Likely Punishment?

At the risk of offending some people, I offer:

While ON the ship, it's the company's policy that matters, it doesn't matter if the local laws allow drinking at age 2, or 12, or 18, if the ship restricts sales and consumption of alcohol to those who are 21 and over, end of discussion.  What they, the cruise line, enforces is a different story! 

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/legal-drinking-age-onboard-policy

Q

What is the legal drinking age onboard a Royal Caribbean cruise ship?

A

Effective immediatly on all sailings, the minimum drinking age for all alcoholic beverages on all Royal Caribbean International is as follows.

• The minimum age to consume alcohol on Royal Caribbean International ships on sailings originating from North America or the Caribbean is twenty-one (21).
  • The minimum age to consume alcohol on Royal Caribbean International ships on sailings originating in Dubai, United Arab Emirates is twenty-one (21).
  • The minimum age to consume alcohol on Royal Caribbean International ships on sailings from South America, Europe, Asia, Australia and New Zealand is eighteen (18). 
  • The minimum age to consume alcohol at all private destinations remains twenty-one (21) without regard to where the sailing originated. 

The Company retains the right, on rare occasions, to raise the minimum age of alcohol consumption on any sailing when local laws require or permit such a modification.

I think the OP got what they wanted out of this. The first line was “this should be good” and was an instant tip off that confusion or controversy was expected. Then they mentioned packages, which had nothing to do with the final question. Mission accomplished.  Pot stirred.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 2wheelin said:

I think the OP got what they wanted out of this. The first line was “this should be good” and was an instant tip off that confusion or controversy was expected. Then they mentioned packages, which had nothing to do with the final question. Mission accomplished.  Pot stirred.

Let's see... "this should be good" referred to what I was expecting to happen... people saying "Don't give alcoholic drinks to those underage".  "They shouldn't do that".  "They'll be kicked off the ship".  You know, the morality police that are around here.  

The reason I mentioned packages (as I explained earlier, but you either didn't read or ignored) was because I figured someone would either assume the GF had the deluxe package, or they would ask if they had the deluxe package.  Silly me, I thought people would actually read and comprehend what I wrote and I wanted to head off that confusion. 

I do THANK those that answered the asked question.

Edited by S.A.M.J.R.
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

My understanding is the drinking age on the ship is based on the embarkation port.  In this case, Galveston, so drinking age is 21.  If I'm wrong on that, let me know

You are correct.

1 hour ago, 2wheelin said:

Mission accomplished.  Pot stirred.

Well to be fair OP never once said they would partake in this nor was seeking ways to skirt rules. 

It was clearly stated that it was likely to happen beyond their control and asked what could be expected if happened/caught. 

The pot stirring has come from people putting their own spin on it. 

It reminds me of the scene from zootopia....

"When asked a question, respond with a question of you own, then answer that question"

• Like 7

5 hours ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

People reading things that aren't there, even after MULTIPLE posts clarifying the situation.  So, EXACTLY who is trying to "scam the system" and how?   And I didn't ask what's the worst that can happen, I asked what was LIKELY.  And what information is being "falsely reported"?  Are you just making up a scenario to go on a rant? 

DS and GF would both have college classes, DS would have college soccer, older DD (teacher) would be back in school, younger DD would have college classes.

'Tis not.

Sigh.  Someone else who didn't read.  This has NOTHING to do with sharing a package.  

My understanding is the drinking age on the ship is based on the embarkation port.  In this case, Galveston, so drinking age is 21.  If I'm wrong on that, let me know. 

Nope, I was responding to a Poster who was talking about Packages, and underage Drinking. Thanks anyway

22 hours ago, grandgeezer said:

People looking for ways to scam the system and people actually telling them how. This is the types of passengers the cruise lines are attracting?? Who owns the liability if something happens to the underage drinker if he has alcohol in his system? Besides the drinker, what about the person who supplied the drinks? What about the bar staff? What about the cruise line? The jails and prisons are full of people who thought they would never get caught.

Everybody’s age and birthdate are in the system, I would guess it would reject the request when the person entered the drink package in the computer if that’s the route they take.

What’s the worse that could happen if you get caught? You could be kicked off the ship, like someone mentioned, you could be charged full price for every drink, or you could be banned from the cruise line for falsely reporting information for your gain.

If they feel sorry for you they could just cancel what’s left with no refund.

No one is looking to scam the system in this instance, the GF would be BUYING drinks.

14 minutes ago, ONECRUISER said:

Nope, I was responding to a Poster who was talking about Packages, and underage Drinking. Thanks anyway

So why did you mention "sharing packages", the poster you quoted didn't mention it?  And, the poster you quoted made no mention of "underage drinking".  

Edited by S.A.M.J.R.

26 minutes ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

So why did you mention "sharing packages", the poster you quoted didn't mention it?  And, the poster you quoted made no mention of "underage drinking".  

As said Poster was Talking about sharing, i wasnt responding to you. I Then talked about underage as most were that I hd no experience, even added my input on Smokers.  Just let it go already. Might need to close thread

Edited by ONECRUISER
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Mikamarii said:

Well to be fair OP never once said they would partake in this nor was seeking ways to skirt rules. 

It was clearly stated that it was likely to happen beyond their control and asked what could be expected if happened/caught. 

The pot stirring has come from people putting their own spin on it. 

It reminds me of the scene from zootopia....

"When asked a question, respond with a question of you own, then answer that question"

Those people stirred the pot using the. OP’s video spoon. Clearly no, the OP was not looking for ways to skirt the rules, they were trying to see how many responses could be classified as morality policing. Add to that the number of people who read the question wrong (was the question intentionally worded that way?). 

Just now, 2wheelin said:

Those people stirred the pot using the. OP’s video spoon. Clearly no, the OP was not looking for ways to skirt the rules, they were trying to see how many responses could be classified as morality policing. Add to that the number of people who read the question wrong (was the question intentionally worded that way?). 

Yes, I intentionally used the words I did.  How else would you have phrased the question?   The OP is not confusing, IF IT WAS ACTUALLY READ.  I honestly had no idea how many people would read their own FACTS into the question.  If I didn't mention a package, people still would have assumed I was talking about deluxe or asked.  

Since you're so good at knowing my thoughts, what color am I thinking of? 

• Haha 2

Watch this play out on the Independence this summer was eating dinner in the Playmaker lounge when a kid not 21 was caught It seem the father has purchased the mix drink and gave it to the kid who was playing pool the dad was cross the room eating security rush in the dad taking by two security  the third one stay with the kid just a warning they do watch for this.

26 minutes ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

Yes, I intentionally used the words I did.  How else would you have phrased the question?   The OP is not confusing, IF IT WAS ACTUALLY READ.  I honestly had no idea how many people would read their own FACTS into the question.  If I didn't mention a package, people still would have assumed I was talking about deluxe or asked.  

Since you're so good at knowing my thoughts, what color am I thinking of? 

OMG! Let it go! You got the answer to your question.

• Thanks 2

23 minutes ago, ink76 said:

Watch this play out on the Independence this summer was eating dinner in the Playmaker lounge when a kid not 21 was caught It seem the father has purchased the mix drink and gave it to the kid who was playing pool the dad was cross the room eating security rush in the dad taking by two security  the third one stay with the kid just a warning they do watch for this.

How in the world did security know the guy was not 21? My kids are 20, 20, 22, 25 and 27, honestly the 27 year old looks the youngest.

32 minutes ago, mjkacmom said:

How in the world did security know the guy was not 21? My kids are 20, 20, 22, 25 and 27, honestly the 27 year old looks the youngest.

Believe it was the bar manager who call security and they ask for his sea pass card.

54 minutes ago, mjkacmom said:

Possibilities:

1.   Security Cameras all over the ship with facial recognition software linked to their security system

2.   I believe those under 21 have a special bracelet that is required to be worn 

3.   Someone suspected what was going on and called security ("If you see something, say something"/brown shirts at work)

4.   A bartender remembered the kid and father from previous attempts 

5.   Some Security Personnel have mindreading capabilities

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ret MP said:

Possibilities:

1.   Security Cameras all over the ship with facial recognition software linked to their security system

2.   I believe those under 21 have a special bracelet that is required to be worn 

3.   Someone suspected what was going on and called security ("If you see something, say something"/brown shirts at work)

4.   A bartender remembered the kid and father from previous attempts 

5.   Some Security Personnel have mindreading capabilities

#2 is incorrect.  I think the bracelets are for 12 and under and are for muster stations.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, mjkacmom said:

I think the original question wasn’t asking permission, but wondering the chances on any consequences. I think most will agree the chances of getting caught are slim, and that the consequences wouldn’t be big.

My thoughts as well.  First time caught would probably be a warning,  as long as no one was acting the fool.  Even then probably just a warning. 

On 8/4/2023 at 11:26 AM, S.A.M.J.R. said:

... However, if they do get caught, what's a realistic punishment?  Slap on the wrist, "don't do that again"?  Kicked off at next port?

I don't think they'd be punished severely -- unless he was visibly drunk and causing trouble.  

However, he (and the GF) should be aware that getting a "drinking ticket" is far from harmless.   A cruise ship is unlikely to give drinking tickets, and they'd be unlikely to get back to American, but I've heard stories:  

- A friend's son got a drinking ticket on his college campus.  Their insurance went up, and they thought that was it -- nope.  Two years later their family was almost denied permission to host a foreign exchange student.  They had to sign something specifically saying they understood their exchange student could not drink alcohol, and the student could never be a passenger in a car driven by the son (who no longer lived in the house). 

- My oldest daughter told me about a number of girls in her nursing program who -- because of drinking tickets -- were not allowed into certain facilities during their nursing clinicals (practice nursing).  I think they were not allowed into the public schools to shadow a school nurse, and I know that wasn't the only place they were denied.  Their instructors were ANGRY with the students for being so foolish and piled extra work on them to "make up" for the assignments they couldn't do. 

- One of my old students (who was super-close to turning 21) went to lunch at a bar with work friends and ordered a beer -- they failed to card him, and he was served.  I don't remember HOW he was caught, but he was, and his insurance went up.  

I've heard a couple more.  Your son and his girlfriend are in college.  They may be involved in in internships or similar programs.  It's unlikely that news of them drinking on the ship would /could reach their hometown, but the world's getting smaller every day.  

On 8/4/2023 at 8:27 PM, Mapleleafforever said:

There's thousands of passengers onboard, be smart about it and they'll never get caught. At 16-20 dollars per drink including mandatory tips I doubt she'll buy many anyway. Enjoy your cruise!! 

I was going to say something similar.  These are college students.  When I was in school, I was so incredibly poor that even a single $10-16 dollar drink would've been out of my price range.  

3 hours ago, Ret MP said:

Now that's true:  Except in your own room, you should always assume you're on camera.  That facial recognition is scary-good.  

3 hours ago, Ret MP said:

I remember my kids had to wear bracelets when they were small (so -- in case of an emergency -- kids' club staff would know their muster station), but I don't think 20 year olds would need to wear them.  

• Like 1