Saturn's Iceland and Norway's Arctic Explorer-July 19-August 2 LIVEish

Clay Clayton

Had a visit to the bridge this afternoon. Who knew they still kept a handwritten log book😂

There have been a couple of whale sightings but so far I haven't😢

We did pretty miserable at Trivia again today. We had no idea what a grouping of Hippos was called😂 Hope we make it into the tie-breaker at least once🤞

IMG_7140.jpeg

IMG_7139.jpeg

IMG_7141.jpeg

IMG_7138.jpeg

IMG_7137.jpeg

IMG_7136.jpeg

IMG_7135.jpeg

IMG_7134.jpeg

IMG_7133.jpeg

IMG_7132.jpeg

• Like 6

5 hours ago, Clay Clayton said:

Oh, I'll never again feel guilty about asking for extra hangers! Saw this as I passed the room steward's closet near our room this morning😂

IMG_7118.jpeg

I always ask for additional hangers.  One time they ran out of wooden ones and my steward asked if the wire ones were ok.

25 minutes ago, Clay Clayton said:

Had a visit to the bridge this afternoon. Who knew they still kept a handwritten log book😂

There have been a couple of whale sightings but so far I haven't😢

We did pretty miserable at Trivia again today. We had no idea what a grouping of Hippos was called😂 Hope we make it into the tie-breaker at least once🤞

IMG_7140.jpeg

IMG_7139.jpeg

IMG_7141.jpeg

IMG_7138.jpeg

IMG_7137.jpeg

IMG_7136.jpeg

IMG_7135.jpeg

IMG_7134.jpeg

IMG_7133.jpeg

IMG_7132.jpeg

Covid is really over if they are doing bridge tours again.

• Like 4

Loving the updates so far. Really setting us up for our Saturn cruise at the end of August.

Clay - how did the bridge tour come about if you don’t mind me asking? Is this something Viking offers widely to guests?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Geoffa30 said:

Loving the updates so far. Really setting us up for our Saturn cruise at the end of August.

Clay - how did the bridge tour come about if you don’t mind me asking? Is this something Viking offers widely to guests?

Yes, Clay, I was also going to ask - how did you get the bridge tour?  Just ask at Guest Services?   Did they let you take pics or did you "sneak" them?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Geoffa30 said:

I visited guest services shorty after embarking and signed up for it. They were offered several days/times. Galley tours were also offered.  At our Meet & Greet, someone asked about it and they set one up just for CC also. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, CCWineLover said:

Yes, Clay, I was also going to ask - how did you get the bridge tour?  Just ask at Guest Services?   Did they let you take pics or did you "sneak" them?

We were encouraged to take pictures.  😀

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, Clay Clayton said:

I visited guest services shorty after embarking and signed up for it. They were offered several days/times. Galley tours were also offered.  At our Meet & Greet, someone asked about it and they set one up just for CC also. 

Excellent, thanks. Will hopefully get the opportunity when we’re onboard.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Clay Clayton said:

July 22-Sea Day

Just finished breakfast which included a favorite of mine from the Living Room pastry case!  I was told not to publicize it too much but I can't help myself.  After sharing my disappointment that the bun that cannot be named was no longer on the menu with several folks in high positions onboard, I was told to visit the Living Room bar this morning for a very special surprise😀. We all got one and took up to breakfast...ok, I got two😂

Shhhh, don't tell anyone but if you're onboard you have until 11 am to go get one. 

IMG_7121.jpeg

IMG_7120.jpeg

IMG_7119.jpeg

IMG_7122.jpeg

Whoo Hoo!!!  I knew they'd come through for you.  So awesome!  I can almost taste it now.  

Which one of your traveling companions is in the top photo?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, aungrl said:

Whoo Hoo!!!  I knew they'd come through for you.  So awesome!  I can almost taste it now.  

Which one of your traveling companions is in the top photo?

That's our friend Gary from Houston 

2 hours ago, Clay Clayton said:

That's our friend Gary from Houston 

Okay, thanks!  I sort of had it figured out from the blue nose picture.  Very impressed with that one, btw. 😊

On 7/21/2023 at 3:22 AM, Clay Clayton said:

July 21-Sea Day

First time I've heard the Fog Horn!  It's sunny but not much of a view. 

Started the day with the breakfast of Champions!

IMG_7106.jpeg

darn -- forgot to eat lamb chops for breakfast on our TA in April -- but I'll get another chance in October as we round out the year of 4 cruises (never to be repeated -- all due to Covid disruptions) I remember reading about you eating them on some forum or other and meant to make a mental note...  This time I won't forget!

• Like 1

I had to cut short a visit to family on the east coast due to covid, so am enjoying cruising vicariously with you instead.  Sadly, Covid is not over, even for the well-vaccinated and fairly cautious.  My husband caught a case probably in Barcelona after our TA in spring, and now I have this one -- also probably due to air travel.  There's only so much you can do to stay safe.   

Anyway, thanks for taking the time to post -- and for all the tips.  I'll definitely ask for a galley tour this next time.  We leave for 3 weeks on B2B trips -- Rome to Athens, then Athens to Istanbul on the Sky -- October 5.  Can't wait!

• Like 1

Had a nice day in Longyearbyen today.  Slept late, rode the complimentary shuttle into town at 11.  It drops you off in the center of town at a shopping area that is anchored by a supermarket (closed until 3 in Sundays) so we walked back down the pedestrian "street" which has shops and cafes.  The street ends at the Museum/University which we think we will visit tomorrow.  From there since we were halfway back to the ship, we just walked the rest of the way arriving back a few minutes after noon.  

After a delicious German lunch (bratwurst, spatzle, red cabbage, and really delicious desserts) we headed out for the Glacier Safari we had booked independently with HurtigurtenSvalbard.  The 12 person speedboat was docked right next door so easy peasy.  We left and headed out past the cliffs where the birds jump-thankfully we are a couple of weeks early so didn't have to see that. From there it was about 40 minutes at 28kts/hr to the Glacier Face.  We were 500 meters from the 30-40 meter tall. We heard lots of booms and popping by no major calfing😢.  We did get served delicious warm cinnamon buns and warm black current juice. It was chilly but glad we didn't bother to pack the puffy coats.  Haven't even needed the windbreakers yet🤞

Noe back on the ship and had planned on eating a casual dinner in the World Cafe but discovered that the menu in the Restaurant for tomorrow night had changed and has several things we want so, thanks to our Cruise Director Damian we now have reservations at the Chef's Table for tonight and have canceled the ones we made upon embarkation for tomorrow evening.  I'll do a separate post on it. 

IMG_7147.jpeg

IMG_7150.jpeg

IMG_7154.jpeg

IMG_7152.jpeg

IMG_7157.jpeg

IMG_7160.jpeg

IMG_7159.jpeg

IMG_7164.jpeg

IMG_7166.jpeg

IMG_7168.jpeg

IMG_7171.jpeg

IMG_7174.jpeg

IMG_7177.jpeg

IMG_7180.jpeg

• Like 10

We had the Norwegian dinner tonight at Chef's Table. It greatly exceed our expectations after hearing others say it wasn't very good.  We found the reindeer consummé tasty, the cucumber first course (substituted as salmon doesn't like either of us😢) very interesting, the lamb dish delicious (especially the loin!), and the dessert very satisfying -no matter whether you think it resembles a reindeer or a viking😂.  We almost missed out on the interesting potato pancakes when I asked why did we have bread plates but no bread.  Our server was very apologetic and quickly brought the delicious pancakes...but they are served on a dessert plate set between us both....so why the B&B plates?🤔😂

Anyway, we both enjoyed it very much (the other three decided to eat at the buffet) and both said afterwards, that was so much better than it read on the menu or than we expected. 

There is a "Dancing Under the Midnight Sun" party taking place up on the pool deck.  They have the roof slightly open so it very comfortable and everyone seems to be enjoying dancing or watching people dance.  We decided we would do wash😂 #OldBeforeOurTime

It is truly strange to be so light at 10:00pm and to see Kayakers heading out!

IMG_7184.jpeg

IMG_7185.jpeg

IMG_7186.jpeg

IMG_7187.jpeg

IMG_7188.jpeg

IMG_7190.jpeg

IMG_7192.jpeg

IMG_7193.jpeg

IMG_7194.jpeg

IMG_7189.jpeg

• Like 8

3 hours ago, CCWineLover said:

Clay - what an amazing day you've had.  Great pictures.  Great tour!

Can't wait to visit Svalbard next year.

Continue to enjoy your wonderful cruise.  Carpe Diem 🙂

If you want to be sure of getting an independent tour, book early.  Several people today stopped by "our" boat before we left trying to find a trip with room.  We booked at the end of March and one other couple said they had booked in January.  I know when our friend Gary tried to book in May, it was sold out.  Of course the boat only seats 12.  Others who booked the cruise late were able to get seats on the bigger boat for the "Captain's Choice" trip.  I think from reading the HurtigurtenSvalbard and Viking excursions description that our included "wildlife safari" tomorrow will be on the same boat that did independent Captain's Choice today...I'm hoping we don't end up going to the same places we did yesterday. Our friends Scott and Robert didn't book it when we did (they were doing another Viking excursion that canceled due to lack of participation) so booked the included in the last couple of weeks, but theirs is scheduled for 7 am which means they have to meet at 6:35😳. So they are gonna let us know if it's a repeat in which case we might not go🤔

• Like 2

Clay,

My first chef table was  the Erling menu. Erling is a nice Scandinavian name! 

It was delicious.  but if I remember we had a dessert that had lingonberry's in it.   Had it it on the TA from San Juan to Barcelona. 

Thanks for the pictures of  the meal. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Clay Clayton said:

We had the Norwegian dinner tonight at Chef's Table. It greatly exceed our expectations after hearing others say it wasn't very good.  We found the reindeer consummé tasty, the cucumber first course (substituted as salmon doesn't like either of us😢) very interesting, the lamb dish delicious (especially the loin!), and the dessert very satisfying -no matter whether you think it resembles a reindeer or a viking😂.  We almost missed out on the interesting potato pancakes when I asked why did we have bread plates but no bread.  Our server was very apologetic and quickly brought the delicious pancakes...but they are served on a dessert plate set between us both....so why the B&B plates?🤔😂

Anyway, we both enjoyed it very much (the other three decided to eat at the buffet) and both said afterwards, that was so much better than it read on the menu or than we expected. 

There is a "Dancing Under the Midnight Sun" party taking place up on the pool deck.  They have the roof slightly open so it very comfortable and everyone seems to be enjoying dancing or watching people dance.  We decided we would do wash😂 #OldBeforeOurTime

It is truly strange to be so light at 10:00pm and to see Kayakers heading out!

IMG_7184.jpeg

IMG_7185.jpeg

IMG_7186.jpeg

IMG_7187.jpeg

IMG_7188.jpeg

IMG_7190.jpeg

IMG_7192.jpeg

IMG_7193.jpeg

IMG_7194.jpeg

IMG_7189.jpeg

This was our first Chef's Table menu several years ago and we loved it.  I'm glad you got to experience it and enjoyed it, too!  

• Like 2

Hi Clay we are enjoying your posts, as we are boarding on 16 August! We booked this over a year ago and cannot believe it is almost here! My mouth is watering for the pastry that won’t be named 🤣 hopefully they’ll keep making them and with your “insider “ tip we’ll be able to partake. Enjoy the rest of your adventure! Kathryn and Jeffrey 

• Like 2

On 7/22/2023 at 6:06 AM, Clay Clayton said:

For all those who thought I wouldn't do it, I'm along with Mike, Gary, and Scott are now members of the blue nose society!   And as you can see below, our Roll Call organizer photobombed our picture after he also made the plunge.

IMG_1082.jpeg

What fun! You brought back a great memory from when we became blue nose society members last July on Jupiter. 

You mention in another post about how strange it is to be light so late. I think we made it to sunset once. It may have been at midnight or later. I told my friends at home that is was just always light. Light when I got up and light when I went to bed.

Thanks for this memory and the great report.

• Like 1