Saturn's Iceland and Norway's Arctic Explorer-July 19-August 2 LIVEish

Clay Clayton

2 hours ago, LindaS272 said:

Are you originally from the UK? I at first wrote “Oh you Brits!”—but your profile says Georgia. 🤔😆

US Georgia. Lived in Germany for a number of years. Have traveled in Europe and frequently needed the WC in short order. 

• Haha 2

July 20th - Ísafjördur (afternoon)

When we returned from Vigur Island, Mike, Gary, and Robert walked downtown while Scott and I returned to tr ship.  After lunch at the Aquavit (I had  a seared tuna salad from the Pool Grill and a bowl of soup from the special soup bar set up on the Terrace) we headed for our included excursion. 

Our first stop was at a pretty waterfall where tradition holds that for each cup you drink that you gain a year of life.  We will see if that holds. 😂

From there we drove about 15 minutes along the coast and through a tunnel to a fishing village where we had a delicious snack of smoked lamb on rye bread while we were entertained by a singer (with a great sense of humor) serenading us with Icelandic songs. 

We then drove a few minutes to a historic fishing museum where we learned about the traditional methods. From there we drove back to the ship. 

Dinner was in the World Cafe and was very tasty. I had lamb shanks while others enjoyed the seafood dishes. After dinner we went to the Welcome Show and then went back up to Explorer's.  It is so very strange for it to be full daylight at 11pm....especially when it suddenly became midnight when we moved our clocks forward. 😂.

Of course all this sunlight makes plants grow really large as you can see from the dandelions. 

IMG_5401.jpeg

IMG_7090.jpeg

IMG_7089.jpeg

IMG_7091.jpeg

IMG_7096.jpeg

IMG_7099.jpeg

IMG_7100.jpeg

• Like 6

Late to the party, but we booked this itinerary for August 2025 while aboard our first VO cruise in May.  Thank you so much for the informative, detailed, and lively commentary on your cruise.  Will have to give those lamb chops for breakfast a try in a couple of years!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CCWineLover said:

Clay - glad to see the old fisherman is still there!  He was a kick! 

IMG_4843(2).thumb.JPG.b148f29e763406cae5e0c2b5239d296a.JPG

Especially when our German guide (who didn't speak much Icelandic) had to remind him to tell us about why Icelandic fishermen are said to have six fingers😂

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Clay Clayton said:

Especially when our German guide (who didn't speak much Icelandic) had to remind him to tell us about why Icelandic fishermen are said to have six fingers😂

What I recall from doing this excursion on our Iceland trip two years ago, was that the fishermen had gloves with six fingers, so that if one glove finger got a hole in it, they could just move over to the extra glove finger.  

Edited by SantaFe1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, LindaS272 said:

There were other dessert with pistachios on our cruise (7/5-7/19). I didn’t see the pastry chef this time or I would have asked. @Clay—inquire at the WC for the pastry guy and ask him what gives!

Chef's Table tonight  - dessert featured crumbled/chopped pistachios as a garnish.  Seemed like a waste of perfectly good pistachios but there you have it - crumbled gastronomic dreams.  😥

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, SantaFe1 said:

What I recall from doing this excursion on our Iceland trip two years ago, was that the fishermen had gloves with six fingers, so that if one glove finger got a hole in it, they could just move over to the extra glove finger.  

Close!  It has two thumbs, because during rowing the thumb would wear out first so when it got a hole, they just flipped the mitten over and used the other thumb. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Clay Clayton said:

Close!  It has two thumbs, because during rowing the thumb would wear out first so when it got a hole, they just flipped the mitten over and used the other thumb. 

Yes!  That’s it .  I guess I will have to go back to Iceland— in a heartbeat!!

12 minutes ago, SantaFe1 said:

Yes!  That’s it .  I guess I will have to go back to Iceland— in a heartbeat!!

Yes, I remember the 2 thumbs explanation - barely, and that was just a month ago.!

And also, yes, Iceland definitely is calling.  I yearn to return!  Next year we will.

3 hours ago, Clay Clayton said:

For all those suffering in the heat wave, sorry (not sorry😂)..:.oh we saw our first glacier this evening when we passed Bear Island. Another day at sea tomorrow😀 

You are on hallowed waters. Jan Mayen and Bear Island were two of the primary waypoints for the WW2 convoys to Murmansk. The entire route is the final resting place for many thousands of Allied and German sailors.

I envy your good fortune - when we passed by both islands, they were invisible in the fog and rain.

So glad you're having a fine trip - I'll be very interested to hear your opinions about Svalbard ... cheers! 🍺🥌

• Like 3

8 hours ago, CurlerRob said:

You are on hallowed waters. Jan Mayen and Bear Island were two of the primary waypoints for the WW2 convoys to Murmansk. The entire route is the final resting place for many thousands of Allied and German sailors.

I envy your good fortune - when we passed by both islands, they were invisible in the fog and rain.

So glad you're having a fine trip - I'll be very interested to hear your opinions about Svalbard ... cheers! 🍺🥌

We were in fog all day yesterday, it cleared about the time we got to bear island.  The sea was like glass and this morning is very calm. Had heard stories that might not be the case so happy to have smooth sailing. 

• Like 3

July 22-Sea Day

Just finished breakfast which included a favorite of mine from the Living Room pastry case!  I was told not to publicize it too much but I can't help myself.  After sharing my disappointment that the bun that cannot be named was no longer on the menu with several folks in high positions onboard, I was told to visit the Living Room bar this morning for a very special surprise😀. We all got one and took up to breakfast...ok, I got two😂

Shhhh, don't tell anyone but if you're onboard you have until 11 am to go get one. 

IMG_7121.jpeg

IMG_7120.jpeg

IMG_7119.jpeg

IMG_7122.jpeg

• Like 16

For all those who thought I wouldn't do it, I'm along with Mike, Gary, and Scott are now members of the blue nose society!   And as you can see below, our Roll Call organizer photobombed our picture after he also made the plunge.

IMG_1082.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Clay Clayton said:

Oh, I'll never again feel guilty about asking for extra hangers! Saw this as I passed the room steward's closet near our room this morning😂

IMG_7118.jpeg

Good to know - I always need lots of extra hangers 

• Haha 1