Do you think guest behavior is linked to a particular ship?

Drew B 58

I didnt read the entire thread but id assume this is out of NYC? Its not a ship issue, its a home port issue. Ive been out of NYC 3 different times and they are by far the worst people ive ever seen on cruise ships. Especially the teenagers. I was on a sailing of the Magic last year and it was so bad on board that afew weeks later carnival put the new rules into effect. The behavior on the Magic was said to have been a major factor. Now that the magic isnt in NYC anymore im hearing nothing but positive reviews. Its the city

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 8/9/2023 at 3:12 PM, vacruisin said:

Choice is a beautiful thing.  If Carnival ain't your cup of tea then there are plenty of other lines for people to sail on.  Happy Sailing all!

That's a pretty broad statement. Its not just a Carnival thing. Theres tons of factors that effect cruise experiences, at least in my experience. I made the mistakes of going out of NYC on the inaugural cruise of the Vista and again during the summer on the Magic, two worst cruises ive ever been on. But i also went out of NYC in Sept on a Canada cruise and had a blast. Also went on the Vista again out of Miami and had a great time. Home port, time of year, length of cruise, price are all factors more than brand imo.

• Like 1

Hi, just off Venezia yesterday.  NYC crowd was what you encounter everyday living in tri state area .  Somewhat entitled yet also more accepting of little inconveniences like buffet lines.  Saw no fights but some close calls, mostly in the theatre, people saving " rows" of seats.  Weed was everywhere.  I personally spoke to 5 teens smoking on the "Terrazza Carnavale" at eleven pm.  Just told them to keep the noise down, which they did.  Walking the promenade on deck every morning at 7 am, was amazed at the # of roaches (weed not bugs) I saw.  I mean there was no end to the quantity of reefer on this ship.  I saw the drug dog also.  I know a little about dogs.  This animal was older and certainly past his prime.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, matymil said:

That's a pretty broad statement. Its not just a Carnival thing. Theres tons of factors that effect cruise experiences, at least in my experience. I made the mistakes of going out of NYC on the inaugural cruise of the Vista and again during the summer on the Magic, two worst cruises ive ever been on. But i also went out of NYC in Sept on a Canada cruise and had a blast. Also went on the Vista again out of Miami and had a great time. Home port, time of year, length of cruise, price are all factors more than brand imo.

I think you missed my point.  I was saying that for the most part Carnival cruises tend to be drama-free but sometimes people go with the "narrative" that bad behavior is specific to Carnival cruises.  I agree with you there are other factors that contribute to it.  I suggested if anyone has a problem with Carnival they could explore other lines.  Carnival is my preferred line.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, joge107 said:

Hi, just off Venezia yesterday.  NYC crowd was what you encounter everyday living in tri state area .  Somewhat entitled yet also more accepting of little inconveniences like buffet lines.  Saw no fights but some close calls, mostly in the theatre, people saving " rows" of seats.  Weed was everywhere.  I personally spoke to 5 teens smoking on the "Terrazza Carnavale" at eleven pm.  Just told them to keep the noise down, which they did.  Walking the promenade on deck every morning at 7 am, was amazed at the # of roaches (weed not bugs) I saw.  I mean there was no end to the quantity of reefer on this ship.  I saw the drug dog also.  I know a little about dogs.  This animal was older and certainly past his prime.

I have encountered marijuana smell on EVERY Carnival cruise I have had recently.  I have a 10 day on this ship next April, and I hope it isn't a nightmare, as I plan to take my 70 year old parents.

What's the saying about Carnival? It's the "Walmart of the seas."  😐 Oh well, I shop at Walmart all the time and have only cruised on Carnival.

There were several comments about fights spawning from low income people. That's only partially true. There are lower income places where crime & violence are common, but on the other hand, some of the safest places in the country are often lower income areas that are peaceful & relatively crime free. It all comes down to the individual. Then when individuals who have a short fuse party with other individuals of a similar mindset, they feed off one another and situations escalate.

23 hours ago, Elaine5715 said:

Since the second hand smoke from marijuana is also intoxicating and crew are under a zero tolerance standard, I hope it never is permitted.

This is what makes smoking weed and drinking so different and why I'd like to see it strictly regulated if it were ever allowed on a cruise. I'm not going to get buzzed or drunk just by being around drinkers, but the same can't be said for being around second-hand weed smoke. I know some people will say, "Then don't go where they're smoking weed." But I'm talking about places that have always been open to everyone. Cruse ship common areas & venues, for example. It shouldn't be allowed where the average person would be exposed to it.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, skywalkr2 said:

I have encountered marijuana smell on EVERY Carnival cruise I have had recently.  I have a 10 day on this ship next April, and I hope it isn't a nightmare, as I plan to take my 70 year old parents.

While I cannot say it has never happened, I can def say I am 100% positive that it is not even in the vicinity of 100%. 

6 hours ago, joge107 said:

Huh, did not know that dogs did weed….go figure.  I thought I knew dogs also, but I guess not.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

On 7/8/2023 at 10:55 PM, Mr305 said:

I was on Conquest last weekend on a 3 Day Cruise.  Carnival’s clientele has definitely changed.  A lot of the folks on board were first timers.  Our biggest issue was weed, even with dogs at the terminal, they were lighting it up on the balcony day and night.  I’ve done about three of these cruises over the years, never seen anything like it.  Let’s just say, that was my last 3 Day Cruise, at least on Carnival.

I’ve also done 7 & 8 Day Cruises on Carnival, everyone is well behaved and the folks are a bit more upscale.  Lots of Gold and Platinum cruisers.  It’s a shame, all this does is destroy the product/brand.  Hopefully the upcoming price increase will eliminate some of these issues.

I've done 3 and 4 night cruises on all the major cruise lines and never seen or heard of issues on any line other than Carnival. It has nothing to do with the length of the cruise, it is entirely due to the quality of clientele.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 8/11/2023 at 10:03 AM, skywalkr2 said:

As a 60 year old with a 70 year old husband, I don't think you need to worry about your 70 year old parents' cruise being a "nightmare".  Even if you smell some weed, or some morons get in a fight- that doesn't make the cruise a nightmare, right?  

I have smelled weed now and again on Carnival ships.  The last time I clearly remember was when I was sitting with my feet in the main pool and someone was smoking up on the smoking deck and the scent was being blown toward the pool.  We were outside and there was a breeze and there was no danger of anyone being intoxicated or having a breathing problem from the weed smell.  The ship was moving.   I have smelled it vey strongly randomly walking through the smoking section looking for someone.  Don't do that.  🙂   I have once or twice gotten a whiff on our balcony when the ship was moving.  I have never had my balcony be unusable from any kind of smoke.  

I have witnessed fights of varying intensity on my cruises.  I agree this does seem to be more of a problem now than pre-covid.  I am not going to begin to guess why. Too many moving parts.  But I am going to push back strongly that it is because of "lower income" people.  I think that is just silly.  No one "lower income" is on a flipping cruise ship.  I work with impoverished people.  They are not cruising.   If people think that a people earning $100,000 a year are less likely to get into a brawl than someone earning $50,000 a year- go ahead and live with that illusion.  

The best advice I can give to people is:

1.Don't book a booze cruise. 

2. If you hear voices raising and yelling escalating, go somewhere else on the ship (if you stay to watch the entertainment you can't complain about a brawl starting)

3. Don't go near the smoking section or sit right below it when the ship is in port.

• Like 5

21 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

maybe 53 Carnival cruises is not enough of a sample......I will work on that.  You are obviously correct.  

Have followed your comments for some time and wondering why you are such a Carnival cheerleader.  Ater that number of Carnival cruises and if you are that affluent to have that many why you have never explored other lines and the amenities they offer with a different clientele. Why you would choose to constantly defend them as being the perfect line, I am assuming you are a JH affinio or relative of an employee who would never try another line,  Carnival was once a great line but of late has gone downhill due to its passenger roster not in its service,  They and JH have done a great job on making a person feel guilty if they choose another line.  It's a remarkable study in human nature how persons can be so easily manipulated Sorry you aren't enjoying some other experiences.  I do agree that Carnival has great ships and excellent service but sadly it's their clientele.

3 hours ago, Moz said:

Have followed your comments for some time and wondering why you are such a Carnival cheerleader.  Ater that number of Carnival cruises and if you are that affluent to have that many why you have never explored other lines and the amenities they offer with a different clientele. Why you would choose to constantly defend them as being the perfect line, I am assuming you are a JH affinio or relative of an employee who would never try another line,  Carnival was once a great line but of late has gone downhill due to its passenger roster not in its service,  They and JH have done a great job on making a person feel guilty if they choose another line.  It's a remarkable study in human nature how persons can be so easily manipulated Sorry you aren't enjoying some other experiences.  I do agree that Carnival has great ships and excellent service but sadly it's their clientele.

Did I ever say I have not explored other lines?  You guessed it, I really am JH.  If someone likes anything other than your view, they must be:  an imposter, a gran employee posing as a poster or a relative.  Wait maybe there is another option, maybe it is because I enjoy the cruise line and prefer them to NCL, RCCL, MSC, Princess, etc etc.  Maybe I disagree with your view on the value for price.  Maybe what makes Carnival the FUN ships really are fun. I defend nobody, I post my opinion, just like everybody else.  You can agree or disagree, but that is what males CC work, all the different views.  Imagine if you will a world where we just accept that and not quiestions others.

Nobody makes anybody guilty for their choices, the only one that can do that are in the mirror.  I really have done 53 carnival cruises and sampled 6 other lines. I really do prefer Carnival, I have 5 more Carnival cruises scheduled (and 3 on other lines).  I have met JH and lots of others in mgt on more than a few lines, including RCCL, Azamara, MSC, NCL, Disney, Princess, Celebrity and more.  All of that adds up to….let's see, add the cruises totaled and divided by the number of ships currently sailing added to the number of homeports….zero.  Hate to burst your bubble.  So to recap, I have explored, I have sampled and I do prefer Carnival.  I can afford to cruise virtually any line and choose Carnival.  You do not have to assume anything anymore.  Now you know.  Oh, one more thing, thanks for following my posts, I can do an autographed picture if you want

Edited by jimbo5544
  • Like 5
  • Haha 8

57 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

Did I ever say I have not explored other lines?  You guessed it, I really am JH.  If someone likes anything other than your view, they must be:  an imposter, a gran employee posing as a poster or a relative.  Wait maybe there is another option, maybe it is because I enjoy the cruise line and prefer them to NCL, RCCL, MSC, Princess, etc etc.  Maybe I disagree with your view on the value for price.  Maybe what makes Carnival the FUN ships really are fun. I defend nobody, I post my opinion, just like everybody else.  You can agree or disagree, but that is what males CC work, all the different views.  Imagine if you will a world where we just accept that and not quiestions others.

Nobody makes anybody guilty for their choices, the only one that can do that are in the mirror.  I really have done 53 carnival cruises and sampled 6 other lines. I really do prefer Carnival, I have 5 more Carnival cruises scheduled (and 3 on other lines).  I have met JH and lots of others in mgt on more than a few lines, including RCCL, Azamara, MSC, NCL, Disney, Princess, Celebrity and more.  All of that adds up to….let's see, add the cruises totaled and divided by the number of ships currently sailing added to the number of homeports….zero.  Hate to burst your bubble.  So to recap, I have explored, I have sampled and I do prefer Carnival.  I can afford to cruise virtually any line and choose Carnival.  You do not have to assume anything anymore.  Now you know.  Oh, one more thing, thanks for following my posts, I can do an autographed picture if you want

Bully for you and all your credentials appreciate what you wrote as we are all entitled to our opinions,  My years of cruising are almost over as I am no longer able to do it due to age,  Enjoy your future cruises with your fun crowd,

8 hours ago, Moz said:

Bully for you and all your credentials appreciate what you wrote as we are all entitled to our opinions,  My years of cruising are almost over as I am no longer able to do it due to age,  Enjoy your future cruises with your fun crowd,

I am closer to your age and view then you may think.  There are certainly other options that fit a more refined mature cruising palette.  HAL, Azamara, Princess and Celebrity are first to come to mind,  The price gap can be not as large as one might think.  If the desire to cruise is still out there, there are options, and options are always a good thing.  Happy cruising.

• Like 2

Interesting post I want to thank the OP for starting the conversation. Personally your lungs are your own just don't break the rules and do it in my space. I avoid yours please avoid areas not designated for smoking, as for pot it's illegal on the ship. Surprised Carnival doesn't actively look for balcony smokers that's an easy 500.00 for them. Have only come across pot stench once in many years and that was on NCL in the Haven on the private sun deck so it doesn't matter what a person pays ignorant, entitlement crosses all lines. Oh and that was out of NYC before it was legal.

Be safe people keep smoking off the balconies it can be a fire hazard.

Enjoy your sailing whenever and wherever it may be you have earned your vacation.

18 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

And the reason why is one word, pandemic.

That’s the thing—I don’t know what happened to people’s brains during the pandemic but there is so much more misbehaving out that. Look at flights for instance. There are problem passengers weekly it seems. 

As for the marijuana, I hate the smell of it. Gives me a headache everytime. I can’t figure out how people have such a hard time understanding that you can’t cross state lines with it. I have a medical use license for it, but if I travel from my home state across any boarder whether that be car, plane or on foot, I’m breaking federal law. I think Carnival would benefit by showing clear enforcement of not allowing it. In the meantime, stock is dropping again. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, momof3cruisers said:

That’s the thing—I don’t know what happened to people’s brains during the pandemic but there is so much more misbehaving out that. Look at flights for instance. There are problem passengers weekly it seems. 

As for the marijuana, I hate the smell of it. Gives me a headache everytime. I can’t figure out how people have such a hard time understanding that you can’t cross state lines with it. I have a medical use license for it, but if I travel from my home state across any boarder whether that be car, plane or on foot, I’m breaking federal law. I think Carnival would benefit by showing clear enforcement of not allowing it. In the meantime, stock is dropping again. 

I think they are doing more than other lines.  On the other point, the world was locked down for 19 months (more or less depending on anybody’s point of view or state of residence).  They want their lives back and the missed time back.  Same for airlines, apply the screws to passengers and mandate after mandate crunch time and add in testing, eliminate the ability to have a drink, or what you can bring or whether you have to wear or not wear or mask and have military at airports screening people getting on or getting off a plane, mandating follow ups etc. etc.  Is it any wonder people get worked up?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

I think they are doing more than other lines.  On the other point, the world was locked down for 19 months (more or less depending on anybody’s point of view or state of residence).  They want their lives back and the missed time back.  Same for airlines, apply the screws to passengers and mandate after mandate crunch time and add in testing, eliminate the ability to have a drink, or what you can bring or whether you have to wear or not wear or mask and have military at airports screening people getting on or getting off a plane, mandating follow ups etc. etc.  Is it any wonder people get worked up?

what's it going to take to get people to not get worked up anymore since the restrictions about mask and such have been gone for a little bit now but the acting out is still continuing?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 8/11/2023 at 2:58 PM, fyree39 said:

I see 420 bars being built on board. Right next to cigar bars. 

Cigars are legal everywhere boats go. While I support your dream wholeheartedly, cannabis is still illegal federally in the US, and in other countries punishments range from nothing to a small fine to mandatory jail time, so I don't see that happening anytime soon.

Worst I've experienced (never been on Carnival) was a Greek family puffing Marlboros like smokestacks on the balcony next door, usually while yelling at each other. Fortunately, by Day 3 another neighbor had obviously hipped the staff to their habit.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Illbcruzn4life said:

what's it going to take to get people to not get worked up anymore since the restrictions about mask and such have been gone for a little bit now but the acting out is still continuing?

After almost 2 years you think it will just cease?  Being mandated to do this and my guess their feeling of being oppressed for significant periods of time have reactions.  Sometimes taking almost 2 years away from the freedoms once there have longer term affects.  It is not pretty, but it is real.

Edited by jimbo5544
  • Like 2