First time cruisers - what's your embarkation day routine?

KEG88

On 7/11/2023 at 4:19 PM, KKB said:

We get to the port about 9:30-10. We like to be onboard early & figure we wait at port or wait at hotel, no difference.

Celebrity now allows you to drop bags in room (YEAH) even if they aren't ready so we usually do that first (AFTER getting a drink), grab some lunch (grab a drink)  & then wander the ship. We try to see everything & get our lay of the land. We don't usually do the pool on day one but with kids I could see that being a priority!

Bad advice about arriving early. Southampton checks times and runs 2 separate lines/ queues. There is little cover and no seats as you wait outside. You might be lucky but with 2 kids in tow it's not worth the risk. Stick to the times, have your docs in paper format (lighting and WiFi is notoriously poor at Southampton) and you will be onboard very quickly.

Go direct to cabin and pick up sea passes.

Then go direct to your Muster Station to complete the formalities - takes about 2 minutes.

After that you are free to explore.

Enjoy.

4 minutes ago, the penguins said:

Bad advice about arriving early. Southampton checks times and runs 2 separate lines/ queues. There is little cover and no seats as you wait outside. You might be lucky but with 2 kids in tow it's not worth the risk. Stick to the times, have your docs in paper format (lighting and WiFi is notoriously poor at Southampton) and you will be onboard very quickly.

Go direct to cabin and pick up sea passes.

Then go direct to your Muster Station to complete the formalities - takes about 2 minutes.

After that you are free to explore.

Enjoy.

Appreciate this info about Southampton—have never sailed out of there, but we r 2x in the next year!

On 7/11/2023 at 11:14 AM, KEG88 said:

We are excited to take our first cruise on Celebrity Silhouette this August! We are first timers and I would like to ask any more experienced cruisers what their routine is once they board?!

We have 11:30 boarding from Southampton, we want to get on there and start our vacation as soon as possible! So... what should we do first/second/third? Drop bags, lunch, pool? Lunch, bar, bar? We are two adults and two children (8 and 11)... can I hear your ideas, what do you like to do?

First of all, arrive to the port a day early!  We usually drive to the port, so my job is to purchase some Dunks (Dunkin Donuts) and a Coolata for the drive.

Second (and maybe this should be first), make sure you have all your travel documents with you and pack them in your carry-on when you leave.  You'll need them several times during the embarkation process, so DO NOT put them in your checked luggage!

Third, fill out your check-in questions before you leave for the ship on the app.

Fourth, pack your carry-ons!  Things to include: medications, travel docs, bathing suits, electronics, cameras, books, etc.

Fifth, do your E-Muster Drill in the app on your way to the terminal (assuming you're not driving) or while you wait in line.  Everyone must do this as it's maritime law, and it only takes 5 min.  Once you get onboard, report to the station listed in your app, show the crew member your phone, and they'll send you on your merry way.

Sixth, check your luggage with the porters while waiting at the terminal.  Your bags won't be left behind: they're going through security and will be delivered to your room usually later that afternoon.

Seventh, hit the buffet or any open restaurant for some food.  You can also use this time to make sure your dinner reservations are all set.

Eighth, reserve any shows you want to see in the app.

Ninth, assuming you bought the drink package, claim it at any bar and you'll be given your reusable cup.  Go to any bar or Freestyle machine at any point with it throughout the cruise to get free drinks!  If going to the bar, unscrew the top so that the crew knows to come get your order.  Your card will work too if you forget your cup!

Tenth, hit any attractions you've been dying to try or hit the pools, as they'll likely be open.  Your room likely won't be ready until around 1:30PM, so you'll have to carry your carry-ons with you until then.

Welcome to Cruise Critic!

broadwaybaby123 has a great list (post #28), but not all of it applies to Celebrity.

#5 - I've never had to show anyone my phone to prove I've watched the muster information. In fact, you can watch it on the TV in your stateroom once you are onboard.

#8 - Reservations for the shows are not needed on Celebrity - just go to the theatre. (However, if you are in a suite, there will be a reserved area for suite passengers on Chic Nights.)

#9 - Celebrity does not have Freestyle machines or reusable cups. There are free fountain beverages available in the buffet.

#10 - On Celebrity, you can usually go directly to your stateroom as soon as you are onboard. Your Sea Pass/Room Key will be there. You can drop off your carry-on luggage and lock valuables in the safe before going to your muster station.

When you get onboard, stop at the excursions desk to see if "ship tours" are being offered. It's just a walk around the public areas (free) done before Sail-Away, but it's a way to get somewhat oriented to the layout of the ship. DH and I did it on a cruise recently, despite the fact that we've sailed Celebrity a dozen times and had been on that particular ship multiple times, we still enjoyed the excitement shared by fellow passengers on their first Celebrity cruise.

Then check out the rest of the ship and enjoying a Sail-Away drink.

Edited by MarKay525
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

10 hours ago, broadwaybaby123 said:

Ninth, assuming you bought the drink package, claim it at any bar and you'll be given your reusable cup.  Go to any bar or Freestyle machine at any point with it throughout the cruise to get free drinks!  If going to the bar, unscrew the top so that the crew knows to come get your order.  Your card will work too if you forget your cup!

Tenth, hit any attractions you've been dying to try or hit the pools, as they'll likely be open.  Your room likely won't be ready until around 1:30PM, so you'll have to carry your carry-ons with you until then.

You do not reserve shows on celebrity

There are no reusable cups or freestyle machines on Celebrity

You go to your cabin as soon as you board to drop carry ons

You must not be familiar with Celebrity

I stay at a hotel the night before, get a late  checkout, and have a leisurely breakfast. I then spend the morning at the hotel pool; the hotel pool is usually empty as cruisers head to the port  I leave the hotel so as to arrive at the port at 1:30.  By then, there is no crowd and I usually check in and board in a few minutes. By then the cabin is ready and I go directly there.  At 2 I'm in the buffet eating lunch, which is also  not crowded with people waiting for the cabins to open. I then return to my cabin and hang out on the balcony, away from the first day hustle and bustle. 

For all those who say pack a bathing suit for the kids, where do they change- the public bathroom?  And then the parent is carrying a bag of street clothes and sneakers?  I'd have the kids wear the bathing suits under their travel clothes if swimming is the first day plan. 

2 hours ago, gold1953 said:

You do not reserve shows on celebrity

There are no reusable cups or freestyle machines on Celebrity

You go to your cabin as soon as you board to drop carry ons

You must not be familiar with Celebrity

Actually I'm quite familiar with them as I've been on about 8 of their cruises, as evidenced in my signature.  Haven't been on one in six years with Celebrity, but thanks for your insight.

Edited by broadwaybaby123

@broadwaybaby123, I work at Seattle's Pier 91, and I appreciate your suggestions:

Make sure you have your travel documents either on your person, or in your carry-on.

Keep your valuables and medication in your carry-on.

Watch the Safety videos and check-in at your muster station.

Well done my friend!  Too bad you don't live closer to the port in Boston, you could have a fun part-time job working with cruise passengers!

4 minutes ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

@broadwaybaby123, I work at Seattle's Pier 91, and I appreciate your suggestions:

Make sure you have your travel documents either on your person, or in your carry-on.

Keep your valuables and medication in your carry-on.

Watch the Safety videos and check-in at your muster station.

Well done my friend!  Too bad you don't live closer to the port in Boston, you could have a fun part-time job working with cruise passengers!

Thanks!

I'm 45 min. outside of Boston, but I'm terrified of driving in Boston, which is why my Dad does the driving!

Edited by broadwaybaby123

Get in line at Guest Relations with at least a 1000 other passengers to put my name in for a free upgrade.  🙄😱🤣

See the concierge or Maitre D about having dinner at the Captain’s Table and getting a window table during dinner.  

See about getting an invite for the sail away on the Heli Pad and a bridge tour. 🥱

Put towels and a book from the library on some loungers to reserve them for the cruise.  

Purchase an elevator pass from housekeeping.  🤡

Now for the serious stuff.   Go to the cabin to get our room key and drop off our carry ons

Get some to eat if we are hungry.  

Go to a bar for a drink waiting for the cabins to open.  Then go there and do our muster drill if it wasn’t available on the app and then go check in at the station. 

Check to see if the luggage has been delivered.   If it has then unpack

Then hang out somewhere with a drink waiting  for the sail away.  Most times it is on our balcony or sitting at a bar if we are having a good time there. 

Do what ever you feel like doing.  Don’t try to follow what others do.   Once on board you will figure it out.  

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Edited by miched
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, JFontaine said:

For all those who say pack a bathing suit for the kids, where do they change- the public bathroom?  And then the parent is carrying a bag of street clothes and sneakers?  I'd have the kids wear the bathing suits under their travel clothes if swimming is the first day plan. 

You can get into your stateroom and leave clothes there; you will have your sea pass card at the door.  You just might not have your luggage yet.

20 hours ago, broadwaybaby123 said:

First of all, arrive to the port a day early!  We usually drive to the port, so my job is to purchase some Dunks (Dunkin Donuts) and a Coolata for the drive.

Second (and maybe this should be first), make sure you have all your travel documents with you and pack them in your carry-on when you leave.  You'll need them several times during the embarkation process, so DO NOT put them in your checked luggage!

Third, fill out your check-in questions before you leave for the ship on the app.

Fourth, pack your carry-ons!  Things to include: medications, travel docs, bathing suits, electronics, cameras, books, etc.

Fifth, do your E-Muster Drill in the app on your way to the terminal (assuming you're not driving) or while you wait in line.  Everyone must do this as it's maritime law, and it only takes 5 min.  Once you get onboard, report to the station listed in your app, show the crew member your phone, and they'll send you on your merry way.

Sixth, check your luggage with the porters while waiting at the terminal.  Your bags won't be left behind: they're going through security and will be delivered to your room usually later that afternoon.

Seventh, hit the buffet or any open restaurant for some food.  You can also use this time to make sure your dinner reservations are all set.

1st time cruiser here☺️ Reusable cup? Like a Yeti or thermal cup?

On 7/11/2023 at 4:14 PM, KEG88 said:

We are excited to take our first cruise on Celebrity Silhouette this August! We are first timers and I would like to ask any more experienced cruisers what their routine is once they board?!

We have 11:30 boarding from Southampton, we want to get on there and start our vacation as soon as possible! So... what should we do first/second/third? Drop bags, lunch, pool? Lunch, bar, bar? We are two adults and two children (8 and 11)... can I hear your ideas, what do you like to do?

Welcome to cruise critic!

Not only do we always spend a night pre cruise in the port we are sailing from we pick a room with a port view whenever possible. For Southampton, the Holiday Inn. If we are awake early (4am ish), which we usually are as we are excited, we will use ship tracker to see our ship approach the port…Lovely to open your curtains and see your ship arriving!

Even when we have a free breakfast we keep it light so we can enjoy a lunch on board.

Our once  on board routine is similar to many others. A mix of getting organised for the cruise and beginning to unwind. We invariably on S class ships dine in Tuscan first night. It really is magical to watch the ship slowly move out of the port and see day turn to night through those amazing aft windows with the wonderful wake views…

• Like 1

On 7/11/2023 at 8:14 AM, KEG88 said:

We get there before our scheduled time so we are amongst the first to board.  As our larger cases are handled by the cruise line, we are left with carry on baggage.  We take those to the stateroom straightaway and then either do the Concierge lunch if we qualify or buffet.  We then stroll the ship until we are notified our stateroom is ready for us to relax in.  Since you have children, I would opt only for the buffet and when you go to drop your bags in the room, do a very quick change to swimwear but don't forget coverups.  Males have to have a shirt and women with a covering.

I always get onboard, as early as, possible; however, different ports for embarking have their own requirements.  The cabin/suite is first, but I always carry the important stuff with me to lunch, whether at a restaurant, or OVC. Those are never crowded because I arrive early.  If I happen to meet my cabin steward, I ask for more hangers.  My reservations are for restaurants and spa are already made, unless I have to change times/days.  Guest Services is the last place I want to go, as it is extremely busy that day.  As far as  upgrades, MoveUp takes care of most of that, but if there are available cabins, some get lucky and receive a small “free” upgrade, or cabin relocation.  My last cruise wanted the top MoveUp price for a suite upgrade, even though I was onboard and in a suite for my first part of a b2b. My SV was more than satisfactory.  After lunch taking a walk around the ship and/or enjoying some outdoor time is just a pleasure while waiting for luggage to decompress and relax, taking a deep breath and knowing that a wonderful adventure awaits!  Just don’t sweat the small things, but embrace where you are, along with where you are going!

Edited by Lastdance

The request is that you place your hand luggage out of the way and leave quickly. Asking for hangers, kids changing - all while the team is trying to prepare the cabins quickly.  Of course the staff will be pleasant to you. How long before Celebrity says enough and prohibits entry to cabins until ready like (nearly?) all other cruise lines? If you appreciate this benefit, please respect it. 

• Like 1