What's the appropriate tipping on Viking?

CaptainCook808

Hi all;

First off, my wife and I were so happy with the service last time we had them double the tip charge on our bill. And I'll likely do that again going forward. I like that because the great service is due to a ton of people, including ones I don't interact with (those clean towels are washed by someone). I want to get it to everyone.

So question 1: In this case should I let crew members know I did that so they know their specific efforts were appreciated? Or is that awkward? Because the immediate effect is basically $1.00/mo. (If every passenger did it then it's 1K/mo and that's real money.) We did not tell anyone because it didn't feel right to tell anyone.

Question 2: When I do this, what direct tips should I do in addition? How much and to who?

thanks - dave

3 hours ago, CaptainCook808 said:

So question 1: In this case should I let crew members know I did that so they know their specific efforts were appreciated? Or is that awkward?

Telling the crew that you tipped double seems awkward to me.

A thank you note to the entire crew telling them how much you appreciated all that they did to make your time on board a delight is a different story.  Another way is positive comments of appreciation for the entire crew and for specific crew members in guest surveys and in notes to heads of departments (in which you can ask the head to share your note with their team).

• Like 7

I know that some posts above are sarcasm based on how often this question is asked. But for new members here it is helpful. And maybe the old answers wherever they are need to be updated with current standards.

So I too would appreciate your thoughtful responses.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Peregrina651 said:

Telling the crew that you tipped double seems awkward to me.

A thank you note to the entire crew telling them how much you appreciated all that they did to make your time on board a delight is a different story.  Another way is positive comments of appreciation for the entire crew and for specific crew members in guest surveys and in notes to heads of departments (in which you can ask the head to share your note with their team).

A note to the General Manager before the end of the cruise goes a long way.  In our experience, the outstanding crew members are recognized within their departments and are very gratified that their efforts have been appreciated.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, drink2me said:

I know that some posts above are sarcasm based on how often this question is asked. But for new members here it is helpful. And maybe the old answers wherever they are need to be updated with current standards.

Perhaps if this question didn’t show up as a new thread every other day…

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, drink2me said:

This topic is always incendiary as you'll no doubt see. This is Viking's tipping policy from their FAQ's (applies to NA pax, other geographies have different standards):

What is the tipping policy?

Our onboard staff is dedicated to providing you with the best cruise experience possible, and it is customary to give gratuities in recognition of their service. How much you choose to tip is a personal matter and completely at your discretion. To save you worry over whom to tip and how much, we automatically add a discretionary hotel and dining charge of $17.00 USD per guest per day to your shipboard account, which appears on your final invoice at the end of your cruise. This charge will be shared among the onboard staff who helped support and provide your cruise experience, including the waitstaff, stateroom stewards, buffet stewards, galley staff, laundry staff and others. Please note this charge excludes bar gratuity; a 15% gratuity is automatically added to bar, beverage, wine and deck service tabs. Should you wish to make changes to the gratuity amounts or pay in cash, stop by Guest Services at any time. You may also wish to tip your local excursion guides and/or drivers; we suggest doing so in cash at the end of each tour. For your convenience, you can pre-purchase gratuities at our standard recommended rate in My Viking Journey. This charge will be shared among the onboard staff who helped support and provide for your cruise experience, including your Program Director, waitstaff, stateroom stewards, galley staff, nautical staff and others.

A couple of observations on the above. The discretionary charge can be increased (as did the OP) or removed from your bill should you wish it. In the end, whether you tip at all, how much and to whom is entirely up to you - you will find that looking for 'standards' in this area is fruitless.

We now return you to your current program ... 🥌🍺

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Capt., your post reminded me of the great response to the intro of all the crew marching into the theatre for us to thank them. The group that got the biggest cheer was the laundry!

The CD reminded us that Viking considers guest comments in evaluations, when promoting. I called our three waiters (head and two assistants) superstars, in my evaluation.

I have a suspicion they’ll know that you tipped double, even without your telling them. I think it’s a great idea, but I would never do it in advance. What if, for some random, rare reason, you run into average, or worse, service? Then you could leave the std. gratuities but tip the stellar ones with additional cash.

• Thanks 1

You do realize that the staff on board don’t actually directly receive any of the “tips“ you give to Viking. From what we can tell anecdotally, the money collected as “tips“ is not distributed directly to the crew. Viking has been very good at obfuscating how the collected gratuities are used. The more cynically minded among us believe that they go straight to Viking’s bottom line.

We choose to pay the recommended “tips“, augmented by cash tips to staff that we feel have gone above and beyond.

YMMV

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, CannyScotTor said:

You do realize that the staff on board don’t actually directly receive any of the “tips“ you give to Viking. From what we can tell anecdotally, the money collected as “tips“ is not distributed directly to the crew. Viking has been very good at obfuscating how the collected gratuities are used. The more cynically minded among us believe that they go straight to Viking’s bottom line.

As has been demonstrated at great length on other threads on this topic, no one on these boards is privy to the details of Viking's compensation program and we simply do not know the specifics of how the gratuities are folded into the crew's compensation. Anecdotes are not necessarily fact.

I concur that Viking guards this information closely. It may be that they consider their compensation structure to be proprietary and a competitive advantage, and have no intention of making it known to their competition. It may be that they just don't think it's any of our business.

Personally, I accept Viking's statement that the assessed gratuities "will be shared among the onboard staff who helped support and provide your cruise experience" - irrespective of how and when they distribute the money. I don't believe that I have any right to demand that they divulge the details of their internal business processes. I do have the right to decide if I believe I'm receiving value for my overall cost - and I make that decision every cruise booking. 🍺🥌

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, CurlerRob said:

As has been demonstrated at great length on other threads on this topic, no one on these boards is privy to the details of Viking's compensation program and we simply do not know the specifics of how the gratuities are folded into the crew's compensation. Anecdotes are not necessarily fact.

I asked the hotel General Manager on the last trip if they told the crew if people made a double tip. He gave me an enthusiastic absolutely yes. Now that's taking his word for it. And that isn't the same as saying they then get the money. But his reaction seemed genuine and emotional so I will assume it does get to the crew.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, CaptainCook808 said:

I asked the hotel General Manager on the last trip if they told the crew if people made a double tip. He gave me an enthusiastic absolutely yes. Now that's taking his word for it. And that isn't the same as saying they then get the money. But his reaction seemed genuine and emotional so I will assume it does get to the crew.

Glad to hear that the GM would ensure the crew were aware of the increased contribution - that's just smart personnel management and I'd accept the statement as well.

My post was in response to the earlier one (not by you) that made the definitive statement that "the staff on board don’t actually directly receive any of the 'tips' " - that is unknown. As stated, I believe that the gratuities do flow to the crew, we just don't know the details of how or when. 🍺🥌

53 minutes ago, CurlerRob said:

I concur that Viking guards this information closely. It may be that they consider their compensation structure to be proprietary and a competitive advantage, and have no intention of making it known to their competition. It may be that they just don't think it's any of our business.

Personally, I accept Viking's statement that the assessed gratuities "will be shared among the onboard staff who helped support and provide your cruise experience" - irrespective of how and when they distribute the money. I don't believe that I have any right to demand that they divulge the details of their internal business processes. I do have the right to decide if I believe I'm receiving value for my overall cost - and I make that decision every cruise booking. 🍺🥌

I dunno.  Seems to me one video on YouTube by a current or ex-Viking employee would make it pretty easy for everyone to know Viking’s tip distribution policy.   

16 minutes ago, stephenandrew said:

I dunno.  Seems to me one video on YouTube by a current or ex-Viking employee would make it pretty easy for everyone to know Viking’s tip distribution policy.   

Had such a video appeared, it might have satisfied the posters who want to understand the minutiae of Viking's comp. systems - but I'm not aware that it has happened.

It's likely not that easy, even for employees. Here's a scenario. I'm a Viking crew member. Each month I receive my pay. A portion is a fixed amount, another portion is variable, based on the amount of gratuities paid by pax. This month, Viking tells me that my variable portion was up 10% because gratuities were up 10% to plan (or vice versa). I smile (or snarl) and cash my cheque.

Nothing in this provides any insight into whether my variable pay came from the pax on my cruises in the month, or some accumulation across ships in the fleet, or any number of other permutations. What's clear is that a portion of my compensation came from pax gratuities - the gory details are not disclosed even to me as a crew member.

FWIW, HAL has disclosed that gratuities are pooled on a fleetwide basis and distributed to crew on a periodic basis. That means that the grats indeed do go to the crew, but there's no way to determine that your particular gratuity dollar went directly to crew on your cruise - and I'm not sure why that would matter, as it works out in the end. HTH a bit. 🍺🥌

11 hours ago, CaptainCook808 said:

The four crew members we tipped had similar reactions. Viking does SOMETHING to keep their best employees happy. Honestly, I think Viking’s success depends on the great service.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, CannyScotTor said:

We choose to pay the recommended “tips“, augmented by cash tips to staff that we feel have gone above and beyond.

YMMV

Even if you tip in cash at the end of the cruise? We tip the stewards and those in the main dining room. 

One thing I'd like to add to all this. I worked my way through college washing dishes. If they would let me, I'd go into the dish room and give each of the dishwashers $100 because it's such a crappy job that gets no thanks or recognition.

So doubling the tips is how I can get tips to all the people who we don't see, but are key to a great voyage. The dishwashers, the laundry, the cooks, etc.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, onlyslightlymad said:

Okay, I bite.  You are scaring me.  One of the reasons I have booked Viking is because 'tips' are included.  Thank god.  Please don't tell me I'm wrong.

You aren't wrong, tips are included for UK, NZ and Aus passengers. 

Only the USA contingent worry about them 🙂

• Like 2

1 hour ago, KBs mum said:

You aren't wrong, tips are included for UK, NZ and Aus passengers. 

Only the USA contingent worry about them 🙂

For us in the US, they are not included in our cruise fare. A daily gratuity is posted to our shipboard acct. but not until near the end of the cruise. Of course some of us like to reward our favorite crew members with a little extra.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, May B said:

For us in the US, they are not included in our cruise fare. A daily gratuity is posted to our shipboard acct. but not until near the end of the cruise. Of course some of us like to reward our favorite crew members with a little extra.

Gratuities are added to U.S. pax accounts but are not required and one can opt out just by letting Guest Services know before the last day of the cruise.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, May B said:

Thing is, when we visit a country with a tipping culture we don't worry about it, we just add the minimum to be polite, or go with any auto amount if about the same (easy to check online in advance) and give it no further thought. 

If someone goes well above and beyond we give an amount equivilent to a drink or two, asking them to have a drink on us after work. A traditional thank you among equals in UK and some other non tipping cultures 

• Like 2