Celebrity becoming more vegetarian/vegan friendly

RobertoF

I noticed this during recent cruises with the addition at the lunch buffet of more plant-based fake meat dishes that are high in protein.  Celebrity calls this the "Vegan Corner" and it rotates every day.  Now Celebrity just announced the Ascent will feature a seven-course plant-based tasting menu for dinner at Eden.  I can't wait to try it.  I am happy to see Celebrity is paying attention to the growing number of cruisers who are vegetarian/vegan or just trying to get more plant-based foods in their diet.  These cruisers also tend to be younger, which bodes well for Celebrity in the long run.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

There is also a plant-based tasting menu on Daniel Boulud's Le Voyage on Beyond (and will be on Ascent as well), in addition to a regular menu and a regular tasting menu. 

Having plant-based food is a great way to attract younger cruisers (by younger I mean primarily under 40 or 50). I'm in my 60s but am eating plant-based foods more and more. We cruise on Oceania a lot and they are behind the curve on this but they're trying to provide a few more healthy options on their new ship, Vista. I was looking at menus recently on Carnival (must have been bored) and there were lots of options but extremely unhealthy (lots of barbecue, burgers, chicken sandwiches slathered with cheese and mayo, etc.): "comfort food" I guess you call it.  

Edited by MarkWiltonM
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

DH allergic to lobster, we limit alcohol, and the EDEN tasting menu did not appeal to either of us. For our EDEN splurge we think the regular EDEN menu is perfect..

Glad they will offer choices for all!

• Like 1

I can confirm that Celebrity have upped their vegan game (acc. to my 2 daughters).

We are just off the Beyond  and noticed a lot more vegan offerings in the buffet since our cruise on Apex last July including more plant based protein. The vegan corner at lunch usually had one bean option and one plant based meat substitute but lots of other vegan things scattered about. 

Also in the MDR there is now a separate vegan menu. Last year there was just a vegetarian menu which could be adapted. Our daughters found the desserts much better this year too, there was a nice variety. 

My husband and I ate in Eden one night and I noticed the vegan tasting menu. I was sorely tempted but ate off the normal menu. Our girls went to Raw on 5 and had vegan ramen followed by mango and avocado specially made “sushi”. 

Their only complaint is breakfast, although they assumed the porridge was made with milk since no lactose free labelling but I think it actually might be made with water in OVC. They got by by concocting their own version of chia pudding and fruit and avocado/mushroom toast. Decent peanut butter, porridge made with water and some vegan sausages would make the difference for them. 

• Like 1

We first sailed Celebrity over twenty years ago (!) and we were impressed they even at that point they had a separate vegetarian menu in the main dining room.  They've always seemed to be ahead of other cruise lines on providing nice thoughtful veggie options (not just a pasta, for example).  We haven't sailed Carnival but Princess, RC, HAL and NCL and they all seem to have just a few token options.  

We're on Apex for the Nov 5th Transatlantic and we plan to try the veggie tasting menu in Eden for sure!  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MarkWiltonM said:

There is also a plant-based tasting menu on Daniel Boulud's Le Voyage on Beyond (and will be on Ascent as well), in addition to a regular menu and a regular tasting menu. 

Having plant-based food is a great way to attract younger cruisers (by younger I mean primarily under 40 or 50). I'm in my 60s but am eating plant-based foods more and more. We cruise on Oceania a lot and they are behind the curve on this but they're trying to provide a few more healthy options on their new ship, Vista. I was looking at menus recently on Carnival (must have been bored) and there were lots of options but extremely unhealthy (lots of barbecue, burgers, chicken sandwiches slathered with cheese and mayo, etc.): "comfort food" I guess you call it.  

This is great to hear, as for our last two (2) sailings on Edge Class and wanting to go to D Boulud's Tasting menu and being turned down was dis-heartening. 

Now something great to look forward to on future sailings...

bon appetit and bon voyage

• Like 2

4 hours ago, grandgeezer said:

My guess is that is cheaper than meat, poultry, and seafood.

Actually, it is the preparation of 'fresh' vegetables which is not cheap when planning a menu.

And for some of us, tastier....

• Like 4

5 hours ago, RobertoF said:

I noticed this during recent cruises with the addition at the lunch buffet of more plant-based fake meat dishes that are high in protein.  Celebrity calls this the "Vegan Corner" and it rotates every day.  Now Celebrity just announced the Ascent will feature a seven-course plant-based tasting menu for dinner at Eden.  I can't wait to try it.  I am happy to see Celebrity is paying attention to the growing number of cruisers who are vegetarian/vegan or just trying to get more plant-based foods in their diet.  These cruisers also tend to be younger, which bodes well for Celebrity in the long run.

rf - when we sailed The Edge a few years back, the Chef at Eden prepared a phenomenal vegan meal for me...

On most X ships, all one needs to do is alert the dining staff or chef that a vegan meal is desired and they will do it, even off menu, as it were....

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Bo1953 said:

Actually, it is the preparation of 'fresh' vegetables which is not cheap when planning a menu.

And for some of us, tastier....

I prefer my veggies roasted…some folks just boil them, ruins them, IMHO. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, PTC DAWG said:

I prefer my veggies roasted…some folks just boil them, ruins them, IMHO. 

Nothing like roasted veggies, they just ooze with earthy goodness. Also love them grilled…. grilled fruit is heavenly. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1