Our Horizon dinner choices tonight …

Markmom18

Hi,

The only new dish tonight that we tried was the “Firecracker Branzino “ BBQ Based Branzino/a light mild fish with sliced roasted potatoes, southern greens, and horseradish cream.  My  husband loved the whole entree!!  Oh his appetizer was Clam Showder, he thought it was very good.

I had the Surf ‘n Turf ($23). Nothing special, especially the lobster, I won’t be ordering it again.

Dessert was nothing new either.  Grand Mariner (so?) and lime sorbet for me again. 

The head Maitre’d told us they keep getting diners opinions on the new dishes & suggestions. They want to really make this menu “outstanding”. 

Hope these photos help a bit.  I will post every dinner that we go to in the MDR.

🛳️ Bobbi

A311643C-34C0-45C1-9DC8-A81CA1E29F73.jpeg

213856C8-471F-440B-9BC8-DB614CCEFAB5.jpeg

5B1BC77D-7D9B-4952-87D5-1D83C31F52CF.jpeg

6628F5D8-F184-4E9E-A41F-1B211EEC1C60.jpeg

1F95A048-1C2E-4F91-A9FA-223669E3099D.jpeg

Edited by Markmom18
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 6

54 minutes ago, Markmom18 said:

Hi,

The only new dish tonight that we tried was the “Firecracker Branzino “ BBQ Based Branzino/a light mild fish with sliced roasted potatoes, southern greens, and horseradish cream.  My  husband loved the whole entree!!  Oh his appetizer was Clam Showder, he thought it was very good.

I had the Surf ‘n Turf ($23). Nothing special, especially the lobster, I won’t be ordering it again.

Dessert was nothing new either.  Grand Mariner (so?) and lime sorbet for me again. 

The head Maitre’d told us they keep getting diners opinions on the new dishes & suggestions. They want to really make this menu “outstanding”. 

Hope these photos help a bit.  I will post every dinner that we go to in the MDR.

🛳️ Bobbi

A311643C-34C0-45C1-9DC8-A81CA1E29F73.jpeg

213856C8-471F-440B-9BC8-DB614CCEFAB5.jpeg

5B1BC77D-7D9B-4952-87D5-1D83C31F52CF.jpeg

6628F5D8-F184-4E9E-A41F-1B211EEC1C60.jpeg

1F95A048-1C2E-4F91-A9FA-223669E3099D.jpeg

I only had that fish once. I thought it tasted very strong fishy. Now I see it on so many other menus but afraid to order again. Did you really think it was a mild fish say compared to cod or perch? 

I like clam chowder if it's the white kind, not the red. I hope the meals are good when I'm on dream for 2 weeks. 

On 9/3/2023 at 9:18 PM, firefly333 said:

I only had that fish once. I thought it tasted very strong fishy. Now I see it on so many other menus but afraid to order again. Did you really think it was a mild fish say compared to cod or perch? 

I like clam chowder if it's the white kind, not the red. I hope the meals are good when I'm on dream for 2 weeks. 

Hi,

I just asked my husband your question, he replied. “Very mild, I thought”.

🛳️

Bobbi

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Good Evening,

Tonight’s dinner in the MDR:

My husband ordered the Bolognese appetizer first,”nah”  , he chose the Honey Bourbon Sliced Pork Loin He’s saying it was ok,  needed to be a hotter temperature , but the horseradish gave it a kick in the hotter flavor area!  Mashed potatoes ..excellent! Green beans very good too!

I ordered a prosciutto covered chicken breast. It was too salty, and the chicken was dry. The mashed potatoes were delicious & served upon some type of squash??.

My hubby’s  dessert:  Chocolate, Vanilla & Strawberry ice cream. My dessert: Key Lime pie. Just ok.

5B108DBC-52C7-4EB7-BF45-D09243864255.jpeg

AC2B8DB6-30A3-4AEB-9E6B-CFFA3AC67617.jpeg

76D0B3FD-4D15-4E44-BC2F-86EBF9079061.jpeg

259CBB97-F111-4D95-9364-C2A2D6E1090E.jpeg

• Like 2

On 9/3/2023 at 9:32 PM, TiredTrucker said:

Everything "looks" good at least.  Even the lobster looks ok, but not great, probably not worth an upcharge.  That steak looks good to me.  😋

I agree the lobster was not worth the upgrade. And I enjoyed the filet, however my medium rare turned to medium as I ate my meal.

22 hours ago, Old Fart Cruisers said:

Normally the silver seashells are only on the table on elegant night.  Seems like there should have been a couple better choices without having to purchase an upgrade. 

It WAS elegant night, I thought I mentioned it, sorry.

21 hours ago, TiredTrucker said:

Maybe, I can't tell.  But here in Utah lobster isn't on the menu most places and when it is it is universally terrible, so what do I know.

Lol, you mean Red Lobster isn't on your list of dining options?  I've heard good things about Market Street Grill in downtown SLC for seafood.

4 minutes ago, Markmom18 said:

Good Evening,

My husband ordered the Bolognese appetizer first,”nah”  , he chose the Honey Bourbon Sliced Pork Loin He’s saying it was ok,  needed to be a hotter temperature , but the horseradish gave it a kick in the hotter flavor area!  Mashed potatoes ..excellent! Green beans very good too!

I ordered a prosciutto covered chicken breast. It was too salty, and the chicken was dry. The mashed potatoes were delicious & served upon some type of squash??.

My hubby’s  dessert:  Chocolate, Vanilla & Strawberry ice cream. My dessert: Key Lime pie. Just ok.

Prosciutto is very salty to begin with so I would expect anything wrapped in it to be salty.  

• Like 2

23 hours ago, momof3cruisers said:

The upcharge for what looks like a tiny serving is raising my eyebrows.

The lobster didn’t seem any ‘better’ than the ugh lobster they’ve been serving us for “free” in the MDR. IMO 🤷🏻‍♀️.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Markmom18 said:

Good Evening,

Thank you again for posting pics!  It is much appreciated!

I am trying to keep a positive attitude, but so far the pictures and the descriptions aren’t enthusing me. 

2 hours ago, Markmom18 said:

I agree the lobster was not worth the upgrade. And I enjoyed the filet, however my medium rare turned to medium as I ate my meal.

Overall do you think the food is actually kind of bad, or is it that it isn't making it to the tables before it cools/dries out/goes soggy, etc? Because when I see photos and reviews the food looks like it started out good but it's been under a heat lamp for 15 minutes before being served.

It is hotel banquet food. Generally ok but served slightly cool. Baked potatoes will not melt butter. I enjoy cruising but the food is only ok at best. Restaurants in my home town are better. Lobster is generally over cooked and rubbery (cheap lobster). 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, TiredTrucker said:

Overall do you think the food is actually kind of bad, or is it that it isn't making it to the tables before it cools/dries out/goes soggy, etc? Because when I see photos and reviews the food looks like it started out good but it's been under a heat lamp for 15 minutes before being served.

My personal experience is that the food temperature is hit & miss.  I also don’t expect too much, I know they have a jillion prepared dishes in the kitchen. So, probably is next to impossible to get that perfect temperature .

I love the service though!   It makes whatever choices I’ve made seem better. 
 🛳️ Bobbi

• Like 2

To me it is how high do you set your food expectations. I have read some reviews that describe the food as gourmet, delicious and other superlative adjectives. Frankly, the food is average. Chicken breast are over cooked, MDR steaks are poor cuts of meat, lobsters are small and rubbery, etc… I set my food expectations low. I enjoy cruising but I do not cruise to overeat. The specialty restaurants are not that special. I have had the BBQ on the ship and most land based BBQ restaurants are far better. I will admit, I have never eaten at the steakhouse. However, individuals on CC have stated it is more like Outback than Ruth’s 

Chris or Morton’s. The service in the MDR helps to make up for the food. I will continue to cruise on Carnival, the food is not bad. I have read reviews that indicted the food was not edible. After reading these reviews I have immediately searched the news for articles of people starving on cruise ships. I am still searching…

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

Hi,   Well we were in Curaçao from 7-2:30pm today.  Here’s dinner photos n the MDR …  oops todays lunch is in the photos too.

The Beef Wellington I sent back. I’m picky and don’t like a thick 3” tendon (whatever that connecting tissue is called) of fat separating the filet. Just too chewy!

Ken ordered the Turkey , so I just had them take the Wellington & replace with another turkey plate.  The meat was so juicy and flavored well. Just needed more cranberry relish 🙂.  I thought I took a photo but turns out I didn’t.

F6E556F9-88B5-48DA-8919-C2C002BCC2D9.jpeg

0FC86F89-CFF8-4F33-8771-3D0A75D10A48.jpeg

4B7729EA-79AC-4D9C-BC5C-A1281B4AFB90.jpeg

4BC8A0E6-1D46-4288-8D4C-77348C6401B0.jpeg

Edited by Markmom18
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1