How strict is the dress code onboard?

RonWL

On 10/12/2023 at 6:46 AM, drron29 said:

So the blue jacket makes it’s first appearance.

IMG_4796.thumb.jpeg.5458279e170afb6063d12ff1c35bce13.jpeg

And in other news the Maitre’D and Restaurant Manager are enforcing the dress code in Atlantide.

To heck with the naysayers!  You scored a jacket off the rack for peanuts in stunning Cerulean blue and can now eat in Atlantide.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, SeaBunny said:

So formal nights mean a full gown or cocktail dress for women? I've always worn black slacks and a sparkly/fancy-looking top for formal nights. So that won't fly with Silversea?

I wear the slacks and tops and they have always been acceptable.  Yes they will be just fine on Silversea. Actually, I have not worn a dress in years. I am a slacks gal and on formal nights they are dressy ones. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Lois R said:

I wear the slacks and tops and they have always been acceptable.  Yes they will be just fine on Silversea. Actually, I have not worn a dress in years. I am a slacks gal and on formal nights they are dressy ones. 

Great to learn! I have plenty of options, then. The only dress I own is a caftan--strictly for home. ha ha

Well jacket wearing in Atlantide on informal nights is virtually 100%. Some on sitting immediately take the jacket off and put it over their seat. A couple of them when walking out leave the jacket behind so it was a loaner jacket given to them when entering the restaurant.

Last night a young fellow turned up at La Dame without a jacket and was brought into Atlantide to get a jacket. On the Moon earlier this year a few were without a jacket.

So enforcement of the dress code is more common than our last 2 cruises on the Moon and Dawn.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Well, ever’ Monday I put on a clean pair of bib overalls (whether I need to or not), and I’m fixed for the week. I got a jacket, alright, an old Carhardt with the plaid flannel lining.  Of course, what with the wear and tear from all those trips to the milk parlor, the hay loft & shoveling out the chicken coop, it’s about 50% duct tape by weight - I like to get good use out of my clothes, before I pass them on to the kids.   Come Saturday, before me & Thelma Lou make our big outing to the feed store (that’s our special time!), I chase the cows off (that’d be Bessie & Buttercup), and hop in the watering trough for a bath.  Thelma is kind enough to bring out the kettle full a hot water, so I don’t catch the sniffles, from the cold and all.  Then, I put on the store-boughts, and we jump in the pickup and hightail it in to town.  (The goats follow us out to the mailbox, if Ma is driving.)  At Gomer’s Feed, Seed & Ammo, they got some free donuts and coffee if you get there before 10am, so we’re punctual!  Now, Sunday come along, its haul out the go-to-meeting outfit:  that would be the suit my old pappy bought me for when I graduated from high school.  I buff up them shoes & glue the sole on now & then, and what with Thelma in her good dress made from one of the nicer flour sacks we’ve seen, we’re cutting a wide swath when we show up at the meeting house!  

So, now Thelma Lou’s done got us signed up for this fancy pants cruise on the Silver Muse.  I suppose I’m gonna have to up my sartorial game.  So, I’m gonna pop over to Milan, and have Brioni’s measure me up for a proper suit, then go to Ferragamo’s for some shoes.  We just got the check for selling a few tons of feed corn, and I reckon I’ll have enough so I can get all dolled up for supper in one a them exclusive mess halls they got on board…..
  • Haha 4

6 minutes ago, Will Work for Tiramisu said:
Well, ever’ Monday I put on a clean pair of bib overalls (whether I need to or not), and I’m fixed for the week. I got a jacket, alright, an old Carhardt with the plaid flannel lining.  Of course, what with the wear and tear from all those trips to the milk parlor, the hay loft & shoveling out the chicken coop, it’s about 50% duct tape by weight - I like to get good use out of my clothes, before I pass them on to the kids.   Come Saturday, before me & Thelma Lou make our big outing to the feed store (that’s our special time!), I chase the cows off (that’d be Bessie & Buttercup), and hop in the watering trough for a bath.  Thelma is kind enough to bring out the kettle full a hot water, so I don’t catch the sniffles, from the cold and all.  Then, I put on the store-boughts, and we jump in the pickup and hightail it in to town.  (The goats follow us out to the mailbox, if Ma is driving.)  At Gomer’s Feed, Seed & Ammo, they got some free donuts and coffee if you get there before 10am, so we’re punctual!  Now, Sunday come along, its haul out the go-to-meeting outfit:  that would be the suit my old pappy bought me for when I graduated from high school.  I buff up them shoes & glue the sole on now & then, and what with Thelma in her good dress made from one of the nicer flour sacks we’ve seen, we’re cutting a wide swath when we show up at the meeting house!  

So, now Thelma Lou’s done got us signed up for this fancy pants cruise on the Silver Muse.  I suppose I’m gonna have to up my sartorial game.  So, I’m gonna pop over to Milan, and have Brioni’s measure me up for a proper suit, then go to Ferragamo’s for some shoes.  We just got the check for selling a few tons of feed corn, and I reckon I’ll have enough so I can get all dolled up for supper in one a them exclusive mess halls they got on board…..

Do you think you could use a smaller font to make it a bit harder to read?

Ropomo,  I typed it off-site, then pasted the text into the CC post window.  I selected Arial typeface and 12 pt, which is the largest they have.  I'm guessing I should have converted to plain text, before pasting.  Sorry for the inconvenience.  I'm great at fixin' the tractor & the manure spreader, but this gol durn computer stuff is a bit over my pay grade.  Guess I need some grandkids to help me out with that!  

Regards, Festus McGillicuddy 

• Haha 4

IMO, the dress code is more strict for men than women.  Women have more flexibility   Even on formal night, women can wear almost anything that looks dressy, including slacks with a nifty top. Top could be silk or sparkly.  Nice looking jewelry helps. 

If you stay away from shorts, jeans, gym wear, and casual tops, you’re fine for informal.  One step up is fine for formal. Or you can go all out with cocktail or long.  

This trip I’m bringing nice slacks and lightweight dressy tops for informal. For formal, I’m bringing dresses that are near cocktail but that I’ll dress up with jewelry.  It will be fine. 

I stressed on my first SS cruise.  Now I’m respectful of the dress code but also know that I don’t have to bring cocktail or formal to be ok. DH has to bring coat and tie. 

And yes, I’m well aware that there are less formal venues. 😀

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ropomo said:

Do you think you could use a smaller font to make it a bit harder to read?

3 hours ago, Will Work for Tiramisu said:

Ropomo,  I typed it off-site, then pasted the text into the CC post window.  I selected Arial typeface and 12 pt, which is the largest they have.  I'm guessing I should have converted to plain text, before pasting.  Sorry for the inconvenience.  I'm great at fixin' the tractor & the manure spreader, but this gol durn computer stuff is a bit over my pay grade.  Guess I need some grandkids to help me out with that!  

Regards, Festus McGillicuddy 

Fixed it for you.  [Although once a post is made with a specified font and size it's very hard to get it back to "default/default"]

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Will Work for Tiramisu said:

Mssr Jazzbeau, 

Thank you for your thoughtful intercession.  We of the McGillicuddy clan aren't exactly tip-top on this highfalutin' computer stuff.  But - as you may surmise - I'm a fair country manure spreader, even without firing up the tractor!!  

I loved your original post - that was hilarious.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Will Work for Tiramisu said:

Mssr Jazzbeau, 

Thank you for your thoughtful intercession.  We of the McGillicuddy clan aren't exactly tip-top on this highfalutin' computer stuff.  But - as you may surmise - I'm a fair country manure spreader, even without firing up the tractor!!  

Yes, I have noticed how you spread manure all over this forum!  [Keep up the good work...]  🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

As ZZ Top said (sang) -

Clean shirt, new shoes
And I don't know where I am goin' to
Silk suit, black tie (black tie)
I don't need a reason why
They come runnin' just as fast as they can
'Cause every girl crazy 'bout a sharp-dressed man.

Gold watch, diamond ring
I ain't missin' not a single thing
Cufflinks, stick pin
When I step out I'm gonna do you in

Top coat, top hat
And I don't worry 'cause my wallet's fat
Black shades, white gloves
Lookin' sharp, lookin' for love

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Dress code holding up in Atlantide. But lending jackets though seems to be fewer.

La Terraza last night. Informal dress code but a clear majority of men > 80% wearing a jacket.

Venetian cocktail event tonight and of course formal dress code.

• Thanks 1

On 10/16/2023 at 10:22 PM, Coastaljewel said:

Probably covered already.. but I ended up going down this rabbit hole while researching Silver  Nova for Alaska next year.  The Nova has a different dress code than the other ships.  A03D1E48-3D75-46EC-B55D-CF4F90F5377F.thumb.jpeg.eddfaeca4908549a5c92e65ea5ac5596.jpeg

Who authors this stuff? How does Silversea operate? “Akin”, “indoor spaces prohibit”, I could go on and on…

Looking for a definition guide to the words and phrases.

Edited by spinnaker2

I booked Silverseas for a great little trip from Sydney to Auckland as I thought they and Seabourn were in step with each other etc. Due to the loss of my wife, I’m a solo traveller now, and worry that although top notch, Silverseas might be a bit behind the times ( my opinion) in allowing people to dress nicely, but necessarily enforcing a dress code from the 70s. 
  Because I’m travelling solo, I’ve booked dinners in advance, with no clue when formal nights will occur,  so I do hope the positives outweigh the negatives in booking with them vs the other great carriers. The timing was great for this trip, hopefully I won’t have to order room service half thr nights.I’ll bring a couple of jackets and steal a tie , but do believe adult dinners don’t include ties and tuxedos any longer., nevermind the $500 Jean issue. 

Westmount 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, westmount said:

I booked Silverseas for a great little trip from Sydney to Auckland as I thought they and Seabourn were in step with each other etc. Due to the loss of my wife, I’m a solo traveller now, and worry that although top notch, Silverseas might be a bit behind the times ( my opinion) in allowing people to dress nicely, but necessarily enforcing a dress code from the 70s. 
  Because I’m travelling solo, I’ve booked dinners in advance, with no clue when formal nights will occur,  so I do hope the positives outweigh the negatives in booking with them vs the other great carriers. The timing was great for this trip, hopefully I won’t have to order room service half thr nights.I’ll bring a couple of jackets and steal a tie , but do believe adult dinners don’t include ties and tuxedos any longer., nevermind the $500 Jean issue. 

Westmount 

I really wouldn't worry. there are many options available for formal nights. There is a Spanish group of 6 on board who I have seen up in Spaccanapoli on deck 11 on the 2 Formal nights. They were eating from ` 3pm to 4.30pm. They were having lobster or salmon. Atlantide says you wouldn't be able to do that but order from room service using your butler and get him to deliver to deck 11.

Basically you only need a tie on formal nights. informal is a jacket and collared shirt. now on this cruise Atlantide is enforcing the dress code but several come along with no jacket and they are loaned one. Which they then wear walking to the table and immediately hang it over the back of the chair and walk out leaving it there.

ALso Silversea are good at looking after solo travellers. Basically drinks before dinner every day and often then several will eat together. Also just tell the Maitre'd that you are willing to share a table. some of us still like meeting others including solo travellers.

I’m onthe whisper, which doesn’t have many options, but at the same time is small enough to get to know half the passengers on two excursions. I don’t plan to be a hermit, only getting dressed like James Bond while on my own is not happening. I will bring a couple blazers through, if that’s what’s needed not to get arrested , and might like Silverseas enough to want to return, don’t want a black mark on my record 

thanks

Wedtmount 

• Haha 2

We’ve been on the Silver Nova for almost a week now. The majority ( self included) wear a jacket without tie . I wore a suit on formal night , and most of the women have been dressed nicely too. Those that didn’t care to wear a jacket looked just fine. 

• Like 2