Club Orange Math

CNSJ

16 hours ago, vicd1969 said:

Great deal. Go for it. Do they still have the CO bathrobes (though you can't take them home with you) in addition to the tote bag?

They did when I was on in December.

15 hours ago, CNSJ said:

Was able to secure the upgrade to VA on Deck 6.  Not sure why the cabins on Deck 5 are cat V?  The lifeboats block a bit of view down on Deck 5, so i consider deck 6 superior.

Either way, Club Orange saved (book VH and then upgrade to VA) me $125 a person over the straight VA booking.

What's the difference between a category "V" room and a category "VA" room? 

My husband and I are new to HAL, though experienced cruisers on other lines.  We are booked on Koningsdam in an aft facing balcony (VS) for the 4/5/2024 Solar Eclipse & Hawaii crujise.  We feel lucky to have been able to snag this cabin, and do not particularly want an upgrade.  I am just now becoming aware of this CO option (if available), and do not understand what the cost would be and what advantages it would bring other than the somewhat exclusive dining venue.  Are there expedited initial boarding & check-in lines, which would be of great value to me because of mobility issues?  I am intrigued by the rave reviews of CO, but don't understand why.  What am I missing?  Thanks in advance for any clarification.

David

2 minutes ago, d&a Delaware said:

My husband and I are new to HAL, though experienced cruisers on other lines.  We are booked on Koningsdam in an aft facing balcony (VS) for the 4/5/2024 Solar Eclipse & Hawaii crujise.  We feel lucky to have been able to snag this cabin, and do not particularly want an upgrade.  I am just now becoming aware of this CO option (if available), and do not understand what the cost would be and what advantages it would bring other than the somewhat exclusive dining venue.  Are there expedited initial boarding & check-in lines, which would be of great value to me because of mobility issues?  I am intrigued by the rave reviews of CO, but don't understand why.  What am I missing?  Thanks in advance for any clarification.

David

We booked an aft facing Verandah cabin, the last one available, for our Koningsdam Nov 4th cruise.  A month later we decided to buy CO for the CO dining room and the priority boarding and tendering. San Diego can be a very crowded boarding port so with CO we will not be in long lines, our cruise also had 2 tender ports. We did not want an upgrade in cabins as the Aft facing Verandah was already the highest category, so HAL gave us each a $100 OBC instead. The math for us worked perfectly.

We also booked CO for our NE/Canada cruise next year on the Volendam. We booked a B category Vista Suite towards the aft end of the ship and the CO got us upgraded an A category midship Vista Suite. Without CO we would have booked the A Vista Suite, but by doing what we did, the upgrade paid for the CO and now we get the priority boarding and tendering on a cruise with 4 tender ports. We also get anytime dining and with CO we get a special priority line for the MDR seating since there is not a CO dining room on the Volendam.

• Like 1

I realized last week when I was heading out for a couple of days and needed to take my laptop, that my CO bag worked quite well to carry it and the cables/cords.  I then realized that this older CO bag was different from my more recent ones.  It just says Holland America Line on the side.  The newer ones say Club Orange.

I'd better take care of that older bag.  It's probably going to be collectible one day! 😁

p.s.  I've given away more than I've kept (and I think I have at least 3 now).  And I told my cabin steward on Rotterdam that I didn't need yet another (it was 3 legs, all of which I had CO).  But I did request the regular tote bag that was given out on the TA.  A cloth bag with the 150th Anniversary logo on it.  I'm positive that one will be collectible, right? 🤣

• Like 1

4 hours ago, d&a Delaware said:

David

I’m going by memory - I believe your cruise is 15+ days.  That being the case CO costs $15 pp per day.

Once you eat in the MDR on a Pinnacle Class ship (which the Koningsdam is) you will really appreciate the CO dining room.  At least, I did.  

Your morning room service menu is more expansive than that of regular cabins and there are free mimosas in the CO dining room in the morning.

Along with that you get priority embarkation (for check in), priority for tendering (often don’t need a ticket - just show your card), a special line up at guest services which means you don’t wait in that long line up with way too many people.

There are probably more perks that I can’t recall.  There is a good description of Club Orange on the HAL site.  Your cruise is a popular one, so if you are considering it, I would get it done.  It is capacity controlled and once it’s sold out you can’t book it.

Hope this helps.

• Like 1

On 7/19/2023 at 12:32 PM, vicd1969 said:

Great deal. Go for it. Do they still have the CO bathrobes (though you can't take them home with you) in addition to the tote bag?

I liked it so much i bought one with my OBC!

• Like 2

Just booked back on the NS for 12/24. After previously paying for CO on both the NS and Rotterdam it was a given I wanted CO if for no there reason than the great CO dining area. CO was available for the 12/24 cruise and with the deck plans up on my PC, my HAL PCP listed what I could up grade to and I made my choice. For we "poor folk" who don't have the funds, nor do we need a suite, the priority boarding is also a nice addition.

• Like 2

Love CO for room upgrade. I am looking at a Nov 2024 TA using FCD and adding CO. Question- since this date is so far out, and I’d have to prepay CO when it is added, if I cancel the trip is CO fee refundable or not?

Extra credit question- if I book this online and add HIA now, there is a surcharge for HIA booking as a single. Does anyone know if I add HIA later (meaning in a week or two) if I can still add HIA and get the early booking bonus (or is early booking only good if you add HIA at initial booking)?

thanks for sharing any experiences!

12 hours ago, Ready2go11 said:

Love CO for room upgrade. I am looking at a Nov 2024 TA using FCD and adding CO. Question- since this date is so far out, and I’d have to prepay CO when it is added, if I cancel the trip is CO fee refundable or not?

While it is technically non refundable, it is refunded if you cancel your cruise before final payment / before penalties begin.  This has been reported in the past and I asked when I booked it for our upcoming Rotterdam cruise.

12 hours ago, Ready2go11 said:

Extra credit question- if I book this online and add HIA now, there is a surcharge for HIA booking as a single. Does anyone know if I add HIA later (meaning in a week or two) if I can still add HIA and get the early booking bonus (or is early booking only good if you add HIA at initial booking)?

Good question.  If you add HIA later, it will not be the same HIA you get with the early booking bonus.  It will be the standard one (surf wifi instead of Premium, SBP instead of Elite, no crew appreciation) There was also OBC with the Early Booking Bonus when I booked - so that combined with the crew appreciation made the math work out well enough for me.  Not sure if the OBC is still offered or not?

Do double check with your TA or travel advisor but I believe I am correct.  Another question I asked at the time.  LOL.

Thanks Jacqui!

I am only in the planning stages at this point and considering how to maximize perks/minimize costs if I go solo. I may wait until we are onboard the October Rotterdam trip to book for a little extra OBC. 

There is still an early booking bonus available for an April 24 TA booked so hopefully it will still be available on the Fall 2024 cruise this October. 

12 hours ago, Haljo1935 said:

Hey Nancy - if I may ask, what was the charge for the CO robe?

Not Nancy, but it was around $50-$55 and it was offered as part of a “deck sale” offering both the regular and CO robe.   I bought it on the Koningsdam two years ago.  It is heavy but I didn’t have to fly!

15 hours ago, Ready2go11 said:

Background - There are three cruise purchase categories:  Basic, Advantage (not available on line), and HIA.  The latter two are fully refundable until you enter the final payment due window.  Club Orange charges as well as deposits, if purchased when booking as part of Basic fare booking, will be forfeited if you make any changes to your booking (learned the hard way in 2021).  If you purchased CO with an Advantage fare from a Travel Agent or HAL, you will not forfeit your Club Orange and deposits.

Extra insurance can be purchased to protect your deposit, including Club Orange, in the final payment due date window.

Not sure you can add HIA to a Basic fare without losing your initial deposit as HIA is a different fare not an add-on.  Ask your travel agent, HAL PCC, or call HAL Customer Service.

Extra credit - As a solo traveler, you pay for two people (you can call it a surcharge) but you save the port fees for the second person no matter what fare category of your booking.  Club Orange is purchased per person.  If you rebook at the refundable HIA fare, you will receive all appropriate bonuses at the time of your new booking.

As an experienced solo cruiser, my advice is to book at the Advantage fare (refundable and about $300 higher) if you have a large deposit (Club Orange and standard deposit) that would be refundable if you cancel/change.  If you book the Basic fare, without Club Orange, and use a single FCD, you risk only losing $100f you make any changes.  

Bottom line for your TA - Book Club Orange with HIA fare now using a FCD.  Total deposit will be $100 + Club Orange for a solo traveler and fully refundable/changeable.

1 hour ago, Ready2go11 said:

Thanks Jacqui!

I am only in the planning stages at this point and considering how to maximize perks/minimize costs if I go solo. I may wait until we are onboard the October Rotterdam trip to book for a little extra OBC. 

There is still an early booking bonus available for an April 24 TA booked so hopefully it will still be available on the Fall 2024 cruise this October. 

I don’t think we are charged double for the HIA part of our cruises.  I know I looked at it hard for our October cruise and wasn’t.  Ditto for my cruise next year.

Go in and do a dummy booking - one as one person and the other as 2 and look at the difference.

I just did a couple of dummy bookings for the fun of it to make sure as I was sure I was only charged double for my room but not the HIA portion.  the difference in the fare was far more than the port taxes.  It worked out to the HIA portion for one person by my math.

If you find the same thing, you don’t need to risk losing the Early Booking bonus waiting until October and can book it now.

I did the test booking last night both ways and it was not double for HIA but was $140 more than just the single cost so an extra $10 per day???  I did test bookings on big box site too and as a single the HIA w early booking bonus (I was pleased it was available) was exactly $700 as a solo and not the $840 using HAL’s website. They have different cancellation and final payment dates so I will have to consider that but may book through them since they offer the store credit bonus upon completion of the trip.

An aside - I have booked on board HAL and transferred to big box and then I have gotten best of all worlds. I love a deal (so I can book more trips)!

thanks everyone for the help!

If you do not see yourself using features/benefits of Club Orange (CO), besides dining in CO in the evenings at $25/person/day, what is the difference between CO and MDR?  We walked pass it every evening on our way to MDR from Half Moon Bar and it was always about 1/2 full.  I have read that there are additional food items, but no example provided.  For us the $50/day for both of us equals $600 over the course of our 12 day sailing.  

We are sure too, that we will eat in the Speciality dining venues 3-4 times, so using 4 times, would now have us paying $600 for 8 days which is $75 per day.

So.......strictly on using on CO benefit of dining  for 2/3 (8 days) would you pay $600 for 8 days.  Just asking to see if there is enough value in that one feature.

29 minutes ago, shipshape sam said:

If you do not see yourself using features/benefits of Club Orange (CO), besides dining in CO in the evenings at $25/person/day, what is the difference between CO and MDR?  We walked pass it every evening on our way to MDR from Half Moon Bar and it was always about 1/2 full.  I have read that there are additional food items, but no example provided.  For us the $50/day for both of us equals $600 over the course of our 12 day sailing.  

We are sure too, that we will eat in the Speciality dining venues 3-4 times, so using 4 times, would now have us paying $600 for 8 days which is $75 per day.

So.......strictly on using on CO benefit of dining  for 2/3 (8 days) would you pay $600 for 8 days.  Just asking to see if there is enough value in that one feature.

I think a person has to run the math on this for their own situation. My husband hates (hates!) standing in line, so less lines with CO is of benefit. We haven't sailed with CO yet, but we have enjoyed Club Class on Princess quite a lot. The additional menu items were almost always very good. I have three cruises booked with HAL right now, our first sailings on HAL. The last one that I booked just the other day is for September 2025. I was able to book the lowest ocean view guarantee and then upgrade with CO to the cabin I was after - the highest ocean view. For us, this is all fantastic bang for the buck.

1 hour ago, shipshape sam said:

If you are only going to dine there for 2 or 3 days, I would say probably not worth it.

I’m on the ship for 15 days so a) it reduces the price and b) it’s worth it to me even though I have specialty dining booked.

What is the difference?  MDR can be hectic, loud and erratic service.  It depends on the ship but I tried the MDR on the Koningsdam for one lunch and on dinner and was SO glad I had Club Orange.  Service there was much better, more personalized and food was good.

I am 5* and don’t need the perks.  I already have them (other than the coveted tote bag).

But the dining in CO and guest relations special line made it worth it for me on a Pinnacle Class ship.  I used the upgrade feature on the K.  I didn’t on the Rotterdam as I had chosen my cabin and like what I have and no wish to upgrade.  Once I saw the difference on the K, I booked CO fast before it was gone on the Rotterdam.  JME and JMO.  I’m a tad fussy 😉 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, shipshape sam said:

Not enough value for you perhaps, but that means more availability for the rest of us who love Club Orange. BTW on Pinnacle Class ships with CO dining rooms,  having dinner there means we enjoy a much smaller, quieter and a better service venue that is more like fine dining instead of dining with 400 hundred people in a MDR that is more like a banquet.  We also get one extra entree that is not served in the MDR and is prepared in a totally different kitchen than the MDR. The extra entrees are not shown in advance as the chefs choose and prepare them based on the itinerary of the cruise and availability of ingredients.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, maggiev said:

Sounds like there is a need for a special Guest Services line.  Are there that many issues that you know you’ll need guest services on every cruise?

Standing in a long line once on a cruise is one too many.

• Like 4