Observations, first time on HAL. Zaandam 23Aug to 03 Sep 2023

Blackduck59

This will be our first encounter with HAL. I will be posting observations here from time to time. I will not be comparing HAL to other lines we have cruised. I will give my impressions of this first experience with this cruise line. I invite others on this cruise to give their impressions as well. I will not be posting photos of the daily or any menus, if others want to do that feel free. I want to approach this as a fair and balanced group of observations, good bad or indifferent, I will write my opinion. Others may have different opinions and that's okay too. We fly out tomorrow (21 Aug 2023) and will enjoy some time in Boston before embarking Zaandam on the 23rd (my Birthday). I look forward to sharing our experience and hearing other people's experiences. Remember this isn't about comparing to other lines or even what HAL used to be, it's about HAL and what is.

• Like 19
  • Thanks 5

For the most part I enjoy this class of HAL ship.  Considerably fewer passengers than the other HAL ships, so you seem to be running into the same people more often.  I like having three sets of elevators, which makes it much less of a walk from point A to point B.  The walking deck is very wide with alot of chairs/loungers to enjoy.

Negatives are 1) the inability to get to the lower dining area (the primary one) from the rest of deck 4 - you have to take the stairs or elevators, 2) the reduced number of entertainment and dining options and 3) the Pinnacle Grill does not have views of the sea (really like this for breakfast).  

If you are fortunate enough to score a Neptune cabin, you will enjoy it more (IMO) than on the larger ships, as there are only about half the number of Neptune cabins with access to it. 

This class of ship is best for quiet, relaxing cruises (IMO).

• Like 2

Happy birthday on embarkation day, looking forward to the feedback on your experiences. Good time to be leaving as we just got hit with the forest fire smoke. Not too pleasant outside, so we wish we were joining you.

• Like 2

I'm sure you and Lynn will love it Lyle. Zaandam, I believe, is sister ship to the now sold Maasdam. Maasdam was my favourite HAL ship. Very comfortable and ideal size which allowed it to get into some ports the behemoths couldn't. My last cruise on Maasdam was Auckland/Sydney Feb 2020.

Looking forward to your observations on a cruise I would love to do some time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, lyndarra said:

Zaandam, I believe, is sister ship to the now sold Maasdam.

Not quite. Zaandam is the sister ship to the Volendam. Both are R-class ships, as were the Rotterdam VI, and the Amsterdam. 
Maasdam was an S-class ship, along with the Statendam, Ryndam, and Veendam. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, RuthC said:

Not quite. Zaandam is the sister ship to the Volendam. Both are R-class ships, as were the Rotterdam VI, and the Amsterdam. 

Thanks for clearing that up. Volendam was my first HAL cruise but it was a while back.

Here's a question for past Zaandam cruisers or any on the ship now.....does anyone actually play the organ in the atrium? Or is it just piped in music? I play....used to play at church and for weddings and I'd love to see someone actually playing it.

Another question....is there somewhere in my docs that give me a complete itinerary of my cruise including the shore excursions and dinner reservations we have.  I saw it once a month or so ago but can't seem to find it now. 

• Like 1

Just now, Kate45 said:

Here's a question for past Zaandam cruisers or any on the ship now.....does anyone actually play the organ in the atrium? Or is it just piped in music? I play....used to play at church and for weddings and I'd love to see someone actually playing it.

Another question....is there somewhere in my docs that give me a complete itinerary of my cruise including the shore excursions and dinner reservations we have.  I saw it once a month or so ago but can't seem to find it now. 

Have you created an account on the HAL website?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kate45 said:

On the Website, if you select Already Booked then Manage My Booking, you can log in and select your cruise. At the upper left of this page there is an icon and wording for your itinerary. Click on this and you will get the day by day itinerary. The design changed about a month ago. The itinerary was more obvious before. If you need to cancel a reservation, it can still be done from the itinerary.

19 hours ago, RuthC said:

Thanks Ruth! The memories came rushing back when you mentioned the Ryndam (our first HAL cruise back in 2012), Veendam (our first Panama Canal cruise back in 2016), Zaandam (our first Antarctica cruise where we fell in love with Penguins), and the Maasdam (our awesome 40-day B2B visiting the New Caledonia Islands and circumnavigating Australia in 2019 on one of the few In-Depth EXC cruises, which sadly was our last cruise with HAL).

Here's hoping @Blackduck59 and your DW you have a wonderful cruise loaded with a bunch of fond memories to look back on!! 

• Thanks 1

Kate 45,

To our knowledge no one actually plays the organ.  However, it is enjoyable to watch and usually plays at noon.  We have been on the Zaandam 4 times, the last for 71 days on the 2022 Grand Africa, and it is our favorite ship.  For those of you that are going have a wonderful time.

Happy Sailing!

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Kate45 said:

The organ plays automagically. 😀

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

19 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

Have you created an account on the HAL website?

I was on the Zaandam in June and the organ was not working.  I heard rumors it was going to be too expensive to fix so not sure if it will be taken out or just left there.  

19 hours ago, Kate45 said:

I am wondering the same thing.  I am hoping to listen to "piped" music, or is the organ kust for sho now?

On 8/20/2023 at 8:43 AM, Blackduck59 said:

This will be our first encounter with HAL. I will be posting observations here from time to time. I will not be comparing HAL to other lines we have cruised. I will give my impressions of this first experience with this cruise line. I invite others on this cruise to give their impressions as well. I will not be posting photos of the daily or any menus, if others want to do that feel free. I want to approach this as a fair and balanced group of observations, good bad or indifferent, I will write my opinion. Others may have different opinions and that's okay too. We fly out tomorrow (21 Aug 2023) and will enjoy some time in Boston before embarking Zaandam on the 23rd (my Birthday). I look forward to sharing our experience and hearing other people's experiences. Remember this isn't about comparing to other lines or even what HAL used to be, it's about HAL and what is.

Have a great time on your cruise and have a HAPPY BIRTHDAY tomorrow!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Kate45 said:

I answered this for you in post #15

I can get to that webpage and see my itinerary, with dinner and 2 excursions. What I would like to see when logged in is my actual trip information that shows the HIA details and cabin number to confirm HOL has it correct in their system. How do you see that?