Never book early!

Bandit2301

5 minutes ago, Bandit2301 said:

Sadly I stopped using a TA as everything I could do myself as last time I used a TA the cruise lines wouldn't allow anyone but the TA to call and make changes. Has that changed by chance cause it seems like a good idea to use a TA! 

What difference does that make?  

If  you book direct,  you have to call the cruise line.

If  you book through a TA , you have to call the TA.

In both cases,  you have to call someone.  What's the difference?

BTW,  even if  you book through a TA, there are somethings you can call NCL and change, there are somethings you cannot.  

For example, if you've booked through a TA, you can still book shore excursions without going through the TA.  You can book your entertainment and dinning without going through the TA.  Essentially, the only time you must work through a TA is if the change affects the TA commission.  Not many things do.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

What difference does that make?  

If  you book direct,  you have to call the cruise line.

If  you book through a TA , you have to call the TA.

In both cases,  you have to call someone.  What's the difference?

BTW,  even if  you book through a TA, there are somethings you can call NCL and change, there are somethings you cannot.  

For example, if you've booked through a TA, you can still book shore excursions without going through the TA.  You can book your entertainment and dinning without going through the TA.  Essentially, the only time you must work through a TA is if the change affects the TA commission.  Not many things do.

It's an extra step instead of doing it myself. It takes out the middle man that could prolong the process. The TAs I have used before take a day or more to get back with me about changes I could do myself the same day. Just my thoughts as I prefer not to have a middle man most times.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Bandit2301 said:

Sadly I stopped using a TA as everything I could do myself as last time I used a TA the cruise lines wouldn't allow anyone but the TA to call and make changes. Has that changed by chance cause it seems like a good idea to use a TA! 

Well, that is not true. For example, you can't handle a price adjustment yourself, you either need the TA or the PCC's assistance. Another thing a TA can do for you is to explain that what you are seeing isn't a price drop since the offer has changed due to airfare no longer being offered for your cruise.

Given that the services of a TA/PCC come at no cost to you whatsoever, it seems strange that you would want to DIY instead of taking advantage of their knowledge and services.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Bandit2301 said:

It's an extra step instead of doing it myself. It takes out the middle man that could prolong the process. The TAs I have used before take a day or more to get back with me about changes I could do myself the same day. Just my thoughts as I prefer not to have a middle man most times.

OK, but by forgoing a TA you're forgoing a 8% or more price savings.

Plus, since my TA is a small business, I always talk to the same person who has a personal interest in my cruises.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Bandit2301 said:

BTW this is for a cruise to the Philippines which I thought would be popular and get higher the closer it was. I was wrong. My mistake! 

Which cruise are you taking?  We are landing in Manila 10/18/23.

People only like when companies change prices due to supply/demand in their favor.  If prices increase would people expect to have to pay more?  Airlines have been doing this for years. It works both ways, if you’re willing to wait with the risk of not getting exactly what you want then thats a risk which needs to be factored in, might it cost more, probably, but you get what you want.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Sthrngary said:

The Words, "I will Never Cruise this Brand Again" happens more time than I can count.  It is always one sided, it is on all brands and it simply is the way it is. 

The price of gas and food have increased dramatically in the last couple of years. That does it!!

I'm never driving or eating again!!!

Edited by schmoopie17
  • Haha 11

1 hour ago, RocketMan275 said:

OK, but by forgoing a TA you're forgoing a 8% or more price savings.

Plus, since my TA is a small business, I always talk to the same person who has a personal interest in my cruises.

Same with me. Our TA is actually the president of his cruise agency. He pretty much had to lay everyone off when Covid stopped cruises, but is now beginning to get more agents working for him. 

23 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

Same with me. Our TA is actually the president of his cruise agency. He pretty much had to lay everyone off when Covid stopped cruises, but is now beginning to get more agents working for him. 

My TA operates a three person office.  Herself and two assistants.  She too had a rough time during the  pandemic.  You'd be surprised at the number of CC posters who use her services.  

@Bandit2301 Do you have the Latitude numbers? I understand it's your first NCL cruise, but when you booked the cruise you received the confirmation email (the one with pdf attached), right?

You'll find the latitude numbers there, send an email to pricedrop@ncl.com with the latitude numbers, reservation number, details of the sailing (dates, ship, destination), and ask for the one time price drop FCC.

And, in future, when you see a cruise you like, go ahead and book it no matter how far ahead and pay the deposit. Then watch it go up or down! When it goes down call NCL to re-price the cruise, as long as it's before the final payment date.

Do you have a PCC or someone with NCL that you can contact? If not, best to get someone.

We just completed our 29th cruise with NCL, and have just made final payment for our 30th one coming up in November. This cruise had several price drops since we booked it back in early Sept 2022, and we saved $3800. I contacted our PCC about 6 times! 

On the other hand, last year's cruise that we went on had vast price increases in the 2 years between the time we booked (yep, 2 years in advance) and the sailing ... prices tripled!

So it pays to book cruises far in advance and watch the space!

• Like 4

I personally like booking early because you get the best choices on cabins, if that matters. Around 130 days out, right before final payment, I check the price on selected cabin category to make sure that the price didn't drop substantially.  You can always take advantage of booking a last minute cruise but sometimes you get a good deal without the FAS perks.  

• Like 3

4 hours ago, azappraiser said:

I booked our Alaska cruise 667 days in advance... I had a specific cabin in mind, on the itinerary and date that we want... the suite was available... now it's ours... & we have absolutely no regrets.

@dobiemom and @azappraiser Booked our DOS Alaskan cruise >600 days out as well. Wanted that room specifically and only 2 on the ship. Prices actually went up for the remaining room which was also booked approximately 450 days out. I checked the prices of that remaining DOS every week for a half a year to check for prices drops and never regretted it. However, other room classes actually went down a bit - interiors / ocean-views dropping the most (literally hundreds of dollars). 

We book most of our cruises 1-2 years in advance to accommodate my work schedule plus looking for specific experiences / itineraries, ships, and rooms. 95% of the time it's in a Haven or cruise line with a "ship-within-a-ship" experience. If they don't have a room we like, or the Haven / suite area is sold out we don't book. It's that important to us therefore requires early booking. However, our TA is always on the lookout for deals, and if we happen to notice a significant price drop, he contacts the company and we will often get OBC or other perks (premium wifi, 2nd person free, etc). 

Because of the type of room we book, there are rarely significant price drops but that is a very different experience depending on your original room / package / booking agent. We hit the jackpot with our TA who we've used for almost a decade.

Warmest, Amy

• Like 3

I am very lucky.I live in Fort Lauderdale.Both ports easy to get to.Am retired and single,so mostly supplement.NCL has great last minute prices for interiors.

16 hours ago, Bandit2301 said:

This is the first time I am cruising with NCL and I don't think I will ever be booking again with them.....

I booked my cruise about 8 months in advanced as sometimes cabins sell out. I just looked at the exact same cruise. There is a price drop of over $600 ....

I'm just a little frustrated that I get penalized because I wanted to book early. 

Every price(including cruise fares) is subject to offer and demand. it`s called market economy.

Every cruise line has a modern IT system with a lot of algorithms so that based on current demand an current occupancy the cruise fare is updated regularly.

This is ALWAYS your risk if you book early.

Apart from that i never understood the problem of you guys. You were satisfied with the price at the time of booking, otherwise you wouldn`t have booked.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Re using a TA or booking directly with NCL, for years we did the latter.  Then we met a great couple through a Roll Call, who shared a private tour with us on Shetland Islands.  Said he was a TA, who specialized in cruises.  A few more years went by, we had an issue with the NCL PCC not responding to our requests, and we called our Roll Call friend.  Turns out he’s a TA with a large company.  He always responds promptly re bookings, price drop reductions, etc., and he gives us half of his commission after final payment.   If we’re sharing the cabin with my sister and he knows we get free specialty dining, he’s often able to add the same perks for her, at no extra cost.  The guy’s a treasure!  We’re kicking ourselves for not booking with him sooner😰

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, PatJim said:

Re using a TA or booking directly with NCL, for years we did the latter.  Then we met a great couple through a Roll Call, who shared a private tour with us on Shetland Islands.  Said he was a TA, who specialized in cruises.  A few more years went by, we had an issue with the NCL PCC not responding to our requests, and we called our Roll Call friend.  Turns out he’s a TA with a large company.  He always responds promptly re bookings, price drop reductions, etc., and he gives us half of his commission after final payment.   If we’re sharing the cabin with my sister and he knows we get free specialty dining, he’s often able to add the same perks for her, at no extra cost.  The guy’s a treasure!  We’re kicking ourselves for not booking with him sooner😰

Asking fellow cruisers who they book with is a great way to find a wonderful TA.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

My TA operates a three person office.  Herself and two assistants.  She too had a rough time during the  pandemic.  You'd be surprised at the number of CC posters who use her services.  

Mine was down to himself and one assistant, and is just getting back to getting some of his old staff back. TAs had it particularly tough during the Covid pandemic. Lots of work with cancellations both by cruise lines and passengers. And none of that brings in commissions. No one was sailing, no commissions were being paid.

Mine did say that if he had known at the beginning of the pandemic what would have happened, he would have got out of the business. Even when bookings started again, there was a delay until commissions would be received. For example, we booked a cruise in 2021, and it is finally going to sail next month.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, luv2kroooz said:

Those September 2023 9 day cruises to Canada on Norwegian Joy for a mere $400pp are calling my name!! Good luck finding that rate 300 days in advance.

Currently listed at $479 plus $233 port fees, the return to NYC is 7 days and listed at $429.  Now I know why the 10 day cruises out of Baltimore to Quebec and the 10 day return have fallen to $569 each way.  4 more days but more expensive on Sky, inferior to Joy ship wise.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, mugtech said:

Currently listed at $479 plus $233 port fees, the return to NYC is 7 days and listed at $429.  Now I know why the 10 day cruises out of Baltimore to Quebec and the 10 day return have fallen to $569 each way.  4 more days but more expensive on Sky, inferior to Joy ship wise.

My TA is selling them for under $400 plus port. We never pay NCl price. Add in a cruise next and SH credit.  So, so tempting.

Edited by luv2kroooz
  • Like 3

I'm finding pricing a little high on 3 night sailing and was just wondering about ncl policies.  Before final payment can adjust for price drops, right? 

After final payment, if a category higher than you are booked decreases to what you paid, can you upgrade?  

I assume you'd move to whatever the current perks are if upgrading or adjusting price but what about cruisenext certificates?  If booked when allowed to double up and then later want to adjust price or move to better cabin, will they say you have to rebank a cruisenext if doubling up promo isn't available?

1 minute ago, SAmome said:

Before final payment can adjust for price drops, right? 

Reprice all you want prior to final payment.  However, if the perks change you accept the new perks.

2 minutes ago, SAmome said:

After final payment, if a category higher than you are booked decreases to what you paid, can you upgrade? 

I think there needs to be at least $1 difference in the price.

47 minutes ago, SAmome said:

I assume you'd move to whatever the current perks are if upgrading or adjusting price but what about cruisenext certificates?  If booked when allowed to double up and then later want to adjust price or move to better cabin, will they say you have to rebank a cruisenext if doubling up promo isn't available?

Yes, they will return any cruise next certificates that don't meet the terms of the current promo if you reprice. Had that happen a few months ago, I just reapplied the certificate again a few weeks later when the "any cabin" promo came back the following week.