How strict is the dress code onboard?

RonWL

On 8/3/2023 at 4:04 AM, A Tucson Guy said:

I think you will find that a very small percentage of SS cruises actually post on Cruise Critic. After many cruises on SS, I have found most passengers are very nice people. As most of us know, one of the problems with the internet, social media and online posting, people will type things that they would never say to your face or on the phone. In my business world, I would always rather communicate in person or on the phone, but that is just me.

and often they are online just to push their agendas

• Like 1

As promised, here is my feedback from Silver Dawn, sailing Norwegian Fjords.  

Formal night was last night.  I ate in Atlantide but was out and about from 6:00pm, and went to the 9:45pm show after dinner. I did not see any inappropriate clothing anywhere.  Many men were in a tux or dinner suit.  There were also dark suits as well as blazers with slacks, shirt and tie.  Definitely no jeans or sweatshirts anywhere, much less in the dining room.  Women were in a variety of dresses and pants, from formal through cocktail dresses to smart blouses with slacks.  In all cases, no one seemed out of place.

At the show a couple sat next to me.  They had eaten at La Terrazza. Although not formal, they looked very smart in white slacks and button through shirts.

Overall impression is that the dress code is alive and well on this ship.

The show last night in the Venetian Room involved all six singers: the Voices of Silversea.  The show was opera based and absolutely fantastic.  Good costumes and excellent singing. I thoroughly enjoyed the show.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

20 minutes ago, Port Power said:

Formal night was last night.  I ate in Atlantide but was out and about from 6:00pm, and went to the 9:45pm show after dinner. I did not see any inappropriate clothing anywhere.  Many men were in a tux or dinner suit.  There were also dark suits as well as blazers with slacks, shirt and tie.  Definitely no jeans or sweatshirts anywhere, much less in the dining room.  Women were in a variety of dresses and pants, from formal through cocktail dresses to smart blouses with slacks.  In all cases, no one seemed out of place.

At the show a couple sat next to me.  They had eaten at La Terrazza. Although not formal, they looked very smart in white slacks and button through shirts.

The show last night in the Venetian Room involved all six singers: the Voices of Silversea.  The show was opera based and absolutely fantastic.  Good costumes and excellent singing. I thoroughly enjoyed the show.

Thanks for the update😀

15 hours ago, Port Power said:

Has to be a function of the Hotel Director.  Leadership was total lacking on the Moon thus the complete abandonment of the dress code.  Glad to hear that my experience is not reflective of the overall SS experience.

• Like 1

A new communication from Silversea re: dress code on the Silver Nova was posted on another site. 

Based on the valuable feedback and opinions of our guests, we have taken a significant step towards enhancing your experience with us by introducing this new guide on what to wear. Our dress code has been carefully crafted to strike a perfect balance between elegance and flexibility, ensuring your clientele feels at ease and ensuring we adhere to the elevated standards they expect from Silversea.

The dress code onboard Silver Nova is as follows:
Daytime Attire: Casual wear, similar to five-star resort sportswear, is suitable for daytime activities. Flat or low-heeled shoes are recommended when on deck. 

Evening Attire (Starting from 6 pm):

• Elegant Casual: On casual evenings, ladies may opt for trousers, blouses, skirts, or casual dresses, while gentlemen can wear open-collar shirts and slacks. A jacket is optional.
  • Formal Optional: For those who prefer more formal attire, ladies can choose an evening gown or cocktail dress, while gentlemen can opt for a tuxedo, dinner jacket, or dark suit with a tie. Alternatively, adhering to Elegant Casual dress code is welcomed but a jacket is still required for gentlemen in all indoor spaces. The number of formal evenings will vary, depending on the voyage length:

7 days or less: Elegant Casual nights throughout.
8-14 days: Expect 1 to 2 Formal Optional nights.
15 days or more: Enjoy 2 or more Formal Optional nights.
Edited by Dolcevita Diva
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Dolcevita Diva said:

A new communication from Silversea re: dress code on the Silver Nova was posted on another site. 

Based on the valuable feedback and opinions of our guests, we have taken a significant step towards enhancing your experience with us by introducing this new guide on what to wear. Our dress code has been carefully crafted to strike a perfect balance between elegance and flexibility, ensuring your clientele feels at ease and ensuring we adhere to the elevated standards they expect from Silversea.

Daytime Attire: Casual wear, similar to five-star resort sportswear, is suitable for daytime activities. Flat or low-heeled shoes are recommended when on deck. 

• Elegant Casual: On casual evenings, ladies may opt for trousers, blouses, skirts, or casual dresses, while gentlemen can wear open-collar shirts and slacks. A jacket is optional.
  • Formal Optional: For those who prefer more formal attire, ladies can choose an evening gown or cocktail dress, while gentlemen can opt for a tuxedo, dinner jacket, or dark suit with a tie. Alternatively, adhering to Elegant Casual dress code is welcomed but a jacket is still required for gentlemen in all indoor spaces. The number of formal evenings will vary, depending on the voyage length:

This would actually be a fairly reasonable approach. Where did this come from?

6 hours ago, rojaan19 said:

Hasn't this thread been done to death !    I am no longer looking at it 🤦‍♀️

Yes, I agree.  The standards have been discussed and confirmed, so time to move on.  Everyone will not be pleased all the time, so make sure we make our own choices and enjoy them.

1 hour ago, Dolcevita Diva said:

👏👏👏

16 minutes ago, tinaincc said:

This would actually be a fairly reasonable approach. Where did this come from?

from my endless complaints on Silver Moon for 21 days  LOLOL

from the long letter I wrote post cruise to corporate (to which I received answer)  LOLOL

This is exactly what I suggested

Here is small excerpt from my letter to corporate

The dress code was a joke.  Sweats and jeans on formal night?  Tee shirts?  I have been told the dress code is unenforceable.  Silversea needs to go to formal optional and with everything else being resort casual.  That will make everyone happy and that can be enforced.  You are being ignored!!

Edited by bitob
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, bitob said:

from my endless complaints on Silver Moon for 21 days  LOLOL

from the long letter I wrote post cruise to corporate (to which I received answer)  LOLOL

This is exactly what I suggested

Also more in line with other luxury lines. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bitob said:

Someone said it’s just for nova. That will never fly. They can’t have different dress codes for different ships except maybe for expeditions. 

Just curious? Why can't SS have different dress codes on different ships.

2 hours ago, Dolcevita Diva said:

This was posted on another site and was also in an email that I received from Silversea as a passenger booked on Silver Nova next month. 

Thanks - I am hoping this stays the same for Silver Ray when we sail next June. Seems to be a reasonable approach and accommodates all. 

2 minutes ago, bitob said:

Someone said it’s just for nova. That will never fly. They can’t have different dress codes for different ships except maybe for expeditions. 

Why not? Maybe they are testing the concept and will roll out more broadly soon.  

6 minutes ago, tinaincc said:

Thanks - I am hoping this stays the same for Silver Ray when we sail next June. Seems to be a reasonable approach and accommodates all. 

Why not? Maybe they are testing the concept and will roll out more broadly soon.  

I’m a betting woman. The same dress code will apply to all of the non expedition ships. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bitob said:

Incredibly confusing to customers. And no rational reason to do so 

I for one am not confused. I received an email from SS 10 days before we leave home and I can pack accordingly. I am going to take a tie but probably will not wear it

• Like 3

I would not expect you to be confused about your upcoming cruise.  They sent you an email with the precise dress code.  They does not usually happen.

In general, when you book a SS cruise you do not get an email with the dress code.  You are expected to read the website or go to some other source and figure out what is appropriate.  I think it is foolish to make a dress code ship-specific.  Going forward they are going to have set a single dress code for all the non expedition ships.   I am confident it will be the one just announced for Nova.

I just spoke to 2 Hotel Directors who expressed frustration that corporate did not listen to them about their inability to enforce the dress code.  They bot wanted it changed to what is being proposed for Nova.  I think this change has been considered for a long time. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, A Tucson Guy said:

I for one am not confused. I received an email from SS 10 days before we leave home and I can pack accordingly. I am going to take a tie but probably will not wear it

Did your email say the same as posted above from

@Dolcevita Diva ? Assume you are also on the Nova? Was this the only subject of the email or was there other pertinent information about your cruise as well?