How strict is the dress code onboard?

RonWL

3 minutes ago, Rothko1 said:

Not so much poor fool as unknowing fool.

For all you know, that sweaty guy sat in your chair the day before but you didn't see it.

On QM2 once an older chap had an accident while sitting on a chair in the Commodore Club. Luckily it was pointed out to staff (not by the chap) and the chair was quickly whisked away for cleaning.

15 minutes ago, Aussieflyer said:

On QM2 once an older chap had an accident while sitting on a chair in the Commodore Club. Luckily it was pointed out to staff (not by the chap) and the chair was quickly whisked away for cleaning.

And that’s the one you KNOW about!!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, bitob said:

its amazing how the demographic on board can change from one keg to the next 

Even the same demographic can change their behavior substantially after a single keg.

Edited by jpalbny
  • Like 2
  • Haha 14

39 minutes ago, bitob said:

its amazing how the demographic on board can change from one keg to the next 

Sure is - our experience as well.

Our "first cruise test case" with SS will be a long (16 nt) WB TA this Fall.  Experience after many similar TAs on another line suggests that these cruises tend to attract a hard core and loyal demographic for whom the shipboard experience is very important, and tend to be better behaved than average.

Guess we'll see!

20 hours ago, jpalbny said:

Even the same demographic can change their behavior substantially after a single keg.

I finished packing tonight and have included lots of dressy outfits plus a definitely formal dress.  Part of the reason I booked Silversea is because I want to dress nicely both during the day as well as at night.  My cruise on Silver Dawn is also a partial charter by an Australian company I’ve travelled with several times and I know most of the guests dress well, so I expect the dress standard will be high.  Even on an expedition cruise in the Kimberley the casual dress standard was pretty smart.

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, Port Power said:

I finished packing tonight and have included lots of dressy outfits plus a definitely formal dress.  Part of the reason I booked Silversea is because I want to dress nicely both during the day as well as at night.  My cruise on Silver Dawn is also a partial charter by an Australian company I’ve travelled with several times and I know most of the guests dress well, so I expect the dress standard will be high.  Even on an expedition cruise in the Kimberley the casual dress standard was pretty smart.

Every cruise is different. This cruise is waaay different from my first two cruises on the Moon. Wear what you want. The others really do not matter 

• Like 1

One of the things that puzzles me from way back as well as currently.  Cruise.ines have all said for men the formal wear is tux (or dinner suit) or dark lounge suit.  Why then do they then and now allow blazers which are not formal wear in my view

Some suggestions on formal attire:

Men should wear tuxedo style suits with white bows, and with top hats and polished shoes. Women should wear tight laced corsets and expensive tailored gowns with gloves. Ladies should use the formal dinners to show off their best dresses. During the dinners, they should wear gowns, satin shoes or leather shoes. They should also have long white gloves, a scarf, and a opera fan. During the formal dinners, men should wear a white tie, tailcoats, and a white pique waistcoat.

While these outfits were impractical for life on board ship, they made a statement of wealth and status....

(See: What did 1st Class Passengers Wear on the Titanic - Buy and Slay.)

1 hour ago, mancunian said:

One of the things that puzzles me from way back as well as currently.  Cruise.ines have all said for men the formal wear is tux (or dinner suit) or dark lounge suit.  Why then do they then and now allow blazers which are not formal wear in my view

On ss a tie defines formal wear

1 hour ago, RonWL said:

Men should wear tuxedo style suits with white bows, and with top hats and polished shoes. Women should wear tight laced corsets and expensive tailored gowns with gloves. Ladies should use the formal dinners to show off their best dresses. During the dinners, they should wear gowns, satin shoes or leather shoes. They should also have long white gloves, a scarf, and a opera fan. During the formal dinners, men should wear a white tie, tailcoats, and a white pique waistcoat.

While these outfits were impractical for life on board ship, they made a statement of wealth and status....

I don’t even take my opera fan on Cunard 

• Haha 2

Just now, Tothesunset said:

It's getting to the point where formal wear on SS is defined by the cut of your cargo pants and hoodie. 

As long as your cargo pants and hoodie are a designer label, say Louie, then you are good to go!!

12 minutes ago, bitob said:

There was one guest who wore khaki pants with a huge ed hardy across her butt 

very classy 

Does this Ed Hardy make my butt look big? Or is it the other way around?

s-l1600.thumb.jpg.46e952f97f7e52d97c34bde445080edb.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

On 7/28/2023 at 12:21 PM, Aussieflyer said:

I'm sorry,it won't happen again. 

Nurse!

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, RonWL said:

Ah, the good old days...

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, mancunian said:

It's not always easy to distinguish a blazer from a suit jacket.  Certainly sometimes it is easy.  But a dark blue blazer with subdued buttons worn with dark grey pants will look very close to a suit.  And I doubt anyone would notice much or care.

On the other hand, here in South Florida you get to see old geezers in their green, orange, pink, yellow, red, or purple blazers with shiny metallic or pearl buttons.  It's pretty obvious it's not a suit coat.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Rothko1 said:

On the other hand, here in South Florida you get to see old geezers in their green, orange, pink, yellow, red, or purple blazers with shiny metallic or pearl buttons.  It's pretty obvious it's not a suit coat.

On the other hand, if the passenger wearing pastel clothing looked like this, I might not notice the lack of tie. 😎

image.thumb.jpeg.c31536a2b3959f013f73e5e208a707f2.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2