Dining at the Verandah for solos?

sucramdi

I'll be sailing on QM2 this November and I want to try out the Verandah restaurant. How does reserving a place work for solo travellers? Will I get a table to myself or can I sit at a larger table like in the main dining room? 

When we were last aboard QM2 in January 2022 for 26 days, it was so deserted you could have had the whole place to yourself.  We tried it once for dinner... not impressed on any level.  But, the Verandah about QV this May for luncheon was superb. We were travelling PG, too, and found it really exemplary.    

But can't imagine you cannot get a table to yourself. Group table.. I would suspect not. 

Usually they don't pack the Additional Dining venues, and when you reserve each party gets assigned one of the available tables, most of which are 2 seat tables. There are some larger tables for 4 and 6, plus the staff can link in tables before the venue opens to match the needs of larger groups. But unlike Grills and Britannia, the default is one reservation = one table. And a solo traveller will usually get a table for two - it will usually (but not always) be set up before you arrive for just one person. For lunch they will probably have people spread around but at peak time in the evening, around 7:30pm I would say, then you may be able to be sociable to the people on the next table. But yes, it's often a birthday event or some such so a bit different to the main dining locations.

Hello!   At least on the QM2, you will not have any trouble getting a table in the Verandah.  it's very rarely full even at peak hours.   It has the personality of an ash tray.  No buzz.  No vibe.  BORING.  Food and service is very good, though.  I really do not understand why Cunard doesn't put on its imagination hat and create a space that people flock to.   Music? Dancing?  Better lighting? A special occasion place!!  Good luck.

Deck Chair.  

• Like 2

Actually most of it overlooks "the ashtray"... the outside smoking area!!  But you nailed it, it's like the waiting room of a colonscopy clinic in atmosphere.  The service is forced, phony and as they say in show business, the smaller the house, the greater the effort. I think there six other diners when we had dinner.  Personally, I wish they would convert it into the Grill Lounge.  But as you say, this space has been numbing the skulls of Cunard management for too long. 

Odd, as the veranda restaurants in QE and QV are quite pleasant and busier for it, too. We'd the de luxe afternoon tea, brunch and luncheon in them on various cruises and all have been very satisfying. 

• Like 1

The Verandah on QM2 is excellent!  The food is superb and the service is very good.  QM2’s Verandah food is much better than what I experienced in the Verandah on the QE.  I’ll be back to the QM2 Verandah a couple of times on our February Cape Town to Fremantle voyage.

24 minutes ago, SEFlyer said:

The Verandah on QM2 is excellent!  The food is superb, and the service is very good.  QM2’s Verandah food is much better than what I experienced in the Verandah on the QE.  I’ll be back to the QM2 Verandah a couple of times on our February Cape Town to Fremantle voyage.

Hi!  I think there is widespread agreement that the food and service are very good.   So, the question is: Why is it very rarely full, often two third, three quarters empty?   The answer is because it is a boring experience.  There is no vibe.  No buzz. Too quiet.   Funeral home? It's been this way for years!  It needs, music and dancing, the air of the special occasion.  Romance!  Candles! That will bring people in!  And passengers will pay if you provide a memorable experience. If I recall correctly, the Verandah Grills on the Queen Mary and long departed Queen Elizabeth had food, music and dancing.  Why not the Queen Mary 2???  One reason may be many current managers of Cunard Line are apparently bean counters and have no imagination.  Be well.

Deck Chair.

6 hours ago, deck chair said:

Hi!  I think there is widespread agreement that the food and service are very good.   So, the question is: Why is it very rarely full, often two third, three quarters empty?   The answer is because it is a boring experience.  There is no vibe.  No buzz. Too quiet.   Funeral home? It's been this way for years!  It needs, music and dancing, the air of the special occasion.  Romance!  Candles! That will bring people in!  And passengers will pay if you provide a memorable experience. If I recall correctly, the Verandah Grills on the Queen Mary and long departed Queen Elizabeth had food, music and dancing.  Why not the Queen Mary 2???  One reason may be many current managers of Cunard Line are apparently bean counters and have no imagination.  Be well.

Deck Chair.

I don’t think any eating place is ever improved by music, let alone dancing. 

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

QG often has very, very soft and low key background music. It seems to make deserted lunch time atmosphere more 'warm'.

19 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

QG often has very, very soft and low key background music. It seems to make deserted lunch time atmosphere more 'warm'.

It must be very quiet, thank goodness, because I don’t recall noticing it, certainly not this year, and I am often there when it is nearly empty at lunch time. Music is so much a matter of taste that almost any choice is bound to annoy a lot of people, whatever the volume. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, exlondoner said:

It must be very quiet, thank goodness, because I don’t recall noticing it, certainly not this year, and I am often there when it is nearly empty at lunch time. Music is so much a matter of taste that almost any choice is bound to annoy a lot of people, whatever the volume. 

I don't recall it either this year but then if it wasn't intrusive, we wouldn't notice as it's just something we're used to.  It is so quiet it can be missed especially when conversing with the next table. Vivaldi, Mozart, the usual Muzak  with occasional vocal music were the choices in the past.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

I don't recall it either this year but then if it wasn't intrusive, we wouldn't notice as it's just something we're used to.  It is so quiet it can be missed especially when conversing with the next table. Vivaldi, Mozart, the usual Muzak  with occasional vocal music were the choices in the past.

Poor Wolfgang, he deserves better, he really does.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

Poor Wolfgang, he deserves better, he really does.

I like hearing Mozart as background music, but then I have no problem with popular classical music playing very softly in the background.

Much as two Wagner pieces would be in my Top Ten, they might give me indigestion if played as I play them at home or in the car! 😄

1 hour ago, LouChamp said:

Aloha.  I have traveled solo a few times on the QM2 transatlantic and never had an issue dining solo in the Dining Room nor specialty. Actually I enjoyed it lol.

Me too I much prefer it. Would never opt for a sharing table. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The Verandah is a good enough special treat for us Brittania diners.

Viewing the smokers outside is not a good thing though.

Often see single cruisers by themselves at a table for 2 or 4 .

Never heard of anyone booking a Verandah reservation requesting to Share?

5 hours ago, exlondoner said:

Hi! i assume, then, that you never went to the Rainbow Roon atop Rockefeller Center. Or any other supper clubs.. If Cunard Line does not change the vibe of the Verandah on the QM2 it will continue to fail.  Simple.

Deck Chair.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, deck chair said:

Hi! i assume, then, that you never went to the Rainbow Roon atop Rockefeller Center. Or any other supper clubs.. If Cunard Line does not change the vibe of the Verandah on the QM2 it will continue to fail.  Simple.

Deck Chair.

No. And when I go to somewhere with music, I usually request they turn it off. If they don’t, I don’t return. Obviously this is recorded music. I would never choose to eat somewhere with live music. In the case of the Verandah, music might reduce the numbers even more. Many on QM2 are getting on, many of them have mediocre hearing. Background music has a very deleterious effect on their ability to hear their companions, but you might argue they are too old to bother about.

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

No. And when I go to somewhere with music, I usually request they turn it off. If they don’t, I don’t return. Obviously this is recorded music. I would never choose to eat somewhere with live music. In the case of the Verandah, music might reduce the numbers even more. Many on QM2 are getting on, many of them have mediocre hearing. Background music has a very deleterious effect on their ability to hear their companions, but you might argue they are too old to bother about.

Hello!!  I am not talking about recorded music.  I am talking about sophisticated live dance music.  Look at YOU TUBE videos of the Rainbow Room and other supper clubs.  Of course, instead of fixing the problem you may prefer that Cunard close the Verandah and add more cabins in the space.  Don't put it past them.  PS: The big QUESTIONS for you and others:  DO YOU WANT TO SAVE THE VERANDAH ON THE QUEEN MARY 2?  IF SO, WHAT DO YOU PROPOSE TO DO?

Edited by deck chair

I think it would be interesting if they introduced table side service to prepare some of the menu items and some exclusive signature drinks. This would get people more excited to be eating there, which in turn will liven up the atmosphere. 

3 minutes ago, deck chair said:

Hello!!  I am not talking about recorded music.  I am talking about sophisticated live dance music.  Look at YOU TUBE videos of the Rainbow Room and other supper clubs.  Of course, instead of fixing the problem you may prefer that Cunard close the Verandah and add more cabins in the space.  Don't put it past them.  

Wouldn't more cabins in that space make access to the open deck even harder. I suppose not, if they left a corridor through, so that sounds a pretty good idea. I’ve never liked the Verandahs much, though I admit I’ve rarely dined in them. Live music - which invariably makes conversation difficult would certainly ensure I did not go there again. There must be other ways of making it livelier, if that is indeed desirable. Certainly more noise (sophisticated or not) would not appeal. What happens in the other ships?