Just booked our 3rd Azamara cruised it's a gem!

Bimmer09

A cruise from Istanbul is a bucket list item so I have spent many hours finding one. We have just come off an amazing Celebrity Apex to Iceland and the UK cruise but X isn't visiting Istanbul in 2024 with an E Class ship. So I looked at Cunard, Oceania, Viking, Silversea and Seabourn and finally settled on Azamara.

I found our preferred Aft Verandah Plus on the Onward. I selected it but the website thought it should fill cabin 6001 instead. I held 7121 which I wanted for 24 hours and called Azamara on Monday. I called at 9.a.m Miami time and the recorded voice warned me that call volumes would necessitate a wait even though the lines had opened at that very minute. I had seen this as a complaint on the BBB site-people struggling to get through to Azamara and discuss their many problems under the new ownership/new website.

After a wait of just 30 seconds I was through and got the cabin we wanted plus $300 OBC. Winning!

Here is the itinerary that no one else could match. If you have visited any of these places and have good or bad things to say I'm all ears!

Fri 17-May TO Sat 18-May 2024 Istanbul, Turkey Embark - (May 17) 10:00PM (May 18)
Sun 19-May 2024 Canakkale (Kepez), Turkey Docked 8:00AM 4:00PM
Mon 20-May 2024 Kavala, Greece Docked 8:00AM 8:00PM
Tue 21-May 2024 Thessaloniki, Greece Docked 8:00AM 10:00PM
Wed 22-May 2024 At Sea Cruising - -
Thu 23-May TO Fri 24-May 2024 Athens (Piraeus), Greece Docked 9:00AM (May 23) 8:00PM (May 24)
Sat 25-May 2024 Santorini, Greece Tendered 8:00AM 9:00PM
Sun 26-May 2024 Chania, Crete, Greece Tendered 8:00AM 6:00PM
Mon 27-May 2024 Olympia (Katakolon), Greece Docked 1:00PM 8:00PM
Tue 28-May 2024 Corfu, Greece Docked 8:00AM 8:00PM
Wed 29-May 2024 At Sea Cruising - -
Thu 30-May 2024 Venice, Italy

Debark

7:00AM -

We are excited to sail Azamara again as we were impressed by the food and the service on our first 2 sailings. I will say though that the food and the service on  Celebrity Apex was on par with Azamara. We will return with raised expectations as a result.

Hotels in Istanbul and Venice have already been booked. When excursions open up we'll make our choices.

A photo/video report will appear on this board when the time comes.

Norris

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Bimmer09 said:

A cruise from Istanbul is a bucket list item so I have spent many hours finding one. We have just come off an amazing Celebrity Apex to Iceland and the UK cruise but X isn't visiting Istanbul in 2024 with an E Class ship. So I looked at Cunard, Oceania, Viking, Silversea and Seabourn and finally settled on Azamara.

I found our preferred Aft Verandah Plus on the Onward. I selected it but the website thought it should fill cabin 6001 instead. I held 7121 which I wanted for 24 hours and called Azamara on Monday. I called at 9.a.m Miami time and the recorded voice warned me that call volumes would necessitate a wait even though the lines had opened at that very minute. I had seen this as a complaint on the BBB site-people struggling to get through to Azamara and discuss their many problems under the new ownership/new website.

After a wait of just 30 seconds I was through and got the cabin we wanted plus $300 OBC. Winning!

Here is the itinerary that no one else could match. If you have visited any of these places and have good or bad things to say I'm all ears!

Fri 17-May TO Sat 18-May 2024 Istanbul, Turkey Embark - (May 17) 10:00PM (May 18)
Sun 19-May 2024 Canakkale (Kepez), Turkey Docked 8:00AM 4:00PM
Mon 20-May 2024 Kavala, Greece Docked 8:00AM 8:00PM
Tue 21-May 2024 Thessaloniki, Greece Docked 8:00AM 10:00PM
Wed 22-May 2024 At Sea Cruising - -
Thu 23-May TO Fri 24-May 2024 Athens (Piraeus), Greece Docked 9:00AM (May 23) 8:00PM (May 24)
Sat 25-May 2024 Santorini, Greece Tendered 8:00AM 9:00PM
Sun 26-May 2024 Chania, Crete, Greece Tendered 8:00AM 6:00PM
Mon 27-May 2024 Olympia (Katakolon), Greece Docked 1:00PM 8:00PM
Tue 28-May 2024 Corfu, Greece Docked 8:00AM 8:00PM
Wed 29-May 2024 At Sea Cruising - -
Thu 30-May 2024 Venice, Italy

Debark

7:00AM -

We are excited to sail Azamara again as we were impressed by the food and the service on our first 2 sailings. I will say though that the food and the service on  Celebrity Apex was on par with Azamara. We will return with raised expectations as a result.

Hotels in Istanbul and Venice have already been booked. When excursions open up we'll make our choices.

A photo/video report will appear on this board when the time comes.

Norris

Norris, that looks like a brilliant cruise. I'm looking forward to your report, photos and lyrical content.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Glad to hear you had a great cruise on the Apex.  My 3 Celebrity cruises this year were on par (and for the most part better) than my 2 sailings with Azamara this year.  Happy to sail either line - it's the itinerary that I'm after.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Xcelsior said:

Glad to hear you had a great cruise on the Apex.  My 3 Celebrity cruises this year were on par (and for the most part better) than my 2 sailings with Azamara this year.  Happy to sail either line - it's the itinerary that I'm after.

Thanks for the comment Xcelsior, so it's not just me making the comparison. I last cruised X in September 2021 and wouldn't have compared the two but on the Apex everything changed. X have upped their game in covering the basics of food and service.

I've got 10 months to wait to see how Azamara now compares. I'm expecting it to be good. The itinerary is fantastic.

Norris

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Bimmer09 said:

Thanks for the comment Xcelsior, so it's not just me making the comparison. I last cruised X in September 2021 and wouldn't have compared the two but on the Apex everything changed. X have upped their game in covering the basics of food and service.

I've got 10 months to wait to see how Azamara now compares. I'm expecting it to be good. The itinerary is fantastic.

Norris

I similarly loved the Edge.  I will say though that my sailing on the Millennium in November was even better.  Probably the best food, service and crew I have ever experienced.

• Like 2

We used to be Celebrity fans, but about ten years ago, we evolved out of their target demographic. We don’t like their two-tier system, and resent being forced into Aqua Class to get the minimum level of service/restaurant/food that we enjoy. 

We are much happier booking with Azamara. Their minimum product pleases us much more than any of the Celebrity offerings. The small showers have never really been an issue for us in 15 years, and everything else hits the spot for us. YMMV, of course.

• Like 7

12 hours ago, Bimmer09 said:

I last cruised X in September 2021 and wouldn't have compared the two but on the Apex everything changed. X have upped their game in covering the basics of food and service.

Norris

Quoting myself as there was an error- I last cruised Celebrity in September 2019! Azamara was November  2021 (review in signature)

Norris

Edited by Bimmer09
correcting dates

On 7/19/2023 at 9:57 AM, lisiamc said:

We used to be Celebrity fans, but about ten years ago, we evolved out of their target demographic. We don’t like their two-tier system, and resent being forced into Aqua Class to get the minimum level of service/restaurant/food that we enjoy. 

We are much happier booking with Azamara. Their minimum product pleases us much more than any of the Celebrity offerings. The small showers have never really been an issue for us in 15 years, and everything else hits the spot for us. YMMV, of course.

You may want to give them a try again.  The food and service in the MDR on Celebrity is very good again.   They had a problem for a while, but I honestly think it's great.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Xcelsior said:

You may want to give them a try again.  The food and service in the MDR on Celebrity is very good again.   They had a problem for a while, but I honestly think it's great.

How about the food in Blu?  We used to do AQ class.  Haven’t been on X since 2015. Not interested in anything as large as E class.  Prefer M class ships.

7 minutes ago, takemewithyou said:

How about the food in Blu?  We used to do AQ class.  Haven’t been on X since 2015. Not interested in anything as large as E class.  Prefer M class ships.

But why pay as much as Azamara and only go to the same huge ports you've already been to?  [Except the Caribbean, where there are no interesting ports – so you need to view the ship as the destination...]

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

But why pay as much as Azamara and only go to the same huge ports you've already been to?  [Except the Caribbean, where there are no interesting ports – so you need to view the ship as the destination...]

I know…you have a point.  Looking for Transatlantics with stops, which Azamara does not have.  They have BERMUDA and that’s about it.

2 minutes ago, takemewithyou said:

I know…you have a point.  Looking for Transatlantics with stops, which Azamara does not have.  They have BERMUDA and that’s about it.

This spring we did a 7-night cruise in the Azores with Ponant, followed by a week on our own in Madeira.  Both places were very interesting [not so Edenic as to lure us as a retirement home, although we met an American couple who were planning exactly that!] and either would make a great stop on a crossing.

14 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

This spring we did a 7-night cruise in the Azores with Ponant, followed by a week on our own in Madeira.  Both places were very interesting [not so Edenic as to lure us as a retirement home, although we met an American couple who were planning exactly that!] and either would make a great stop on a crossing.

Yes we have been to Madeira on our first Azamara cruise back in 2008.   Doing a TA this Fall that goes there again. 

My most recent 2 experiences in Blu were not as good as the MDR (surprisingly).  I used to love Blu.  With respect to ports, Azamara goes to a heck of a lot of big ship ports too, let's not forget that.   it's certainly not all small ports all the time.   Far from it.  Even the late night/overnight sales pitch is an over-emphasized benefit.  My most recent Onward cruise in the Caribbean, we pulled out of port every single time before the big ships did, and they usually do a White Night on an overnight or late night call, so if you want to attend that you may as well be at sea (if that was actually feasible).   There are pros and cons for each.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Toronto Guy said:

My most recent 2 experiences in Blu were not as good as the MDR (surprisingly).  I used to love Blu.  With respect to ports, Azamara goes to a heck of a lot of big ship ports too, let's not forget that.   it's certainly not all small ports all the time.   Far from it.  Even the late night/overnight sales pitch is an over-emphasized benefit.  My most recent Onward cruise in the Caribbean, we pulled out of port every single time before the big ships did, and they usually do a White Night on an overnight or late night call, so if you want to attend that you may as well be at sea (if that was actually feasible).   There are pros and cons for each.

I haven’t read too many good posts on X board when I  check periodically about BLU….sadly.  We used to love it, too.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Toronto Guy said:

Look at this itinerary, and tell me that X has ever had anything like it (2 overnights in Rouen, docked in Honfleur until 10 pm, docked in Cherbourg until 11 pm):

Azamara France 2025 Itinerary (Azamara) copy.pdf

• Like 2

5 hours ago, takemewithyou said:

We’ve done the southern transatlantic route twice with Azamara - 2 stops in Brazil, Cape Verde, Madeira & 2 stops in the Canaries before finishing in Lisbon.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, takemewithyou said:

I haven’t read too many good posts on X board when I  check periodically about BLU….sadly.  We used to love it, too.

We too used to love Blu, but our experience 3 years ago led us to the conclusion that the Blu concept was no longer any kind of priority.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Xcelsior said:

I would have to agree based my recent Celebrity Apex cruise to Iceland. 

We ate in one of the 4 small MDRs each night and supplemented those with two visits to Eden where the food is beyond anything served on Azamara (for a $65 pp cover). The food tasted as good as it looks in these photos and the service was impeccable.

02840479-7368-4AAE-8142-090D2F8344D6_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.1af7faa16d553710a7af95e0033461bf.jpeg

baked Brie en croute with walnut and poached pear

72B5EE0B-68F1-438D-8CA1-F9F23BCD3943_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.23409ba33249900e5fc7d4f578917d6f.jpeg

Coquilles St. Jacques

F879FF60-C56D-4EB5-BE60-79EE50F02B77_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.a1d208373b36b74a148d00c053affbe3.jpeg

Salad

6A913E41-767C-4FE4-8AEF-8F82B1ABC785_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.69e68248db1e9fd0c4d4b8820e4fb071.jpeg

Boeuf en croute/Wellington

0250CECC-2383-4042-8286-8A4EFA667CC1_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.ad53a1269ca34429d0f3b2bfd514a266.jpeg

Mille Feuille

AFA4A338-EE9A-4A22-92C3-87CD509E0E62_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.7d27091b81e772745f6228175bcda21b.jpeg

Sacher torte

Each serving team included a Sommelier who was quick to get us started with glasses of wine (not included in fare)

I'll pop back later with some pics from Eden, my best dining experience at sea to date...

Norris

1 hour ago, Bimmer09 said:

I would have to agree based my recent Celebrity Apex cruise to Iceland. 

We ate in one of the 4 small MDRs each night and supplemented those with two visits to Eden where the food is beyond anything served on Azamara (for a $65 pp cover). The food tasted as good as it looks in these photos and the service was impeccable.

02840479-7368-4AAE-8142-090D2F8344D6_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.1af7faa16d553710a7af95e0033461bf.jpeg

baked Brie en croute with walnut and poached pear

72B5EE0B-68F1-438D-8CA1-F9F23BCD3943_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.23409ba33249900e5fc7d4f578917d6f.jpeg

Coquilles St. Jacques

F879FF60-C56D-4EB5-BE60-79EE50F02B77_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.a1d208373b36b74a148d00c053affbe3.jpeg

Salad

6A913E41-767C-4FE4-8AEF-8F82B1ABC785_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.69e68248db1e9fd0c4d4b8820e4fb071.jpeg

Boeuf en croute/Wellington

0250CECC-2383-4042-8286-8A4EFA667CC1_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.ad53a1269ca34429d0f3b2bfd514a266.jpeg

Mille Feuille

AFA4A338-EE9A-4A22-92C3-87CD509E0E62_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.7d27091b81e772745f6228175bcda21b.jpeg

Sacher torte

Each serving team included a Sommelier who was quick to get us started with glasses of wine (not included in fare)

I'll pop back later with some pics from Eden, my best dining experience at sea to date...

Norris

Completely agree with you re: Eden - it was  phenomenal on the Edge in April.  

11 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Look at this itinerary, and tell me that X has ever had anything like it (2 overnights in Rouen, docked in Honfleur until 10 pm, docked in Cherbourg until 11 pm):

Azamara France 2025 Itinerary (Azamara) copy.pdf 28.6 MB · 11 downloads

Re: itineraries - if you re-read my post Host Jazzbleau,  I didn't say Azamara didn't have small ports on their itineraries, I said it wasn't all small ports and there are lots of ports with the big ships too (on many, many itineraries), including my sailing in January where there was a large ship in port with us every day for 12 nights.  I can post several here if I was interested in demonstrating same.  As host, I would hope you would be a little less confrontational/defensive in your replies please. Perhaps not intended, but it comes off that way.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, nordski said:

We too used to love Blu, but our experience 3 years ago led us to the conclusion that the Blu concept was no longer any kind of priority.

Blu went from wonderful to acceptable to mediocre - and we haven't sailed Celebrity since. That was  5 years ago.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hello Xcelsior, I'll jump in here to say I found Host Jazzbeau's post to be neither defensive nor confrontational.

This thread started as a discussion re. 'itinerary gems' and the 2025 France Intensive with Azamara is a winner for me.  (I booked it too, and had to go with a V1 rather than my preferred location in a V3 due to very brisk sales.) 

Of course you are correct, there are times when larger ships are sharing port services with Azamara.  And that is when we slip past the long lines and gas-belching busses.  We stroll into town and we take our time, and maybe we feel a little bit special because we're sailing on a ship that can dock as easily in Capri as in Civitavecchia.

At least, that's my preference - 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

I know I'm blunt [being a lifelong NYer does that to you], but I wasn't trying to be confrontational or defensive – just showing what people mean when we say that Azamara goes to small ports that big ships can't.  Of course they also go to big ports – because people also want to experience them.  But even there, as @Ithikan says, the experience of the big port from a small ship is more intimate – for example, in Barcelona Azamara usually docks right at the World Trade Center so you can walk right onto Las Ramblas.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I am Elite Plus on X, but haven’t sailed on X since January 2020.. since then we sailed 3 times on Viking Ocean. My next cruise is on X in September. Hoping we will not be disappointed in Blu. In March we will be on Azamara Journey. Haven’t been on Azamara since 2008. So looking forward to our return and to a wonderful cruise experience. 

• Like 2