CBD OIL (not THC)

sydney dog

I cruise a lot, on lots of lines, and I try NEVER to break the rules, not even a little bit. What could be worse than getting all the way to the boarding process only to be pulled out of line, seaarched, and possible sent away (witho NO REFUND, BTW), and all this if the presence of a thousand passengers. Trying to get away with side-stepping the law is really serious on a ship; they have a multi-billion dollar business maintain and aren't going to be jepordized by someone who cant go a few days without gummies (or whatever). Grow up.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Elaine5715 said:

Since the ingredients are not tested by the FDA, you don't know what is in it.

I mean, packaged food has an allowable amount of rat feces and insect matter in it, so I feel like that point is on shaky ground. 

Reputable companies provide certificates of third party testing. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ItsADryHumor said:

I mean, packaged food has an allowable amount of rat feces and insect matter in it, so I feel like that point is on shaky ground. 

Reputable companies provide certificates of third party testing. 

Are you aware that CBD products made in states where marijuana is 100% legal can be fully loaded?  

If there are no alternative treatments that don't violate rules or laws, and if the person cannot tolerate being without for a week +/-, then perhaps they should be investigating alternative vacations where they won't risk their freedom. Bringing up alcohol or anything else is pure deflection and irrelevant.

Obviously if any exceptions are made, many frauds will claim they also are exempt, and Carnival is likely constrained by law as to their ability to question.

There is a prescription form of CBD oil - Epidiolex - which has been tested and FDA approved, so is legal under Federal law. Insurance might even cover it.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, peekinglemer said:

I understand what you are saying, but please think about the people that use this as a verified medical treatment.  I'm sure anyone could go a week without recreational marijuana, but for people with MS, or cancer or other illnesses, this is a lifeline.  Telling people that are dealing with life changing illnesses to "grow up" really devalues and minimizes peoples legitimate medical needs. Opioids like oxycodone are legal and WAY MORE INSIDIOUS then thc will ever be.  But because it is "legal" no one bats an eye.  All I am asking it that people keep an open mind and realize this is not a one size fits all situation.  

I think people can easily grasp where marijuana ranks in addiction/lethality/whatever compared to other drugs, but just because someone finds it useful for cancer or MS, doesn't remove the fact that it's not allowed on board. People can find another vacation if they can't do without. "Showing grace" is not about allowing misconduct, it's about the forgiveness shown after. And calling people names in your post for stating the rules is just snotty. 

• Like 3

It's not up to people on cruise critic to give people grace. The issue is whether the cruise line, US customs, or foreign customs will give grace if caught. The answer is almost certainly no. I don't think anyone is suggesting that a very small amount of CBD oil with less than .03% THC is likely to catch the attention of drug dogs. More so that CBD products are unregulated so there's no way to know that it actually is .03% THC. 

On 9/5/2023 at 5:49 AM, firefly333 said:

If you try to board with a illegal drug why is anyone surprised they were denied boarding. At least they werent arrested. Small favor. 

Until the usa says you can have it with a prescription it's not legal. .. I mean the whole usa, not certain states. 

CBD is NOT illegal in the US. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, sid_9169 said:

For what it's worth, I bring my CBD every time I sail to help me sleep... I throw the small bottle in with my other 3 oz liquids, and they've never batted an eye at it...

That is why there must be more to the story.  They must have had THC Gummies and not CBD gummies.  How could a drug dog alert to CBD with .03 % THC.  

On 9/5/2023 at 4:19 PM, ElCrapyTan said:

Makes you question how the drug dogs could catch CBD gummies with <0.3% THC, but can't seem to catch any of the straight weed that is brought on every cruise... 😕

The dogs are a fairly new addition.  When we sailed last October out of Port Canaveral (and every cruise we have been on since 2011) - there were no dogs in the terminal.  This spring when we sailed out of Port Canaveral, they were having you line up and place your bags down on the ground and stand next to them while a dog was brought around to inspect every bag as part of the check-in process.  I can only assume our checked luggage was put through a similar routine.  I've also seen footage recently of drug dogs on the ship during the cruise.  In one security was responding to something in a stateroom and a dog was brought in..  the best thing to do at this point is just leave anything questionable at home.  

Last time I was shopping the herb/vitamin section of the grocery store, there was a CBD section for items helping sleep, stress relief, etc.  Is this what the hoo hah is about?  If so, then I guess it is one of those items like bottled water that is against the rules.

• Thanks 2

17 hours ago, happy cruzer said:

Last time I was shopping the herb/vitamin section of the grocery store, there was a CBD section for items helping sleep, stress relief, etc.  Is this what the hoo hah is about?  If so, then I guess it is one of those items like bottled water that is against the rules.

There are two factors at play:

Not everyone who procures "CBD" does so from the (relatively legally safe in the US) vitamin section of your grocery store or health food co-op.  And there is apparently a lot of "CBD" sold that has more than the max trace amount of THC they are supposed to have, because the process is still relatively unregulated.

Secondly, if CBD in any form is illegal in the ports being visited (and it seems to be) then Carnival has to assure those ports that their pax are CBD-free, and therefore they ban the substance.

Until there is more-universally accepted international laws regarding CBD this isn't likely to change, unfortunately.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, happy cruzer said:

None of it guaranteed to do anything except lighten your wallet.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1