Observations, first time on HAL. Zaandam 23Aug to 03 Sep 2023

Blackduck59

Fall Colors: We did one of the last similar HAL New England-St Lawrence cruises before the ship returned to FLL and the colors were brilliant. Can't remember the exact time of the year, but it was the last cruise of that season. Gorgeous weather. Loved that cruise. 

So we are back on board. I'm enjoying a cool beverage in the Crow's Nest. This is a nice space with a canned music track playing, not a bad Playlist sort of a motown vibe, not too loud you can still enjoy conversations. Unfortunately the bar nuts in here seem to be rather plane unsalted peanuts 😟.  Perhaps it's the time of day but in other lounges later in the day they are like a honey roasted style of peanut.

Lunch in the Lido was okay, there were plenty of choices unfortunately I chose poorly 🤔.  They described the pasta dish as having clams in a white sauce. Well not so much.  It seemed to me that it was pasta with butter and red pepper flake there were several clam shells but alas only 2 had clams in them. There was no sign of any "sauce". I also tried the braised short rib sliders which were good but over salted. I'm sure there were other better selections but I dare say most who chose that pasta would be disappointed. Lynn tried a new fish, it was some type of white fish (I have no idea what it was) she enjoyed it more than the salmon which she also had a small piece of.

We will be slipping lines shortly.

• Like 5

Hint: best to keep your expectations about Lido food to hotel banquet level standards; not fine dining. The immense variety of lunch time offerings will soon reveal some steady favorites. As well as one and dones.

• Like 1

Nice post lunch period listening to Beethoven Cello Concerto as we head out of St John.  Hoping tomorrow's weather in Halifax isn't as bad as it looks like it's going to be.... Dive In didn't have any Beyond Burgers so to the Lido for lunch; salad and panini were unremarkable but fine.  

• Like 2

If you are salad-friendly… I have had Cobb or chopchop salad at Lido lunch last two days.  Both customizable (size and ingredients) and fairly tasty . (I am easily satisfied with a lunch salad but YMMV).

the description of “hotel banquet” seems to sum up the lunch offerings concisely.

By the length of line at coffee shop and the number of snacks being purchased there this afternoon (line was constant from 1:00-3:30 when I left the area) there were many people wanting for “more”.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, OlsSalt said:

Hint: best to keep your expectations about Lido food to hotel banquet level standards; not fine dining. The immense variety of lunch time offerings will soon reveal some steady favorites. As well as one and dones.

I agree fully, like I said it wasn't the lunch buffet as a whole that was bad, I made a poor selection. I'm sure I could have found something better.

I'm afraid anyone thinking they will find spectacular foody fare at any buffet should adjust their expectations. 

• Like 7

39 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

I'm afraid anyone thinking they will find spectacular foody fare at any buffet should adjust their expectations. 

This! Not sure what people are expecting at a mainstream cruise line lunch buffet. Lobster? 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Caught up and now following along. We will be going to some of these ports on a MSC cruise in October, so are gathering  some information on the ports.

Happy (belated) Birthday Lyle.

We have been on HAL once before, the Maasdam which we really enjoyed, 22 nights out of Singapore, Malacca Strait and Indian Ocean Explorer. We will be on the Noordam in December for NZ as well as the Oosterdam next year for Antarctica.

Caught up and looking forward to the rest.  My friends are boarding when you disembark.  It's their first time on HAL as well and she's been asking me lots of questions.

This morning, she was wondering how to pack.  Would the weather be warm or cool?  How do folks dress for dinner on HAL?  If her DH doesn't want to dress, should they just have dinner in the buffet?

My first HAL cruise was on Zaandam to Hawaii back in 2010, I think.  I really loved the ship and the service was fantastic.  I hope she's been well maintained and isn't showing her age too much!

2 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

I agree fully, like I said it wasn't the lunch buffet as a whole that was bad, I made a poor selection. I'm sure I could have found something better.

Lyle try those massive dog bowls of salad in Lido Chop Chop. Healthy, lol. on Noordam few years ago food was good except for the soups, horrible. You might sample them, Young Lyle.

Enjoying your blogs, onwards !

Edited by NSWP
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, NCTribeFan said:

How do folks dress for dinner on HAL?  If her DH doesn't want to dress, should they just have dinner in the buffet?

As long as he is happy not to wear shorts or t shirts to dinner I think he'd be fine in the main dining room.  Chinos and a short sleeve shirt are fine, and quite a few people didn't bother dressing up yesterday even though it was a dressy night.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just out from dinner, we elected to share a table and had wonderful conversation. This is a good thing because service was quite slow. Lynn ordered her meal last night to accommodate her dietary needs. Her salmon looked very nice she said it was good. I had the French Onion soup to start, I don't think I would order it again. I opted for the veal and it was good but a little salty. We both had the almond cake for dessert. So far the food has been as expected, we have been seated at nice tables, tonight it was right at the stern view windows. 

As I said at the start it was a good thing we shared a table and had great conversation because the service was quite slow.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

Canaletto tonight.  Nice change of pace from the MDR and delightful service.  Food was fine but nothing special - maybe we didn't choose wisely.  Overall ok when included in the HIA package but I don't think it's worth the (or indeed any) surcharge over the main restaurant.  I wouldn't go back if I had to pay and do have higher hopes for the Pinnacle Grill next week.

• Like 1

So our table companions from dinner who we just met at the dinner table mentioned the piano player in Mix was going to do a bit of a Beatles tribute night and asked uf we would like to join them. We certainly enjoyed the music and sang along a bit. The first set was actually a mix of different artist's music, some Rolling Stones, Moody Blues and many others. We enjoyed the show and there were no empty seats. I did see a young guy walking around with a cello case on his back so I guess there's a cello player on board, we haven't looked for where ir when they may be playing. I do know the Ocean Bar band is off tomorrow. 

• Like 10

1 hour ago, JonSchick said:

Canaletto tonight.  Nice change of pace from the MDR and delightful service.  Food was fine but nothing special - maybe we didn't choose wisely.  Overall ok when included in the HIA package but I don't think it's worth the (or indeed any) surcharge over the main restaurant.  I wouldn't go back if I had to pay and do have higher hopes for the Pinnacle Grill next week.

It's unfortunate that nothing seems to live up to your expectations. I hope that things improve for you.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Just seen comedian Buddy Fitzpatrick who did a good set - a cut above the very old fashioned comedians you get on some UK cruise ships and looking forward to his second set next week.  The theatre was half empty at 9pm but I suspect probably much fuller for the earlier show.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

So our table companions from dinner who we just met at the dinner table mentioned the piano player in Mix was going to do a bit of a Beatles tribute night and asked uf we would like to join them. We certainly enjoyed the music and sang along a bit. The first set was actually a mix of different artist's music, some Rolling Stones, Moody Blues and many others. We enjoyed the show and there were no empty seats. I did see a young guy walking around with a cello case on his back so I guess there's a cello player on board, we haven't looked for where ir when they may be playing. I do know the Ocean Bar band is off tomorrow. 

Wish I was there. All my favourite music.

• Like 3

Around 6PM there was some classical music being played in the Explorer's Lounge and it sounded like a piano and Cello or Violin. It sounded beautiful. I was sitting in a comfy chair looking out the window on deck 5 near the Mix Bar and could hear the live classical music. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, JonSchick said:

............... and do have higher hopes for the Pinnacle Grill next week.

Start polling for other people's Pinnacle Grill favorites - another menu to pick through carefully. 

Indulgent as it is, we love the Hanger Bacon as a starter, and after that it almost does not matter what else we order.  It is fun food, and that is what the evening is supposed to be about. 

The Almost Baked Alaska with Cherry Garcia ice cream is not a bad way to put and end to a meal in a nice setting,  that at least won't leave you hungry. 

Edited by OlsSalt
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, cwd79 said:

Around 6PM there was some classical music being played in the Explorer's Lounge and it sounded like a piano and Cello or Violin. It sounded beautiful. I was sitting in a comfy chair looking out the window on deck 5 near the Mix Bar and could hear the live classical music. 

Yes there's been a classical piano/cello duo today, playing a nice Bach/Beethoven combination plus another set of Broadway and pop songs.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just now, OlsSalt said:

Start polling for other people's Pinnacle Grill favorites - another menu to pick through carefully. 

Indulgent as it is, we love the Hanger Bacon as a starter, and after that it almost does not matter what else we order.  It is fun food, and that is what the evening is supposed to be about. 

The Almost Baked Alaska with Curry Garcia ice cream is not a bad way to put and end to a meal that at least won't leave you hungry. 

Cherry Garcia always was one of my Ben and Jerry's favourites so this may well be on the shortlist!  Best ice cream so far on this trip has been from a van called "Gelato Fiasco" in Portland Maine - some of the best gelato I've ever tasted.  

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

It's unfortunate that nothing seems to live up to your expectations. I hope that things improve for you.

Thanks but I wouldn't say that nothing has been good... I really like the ship (not a crowded floating apartment block) which is the perfect size in my view and in very good shape for it's age.  The crew are also absolutely lovely. 

Food and entertainment has been a little patchy and not as good as previous experience on P&O or Cunard (the latter I think is roughly the British equivalent of HAL).  In fact the enrichment programme generally has been very low key.  No lecture programme or guest speakers for example.  

Food wise, no complaints about the lido actually as I wouldn't expect a gourmet experience from a buffet serving in excess of 1,000 people.  But the other dining has not yet quite lived up to expectations given I'd previously heard HAL were renowned for good food. 

I hope my comments have been balanced as it really isn't all bad!

• Like 5