Onboard" section under the main "Onboard" menu item on the website? 

Strangely, there are differences in wording between these two versions of the "Clothing Suggestions". As noted previously, the differences in attire suggestions on expedition ships is missing from what's on the main website. Another difference: in the PDF document for classic ships, it says "Silversea operates an on board dress code after 6 pm." That sentence does not appear on the web page, nor on the PDF for expedition ships. There are multiple grammatical mistakes in the PDF; do they have anyone who proofreads what they put out?

Anyway, I've gotten way into the weeds again, and I just wanted to come back to my original point that the specifics of Silversea's "Clothing Suggestions" are not completely clear, and are not something new customers may even find — so it's entirely understandable why there are ever-recurring questions about the onboard dress standards. Those who are annoyed by the questions and discussions should just skip past them; those who answer the questioners should be mindful that it's not as straightforward as we might think it is (or should be). Okay, I'm done. 😀

• Like 2

I believe that Silversea's "dress code" or "clothing suggestions" is vague on purpose - it has always been this way.  It enables staff on board ship to have flexibility to enact or enforce as the situation dictates.  Why, I don't know. 

11 minutes ago, Rothko1 said:

I think on some lines, that is the current dress code.

We've been on many different lines, and this is the first time I even asked the question about dress codes.  It was never a concern before (at least not for the last 10 years or so).  But this will be our first Silversea cruise, and I can already see "things are different."

17 minutes ago, RonWL said:

We've been on many different lines, and this is the first time I even asked the question about dress codes.  It was never a concern before (at least not for the last 10 years or so).  But this will be our first Silversea cruise, and I can already see "things are different."

If you think Silversea is bad, wait till you try Cunard.

3 minutes ago, Rothko1 said:

If you think Silversea is bad, wait till you try Cunard.

Haven't been on Silversea yet - and I doubt that I'll find it "bad."  Went on Cunard years ago and I can easily imagine it hasn't changed much.

53 minutes ago, Daveywavey70 said:

I Hadn't but I just looked them up. Is it some sort of euphanism for pineapple players?

Not a euphemism... it's the name of the 'brand' that does these charters.  Far more than pineapples - these are clothing optional (in many ship areas) cruises, complete with designated "Play Areas" (???)  We've been docked next to RCL ships twice where the folks on their balconies were being a bit less discreet than the charter rules require!

Just now, canderson said:

Not a euphemism... it's the name of the 'brand' that does these charters.  Far more than pineapples - these are clothing optional (in many ship areas) cruises, complete with designated "Play Areas" (???)  We've been docked next to RCL ships twice where the folks on their balconies were being a bit less discreet than the charter rules require!

Oh my!

2 hours ago, Mr Luxury said:

It won't be long before the dress code on a ship will be

Come as you are 😀

Unfortunately I think on some SS ships this is already the case.   Last week to see men in a jacket after 6 pm was really good as so many were not and a lot of passengers seemed to think a body warmer was ok for a jacket 😩.     There were so many male passengers not even wearing a collared shirt or polo shirt, just wearing round neck

t-shirts and jeans.   Not how cruising used to be at all with SS and a bit of a shock to,us after how it was just a few years ago. 

I book with SS as I do like the dress code though after last week I now realise it’s very casual indeed.   There were still some very smart dressers though mainly it was so casual.    On formal evening probably no more than 25 men were wearing a tux.  
It’s such a shame for those who book with SS and love the dress code.  SS really need to decide whether to enforce wearing a jacket or even just a collared shirt after 6 pm or go for casual as it’s not working at the minute. 

• Like 1

Thanks for sharing, The first article certainly makes sense. Those in power don't need to wear a suit. It's the people on interviews, making court appearances, and otherwise trying to please other people, that are wearing suits. Makes you wonder if we are dressing up for ourselves or for others. It certainly feels like I'm doing it to appease those that want to dress up. I'm not complaining about the dress code but I wouldn't be brining a tie if it wasn't "suggested' in the cruise company's literature.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Tudorcruisers said:

Unfortunately I think on some SS ships this is already the case.   Last week to see men in a jacket after 6 pm was really good as so many were not and a lot of passengers seemed to think a body warmer was ok for a jacket 😩.     There were so many male passengers not even wearing a collared shirt or polo shirt, just wearing round neck

t-shirts and jeans.   Not how cruising used to be at all with SS and a bit of a shock to,us after how it was just a few years ago. 

I book with SS as I do like the dress code though after last week I now realise it’s very casual indeed.   There were still some very smart dressers though mainly it was so casual.    On formal evening probably no more than 25 men were wearing a tux.  
It’s such a shame for those who book with SS and love the dress code.  SS really need to decide whether to enforce wearing a jacket or even just a collared shirt after 6 pm or go for casual as it’s not working at the minute. 

Sad to read but standards have fallen off the cliff I'm afraid.

• Like 4

At least for me, suits have always been associated with business.  I would never wear a suit to a social event.  It's either black tie, or blazers and tie (or no tie).  

So I would never pack a suit to wear on a cruise ship.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Rothko1 said:

At least for me, suits have always been associated with business.  I would never wear a suit to a social event.  It's either black tie, or blazers and tie (or no tie).  

I always have a linen or seersucker suit with me if it is a warm weather trip.  

Edited by Mr Luxury
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, canderson said:

Good grief! probably best stay clear of the Hot tubs!

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Rothko1 said:

When we wore suits to work we called them the official business man's uniform. 70-85% of us wanted to get rid of them which seemed to happen fairly quickly.

I recall going to LA in the late 80s/early 90s, and we were the only people wearing suits.

6 minutes ago, TomBeckCruise said:

When we wore suits to work we called them the official business man's uniform. 70-85% of us wanted to get rid of them which seemed to happen fairly quickly.

I recall going to LA in the late 80s/early 90s, and we were the only people wearing suits.

In the old old days, people would wear a suit at their desk in their office.  Then the day came when you could take off the jacket while in your own office.  Then you didn't have to wear the jacket at all in the offices.  Then came casual Fridays.  Then casual Fridays became casual summers.  Then casual summers became casual all year round. Then came jeans on Fridays; casual the rest of the week. Suits only required when meeting with a client, going to another company, going to court, etc.  Then because of Zoom meetings/court appearances, etc., no one wears a suit; they just thrown on a jacket and tie for the Zoom call.

Is it any wonder that Brooks Brothers went into bankruptcy?

• Like 2