Observations, first time on HAL. Zaandam 23Aug to 03 Sep 2023

Blackduck59

We found the stand for Specialty dining reservations at the forward end of the main pool deck. We got our lunch reservations in Pinnacle grill for the sea day between Halifax and Cornerbrook. I made this reservation at the urging of several CC members (hopefully I have not been led astray) at least it's not a very expensive bill to find out. Lynn has abandoned me in the Ocean View bar, I dare not leave until she returns. That being said we need to check in at our muster station

• Like 2

This is a big observation, the A/C is totally inadequate so far. Perhaps this is because we are alongside still but this ship is uncomfortably warm. So far this is the first disappointing thing, hopefully it will settle down once we're underway. 

9 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

We found the stand for Specialty dining reservations at the forward end of the main pool deck. We got our lunch reservations in Pinnacle grill for the sea day between Halifax and Cornerbrook. I made this reservation at the urging of several CC members (hopefully I have not been led astray) at least it's not a very expensive bill to find out. Lynn has abandoned me in the Ocean View bar, I dare not leave until she returns. That being said we need to check in at our muster station

Haven’t even sailed yet & you lost her 😂😂😂

We haven’t done lunch at the Pinnacle in years but might try it again on our next upcoming cruise.  Will be interested on your opinion. 

1 minute ago, canadianbear said:

Haven’t even sailed yet & you lost her 😂😂😂

Found her, she was wandering around doing her muster station check in, leaving me twisting in the wind. So now we're both checked in.

• Like 11

11 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

This is a big observation, the A/C is totally inadequate so far. Perhaps this is because we are alongside still but this ship is uncomfortably warm. So far this is the first disappointing thing, hopefully it will settle down once we're underway. 

We found the same… until we were underway. Then it got freezing cold!  Eventually things returned to normal and temperatures remained pleasant for the rest of the trip. I am enjoying your thread!

• Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, Mosaic said:

The A/C was fine on her in March on the Panama Canal.....

I suspect it is because we are alongside and they are running the engines at reduced power. Right now we're just relaxing in the explorers lounge. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Blackduck59 said:

I suspect it is because we are alongside and they are running the engines at reduced power. Right now we're just relaxing in the explorers lounge. 

In addition, the number of doors that are open can seriously impact the A/C.

Does the port have shore power supplied to the ship, or are they using DG's for the hotel load?

• Thanks 1

We are watching the sunset from our veranda. 

We chose to enjoy our Pinnacle Grill dinner which was part of our Have it All fare. The service was top notch, Lynn & I both ordered the crab cakes to start. Lynn chose the Baked Halibut for her main with mashed potatoes and beets for the sides. I chose the grilled pork chop with mashed potatoes, mushrooms and grilled asparagus and hollandaise sauce.

Desert was Key Lime pie for Lynn and the not so classic baked Alaska for me.

The food was wonderfully prepared, well presented and we certainly enjoyed this for my birthday dinner. That being said I don't know if I would pay the tariff if it wasn't included in our fare.

• Like 13

So back to sail away, we had a small get together with some CC members from the roll call. There was one couple who recently celebrated their 50th anniversary and 2 of us having birthdays we raised a glass and enjoy the sail away. Of course this silly duck left his Tilley hat in our cabin. I hope my bald pate is not too burned. The air show was outstanding with several plane on final approach to Logan Airport flew very low overhead.

The afore mentioned A/C problem seems to have sorted itself out.

• Like 13

1 hour ago, Blackduck59 said:

We chose to enjoy our Pinnacle Grill dinner which was part of our Have it All fare. The service was top notch, Lynn & I both ordered the crab cakes to start. Lynn chose the Baked Halibut for her main with mashed potatoes and beets for the sides. I chose the grilled pork chop with mashed potatoes, mushrooms and grilled asparagus and hollandaise sauce.

The food was wonderfully prepared, well presented and we certainly enjoyed this for my birthday dinner. That being said I don't know if I would pay the tariff if it wasn't included in our fare.

Reads like a great first day.  Happy to read that your specialty dining on Day 1 went well.  We have all decided to dine in a speciality restaurant on Day 1 of our next cruise.  We have also decided to nix the dinner in the PG and will do lunch instead.

Happy Birthday.  Eagerly awaiting the rest of your updates.  Have a wonderful cruise.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

Birthday dinner? Happy Birthday!!

• Thanks 1

On 8/21/2023 at 5:24 AM, Toofarfromthesea said:

I was on an Alaskan 14 day cruise on Zandaam about 5 years ago.  Do they still have the piano bar?  That was our go-to every evening.

We were on the Zaandam in February. Yes, the piano bar was there still at that time with a wonderful , fun singer, got the audience involved with singing along. First name escapes me but her last name was Lamb.  I sure hope they keep the piano bar on the Zaandam. My favorite ship.

Happy Birthday to Blackduck59. Have a wonderful voyage!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/22/2023 at 6:36 PM, Blackduck59 said:

My comment was about the cabs. We have just today loaded the Uber app and hope to have a positive experience. Uber is not really big in my home town but the cab companies do a good job there. 

I will add my observations about Uber after we board Zaandam tomorrow. Our cruise ends in Montreal and we will need transportation there so maybe Uber will be the answer there too.

When you disembark in Montreal there will be a designated lines for cabs. This queue was quite long as people wait for cabs. Just about a block away is the designated Uber pick up point. Any one of the terminal monitors will direct you to the exact location as Uber is not allowed to share the cab pick up point. It is an easy walk and you will get picked up quicker than waiting for a cab with everyone else. At least that's our experience a couple of years ago and my daughter reported the same when she sailed in July of this year.

• Thanks 2

21 minutes ago, Ellencruise said:

Will be following your input on this cruise. I’m booked for 6/24. Any Montreal hotels suggestions?

We stayed at the Le Petite.  It is very close to port and in the old quarter.  You can walk everywhere including to the stop for the hop on bus.   Well worth the few extra dollars.  https://www.bookonline.com/hotel/le-petit-hotel-montreal?msclkid=72e37a66695c152fe7da1e815ce7c90c#room-types