Unpopular Opinion: I'm excited about the changes to Plus and Premier

drwbrt

Just read a blog on new charges for Standard booking....was shocked to see how things are going to nickel and dime us....who do "not need a drink package"......

To start, the line announced that its casual dining venues — including Vines, Salty Dog Gastropub, O'Malleys, Ocean Terrace, Alfredo's and Gigi's — would now offer three-course, fixed-price menus. Regular passengers will pay $14.99 for these meals, but Princess Plus and Princess Premier guests can dine for free.

The key here is that pizza at Alfredo's and Gigi's, often named some of the best pies on the high seas, was formerly included in everyone's cruise fare and now incurs a charge. Pizza at Slices on the pool deck will remain complimentary, a Princess spokesperson told TPG in an email.

We uses to like to go to Alfredo's for lunch or even supper if wanted a change....wow.....$15 US now....no thanks....

Ken

2 hours ago, kywildcatfanone said:

I didn't cruise with other cruise lines, but as far as I know the cruise card didn't track your every movement, only when you made a purchase, or opening your door, or it was recorded for going on and off the ship.

The medallion knows how long you have been by the pool, in the theater, in your room, etc.  They have basically 24/7 access to your movements for marketing purposes while on their ships.  

You're not wrong, I'm just not really concerned about any of these things.  Kudos to them if they find a way to offer me something I want to buy purely because they know how long I spent by the pool or in the theater.  I'm glad to offer this up so they can use the same data for things I want as well - improve traffic flow and better allocate crew to busy areas at busy times.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, SargassoPirate said:

Longtime cruisers who don't spend a lot on the ups and extras are probably considered deadbeats by the industry.  Just like the credit card industry considers folks who pay off their credit card every month deadbeats because the company is not making big bucks off the interest charges and still awarding points for the customer's purchases.  

There's a Netflix series called Money Explained.  Episode 2 describes credit card deadbeats.

Happy to be a cc Deadbeat.

• Like 5

8 hours ago, SargassoPirate said:

On an upcoming cruise on the Regal (I ignored my must have of a full promenade since SWMBO is sailing with me) I priced the standard on Princess and the standard at the warehouse and Princess was about 1K cheaper if I recall - however I booked it over 12 months ago before the bean counters took over. 

Again, I suspect the BB was including Plus in their base fare.  IDK about 12 months ago, but you cannot even find Standard Fare on their website based on me checking your WC example yesterday. 

As much as I am not interested in booking with them, I really have difficulty believing any agency is selling cruises for a higher list price than Princess - doing apples-to-apples voyage matching.

One thing my grandmother always said is it's the merchant's job to separate you from your money and it's your job to keep your money in your pocket unless it's something you really want for the value offered.

She lived through the great depression and the rationing of WWII.

• Like 1

It's interesting how many people are saying that this change is driving them away from Princess.  For us, as cruisers returning to Princess after a VERY long hiatus during which we sailed Celebrity, we are moving back to Princess specifically BECAUSE of their Premiere package.  Premium drinks on Celebrity is now $129 per person per day ... and don't even get us started on the costs of specialty dining and internet on Celebrity!

• Like 9

17 minutes ago, gardengalaz said:

It's interesting how many people are saying that this change is driving them away from Princess.  For us, as cruisers returning to Princess after a VERY long hiatus during which we sailed Celebrity, we are moving back to Princess specifically BECAUSE of their Premiere package.  Premium drinks on Celebrity is now $129 per person per day ... and don't even get us started on the costs of specialty dining and internet on Celebrity!

X guests must be drinking like fish to get their money's worth.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

7 hours ago, Cruise Raider said:

I really appreciate your viewpoints!  
I do tend to disagree with one point you made that it’s about the principle vs the amount.  It’s almost always, if not always, all about the money.  
Looking on the bright side, one can still get pizza upstairs by using their feet.  Both are still complimentary.  You can also not go to the GastroPub for less than it cost before.  Plus, the packages now include pretty good options for those that don’t drink any alcohol. 
Oh and I do agree that we will definitely see a price increase on the packages around the beginning of 2024.  I have a 10 day cruise booked for next year with the old plus package price and I’m tempted to upgrade to the premier package right now before that price increase I anticipate.  

As I was generalizing to the girlfriend, Princess now charges extra for anywhere you can sit down and be served, and doesn't charge extra for anywhere you stand up and get the food yourself. (And I think the pizza at Slice is essentially the same pizza you can get at Gigi's/Alfredo's, with the exception that at a quiet time, it may have been sitting under a heat lamp.)

And I wonder what they'll take from the standard fare and add to the packages to justify the next increase?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Steelers36 said:

Happy to be a cc Deadbeat.

The CC companies make a lot of money on the 3-5% fees they collect from the merchants every time you swipe a card also. Deadbeat here also but it took a long time to get to the point where I could afford to do so

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, geepmaley said:

The CC companies make a lot of money on the 3-5% fees they collect from the merchants every time you swipe a card also. Deadbeat here also but it took a long time to get to the point where I could afford to do so

well then celebrate with the family. Formal night, wear a bow tie with the button down shirt and order some champagne 🍾  🥂

Edited by c-boy
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, gardengalaz said:

We are on the Equinox in October.  I don't buy Princess packages and certainly won't buy Celebrity's.   

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Kelownabccan said:

Just read a blog on new charges for Standard booking....was shocked to see how things are going to nickel and dime us....who do "not need a drink package"......

To start, the line announced that its casual dining venues — including Vines, Salty Dog Gastropub, O'Malleys, Ocean Terrace, Alfredo's and Gigi's — would now offer three-course, fixed-price menus. Regular passengers will pay $14.99 for these meals, but Princess Plus and Princess Premier guests can dine for free.

The key here is that pizza at Alfredo's and Gigi's, often named some of the best pies on the high seas, was formerly included in everyone's cruise fare and now incurs a charge. Pizza at Slices on the pool deck will remain complimentary, a Princess spokesperson told TPG in an email.

We uses to like to go to Alfredo's for lunch or even supper if wanted a change....wow.....$15 US now....no thanks....

Ken

Just to clarify Ken, the Premier guests will be able to dine at all of the casual dining locations as often as they would like.  Those who purchased the Plus package can dine there only twice during the length of their cruise, whether their cruise is 4 days in length or 21 or more days in length.  Everyone has the option to dine at Alfredo's/Gigi's a la carte as well.  It's been reported that the newer ships with the expanded menu are charging 12.00 for the pizza while the older ships with the limited menu are charging 8.50 for the pizza.  Slices on Lido is still free, but it's inferior pizza IMHO.  The 15.00 charge at Alfredo's gives you 1 app, 1 entree/pizza and 1 dessert.  Two could share it for lunch since there is no not sharing mentioned on the menu (yet).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, geepmaley said:

Anyone know what the premier booze and wine list is compared to Plus?

The drinks max out at 15 for plus and 20 for premier.  This is a list from last year when the limits were 12 and 18.  https://profcruise.com/the-new-princess-beverage-packages-with-updated-bar-menus/

Edit:   Just found a June 2023 update on line with all of the menus from the Majestic listed.  https://eatsleepcruise.com/majestic-princess-bar-guide/

Edited by CruizinSusan70

On our Discovery cruise a couple months ago it was 5 minutes 'til closing time of 11:00pm and we were just finishing up our tiramisu.  Cooks were cleaning up for the night.  A family of 8 sat down and all ordered pizzas. We looked over at the poor cooks who were going to have to stay and cook for them all. The manager had to speak with the cooks twice who were furious, but what could they do?  Can't exactly quit your job on the high seas. 

27 minutes ago, startedwithamouse said:

On our Discovery cruise a couple months ago it was 5 minutes 'til closing time of 11:00pm and we were just finishing up our tiramisu.  Cooks were cleaning up for the night.  A family of 8 sat down and all ordered pizzas. We looked over at the poor cooks who were going to have to stay and cook for them all. The manager had to speak with the cooks twice who were furious, but what could they do?  Can't exactly quit your job on the high seas. 

The staff might have been bummed that they were no longer going to get out early, but not sure why they'd be furious when people arrived to order during serving hours. Restaurants have policies and staff are scheduled in advance on the assumption that there might be latecomers.

25 minutes ago, TheMichael said:

The staff might have been bummed that they were no longer going to get out early, but not sure why they'd be furious when people arrived to order during serving hours. Restaurants have policies and staff are scheduled in advance on the assumption that there might be latecomers.

They weren't getting out early. We're talking 5 minutes. They were finishing cleaning. Gigis was dead.

Party all ordered waters, no drinks. High probability of Standard fare passengers. Doubtful this would happen if everyone was paying for entrees. 

They would be cooking long into their closing time. All pizzas are made to order at Gigis.

Many land based restaurants close the kitchen prior to actual closing time. 

Edited by startedwithamouse

3 hours ago, startedwithamouse said:

They weren't getting out early. We're talking 5 minutes. They were finishing cleaning. Gigis was dead.

I don't think you're understanding - in a restaurant, being able to walk away at or very near closing time IS getting out early. They're probably scheduled to clean and prep for the next day until between 11:30 and midnight. They should have the ovens ready to go until 11 on the dot.

Yes, some restaurants on land stop serving before closing time because they want to stop paying their staff as quickly as possible. Many do not. And Gigi's does not. The staff all know how it works, and that getting to walk off the job at closing is a luxury, and my guess is that someone comes in late almost every day. Some of them are probably even Premier! 😱

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, startedwithamouse said:

If you're open until closing time, you should be open until closing time.  How difficult is that?

By the same token, there will always be somebody who shows up just before closing time and they should expect to be served.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, SargassoPirate said:

One thing my grandmother always said is it's the merchant's job to separate you from your money and it's your job to keep your money in your pocket unless it's something you really want for the value offered.

She lived through the great depression and the rationing of WWII.

I lived through rationing myself (no, I'm not over 80 years old; it happened in 1990-1991), and I agree with this statement.  I can add an expression (a translation to English) - "the salvation of a drowning man is the work of the drowning man himself".

Voyage, Voyage!!!

Edited by kirtihk

18 hours ago, TheMichael said:

As I was generalizing to the girlfriend, Princess now charges extra for anywhere you can sit down and be served, and doesn't charge extra for anywhere you stand up and get the food yourself. (And I think the pizza at Slice is essentially the same pizza you can get at Gigi's/Alfredo's, with the exception that at a quiet time, it may have been sitting under a heat lamp.)

And I wonder what they'll take from the standard fare and add to the packages to justify the next increase?

Very astute observation on your part!  That’s exactly what they have done.  
I do have a question if one has the premier package, are they able to order a whole pizza off the app without the current charge.  The pizzas were $3 at one time, so worth it.  Then, on a couple of cruises, they were complimentary and now $8.  Still not a bad deal but just wondering how they were going to handle that for those with the packages on ships that don’t have Alfredo’s or GiGis.  

6 hours ago, SargassoPirate said:

If you're open until closing time, you should be open until closing time.  How difficult is that?

By the same token, there will always be somebody who shows up just before closing time and they should expect to be served.

Closing time should equate to last order taken at time. The kitchen closes when everyone has been served.

unless there is a line a closing time. Then last order time is when the last person has been seated and had a chance to order.

• Like 1