Observations, first time on HAL. Zaandam 23Aug to 03 Sep 2023

Blackduck59

32 minutes ago, MrBill923 said:

What I would like to see when logged in is my actual trip information that shows the HIA details and cabin number to confirm HOL has it correct in their system. How do you see that?

When you get to your booking page, the stateroom number is shown on the image just under the menu for Shore Excursions, Dining, Beverages, etc. The small images show your departure, stateroom, ship and map. Your HIA dining and shore excursion credits are shown on the page as well as on the top of the Itinerary. Classified as Promotional Credit.

The information is also on your HAL Booking Confirmation. The stateroom will be listed under Cruise Details on page 1. All the components of your HIA are shown under Special Services on page 2.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MrBill923 said:

I can get to that webpage and see my itinerary, with dinner and 2 excursions. What I would like to see when logged in is my actual trip information that shows the HIA details and cabin number to confirm HOL has it correct in their system. How do you see that?

This isn't the thread for your inquiry, read the title. 

• Like 2

So we were sort of forced to get the Uber app today. The cab service in Boston is pitiful. It took 40 minutes for one to show up this morning. If you are planning on a cab to the cruise port perhaps think about a different plan.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

So we were sort of forced to get the Uber app today. The cab service in Boston is pitiful. It took 40 minutes for one to show up this morning. If you are planning on a cab to the cruise port perhaps think about a different plan.

I have had only good experiences with Uber in Boston.   Are you returning to Boston, if so the HAL city tour with airport drop off is recommended.  I have had wonderful tour guides on those trips in Boston. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Can sympathise Lyle. Had a similar problem when Tony and I arrived at LAX in last June. Not a cab to be found. A kind parking garage attendant phoned for cab to help us out. When we wanted a cab to return to LAX from the city we had to go to a nearby hotel to try an snare a cab that was dropping off guests as there were no cabs on the streets. Ended up asking the hotel concierge if she could call on for us.

25 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

What were you trying to do? Airport to hotel? Will be following you in under 3 weeks.

18 minutes ago, MrBill923 said:

How does the Uber app have anything to do with this ship thread? 

Observations of problems a cruiser experienced when trying to get around in a strange city perhaps?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, MrBill923 said:

Blackduck59 started this thread about his experiences on his upcoming cruise. Many people comment on their pre & post cruise experiences when they do this type of thread. It helps others who will be doing this same itinerary.

Your questions about finding info about your booking would best be answered in its own thread as it has nothing to do with the OP's experiences on his trip.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 4

1 hour ago, Mary229 said:

I have had only good experiences with Uber in Boston.   Are you returning to Boston, if so the HAL city tour with airport drop off is recommended.  I have had wonderful tour guides on those trips in Boston. 

My comment was about the cabs. We have just today loaded the Uber app and hope to have a positive experience. Uber is not really big in my home town but the cab companies do a good job there. 

I will add my observations about Uber after we board Zaandam tomorrow. Our cruise ends in Montreal and we will need transportation there so maybe Uber will be the answer there too.

Edited by Blackduck59
Added content
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

My comment was about the cabs. We have just today loaded the Uber app and hope to have a positive experience. Uber is not really big in my home town but the cab companies do a good job there. 

I will add my observations about Uber after we board Zaandam tomorrow. Our cruise ends in Montreal and we will need transportation there so maybe Uber will be the answer there too.

If you use Uber in Montreal select XL or higher.  The photo you see in my avatar was taken in the middle of the Montreal highway where my Uber had broken down.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MrBill923 said:

Funny thing I started the thread and I was passing on my observations. Of the state of the cab service (as opposed to Uber or Lyft or any other ride sharing service) during our precruise stay in Boston. 

I will also post my observations about our dinner choice during our pre cruise stay in Boston. Perhaps they will be interesting to some and Germain to the topic of this New England and East Coast Canada cruise. 

• Like 8

1 hour ago, CruiserBruce said:

What were you trying to do? Airport to hotel? Will be following you in under 3 weeks.

We pre-booked the airport to hotel through booking dot com. That was easy, it turned out to be a Lyft ride share. Today it was 2 different  cab companies. We have now pre-booked an Uber for tomorrow to get us to the ship. I'll report those observations tomorrow. 

• Like 6

So we are back from dinner, we are staying at the Hyatt Seaport in Boston. It is a lovely hotel, modern an clean. While the hotel serves breakfast included in your rate, and has a licensed lounge, it doesn't have a restaurant. We chose Legal Seafood which is literally right across the street. The food was excellent and it is waterfront. We arrived for dinner fairly early maybe 1645 hrs. The restaurant wasn't crowded at that time but be aware it was quite busy and loud when we left about 1800 hrs. This was not cheap eats, but it was probably the only dinner we will ever have in Boston. 

I have to say Pinnacle Grill has a tough act to follow when we have my birthday dinner there tomorrow night. 

• Like 16

6 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

So we are back from dinner, we are staying at the Hyatt Seaport in Boston. It is a lovely hotel, modern an clean. While the hotel serves breakfast included in your rate, and has a licensed lounge, it doesn't have a restaurant. We chose Legal Seafood which is literally right across the street. The food was excellent and it is waterfront. We arrived for dinner fairly early maybe 1645 hrs. The restaurant wasn't crowded at that time but be aware it was quite busy and loud when we left about 1800 hrs. This was not cheap eats, but it was probably the only dinner we will ever have in Boston. 

I have to say Pinnacle Grill has a tough act to follow when we have my birthday dinner there tomorrow night. 

Great info for us that would like to cruise out of Boston one of these days, thanks! 

Make sure the Pinnacle knows it’s your birthday.  Have a great dinner there tomorrow night and happy birthday 🎂 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Another point of view, I landed at Boston Logan at 5:00 pm from Denver and met several cruisers on our flight all staying at different hotels.  I had chosen the Hampton Inn Seaport.  Everyone I met here staying will be on our cruise. I was able to utilize the FREE yes FREE bus from Logan airport to the Seaport District (Silverline 1). I had a 3 block walk to my hotel. Well worth spending no $$$ on transportation. 
I had a lovely dinner with “High Point Cruiser” at the Lord Hobo restaurant. Overall a great day for the day before our cruise. I’m settled in with a port view awaiting the Zaandam tomorrow morning.

• Like 4

Legal Seafoods is generally a good bet in Boston.  We've just eaten there too (but in Copley, near our hotel in the Back Bay area).  If you are staying more than overnight before boarding a cruise, our dinner last night was much more memorable though - Giacamo's in the North End...a great, characterful, cash only and very good value Italian place.  No reservations though and you need to be prepared to wait in line.

6 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

Funny thing I started the thread and I was passing on my observations. Of the state of the cab service (as opposed to Uber or Lyft or any other ride sharing service) during our precruise stay in Boston. 

I will also post my observations about our dinner choice during our pre cruise stay in Boston. Perhaps they will be interesting to some and Germain to the topic of this New England and East Coast Canada cruise. 

Yes, please, Lyle.  This household is interested in all aspects of your trip experience:  pre, post, and the cruise itself.  Happy birthday for tomorrow.  I had remembered it was 23 August, but forgot we're way ahead of you time-wise.  Today is 23 August here in Australia. It's also our wedding anniversary.  Smooth sailing;  looking forward to following your observations.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Mareblu said:

Yes, please, Lyle.  This household is interested in all aspects of your trip experience:  pre, post, and the cruise itself.  Happy birthday for tomorrow.  I had remembered it was 23 August, but forgot we're way ahead of you time-wise.  Today is 23 August here in Australia. It's also our wedding anniversary.  Smooth sailing;  looking forward to following your observations.

Happy Anniversary, I know I'm a day late there but if you were here 😉

• Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Happy Anniversary, I know I'm a day late there but if you were here 😉

No, you’re right on time, and thanks, Lyle.  Daren’t reveal how many years😜. Just returned home after a lovely dining experience at our favourite local restaurant.  Still the 23rd here for another 2-1/4 hrs  approx.  Looking forward very much to following your East Coast adventure.  I’d return there in a heartbeat.  Loved the history, stunning scenery, culture and cuisine.  Please post the whole nine yards😂

What a difference Uber makes. We scheduled a pickup for this morning. I can't remember the the "type" we booked is comfort a category? The driver showed up exactly on time in a beautiful BMX x5 everything perfect. 

Drop off was uneventful, we arrived at the perfect time just as they were opening the check in process. Check in was smooth then the wait until they opened the brow. That made for some interesting people watching. 🤔 once the brow was open boarding was okay except for some very illogical and rude shoreside staff.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

We got to our cabin the key cards were in the mail slot by the door.

This "Vista Suite" located port side midships is actually just a standard veranda cabin. We were well aware of this when we booked it. We didn't linger long ,so I don't have any cabin observations yet. I think there had been talk on CC that the MDR served lunch on boarding day (perhaps I misunderstood). We had lunch in the Lido Market, there was a good selection and the food was good. I will have more observations as the day progresses.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

We found the stand for Specialty dining reservations at the forward end of the main pool deck. We got our lunch reservations in Pinnacle grill for the sea day between Halifax and Cornerbrook. I made this reservation at the urging of several CC members (hopefully I have not been led astray) at least it's not a very expensive bill to find out. Lynn has abandoned me in the Ocean View bar, I dare not leave until she returns. That being said we need to check in at our muster station and she is nowhere to be seen. 

• Like 6