Mobility scooter in standard balcony

mustgo

You should be able to do it in a concierge cabin (larger than standard veranda) by pushing the bed as close to the little sofa as it can go.  You'd then park it beside the bathroom side of the bed.  It will NOT go past the foot of the bed and absolutely won't work in a standard veranda cabin.  I've done it in a concierge cabin but just know it's very, very cozy and whoever sleeps on the bathroom side of the bed has to thread the needle to get to the bathroom.  Also, bring a doorstop.

So the answer is "no," there is not enough room in a standard balcony on Constellation.

Edited by goofysmom99

It depends on where the couch and bed are located. If the couch is first when entering the room, you can do it. If the bed is first - it will not fit. The scooter would block the access to the bathroom. 

43 minutes ago, TSC said:

It depends on where the couch and bed are located. If the couch is first when entering the room, you can do it. If the bed is first - it will not fit. The scooter would block the access to the bathroom. 

The OP is on the Constellation.  That ship the bed placement does not alternate like on the S class ship.  The beds are near the bath and the standard veranda cabins are about 20 sq ft smaller than the S class verandas.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CruiseCrew123 said:

You would also need to check the width of the doors as I read people saying that some scooters won’t go through the doorway - and you can’t leave it in the corridor 

I don't know who has pronounced that you can't leave your scooter in the corridor.  I can only cite my experience in January on the Constellation out of Tampa.  I had a scooter that would not fit in my cabin.  Guest relations sent an electrician up who figured out a way for me to charge it in the corridor.  It spent the entire 10-night cruise out there and there were no complaints.

7 minutes ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

I don't know who has pronounced that you can't leave your scooter in the corridor.  I can only cite my experience in January on the Constellation out of Tampa.  I had a scooter that would not fit in my cabin.  Guest relations sent an electrician up who figured out a way for me to charge it in the corridor.  It spent the entire 10-night cruise out there and there were no complaints.

Celebrity. 

https://www.celebritycruises.com/faqs/accessible-cruising#:~:text=Yes%2C assistive devices including mobility,kept clear for emergency evacuation.

But then again, Celebrity being consistently inconsistent with their own policies. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

I agree.  I've seen any number of scooters parked in the corridor (although honestly I don't think doing so is a very good idea in case of emergency - no offense meant to you).

2 hours ago, mustgo said:

Thanks for the info. Guess we will cancel. There are no available HAs

I have a travel-friendly scooter that gets through the doorways easily; I then fold it up and stand it against the wall. I don’t know if any place rents those but it’s great because I don’t need HA cruise cabins or hotel rooms. 

12 minutes ago, redjetz said:

I have a travel-friendly scooter that gets through the doorways easily; I then fold it up and stand it against the wall. I don’t know if any place rents those but it’s great because I don’t need HA cruise cabins or hotel rooms. 

I would appreciate more info about your scooter.  My husband will probably take his scooter which does.fit thru a door but he has thought of getting another so he does not have to take his regular one.  Also the day might be not so far away that I will need one too.  We are 85 and 87

The key thought is “will the place that the scooter be parked block any emergency access or any hallway. ?” There are often small alcoves and little spaces near the elevator, where a scooter can be plugged in. You need to be able to walk to the scooter, and from the scooter to the stateroom, but the scooter can easily be tucked into one of those small spaces.  

1 hour ago, goofysmom99 said:

The reason I had to fit mine into my concierge cabin on Constellation is that they would not let me leave it in the hallway earlier this year (and I'm a zenith).

Yes, hallways are no good but I have always found other places which are out of the line of traffic where the scooter can be safely parked.

59 minutes ago, mustgo said:

I would appreciate more info about your scooter.  My husband will probably take his scooter which does.fit thru a door but he has thought of getting another so he does not have to take his regular one.  Also the day might be not so far away that I will need one too.  We are 85 and 87

Hi, mine is the EZFold from 1800wheelchair.com. It is airline approved, which allows me to ride it up to the door of the plane, fold it up and take the keys and they take it there along with the baby strollers, etc. It is a 3-wheel model and can go pretty fast so the driver has to take care, but there are 4-wheel models at that site, too. Their customer service is very responsive.

2 hours ago, phoenix_dream said:

I agree.  I've seen any number of scooters parked in the corridor (although honestly I don't think doing so is a very good idea in case of emergency - no offense meant to you).

I agree, along with wheelchairs. 

I had an accessible cabin on Constellation (dead center aft) on last year's TA.  I ended up raising a bit of a fuss so I could actually use my scooter; both the port and starboard corridors were often clogged with wheelchairs/walkers/scooters.  The users seemed to go to bed pretty early and just left them out in the hallways.  Staff began enforcing a bit better afterwards.  

2 hours ago, redjetz said:

Hi, mine is the EZFold from 1800wheelchair.com. It is airline approved, which allows me to ride it up to the door of the plane, fold it up and take the keys and they take it there along with the baby strollers, etc. It is a 3-wheel model and can go pretty fast so the driver has to take care, but there are 4-wheel models at that site, too. Their customer service is very responsive.

Thanks for the info. I did upgrade to an accessible concierge which is in the center in the back so hope that the hallways are clear

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mustgo said:

Thanks for the info. I did upgrade to an accessible concierge which is in the center in the back so hope that the hallways are clear

Doors on Constellation don't stay open so take a doorstop.  It's tough to hold the door open and stay out the way of the scooter.

We are going on apex next May we have a deluxe inside I'm hoping we can get the scooter in its not a suitcase type do you know if we take it in the hold of the coaches so we can go on the shuttles or an excursion my husband can walk up a few steps or a small distance