How many are on current sailings?

manc

The post below is from a blogger who is on the Journey, in Norway, currently, and is part of a communication they received from the Cruise Director - 

The average age for this voyage is 70 and probably a touch higher than our typical, which I would put around 67 – itinerary and length of voyage always play a factor; longer and more unique itineraries tend to pull in a more experienced crowd.

The current guest count is 562 after a few late arrivals, and the max capacity is just under 700 – 694 if I recall correctly.
Fun fact – the Journey is one of 8 identical ships originally part of Renaissance cruise lines that were only around for a couple of years in the early 2000s. The ships were numbered R1-R8, and the Journey was R6. Azamara now has 4 of that fleet, and Oceania operates the other 4.

I’m sure I’ll see you around more, so feel free to ask anything else!

Cheers,

Stephen Millett / Cruise Director”

19 hours ago, hamrag said:

Yes, it's a UK website also associated with an equivalent in the US. Same approach, you go into cabin categories and have a full view of what's available by doing a dummy booking..

Is there a way to share which site this is? I am waiting to book a Summer 2024 trip until I board in October. Looking via Azamara, it makes it seem that options/cabins I would be interested in are not available. I am not educated on online booking sites. Thanks!

16 hours ago, bunnybeck said:

Is there a way to share which site this is? I am waiting to book a Summer 2024 trip until I board in October. Looking via Azamara, it makes it seem that options/cabins I would be interested in are not available. I am not educated on online booking sites. Thanks!

Unfortunately, that's against cc posting rules! Sorry.

We just disembarked from the Pursuit - Norwegian Fjords - there were only 283 passengers on board.   Surely sailing with so many empty cabins can’t be profitable.   I’m getting a bit concerned.   That being said, we had an amazing cruise with the best service ever.

• Like 5

On 8/6/2023 at 3:48 PM, bunnybeck said:

Just Google "cruise travel agent online" and very quickly you'll find one that shows cabin availability as you go through the booking process.

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/7/2023 at 11:57 AM, BrendaJ said:

We just disembarked from the Pursuit - Norwegian Fjords - there were only 283 passengers on board.   Surely sailing with so many empty cabins can’t be profitable.   I’m getting a bit concerned.   That being said, we had an amazing cruise with the best service ever.

That is a very low number for a Norway cruise.  They are usually very popular.  I do wonder if the high cost of air travel these days is a contributing factor?  I'm only going by my personal experience so this is purely a guess. The lack of availability of reward flights has been an issue for me in addition to the ticket price for buying one without miles.  

Phil

• Like 7

Maybe some stability in pricing rather than offer after offer would help as this in addition to the website debacle might convince people to book at the point where air prices are sensible. For us heading to Europe if I’m not on rewards it’s about -6 months long haul is -9 but always watching for the timing of the BA winter sale. Trouble is at those times Azamara cruise prices were crazier 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, excitedofharpenden said:

That is a very low number for a Norway cruise.  They are usually very popular.  I do wonder if the high cost of air travel these days is a contributing factor?  I'm only going by my personal experience so this is purely a guess. The lack of availability of reward flights has been an issue for me in addition to the ticket price for buying one without miles.  

Phil

Quite true and probably an issue particularly in North America. It also is a big expense if, as some reports indicate, the experience is interrupted by illness. So some of us of a certain age may be waiting for more “clarity” before committing.

Right now I only make a reservation with a full refund option.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, uktog said:

Maybe some stability in pricing rather than offer after offer would help as this in addition to the website debacle might convince people to book at the point where air prices are sensible. For us heading to Europe if I’m not on rewards it’s about -6 months long haul is -9 but always watching for the timing of the BA winter sale. Trouble is at those times Azamara cruise prices were crazier 

Thing is, there's nothing new about the very fluid pricing. It's been like this for as long as I can remember. I do seem to be getting so many marketing emails just now and far more than I used to (I know the non-receipt of these is a bone of contention for some, but the number I get now is crazy). Does smack of desperation. Or maybe it's just a different direction for the new owners. 

Phil 

• Like 1

I’m not sure I understand what the full refund offer is.  I presume I will lose the deposit if I cancel for no reason but would use personal cancellation insurance for medical issues - as I would for any vacation, not just a cruise.  Perhaps cancellation insurance is a country specific option.

Information from Onward last week was that going forward sailings are approx 500 to 550 during September, rising to over 600 during October and over 600 after the crossing.

I was surprised that on checking suite availability for next year my options were very limited. This was across quest, pursuit and onward.

I was told that there are many, many new guests on sailings this year and that a very large proportion of them make a future booking onboard. Of course, these new guests cannot make comparisons with the Azamara of the past but they must be satisfied enough to make another booking.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, excitedofharpenden said:

That drives me nuts. It's a waste of resources. Is there anything you can do stop it?  By ringing them up or something. 

Phil 

That’s a good idea. Sometimes I get 2 at a time (ocean and river)!

On 8/7/2023 at 6:57 AM, BrendaJ said:

And that itinerary is one of the star itineraries from Azamara! Maybe there is a lot of competition nowadays in that region? Are clients moving away from Azamara?

Ivi

Edited by travelberlin