Observations, first time on HAL. Zaandam 23Aug to 03 Sep 2023

Blackduck59

Hope that this isn't off topic but you didn't mention that you had a tail on this cruise .

PXL_20230830_195502746.thumb.jpg.8b06d56800f22863ccf705b54e04d2ab.jpg

PXL_20230830_200023787.thumb.jpg.07b5edce217a2ee0c7d0e290dc971cc7.jpg

The Zuiderdam is doing a similar cruise as you . Some of the same ports on different days except you are sharing PEI and Quebec City . They will arrive 3 hours ahead of you and disembark there . Some different photos and observations from the Zuiderdam here :

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

Hey @Blackduck59, if you have a minute, could you observe what is available in the sparkling wine department that is covered by the drink packages? I have heard about Domaine St Michele, but it seems to suddenly have disappeared off the various menus I have been seeing recently.

Greatly appreciated!

I'll have a look, I only really look at the wine list at dinner time.

Tonight is "Gold Gala" night, we are dining in the MDR but extra dress up isn't on our menu. 

Edited by Blackduck59
  • Like 3

33 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

I'll have a look, I only really look at the wine list at dinner time.

Tonight is "Gold Gala" night, we are dining in the MDR but extra dress up isn't on our menu. 

Thank you!

Our TA just forwarded us an upsell offer for our cruise...Pinnacle Suite for $1500pp!

Said no thanks!

Breakfast in the MDR was quite nice. The service was excellent and definitely not as hectic as dinner. Lynn enjoyed some Greek yogurt with banana, followed by the Belgian waffles. The waffles were small and looked like flowers, were crispy on the outside and fluffy in the middle. They were served with a warm berry compote, the whipped cream and syrup on the side. Even though we are headed into the land of maple syrup I doubt the syrup was the real thing. Lynn also indulged in a mimosa with breakfast. I chose the Dungeness Benedict, there was some nice crab meat on the toasted English muffins, asparagus and tarragon with the poached eggs and hollandaise. I chose some mushrooms as a side. I wanted to try the corned beef hash so I asked for a little bit on my plate. The Benedict was very good and I always like mushrooms,  their interpretation of corned beef hash didn’t suit my liking so good thing there was just a little bit.

Edited by Blackduck59
Typos
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

We saw our first little person on the cruise at breakfast in the MDR, the young lad was quiet and very well behaved. After we finished our meal we went over and said hello, letting him and his parents know how much we appreciated his good behavior. 

Edited by Blackduck59
Typo
  • Like 9

2 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

Thank you!

Our TA just forwarded us an upsell offer for our cruise...Pinnacle Suite for $1500pp!

Said no thanks!

Good choice , you don't want to get spoiled . A video clip of our favorite Neptune Suite ( especially the balcony ) . We loved sitting on the back out of the wind , sailing through the fjords in Iceland while having diner for 2 and watching the sunset over the wake .

• Like 4

5 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

Thank you!

Said no thanks!

Wow! What a steal in price though! Totally understand if you aren't wanting to pay it. We are staying in the PS next year. Definitely wish we could have just gotten an upsell offer like that though!

35 minutes ago, SilvertoGold said:

The napkin rings. 

Also, There are Blue and Silver nights. Some upgrading of menus can happen.

They have napkin rings? 🤔 Where are they keeping them because I haven't seen any. 😟

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

We saw our first little person on the cruise at breakfast in the MDR, the young lad was quiet and very well behaved. After we finished our meal we went over and said hello, letting him and his parents know how much we appreciated his good behavior. 

You haven’t met the twins (baby) yet?   They were on an all-day excursion with us to Gros Morne in cornerbrook.  Awesome little duo.  Barely heard a peep other than giggles the entire day.  All of the other little people have been equally as awesome and well behaved.  

• Like 5

1 hour ago, AroundWithMAPTravels said:

You haven’t met the twins (baby) yet?   They were on an all-day excursion with us to Gros Morne in cornerbrook.  Awesome little duo.  Barely heard a peep other than giggles the entire day.  All of the other little people have been equally as awesome and well behaved.  

We haven't met them yet but are aware they were aboard. We heard them briefly at the terminal in Boston while we waiting to board.

On 8/30/2023 at 5:13 AM, cwd79 said:

Prince Edward Island today. Walked over to 'The Gallery' this is a coffee shop/bakery about 7-8min walk from port. I go every time we come here for their yummy Magic Bars. Completely worth getting soaked. 

Interesting… kind of looks like this is an Eagle Brand condensed milk recipe called Magic Cookie Bar. Think I’ve made that before, will have to try again (cheaper than a cruise- not as much fun though)! On the Gallery website looks like they cut it long, rectangular finger shaped. Looks yummy. Thanks for sharing and inspiring!

13 minutes ago, Destiny0315 said:

If the CD is still Daniel Edward, he is a British citizen. HAL is of Dutch origins and in fact the Dutch and Canadians have a long standing great relationship in all areas. Sadly I'm not sure if many under the age of 35 here in the states could even tell you what a Green Beret was and is never mind what they stood for in the past and today.

My understanding that the last CD this summer on the Zaandam was a lady called Jourdyn….  My Grand Voyage document from HAL for the Oct. 7 sailing shows that the Cruise Director will be Jeremy Hales,,, No idea who the CD is at this time.  But again a faux pas by the existing CD.

15 minutes ago, xjust4fun said:

My understanding that the last CD this summer on the Zaandam was a lady called Jourdyn….  My Grand Voyage document from HAL for the Oct. 7 sailing shows that the Cruise Director will be Jeremy Hales,,, No idea who the CD is at this time.  But again a faux pas by the existing CD.

You are probably right that they have switched out once over the summer. HAL has stopped for sometime now giving out a lot of info on their Cruise and Travel Directors (which is the term they use now) and their assignments, unlike Carnival who throws them into the spotlight and publishes their schedules. But I did find this article that was just published by HAL about Jordyn.

https://www.hollandamerica.com/blog/recent-articles/whats-new/catch-up-with-the-crew-meet-jordyn-cruise-and-travel-director/

Edited by Destiny0315

22 minutes ago, Destiny0315 said:

Not lessening the impact but it is a scripted presentation which is the same that was done by the previous CD, Mr. Edward, earlier in the season. I don't remember it being that funny or informative myself tbh, and I'm only from half Canadian bloodlines.

My understanding is that these presentations are made in the home office and scripted, so that kind of puts the cruise director on the spot.  If someone is offended by it, they are the face of it even if they didn’t prepare the content.

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Is that clear enough?

No, but I respect your right not to elaborate. 

btw---my mother's father was a Mountie, and I have always had a great deal of respect for them. 

• Like 3

Our take on some of HAL's recent CDs: too young, too uniformed, too cutesy, too flippant, too surfer dude, too immature, too Barbie doll. What we would expect on Carnival, not HAL. Give us more mature, serious ones like Bruce Scudder and Tom Faulkner, class acts all the way. 

We really cannot imagine either reading such a script.

Edited by SilvertoGold
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2