Live from Britannia B322 - first cruise after crash

db51

LauraS
This post was recognized by LauraS!

"And another from db51! Thank you for generously sharing your time at sea with everyone at Cruise Critic! Please consider submitting it to the site for publication as well: Click: Write a Review"

db51 was awarded the badge '"Live from...."' and 5 points.

Thought I’d start a live-ish review. Today is the third day and we are in Kiel. Sailed on Britannia in October last year, both times in an aft suite so it is easy to compare experiences. This year we are unfortunately in A726, I say unfortunately because right above us is the damaged ceiling from the Sunset bar which P and O are currently repairing at night., in fact all night. They drag chairs around from midnight right through until 7.00 in the morning. My husband went upstairs at 5 to ask them to stop dragging chairs around and they carried on despite his polite request. I phoned reception this morning explaining that we couldn’t sleep last night and was told that we should have phoned last night instead of going to speak to the staff doing the repairs. This is pretty typical of the behaviour of the crew this cruise. 
Free room service comes with a suite; on the first sea day I phoned to have room service lunch - I ordered 3 salads, a sandwich, a curry and a fried chicken. I was told by room service this was too much food to order, and it was only when I explained it was for 4 people that they completed the order after warning us it would be over sn hour to deliver. It was 2.00 - our food arrived after 3

At the formal dinner on the first sea day we weren’t offered any rolls and our waiter forgot to bring my daughters soup - on mentioning she had no soup he walked away quickly. We asked someone roses waitress to get her a roll do she had something to eat. 
Generally so far food is good, crew are grumpy, and the ship is VERY tatty.

• Like 11

50 minutes ago, db51 said:

Thought I’d start a live-ish review. Today is the third day and we are in Kiel. Sailed on Britannia in October last year, both times in an aft suite so it is easy to compare experiences. This year we are unfortunately in A726, I say unfortunately because right above us is the damaged ceiling from the Sunset bar which P and O are currently repairing at night., in fact all night. They drag chairs around from midnight right through until 7.00 in the morning. My husband went upstairs at 5 to ask them to stop dragging chairs around and they carried on despite his polite request. I phoned reception this morning explaining that we couldn’t sleep last night and was told that we should have phoned last night instead of going to speak to the staff doing the repairs. This is pretty typical of the behaviour of the crew this cruise. 
Free room service comes with a suite; on the first sea day I phoned to have room service lunch - I ordered 3 salads, a sandwich, a curry and a fried chicken. I was told by room service this was too much food to order, and it was only when I explained it was for 4 people that they completed the order after warning us it would be over sn hour to deliver. It was 2.00 - our food arrived after 3

At the formal dinner on the first sea day we weren’t offered any rolls and our waiter forgot to bring my daughters soup - on mentioning she had no soup he walked away quickly. We asked someone roses waitress to get her a roll do she had something to eat. 

Thank you for reporting in, many of us find these reports very useful. 

Let's hope the work stops and you can get some sleep. 

When you say the ship is tatty, are you just referring to the recent damage or in general? 

We were on her in July and thought she was in great condition. 

We also found some of the crew (not all) to be quite grumpy. We put it down to how hard they are being pushed for 'efficiency', especially the waiters. 

Let's hope things improve and you can have a great cruise. 

Andy 

• Like 7

1 hour ago, db51 said:

We were on Britannia on its last cruise and my mother is on this Baltic cruise. The ship is looking a bit tatty in places eg carpets in corridors and public areas, seats in Crows Nest. Everyone we met  was complaining about dirty balconies ( we were due for them to be cleaned last Sunday in Palma but events meant that this was obviously aborted. Unfortunately all the balcony connecting doors in the areas due for cleaning were unlocked which meant that when the storm hit the doors swung back and forth against chairs and dinted and scraped the doors). We were not alone in noticing that the shower seals were suffering from black mould ( didn’t look to have been cleaned for years). Our bathroom sink was blocked and when the plumber removed the pop up plug we saw the drain was full of black sludge. So far as dining was concerned we were pleasantly surprised. The hot food was served on hot plates and was of reasonable quality. Our waiter Amin ( table for two - tables 198, 197 and 196 in Peninsular restaurant ) was excellent- being next to a window these tables are very nice and as we went to dine early we nearly always got these tables when we asked at the restaurant check in desk). 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, db51 said:

the ship is VERY tatty.

Sorry that you are having sleepless nights, hopefully now you have highlighted it they will ensure the noise is reduced.

If you have time could you expand on your comment about tatty? Comparisons between what has changed condition wise between October last year and now would be extremely helpful.

Recent returnees from Britannia cruises who post here have stated they found her in good and excellent condition but they are people who have not sailed on her for a number of years.  As a recent return visitor it would be extremely helpful to know what you have seen deterioration in.

I sailed on Britannia last December and she was in fine condition so any deterioration you have noticed has presumably occurred during 2023.

I hope you start to enjoy your current cruise more than to date.

Thank you.

• Like 2

Sorry to hear about the problems you are having  but thank you for taking the time to report your thoughts.

My mother and daughter sailed on her in April and didn't make any comments as to her been run down. I am due to sail on her again next week, my last cruise on Britannia being in December 2019, which was just after her refit.

Edited by purplesea

Sorry for spelling in last post- I was rushing to leave ship. Tatty means table tennis bats have faces falling off them, balls are poor. The settee on our balcony had no cushions at all ; apparently they blew overboard. Carpets look dirty, the bed settee in our room won’t close properly so you sit on a slope. Settees round the ship all have cushions in different colours. Below is photo of Sunset Lounge roof - it is now missing all its tiles. 

IMG_8241.jpeg

• Like 2

Sailed on Britannia last June and found no issues whatsoever with the decor/furnishings.

The only difference from previous cruises was that they would not allow us to leave a part used bottle of wine in the restaurant for the next night. Lots of people carrying bottles of wine round with them but we just bought it by the glass.

4 hours ago, db51 said:

In my experience talking to non public facing crew is useless.

1. They usually have no, or very little English.

2. They take their orders from their bosses, not passengers.

I will nod and smile, say good morning, but I would never dream of asking a maintenance crew member to stop work, I would always go through reception. 

The only exception was when I stopped (by standing in front of them) a crew member from washing the Quoits Court 15 minutes before a scheduled competition was due to take place. If the court was wet the competition couldn’t take place. I repeatedly pointed out the schedule to them but it took a passing officer to resolve the situation. 

• Like 2

Just looking around ship- public areas inside are in excellent condition, ie atrium, restaurants, crystal room etc. It mostly seems to be equipment and deck seating areas,  along with cabins and corridors between cabins that are in a less than ideal condition. 

• Like 3

We’re on board Britannia at the moment - it’s 5 years since we were last on her. We’re in a standard balcony cabin on A deck and have no real issues with the decor or general facilities. Our bathroom is fine, clean and everything working. Yes, some areas of carpet around the ship could do with replacing before long but no significant problems. A few atrium chairs have holes starting in the leather but certainly nothing you can’t not live with. Staffing levels seem back to normal and the vast majority are polite and smiling - our cruise on Iona last year with post covid staffing levels was a very different matter. All the speciality restaurants, Glass House etc are open. MDR food quality has been variable - the Gala/Celebration dinner was a disappointment sadly and no little extras like a sorbet appetiser or proper extra courses nowadays - quality was like the MDR basic menu too. But it is what it is, some cost cutting going on and we miss the MDR petits fours with coffee, no croutons or pretty drizzle on a bowl of soup (defo not homemade either). No biscotti now with Costas coffees or a free little cake either. But all in all, we’re happy with the ship - lovely staff, passengers and ports of call. We actually had a proper sail away yesterday from Kiel with the ents team giving it large on deck! Great fun…

• Like 9

Kiel was lovely, walked along the river from the port, picked up some bikes from outside a cafe using an app and did a two hour bike ride which cost 2 euros per person. We went back to the ship for lunch then went for a swim in the river in the afternoon in a swimming area. Weather was amazing, and as above, sail out from Kiel was good. We ate at Sindhu -my daughter described the meal as the best meal she had ever eaten!! The previous night we tried the Epicurean which was also excellent. The noises have stopped so we had a good night, and all our sofas are fixed so we are very happy. 

• Like 16

2 hours ago, Ginb56 said:

No biscotti now with Costas coffees or a free little cake either. 

I don't know why these things are inconsistent across the fleet. On Arcadia in August we had the biscotti and the free cakes. Staff shortage may be?

Edited by Cathygh

36 minutes ago, Cathygh said:

I don't know why these things are inconsistent across the fleet. On Arcadia in August we had the biscotti and the free cakes. Staff shortage may be?

You do get more for your money on Aurora and Arcadia but then you do pay a lot more! Worth it though. 

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Fionboard said:

You do get more for your money on Aurora and Arcadia but then you do pay a lot more! Worth it though. 

Maybe on Aurora, I can't say but not on Arcadia. We had an excellent waiter but even he couldn't get the kitchin to deliver our food hot, some one on our table ent his dinner back every night. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ginb56 said:

We’re on board Britannia at the moment - it’s 5 years since we were last on her. We’re in a standard balcony cabin on A deck and have no real issues with the decor or general facilities. Our bathroom is fine, clean and everything working. Yes, some areas of carpet around the ship could do with replacing before long but no significant problems. A few atrium chairs have holes starting in the leather but certainly nothing you can’t not live with. Staffing levels seem back to normal and the vast majority are polite and smiling - our cruise on Iona last year with post covid staffing levels was a very different matter. All the speciality restaurants, Glass House etc are open. MDR food quality has been variable - the Gala/Celebration dinner was a disappointment sadly and no little extras like a sorbet appetiser or proper extra courses nowadays - quality was like the MDR basic menu too. But it is what it is, some cost cutting going on and we miss the MDR petits fours with coffee, no croutons or pretty drizzle on a bowl of soup (defo not homemade either). No biscotti now with Costas coffees or a free little cake either. But all in all, we’re happy with the ship - lovely staff, passengers and ports of call. We actually had a proper sail away yesterday from Kiel with the ents team giving it large on deck! Great fun…

There was "free" cake at Costa on Aurora in July, but no biscotti, I had forgotten all about that until you reminded me.

Edited by FangedRose

No cake, free? There was on Britannia in July and Iona in March. How do I get these things?? Oh on Aurora at Christmas.

1 hour ago, Fionboard said:

Not in my experience. Cakes available on Britannia and Iona.

Must just be me.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just had a thought. There are two coffee shops on Britannia, virtually one on top of another. One is the proper Costa coffee place. The other is a fancier cafe, still serves Costa coffee (as do a lot of bars around the ship) but the cakes are "special" and paid for. Maybe you were in the wrong one?

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Cathygh said:

Maybe on Aurora, I can't say but not on Arcadia. We had an excellent waiter but even he couldn't get the kitchin to deliver our food hot, some one on our table ent his dinner back every night. 

We had that on my last cruise. Not because there was anything wrong with the food, she just didn't like the look of it, or she fancied what somebody else had got, or she just changed her mind!

1 hour ago, FangedRose said:

We had that on my last cruise. Not because there was anything wrong with the food, she just didn't like the look of it, or she fancied what somebody else had got, or she just changed her mind!

He only sent it back because it wasn't hot, and sometimes he coudn't chew it. The whole table sent back beef wellington on Celebration night as the meat was inedible.

Most people chose fish or pan fried chicken (again!).

We had the same menus as we had on Iona in May/June but somehow the standard of cooking was better on Iona. I didn't have a single complaint about the food on Iona, which is unusual for me. My DH loves the P&O breakfast but didn't like it on Arcadia. 

• Like 1

Just to clarify, on Britannia there is the Java coffee lounge for Costa (and no biscotti or little free cakes currently). The Market Cafe has the patisserie paid-for cakes in addition to drinks, or they do a good value package price for drink and cake choice. Still no biscotti with their Costa drinks either sadly…we did enjoy a little dunk!
We also miss the little jars of nuts ‘n nibbles they used to give you evenings in the bars with your drinks. Oh the good old days pre covid eh? 🫤

• Like 4