Question on fare increase after booking...

kathy49

32 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

Have never heard of a fare increase being applied after deposit is in place. Port fees yes, but cruise fare, no.

Of course people do immediately demand a reduction if the fare goes down...

Read the T&Cs and Ticket Contract. All sorts of added charges are possible (e.g., furl surcharges).

• Like 2

2 hours ago, kathy49 said:

In general if you book a cruise is the fare guaranteed at that time? Is it protected from increase only at final payment? I realize you can refare for lower fare. Thank you.

Be careful and read all the terms of your initial contract.

There may be costs to "refare" after a general price decrease (or for some other reason).

And this also may depend upon your country of residence.  The "way it works" in one country may be very different from in a different country.

Just *doublecheck* before canceling if you are planning to re-book.

GC

• Like 1

Generally yes, the fare is protected. @Flatbush Flyer is correct however that there are surcharges that can be levied after the cruise is booked is prices substantially increase for the cruise line (fuel, port fees, etc). Keep in mind that if you make any changes to your booking you may be subject to re-pricing at the new rate. 

Sorry, I don't see a fuel surcharge (yes, most cruise lines have them in their T&Cs, and yes, we should be aware of the possibility, although they have very rarely be implemented) as a "re-faring". 

I see a "re-faring" as a cruise line suddenly saying that $1500pp cabin you booked a month ago is now $2000, plus the associated taxes and fees. And you have no choice, except to cancel. That is a cruise re-faring. And I can't recall ever hearing of such an event. 

• Like 3

On some lines  if the price drop you can get the  new price  or an OBC for the difference 

Many years ago  the line would add the fuel upcharge  when the oil prices  went  way up  but have not seen the  added fees  in a long time

It is still in most lines T & C  incase  they need to implement it

You do not say what Country you are  in  in your profile   other  Countries  outside of North America  may have other rules on such things

3 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

Sorry, I don't see a fuel surcharge (yes, most cruise lines have them in their T&Cs, and yes, we should be aware of the possibility, although they have very rarely be implemented) as a "re-faring". 

I see a "re-faring" as a cruise line suddenly saying that $1500pp cabin you booked a month ago is now $2000, plus the associated taxes and fees. And you have no choice, except to cancel. That is a cruise re-faring. And I can't recall ever hearing of such an event. 

Whose invoice are you checking? Some folks who use certain TAs never see the actual O invoice.

18 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

Have never heard of a fare increase being applied after deposit is in place. Port fees yes, but cruise fare, no.

Of course people do immediately demand a reduction if the fare goes down...

I'm sure if someone wanted to refare at the higher fare the cruise kind would let them. 🤑

• Haha 3

16 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

Agree, once the deposit is made, the fare is locked in.   

Quick notes based on my experiences; YMMV:

• I've never been billed for more $$$ for the fare after booking
  • I've never been billed for increased port fees after booking, though I'm sure it's in the cruise line T&C's
  • Several times I've received OBC onboard for what I assume is port fees that turned out to be less than expected
  • I haven't seen a fuel surcharge, though I'm sure that's also in the T&C's
  • Like 1

Well, we didn't have a choice.  Several years ago on HAL around South America we were informed that our fare had been reduced by around $38.00.  Never found out why....possibly something to do with the exchange rate or port fees....no one seemed to know.  

Also we were not given a choice as to whether to accept it or not.