Port change with no notice

LNugent

8 minutes ago, AtA said:

We have done private snorkel tours on St Barts.

I've done private scuba diving tours on St. Barts. We also did a private catamaran sail on St. Barts once - one of the best tours in the Caribbean I've ever done! It was a one-man operation - he was the captain, deck hand, galley wench and butler all in one. 😉 He sailed us to a tiny cove, handling all the sails himself, dropped anchor, served us a fabulous lunch, and sailed us back. This was about 10 years ago...I wonder if he's still out there?

Anyway...back to the topic...I do hope Crystal does a better job of handling port changes in the future, and that this is just a kink to be worked out.

• Like 1

I am also on this segment and reported to my TA  first thing this am. She was not notified of the change of port. I looked at the port calendar for St. Bart and see Regent Mariner is in port for Nov 6 .....I assume 1Tender larger ship per day is the reason for the change ? I have been scheduled to stop in St. Barts several times on ships mostly Crystal, but due to sea swells, we had to cancel . Hurricane season is starting so I expect  several ports in the Caribbean to change . Too early in the season to finalize ports carved in stone ! 
Barbara 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, LNugent said:

I have been to St Barth several times. I was just there past December on Ritz Carlton Yacht and in the past on Crystal. Again, not the point. I expected a notice with explanation from Crystal. 

You are dreaming if you think you will get an explanation, beyond "for operational reasons", which is cruiseline-speak for "because". FWIW, not every line sends out change notifications for every small change in the itinerary. As May B said in another post Regent is there that day, and I suspect they booked their slot long before NC came along.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Roland4 said:

You are dreaming if you think you will get an explanation, beyond "for operational reasons", which is cruiseline-speak for "because". FWIW, not every line sends out change notifications for every small change in the itinerary. As May B said in another post Regent is there that day, and I suspect they booked their slot long before NC came along.

When in St Barts last December there were four cruise ships in port. All tendering. 

Also it is important that Crystal revise the Jan 5 voyage description on their website which still references a stop in St. Barts; some may read this and not notice that Gustavia is no longer listed nor on the map for that itinerary.   Not a problem for me butI'll contact my TA.

2 hours ago, Roland4 said:

FWIW, not every line sends out change notifications for every small change in the itinerary.

Just like how airlines may or may not send out schedule change notices for some small changes.  I've had those 10 minute changes that had NO impact on my travel that never got a notice.

All of which goes to show:  For ALL of your travel plans, it is essential that you "garden" your bookings.  Be it air, ship, hotel, rental car or whatever.  Everyone needs to keep an eye on things and stay active.

In the last year, I've had a pre-paid hotel booking go askew about a week before I was to arrive.  Seems the hotel closed and went out of business.  Did I hear from the hotel?  From the booking site?  Nope, in either case.  I've had flights change and only find out by looking at my bookings.  Car rental agencies have just mysteriously disappeared my reservations.

So the pro tip for the week:  Only you are ultimately responsible for the completeness and accuracy of your bookings.  So pick a schedule (monthly, weekly or for the obsessive/compulsive, daily) and just take the 10 minutes or so and double check.

• Like 7

5 hours ago, LNugent said:

When in St Barts last December there were four cruise ships in port. All tendering. 

Be that as it may, I just took a look at the St. Barth's schedule for November, and on only one day, Nov 27, is more than one ship shown as in port. Don't know if they have changed the rules and have started limiting ships, but I would not be surprised. Here is the link;

https://www.cruisemapper.com/ports/gustavia-st-barths-port-459

5 hours ago, jbandkb said:

We are booked on a cruise in September 2024 and did receive notification of an itinerary change directly from Crystal and from our TA who was notified by Crystal.  Seems to be inconsistent.

I'm glad that the system isn't completely broken!  I think after getting a lot of feedback about this most recent port change mistake that they will correct the problem.  I doubt A&K would get away with changing itineraries without notice on their awsome and very expensive land tours!!

~Nancy

• Like 2

I am glad that many of you provided feedback. This will get addressed.

Flyertalker is so right. Airlines might let you know of changes and sometimes they do not. A good friend of ours was on a cruise with us ending in Singapore and with the wonderful Singapore Airlines showed up to the airport and the time had changed, they were not notified and missed the fight.  

As to the port substitutions as Texas Tillie said  I am always reminded that you never can count on a port whether that is due to a change made months before or bad weather or even a terrorist issue. But don't mess with Liverpool.  LOL.

As I said I am sure Crystal will correct this but like us they are human and sometimes make mistakes.

Keith 

• 3 weeks later...

I am coming late to this thread. I have just learned via social media, that we will not go to St. Barths. It is a pity because I like St. Barths. But it is being replaced by Marigot, which I like also. So I guess it is fine.

I would have preferred to be properly informed about this change. But it did not happen. One more thing to learn?

Ivi

• Like 1

Today we received notification of the itinerary change. Before Crystal sends out an email, I wish they’d proof it. Perhaps I should volunteer! Plus, in all actuality, I’m not sure anybody could’ve had shore excursions booked for the eliminated ports. For me and my Nov. 2nd cruise, I believe the change was made well in advance of the time we could book excursions. Perhaps I’m wrong about that.

“Thank you for choosing Crystal for your upcoming voyage. 

“Due to operational reasons, we have made the difficult decision to change our deployment, with Marigot, Saint Martin replacing Philipsburg, St Marteen, and Gustavia, St Barthelemy, which will impact some voyages, including your Marigot is a charming town on the French side of the dual-nation island of St. Martin. You will find the revised itinerary and shore experiences in “My Account” on the Crystal Website.

“While we understand the adjustment may not align with your original vision, rest assured we have orchestrated alternatives to ensure their voyage remains exceptional.

“Please note any excursions that have been reserved and prepaid will be refunded. 

“We sincerely hope that you will find our solution to their liking. Thank you for your understanding, and we look forward to welcoming you aboard soon.

“Sincerely,

Crystal Guest Relations”

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Wow that change was months ago! I still haven’t heard from Crystal about the change in other words no email for me yet. I asked my Travel agent about it a while ago she hasn’t heard anything back yet maybe now she will let me now?

Thanks for posting that. It’s really not giving me confidence it NC communications abilities!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, May B said:

Today we received notification of the itinerary change. Before Crystal sends out an email, I wish they’d proof it. Perhaps I should volunteer! Plus, in all actuality, I’m not sure anybody could’ve had shore excursions booked for the eliminated ports. For me and my Nov. 2nd cruise, I believe the change was made well in advance of the time we could book excursions. Perhaps I’m wrong about that.

“Thank you for choosing Crystal for your upcoming voyage. 

“Due to operational reasons, we have made the difficult decision to change our deployment, with Marigot, Saint Martin replacing Philipsburg, St Marteen, and Gustavia, St Barthelemy, which will impact some voyages, including your Marigot is a charming town on the French side of the dual-nation island of St. Martin. You will find the revised itinerary and shore experiences in “My Account” on the Crystal Website.

“While we understand the adjustment may not align with your original vision, rest assured we have orchestrated alternatives to ensure their voyage remains exceptional.

“Please note any excursions that have been reserved and prepaid will be refunded. 

“We sincerely hope that you will find our solution to their liking. Thank you for your understanding, and we look forward to welcoming you aboard soon.

“Sincerely,

Crystal Guest Relations”

You are right. My TA has sent me the same letter today. She has only been informed today.

1 hour ago, Keith1010 said:

This is what I have learned. Itinerary changes are going to TAs.  I think they need to go to TA’s and to guests 

Keith 

I agree but this itinerary change happened months ago and the only reason I knew that is because somebody pointed it out on cruise critic!

It’s interesting that it took Crystal months to let people booked on the cruise to know that the itinerary changed?

• Like 2

7 hours ago, seasack said:

I agree but this itinerary change happened months ago and the only reason I knew that is because somebody pointed it out on cruise critic!

It’s interesting that it took Crystal months to let people booked on the cruise to know that the itinerary changed?

I agree with you.

I did provide feedback recently about the importance of getting the word out on any change as soon as it is made.  They have done one part of this but I will go back and recommend that the notification goes out to both the TA's and the person(s) on the booking at the same time or at least on the same day.  This will ensure everyone who needs to know is notified is on the same page.

Keith

• Like 1