Onboard Emerald Hawaii bound

LawDog61

11 hours ago, LawDog61 said:

I got,to agree.  Kona is a lovely town, but not to much to do there.   I don’t think they have a usable beach (that’s my thing on Hawaii cruises). I don’t expect them to put together much in the way of tours.  
Will get off (it’s a tender port) walk around, have lunch and go back to ship unless something interesting comes up.

I really enjoyed the summer palace. And there is a reconstruction of huts near downtown. If anyone is interested in quilts there’s a quilt museum and store. Hawaiian quilting is incredibly beautiful and unique. 

IMG_2180.jpeg

IMG_2176.png

IMG_2171.jpeg

IMG_2170.jpeg

IMG_2162.jpeg

IMG_2182.jpeg

• Like 7

There is a county park (Kahalu'u) a mile or two from downtown Kona that has a small beach and is great for snorkeling because it's protected and also is a marine preserve, so there are lots of fish. Because it's protected, it's a good spot for beginners, but we snorkel every day when we're in Hawaii and often see something new every time we go here. There are usually several turtles around. Don't miss the great shave ice at Ululani's at the King Kam, which is very close to the dock.

• Like 1

Got off the Emerald in LA the day you were beginning your voyage … so, I’ve been following.  News reports this morning say that housing on Maui was already at a critical shortage before the fires … and thousands have been displaced because of the fires. Lots of power outages and many without fresh water. The state government is working with resorts to get people to leave the properties so that rooms will be available to house those displaced. Airlines have been sending larger planes to the Island to help accomplish this larger than normal exodus of vacationers.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Greyhound3 said:

Just had an announcement from the Captain that the passenger reported missing this morning has been confirmed by CCTV footage to have gone overboard in the early hours of Friday morning. Sad news.

More tragedy. Very sad.

On 8/13/2023 at 9:48 AM, Solara said:

How is the condition of the ship?  How are the furnishings in the public areas & staterooms?

Ship conditions look good to me.   We have new furniture on balcony

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, cap'n chunk said:

Any news about what might happen to your stop at Ensenada on Sunday with Tropical Storm Hilary on the way?

Captain is all quiet.   Not a mention of any changes to plans

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LawDog61 said:

Captain is all quiet.   Not a mention of any changes to plans

looking at the current tracking, cannot see Emerald stopping Sunday in Ensenada.

This is north of the border, where the storm is moving.  Ensenada is 70 miles SOUTH of the border.

SUNDAY
Wind north 10 to 15 knots with gusts to 20 knots... becoming 20 to 30 knots with gusts to 35 knots in the afternoon. Wind waves around 2 feet or less...becoming 3 to 4 feet in the afternoon. Mixed swell northwest 1 to 2 feet at 13 seconds and south 2 to 4 feet at 15 seconds. Showers likely in the morning. A slight chance of thunderstorms. Showers in the afternoon.

SUNDAY NIGHT
Wind northwest 30 to 40 knots...becoming south after midnight. Gusts to 55 knots. Wind waves around 6 feet. Mixed swell northwest 1 to 3 feet and south 2 to 5 feet. Showers with a slight chance of thunderstorms.

Edited by startedwithamouse
  • Like 1

Noon Time update from captain;   We will arrive in Ensenada Saturday for a service call only (get our port papers stamped) and immediately leave for LA.  Arrive in LA Sunday (instead of Monday) overnight in the port before normal disembarking time on Monday.   Passengers who wish can disembark on Saturday .   I think I got it all right

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4

33 minutes ago, LawDog61 said:

Noon Time update from captain;   We will arrive in Ensenada Saturday for a service call only (get our port papers stamped) and immediately leave for LA.  Arrive in LA Sunday (instead of Monday) overnight in the port before normal disembarking time on Monday.   Passengers who wish can disembark on Saturday .   I think I got it all right

Very good decision by the captain. 

• Like 1

Captain has a lead foot.  21.6 knots.  Hang on to your sombreros.  

Bet those having EZ Air are really happy today.  

Safe travels everyone. This has been a very unique voyage.

Malama Pono

• Like 4

@LawDog61  Thanks for the updates.  You are "so close" to Ensenada.  I do hope all goes well for the Emerald and all of her passengers.  The latest is that the hurricane has accelerated and going to arrive earlier than anticipated (Early Sunday morning).  The "good news" is that she is tracking slightly more east.  

• Like 3