Airline Stike in Italy, Vista embarkation delayed

shepherd really

41 minutes ago, debbyma said:

Apparently Oceania's statement of all passengers being aboard wasn't entirely correct.  We heard some were still not with us this morning.

Perhaps meant all passengers who had a realistic chance of making it for embarkation.  I feel for those that didn’t, but you don’t hold up the entire cruise for a few.  I’m sure they have a cutoff point, so perhaps if 97% of all paying customers have arrived, they sail. Could be any %, but I’m sure they have one.  

51 minutes ago, debbyma said:

Apparently Oceania's statement of all passengers being aboard wasn't entirely correct.  We heard some were still not with us this morning.

Yes at least us and our family who were on a separate booking with a different TA so I’m sure we’re not the only ones

11 minutes ago, Pompey Lil said:

Yes on an Oceania flight

More correctly, on a flight arranged by Oceania. 
I am sorry that you missed your cruise! Many on this board will suggest in future it would be preferable to fly in at least 1 day before embarkation. These things happen.
This is especially important information for anyone using this forum to learn about cruising before taking that first plunge.

Again, I’m so sorry this happened. I’m wondering if I will have to skip my next European vacation (for a different reason).

Please share w us if O reimbursed you at all? Did you have travel insurance? Thx for sharing and we feel your pain!

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, PhD-iva said:

More correctly, on a flight arranged by Oceania. 
I am sorry that you missed your cruise! Many on this board will suggest in future it would be preferable to fly in at least 1 day before embarkation. These things happen.
This is especially important information for anyone using this forum to learn about cruising before taking that first plunge.

Again, I’m so sorry this happened. I’m wondering if I will have to skip my next European vacation (for a different reason).

Please share w us if O reimbursed you at all? Did you have travel insurance? Thx for sharing and we feel your pain!

Yes, a flight arranged by Oceania. We do normally opt to travel the day before but as this was a 35 day cruise & we have to arrange house sitters we felt it was a long time in itself and stuck with the same day flight. We were also under the impression that if you took the cruise/fly option it was their responsibility to get you there for the cruise. 
we do have travel insurance which in itself was a fortune for a long duration, expensive cruise. We are yet to contact them as home today & exhausted. 
We are in contact with Oceania who I must say so far have been excellent, we are just waiting to hear further about a resolution as we have booked flights for the 2nd part of the cruise from Rome.  (At our expense, as it was a back to back cruise) 

• Like 1

I am surprised they could not get you to the another  port on the itinerary

That is too bad that you returned home (where ever that is) only to fly back to Italy

Hopefully no  air or rail strike on that day

Unfortunate misconception about the cruise line having control of the airlines

They will usually try to get you on a flight to the port  or the next port if they can   but if no seats are available   it will not happen

I am so very sorry this happened to you, especially since it was such an extended trip.    

We were on an Azamara cruise last Oct-Nov out of Rome, cruising islands in the Med.  There was another airline fiasco in Rome that closed the airport around 10 am that morning.  The Captain's family was flying in from the UK and they were among the many who missed the ship.   A lot of passengers took 2 days to connect up but I imagine flights were not as packed as they are right now at the height of the summer travel season. 

54 minutes ago, Pompey Lil said:

Yes, a flight arranged by Oceania. We do normally opt to travel the day before but as this was a 35 day cruise & we have to arrange house sitters we felt it was a long time in itself and stuck with the same day flight. We were also under the impression that if you took the cruise/fly option it was their responsibility to get you there for the cruise. 
we do have travel insurance which in itself was a fortune for a long duration, expensive cruise. We are yet to contact them as home today & exhausted. 
We are in contact with Oceania who I must say so far have been excellent, we are just waiting to hear further about a resolution as we have booked flights for the 2nd part of the cruise from Rome.  (At our expense, as it was a back to back cruise) 

https://www.commissionegaranziasciopero.it/calendario-scioperi

I would suggest you follow the above site.  It is from the Italian government and it lists all strikes scheduled throughout the country and is updated frequently.  You will note it is in Italian, but first go to the calendar and see if there are any scheduled strikes on dates that could impact your travel plans. If there are, there are plenty of translation apps that you could use to find the specifics. I used this on travels in Italy in May and I have to admit having access to it provided peace of mind of knowing what potential issues were out there.  Luckily none of my travel days were impacted by any strikes. 

9 minutes ago, EJL2023 said:

I would suggest you follow the above site.  It is from the Italian government and it lists all strikes scheduled throughout the country and is updated frequently.  You will note it is in Italian, but first go to the calendar and see if there are any scheduled strikes on dates that could impact your travel plans. If there are, there are plenty of translation apps that you could use to find the specifics. I used this on travels in Italy in May and I have to admit having access to it provided peace of mind of knowing what potential issues were out there.  Luckily none of my travel days were impacted by any strikes. 

Fortunately, Google Chrome will translate it into English.

24 minutes ago, EJL2023 said:

Thank you 👍

1 hour ago, LHT28 said:

I am surprised they could not get you to the another  port on the itinerary

That is too bad that you returned home (where ever that is) only to fly back to Italy

Hopefully no  air or rail strike on that day

Unfortunate misconception about the cruise line having control of the airlines

They will usually try to get you on a flight to the port  or the next port if they can   but if no seats are available   it will not happen

No, to clarify I didn’t think they would have any control of the airlines but that it was their responsibility to get you to the cruise.

50 minutes ago, Pompey Lil said:

No, to clarify I didn’t think they would have any control of the airlines but that it was their responsibility to get you to the cruise.

Who sent you home? How was that decision made instead of having you later meet up with the ship?

I’ve seen people show up on day 2 or 3, because of flight issues, but I don’t think I’ve ever seen anyone return home except on maybe a short Carribean cruise.

3 hours ago, Pompey Lil said:

We were also under the impression that if you took the cruise/fly option it was their responsibility to get you there for the cruise

As always....the devil is in the details.  From the Terms and Conditions (bold added):

In making these arrangements, Oceania Cruises acts only as an agent on the Guest's behalf, and does not operate, control, or supervise any airlines and is not responsible for carriers failing to meet schedules....Due to government regulations, if you are delayed or unable to board at embarkation, you may not be able to board at a later time. In such event, Carrier shall have no liability to refund any cruise or cruise tour fares.

and

Oceania Cruises shall not be liable for delay or inability to perform caused by or arising out of strikes, lockout or labor difficulties or shortages, whether or not Oceania Cruises is a party thereto, or any other acts of nature, force majeure or other circumstances beyond the control of Oceania Cruises.

and

Notwithstanding that Oceania Cruises, at the guest's option, arranges air transportation, hotel accommodations, ground transfers, shore excursions and other services with independent suppliers of the services, it should be understood that Oceania Cruises, being a for profit entity, earns a profit on the sale of optional services.

The "they will get me to the cruise" belief is one of the the greatest urban legends of cruising.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Pompey Lil said:

we do have travel insurance which in itself was a fortune for a long duration, expensive cruise.

Because the amount being insured against was "expensive".  Insurance cost is based on the coverage provided.

2 hours ago, Pompey Lil said:

Why would you make that assumption?  Was that ever explicitly stated in any documents you received?

Asking so as to prevent others from making this same mistake.

34 minutes ago, FlyerTalker said:

As always....the devil is in the details.  From the Terms and Conditions (bold added):

In making these arrangements, Oceania Cruises acts only as an agent on the Guest's behalf, and does not operate, control, or supervise any airlines and is not responsible for carriers failing to meet schedules....Due to government regulations, if you are delayed or unable to board at embarkation, you may not be able to board at a later time. In such event, Carrier shall have no liability to refund any cruise or cruise tour fares.

and

Oceania Cruises shall not be liable for delay or inability to perform caused by or arising out of strikes, lockout or labor difficulties or shortages, whether or not Oceania Cruises is a party thereto, or any other acts of nature, force majeure or other circumstances beyond the control of Oceania Cruises.

and

Notwithstanding that Oceania Cruises, at the guest's option, arranges air transportation, hotel accommodations, ground transfers, shore excursions and other services with independent suppliers of the services, it should be understood that Oceania Cruises, being a for profit entity, earns a profit on the sale of optional services.

The "they will get me to the cruise" belief is one of the the greatest urban legends of cruising.

Wow!

1 hour ago, ORV said:

Are you wowing over the T & C? It's been that way for a long time. Nothing new there. 

It is the specific language used. I never expected  ship to wait for  very late excursion; however, I thought that they would arrange for passengers to get to the next port. This is our first O cruise. 

38 minutes ago, SATaxman said:

It is the specific language used. I never expected  ship to wait for  very late excursion; however, I thought that they would arrange for passengers to get to the next port. This is our first O cruise. 

First O cruise or not, you should know this from your prior ones. You'll find this kind of language throughout the industry.  Folks really need to read the T&C before they buy the cruise, before they buy any additional products and before they actually leave home.  Make sure that any travel insurance you obtain covers the areas where you see potential exposure.  And be sure to distinguish between marketing fluff and the black and white "fine print".

Is that easy?  No, it's not.  But it's part of the due diligence in protecting yourself.  Assume nothing.

6 hours ago, Pompey Lil said:

You flew *home* instead of to another port to meet the ship?

Did your travel insurer advise you to do that?

I'm surprised that they would refund the cost of the entire cruise (or part of a 2-part cruise?) rather than pay for a flight (or two) and perhaps a couple of hotel nights to get you to meet your ship.

And *we* would rather try to meet up with the ship than go home, and what... then fly all the way back again for the next part of the B2B cruise?

GC

22 minutes ago, GeezerCouple said:

You flew *home* instead of to another port to meet the ship?

Did your travel insurer advise you to do that?

I'm surprised that they would refund the cost of the entire cruise (or part of a 2-part cruise?) rather than pay for a flight (or two) and perhaps a couple of hotel nights to get you to meet your ship.

And *we* would rather try to meet up with the ship than go home, and what... then fly all the way back again for the next part of the B2B cruise?

GC

They did not say where they were when they turned back to home.  If we had been in that situation, and had done our own air. we would have simply flown to either Kotor or Athens to catch-up with the ship.  Strange that "O" did not advocate for one of those options.  

Hank

34 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

They did not say where they were when they turned back to home.  If we had been in that situation, and had done our own air. we would have simply flown to either Kotor or Athens to catch-up with the ship.  Strange that "O" did not advocate for one of those options.  

Hank

Perhaps Steve will chime in here (if he notices this thread?), but my understanding of insurance IN GENERAL (not necessarily travel insurance) and other liabilities is that one is supposed to do one's best to mitigate the costs of the other party.

In other words, if it would cost $2,500 for extra plane tickets and a couple of hotel nights to get to the second or third port, one should do that rather than expect the insurer to refund all the costs of a multi-week cruise because of weather or a strike/missed connection heading to the *start* of the cruise.

I could be wrong, obviously!

Imagine an ATW cruise of, say, 180 days.  If there was a missed connection immediately (totally out of the control of the traveler), would the insurer agree that the traveler could just 'go back home' and get back the full cost of that very expensive cruise???

But we would WANT to "catch up" rather than miss the entire cruise anyway.

GC